Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2019 8:55 am  #1

Good night for A10 VCU & St Joes impress

Watching St Joes after VCU game ( great fan support & venue) I found my favorite A10 player this year . Yes he plays for St Joes. R. Daly poured in 30. Slow can’t jump yes white guy baby fat set shot but reminds me of Larry Bird. At one point before Daly got tired St Joes up on UCON at UCON by 29 points. Unfortunately the new St Joes coach has an all world freshman guard from Philly to go with my new favorite R Daly. When I tuned in I thought this kid got recruited from a CYO team. 30 points inside out impressive.If you can check out St Joes on ESPN plus worth it.

11/15/2019 7:06 pm  #2

Re: Good night for A10 VCU & St Joes impress

This is something that get's lost in the discussion of the A-10 being a mid-major or not. The strength of the league changes from season to season, but there is almost always at least a pretty good team. It's not like the West Coast Conference, where if Gonzaga is off, the conference is dead.

Davidson, Dayton, and St. Bonaventure may have disappointed so far this year, but maybe St. Joe's will step up and return to being a top team. St. Louis and Richmond have looked good so far too. Last year's bottom feeders UMass and Fordham are undefeated early on as well.

We've had five different tournament champions in the last five years and ten in the last fourteen. There's been three different regular season champs in the last three seasons and seven in the last nine. Only twice in the last seventeen seasons has the regular season champ also won the tournament. We've had four different teams get at-large bids in the last three seasons and fifteen in the last fifteen.

I don't think any conference can match the balance of the A-10. Of course that makes it even more frustrating to see the Dukes in the cellar year after year. Hopefully that is on the way to ending.

Last edited by luckymcd (11/15/2019 7:07 pm)

11/15/2019 8:37 pm  #3

luckymcd wrote:

This is something that get's lost in the discussion of the A-10 being a mid-major or not. The strength of the league changes from season to season, but there is almost always at least a pretty good team. It's not like the West Coast Conference, where if Gonzaga is off, the conference is dead.

Davidson, Dayton, and St. Bonaventure may have disappointed so far this year, but maybe St. Joe's will step up and return to being a top team. St. Louis and Richmond have looked good so far too. Last year's bottom feeders UMass and Fordham are undefeated early on as well.

We've had five different tournament champions in the last five years and ten in the last fourteen. There's been three different regular season champs in the last three seasons and seven in the last nine. Only twice in the last seventeen seasons has the regular season champ also won the tournament. We've had four different teams get at-large bids in the last three seasons and fifteen in the last fifteen.

I don't think any conference can match the balance of the A-10. Of course that makes it even more frustrating to see the Dukes in the cellar year after year. Hopefully that is on the way to ending.

Gonzaga is never off, and St. Mary's is very much what I'd like Duquesne to become. It is a 2 team league though. Also, Dayton hasn't disappointed. They've only played one game, beating Indiana St., our next opponent. The A10 is solid though. I hate that Bona isn't healthy. They're going to lose a bunch of ooc games and end up with a poor power ranking, then they'll get healthy, and give league teams a bunch of damaging losses.

11/17/2019 2:48 pm  #4

OK Luckymed....name me a year in this century that Gonzaga has had an off year?  Does the conference have balance.....no.  Do St Mary's and BYU have variable years...sure.   You don't need to falsely put down the Zags to build up your argument about the strength of the A10.  The Zags would win the A10 in the majority of seasons this century.

PS:  Ask Dambrot if he agrees with you.  He has played several games against the West Coast Conference while at Akron.  

Board footera