Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2019 6:00 pm  #1

Game Thread - Lipscomb Bisons

7:00pm EST tip on Friday 11/15/2019 at the La Roche University Kerr Fitness Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #98 (2-0) vs Lipscomb Bisons #195 (1-2; 0-2 vs. D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 10, 77-67 - Dukes with 82% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 9½ point favorites; Over/Under 146
Duquesne 1-1 Against the Spread: Lipscomb 0-2 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Princeton (222); Lamar (280)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): N/A
Lipscomb Best Win(s): N/A
Lipscomb Worst Loss(es): Tennessee St. (300)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Lipscomb for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (18)
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (309)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (45); Offensive Rebound % (82)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (264)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (22); FT Rate (73)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Lipscomb Adj Offense Efficiency - 97.0, #206 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 95.5, #102 in D-1
Lipscomb Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.5, #179 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 101.8, #100 in D-1
Lipscomb Adj Tempo - 74.0, #49 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 71.3, #173 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Lipscomb 1.43 yrs, #252 in D-1; Dukes 1.44 yrs, #248 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Lipscomb 34.5%, #270 in D-1; Dukes 53.5%, #105 in D-1
Average Height - Lipscomb 76.3", #251 in D-1; Dukes 76.0", #288 in D-1

11/14/2019 6:11 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Lipscomb Bisons

Looks like they use their whole team. no one averaging 30 minutes so far and 12 guys at at least 10 minutes and 2 more at 8.

11/14/2019 6:32 pm  #3

Realtimerpi says we lose 79-77.  I'm predicting a win for the Dukes.

11/14/2019 6:34 pm  #4

Lipscomb has a sophomore big man, Ahsan Asadullah, who may be their best player.  Named to ASUN all freshman team last year; was ASUN player of the week last week.  For some reason that I cannot source, he missed the last game against Tennessee St.  No word on if he is making the trip to Pittsburgh.

11/15/2019 3:20 pm  #5

Is this on ESPN +?

11/15/2019 3:25 pm  #6

Yes it is

11/15/2019 7:09 pm  #7

Looks like taking care of the ball could decide the game tonight. Hopefully we've worked out the kinks from last time out. It should be a good early season test for us.

11/15/2019 7:45 pm  #8

It's not a pretty test so far.  First-half woes again.

11/15/2019 7:46 pm  #9

Heh. Teams combined 0-20 from the 3. 
They made to 0-33 before TDM hit one.
There were no reported injuries among the spectators.

Last edited by MikeR (11/15/2019 8:27 pm)

11/15/2019 9:08 pm  #10

Fewest points allowed since 1980. Somehow we lost that one 34-33 to St. Peter's in the NIT.

11/15/2019 9:15 pm  #11

Ellis played.
Scored a basket and one rebound.
Another ugly win.
Mediocre offense but excellent defense.

11/15/2019 9:24 pm  #12

MikeR wrote:

This is one more example of playing with no home court advantage, still, a good defensive effort.  Steele was fairly impressive. Dukes shot real bad from 3, but can't knock the defense today. A win is a win.

11/15/2019 9:48 pm  #13

I've never seen a game quite like this one (thanks again for the ticket Judge McVay). So many missed 3's by both teams the applause when TDM finally hit one was a bit funny.

It was nice to see Steele take over the game for that two minute or so stretch in the second half, but if I'm Dambrot I think I would tell him to cut out the 3point attempts. Not a single one of them was close to going in.

I think Hughes is the best player on the team, when Weathers is on he's nigh unstoppable, and Carry is just fun too watch. I really like this team, the 3's will start to fall eventually.

11/15/2019 10:04 pm  #14

MikeR wrote:

Ha!!

Mason’s Union Local 131 in the house!

11/15/2019 10:08 pm  #15

Well I've gone back as far as I can go. It's been since at least 1998 since we've shutout an opponent from behind the arc.

11/15/2019 10:14 pm  #16

DuqLaw wrote:

It was nice to see Steele take over the game for that two minute or so stretch in the second half, but if I'm Dambrot I think I would tell him to cut out the 3point attempts. Not a single one of them was close to going in.

I was seated 3 rows back at half court and KD grabbed Steele as they were passing me heading to the locker room and asked him in a tone you never want to hear from your coach what he was doing taking the previous 3 point shot.  The look on Keith's face was one no player ever wants to see, either.

Good defense the entire game.  The offense will come, hopefully very soon.

I'm happy with where we are right now.

11/15/2019 10:22 pm  #17

Another ugly offensive performance. I'm starting to wonder if the LaRoche hoops are off or something. Two games with pitiful shooting performance by both teams. There are definitely still some positives to take from them though.

Obviously the defense effort has been strong. We aren't pressing as much as we did last year, but the defense has been sound all around.
The depth is beginning to show. Everyone is hustling all over the court, not having to worry about overexerting or getting in foul trouble. Guys have had off games, but their teammates have had their backs and picked up the slack.
Seeing Ellis get in tonight was nice. He must have worked out whatever the off-court stuff was. To hear the applause when he came in and especially to see the starters on the bench jumping up to cheer him on was great. The action was too limited and meaningless to be able to tell much, but it was just nice to see him get some time.

11/15/2019 10:36 pm  #18

One game in the spacious NHL arena and the teams combined to shoot 63-120 (53%) from the field and 20-47 (43%) from 3 point range.
Two games at the tiny division 3 gym and the teams combined to shoot 79-219 (36%) from the field and 13-83 (16%) from 3 point range.
That's certainly not the effect you would expect the sight lines and depth perception to have.

11/16/2019 8:11 am  #19

This shooting is troubling. Dukes look like a 17-win team and bottom third in the conference.

11/16/2019 9:16 am  #20

Here are some quotes from Zach Weiss in his interview with KD

"Dambrot said the reason he played James Ellis tonight was so he saw there was light at the end of the tunnel and so he did not quit on himself or the team. He praised Ellis's performance tonight but said he does not want to enable him to do things the wrong way."

"When asked whether Ellis's issue was attitude or academic, Dambrot was more vague saying it was a little bit of everything, though he did state it was not a basketball issue."

11/16/2019 9:30 am  #21

Did anyone notice Trib Sports online? Dave Mackall covered the game. Probably the most knowledgeable college basketball reporter in Western Pa. if the Dukes keep winning maybe the Trib covers the Dukes as much as the PG which at times is spotty at best. Kudos to the Trib

11/16/2019 9:33 am  #22

I was really impressed with how hard the entire DU team played defense. To say it was suffocating is not an overstatement.  Bottle that and we are dancing in March.  I am not worried at all about our ability to shoot and score.  We saw that in the first game at PPG.  

11/16/2019 10:29 am  #23

If Ritter thinks we are bottom third in A10 perhaps he should check out what the other teams are doing and look at their box scores.  Not just A10 either.  Is Kentucky going to finish in lower third of SEC?  Our conference has some nice wins and ugly losses.  Perhaps these three games in four days will tell us more.

11/16/2019 10:32 am  #24

I forgot to mention that I think Ritter’s 17 win prediction is not unreasonable overall but I do anticipate us finishing higher than say 9th even with that number.  We will see.  Just keep rooting!!!!

11/16/2019 10:35 am  #25

The rims at LaRoche are a little loose, especially the one the Dukes shoot at in the first half and the lighting is average. The Dukes top three scorers were our three bigs, so that bodes well. Sixteen steal is an amazing number. Must be good coaching since the second half in each ball game has been owned by the Dukes. Very encouraging.

Board footera