Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2019 10:55 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Lipscomb Bisons

CLK wrote:

I was really impressed with how hard the entire DU team played defense. To say it was suffocating is not an overstatement.  Bottle that and we are dancing in March.  I am not worried at all about our ability to shoot and score.  We saw that in the first game at PPG.  

Agreed on defense, CLK. The Dukes’ defense has immensely improved with the loss of Eric Williams and the addition of Baylee Steele and Maceo Austin. And I think it is only going to get better as the year goes on.

3 point shooting has certainly nowhere to go but up. But, at best, I don’t believe that it will be a strong point for the Dukes, game in, game out. The Dukes do not have a pure shooter on their roster. Sin and Maceo take good shots and will make their share; we all know Tavian can go hot/cold game to game. The Dukes need to get something out of Lamar; he is the wild card in my opinion; waiting for him to take a step up this year. Dambrot also addressed this for next year with the signing of Jett Roesing, from all indications a very good shooter.

Finally, I want to shout out to Marcus Weathers, the MVP of this team so far this year. His efforts on both ends of the court make everyone better; a great teammate. And how about his foul shooting? Wow!

I am very much liking what I am seeing so far. Go Dukes.

11/16/2019 11:59 am  #27

I think it's pointless to keep kicking Eric Williams. He's gone.

11/16/2019 12:45 pm  #28

CLK wrote:

I was really impressed with how hard the entire DU team played defense. To say it was suffocating is not an overstatement.  Bottle that and we are dancing in March.  I am not worried at all about our ability to shoot and score.  We saw that in the first game at PPG.  

I'm very impressed as well. 

When Keith was first hired he was talking to a group of us and said how he stressed good defense and how important it is for players to learn good footwork so that they can be in the correct posture and position to play good defense.  I think we're seeing that now.  I can't recall seeing a better defensive performance by the Dukes in all the years I've watched them in person.  This bodes well for the future.  If the defensive play that we've seen so far continues on Bimini we could really surprise a lot of people this year, although some of us won't be nearly as surprised as others.

11/16/2019 1:07 pm  #29

Gotta say that Lipscomb offense was completely terrible from the tip. Not sure how much to take away from the Dukes D there.

I wouldn't knock the offense too too much. We're going to be streaky at times.

Glad we got 2 comfortable wins to start the year. On to the Bahamas

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/16/2019 1:41 pm  #30

duq81 wrote:

duq81, I can not seak for PR, but I did not interpret the comment as a kick on Williams.  I thought it was a valid comparison and comment about this years team vs last year's team.  Many people thought we would be worse because of the loss of Williams rebounding.  I said before the season even began that I thought we would be better defensively even with the loss of EW because we would be stronger inside with Steele, and because I thought Maceo was that good an overall player.

Speaking of the Dukes defense here is a very good article by Zach.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/11/16/inside-the-dukes-has-duquesne-created-a-new-identity/

Last edited by CLK (11/16/2019 1:43 pm)

11/16/2019 4:40 pm  #31

Really hard to read anything from the results thus far. The first three games last year were against stronger opponents. Thus far, the three teams the Dukes have play have one division one thus far, last year, they beat a team that beat Notre Dame within the first three games.
The Dukes have looked really good defensively, but they haven't played a team that really can match up with them yet. That wasn't the case through three games last year, so the comparisons add more noise than signal. 

They are winning comfortably though, so I think they are going to be credible when the competition gets tougher, but in my opinion, they've beaten up on cupcakes, cool but not instructive.

I do think at this point though, there is nothing left to be said about anyone not on the team this year, or coaching the team this year, outside of some news worthy event etc.

On to the game itself - 
I am going to chalk up the shooting to something with the gym sitting on a ley line nexus, or being haunted with poltergeists or something and not be too concerned about it. Lipscomb has been a very good team the past few years, so I was concerned that this was a game though would be tough. Lipscomb is not very good this year, and the game was not especially tough. It was nice to see Marcus play as well as he did. He seems to be at full health this year, and you can see the difference. Steele had a nice game too, it was good to see him go inside after another dismal outside shooting performance from him. If his shots start going down, I think Duquesne is  much harder to beat.  

11/16/2019 5:58 pm  #32

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

duq81, I can not seak for PR, but I did not interpret the comment as a kick on Williams.  I thought it was a valid comparison and comment about this years team vs last year's team.  Many people thought we would be worse because of the loss of Williams rebounding.  I said before the season even began that I thought we would be better defensively even with the loss of EW because we would be stronger inside with Steele, and because I thought Maceo was that good an overall player.

You’ve played 3 games against bullshit now the team has an identity?
Speaking of the Dukes defense here is a very good article by Zach.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/11/16/inside-the-dukes-has-duquesne-created-a-new-identity/

11/16/2019 6:42 pm  #33

Been to the three games.
Steele is a beast. No way he will shoot 3's the way he did against Princeton......
But he will defend, rebound and run the floor. Relentless.
Really looking forward to see how the three games next week go.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

11/16/2019 8:35 pm  #34

Been to all 3 games as well. Weathers was a beast last night as well as Michael Hughes & Bailey Steele .let's see how they do in this upcoming tournament against better talent

Board footera