Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2019 8:02 am  #1

Lafayette

Anyone going: See you there!

11/17/2019 11:03 am  #2

Re: Lafayette

Bring home a wiener!

11/17/2019 4:20 pm  #3

The women win it in OT 73-65.

11/17/2019 4:23 pm  #4

Ladies won 73-65 in overtime - trailed most of the way Amanda Kalin hit a 3 pointer with 1.1 seconds left in regulation to tie it - ladies controlled the overtime -  On a Down Note Annie Pier twisted her knee in the first half and was on crutches for the second half - once again Nina did not play although she was present on the bench in uniform and seemed to be moving OK so it does not appear to be a leg injury.

Five Days off and then get ready for Pitt!!!

11/17/2019 4:27 pm  #5

Trailed entire game until the three at the buzzer.  Never tied.   

Annie and Nina both being out is going to hurt. 

But a great comeback bring down 9 after 3.   Caroline Elliot stepped up with some good minutes.   Gritty win to win to two on the road this weekend.

Last edited by A83 (11/17/2019 4:52 pm)

11/17/2019 6:07 pm  #6

A83 wrote:

Trailed entire game until the three at the buzzer. Never tied.

But a great comeback bring down 9 after 3. Caroline Elliot stepped up with some good minutes. Gritty win to win to two on the road this weekend.

Was actually Kiersten Elliott not Caroline - When I was at the opener Caroline Elliott had her arm in a sling.

11/17/2019 8:04 pm  #7

SkepticAl wrote:

A83 wrote:

Trailed entire game until the three at the buzzer. Never tied.

But a great comeback bring down 9 after 3. Caroline Elliot stepped up with some good minutes. Gritty win to win to two on the road this weekend.

Was actually Kiersten Elliott not Caroline - When I was at the opener Caroline Elliott had her arm in a sling.

Yep.  Thanks.

11/17/2019 8:23 pm  #8

Similar to the men's game against Lamar. A sloppy game with miserable shooting, but the Dukes found a way to pull it out. We had a few moments I thought were going to turn the game around, but it wasn't until overtime that we took our first lead.

We won't win many conference games playing the way we did today, but it was nice to see the Dukes close it out in clutch fashion. We trailed the whole way, down 8 with 8 to play, rallied back and Kalin knocked down a clutch 3 to send it to OT. It was never in doubt from there, as we dominated OT. As previously mentioned, Anie Samson going down was the low point. She looked and sounded to be in agony, but was able to at least hobble to the bench for the 2nd half.

11/17/2019 8:26 pm  #9

It was a great win. Team fought hard the whole way. Most of the first half the rim felt like it had a lid on it. It didn't help that Lafayette got a little home cooking from the refs. Their bigs got away with a lot of elbows for most of the game, and there were some really flagrant fouls against us that somehow got missed.

Damn right, I let the refs know about it!

We were helped a lot when their bigs both fouled out (although it should have happened much sooner).

The three by Amanda was about as clutch a shot as I've seen in fif- uh, a lot of years of watching basketball. 

AP's injury looked very bad. It didn't look like contact at the time. She came up with a loose ball, looked like she was trying to make a move, and crumpled in agony. I was a little miffed the home team didn't provide a cart or stretcher to help the kid.

Got to meet Paige's folks -- really nice people. Coach Burt took the time after the game to talk to the DU faithful. 

Tell you what, I like the freshmen. This is a young team but a really great future.

11/17/2019 8:27 pm  #10

VBC wrote:

Bring home a wiener!

As my friend Luis Tiant (El Tiante) once said, it's great to be with a wiener!

11/17/2019 8:41 pm  #11

ElDuque wrote:

It was a great win. Team fought hard the whole way. Most of the first half the rim felt like it had a lid on it. It didn't help that Lafayette got a little home cooking from the refs. Their bigs got away with a lot of elbows for most of the game, and there were some really flagrant fouls against us that somehow got missed.

We were helped a lot when their bigs both fouled out (although it should have happened much sooner).

The three by Amanda was about as clutch a shot as I've seen in fif- uh, a lot of years of watching basketball. 

AP's injury looked very bad. It didn't look like contact at the time. She came up with a loose ball, looked like she was trying to make a move, and crumpled in agony. I was a little miffed the home team didn't provide a cart or stretcher to help the kid.

Got to meet Paige's folks -- really nice people. Coach Burt took the time after the game to talk to the DU faithful. 

Tell you what, I like the freshmen. This is a young team but a really great future.

I'm going to guess you were in the Schmidt football jersey. If so I was right behind you with the shy daughters. Luckily they weren't shy during the game, giving their support to the Dukes. I would have loved to stick around to show the team our appreciation, but we had to leave pretty quickly. It was a good showing for the Dukes 300 miles from home though.

11/17/2019 9:29 pm  #12

I’m glad you both made it to the game.   On TV, You could tell Duquesne had a nice showing. 

Crazy night in the A10.  DU comes back from nine down to win.    LaSalle came back from 20 down with 8:23 remaining to win at Penn State.    And the Bonas lose an 8 point leader with 2:25 left to lose to Canisius.

11/17/2019 10:42 pm  #13

Loved the character shown by the team. With Halle, Annie-Pier, Caroline and Nina all out with injuries and the two freshmen redshirting, we are down to nine available players. That said, when the time came, these young ladies locked it down with a formidable zone and clutch shooting in winning time after struggling for most of the game. It is a fun team to watch. Go Dukes!

11/18/2019 9:53 am  #14

luckymcd wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I'm going to guess you were in the Schmidt football jersey. If so I was right behind you with the shy daughters. Luckily they weren't shy during the game, giving their support to the Dukes. I would have loved to stick around to show the team our appreciation, but we had to leave pretty quickly. It was a good showing for the Dukes 300 miles from home though.

You are raising them right! We had your cuties behind us and a really nice alum and family in front of us. I apologize for being loud. My wife kept telling me I was scaring children. 😳

11/18/2019 9:56 am  #15

HookShot wrote:

Loved the character shown by the team. With Halle, Annie-Pier, Caroline and Nina all out with injuries and the two freshmen redshirting, we are down to nine available players. That said, when the time came, these young ladies locked it down with a formidable zone and clutch shooting in winning time after struggling for most of the game. It is a fun team to watch. Go Dukes!

Yeah, that zone was like a magic switch, Lafayette stopped getting good looks inside and out. I thought, despite the numbers, our kids were better. Offensively shots and FTs just weren’t dropping for a while.

11/18/2019 8:37 pm  #16

For an athletically-challenged team, their mental toughness was superior to Lafayette's.

With all due respect, I would never call their (current) zone formidable, but it made Lafayette have to work harder to get their shots off and limited the number of uncontested drives to the basket.  Hopefully the zone can be a little tighter (OR), create more pressure on the outside to make their opponents more uncomfortable..

Your freshman, Hamilton, is (potentially) a future dominating player.

Good luck against Pittsburgh.  Hope you get 4 in a row.

11/19/2019 1:14 am  #17

ElDuque wrote:

You are raising them right! We had your cuties behind us and a really nice alum and family in front of us. I apologize for being loud. My wife kept telling me I was scaring children. 😳

No apology necessary. I think the only ones you scared were the Lafayette fans who clearly aren't used to such a vocal fan at the women's game. Of course they also were calling Coach a whiner when he was pretty tame with the refs. I heard multiple calls for a technical, but if that behavior warranted a T no coach would ever make it through a game. This was the first women's game I'd been to in 15 years and the first road game in 8 years, so I wasn't sure what we were heading into. I thought it was a good showing for the Dukes though. We might have only been 10% of the fans, but we were just as loud as the other 90% for the home team.

11/19/2019 1:19 am  #18

sperlman wrote:

With all due respect, I would never call their (current) zone formidable, but it made Lafayette have to work harder to get their shots off and limited the number of uncontested drives to the basket.  Hopefully the zone can be a little tighter (OR), create more pressure on the outside to make their opponents more uncomfortable..

I'd agree completely. The zone didn't look very effective, but it was enough of a switch up that it threw off Lafayette. I'm not sure it will be effective against better teams, especially if they prepare for it, but it was a big part of the late rally for the W in this one. 

Board footera