Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2019 9:59 am  #1

Question about Strength of Schedule...

Looking at the Ken Pom rankings, I see that our SOS OOC is ranked 313th?  I can see that in years past when we played a collection of St. Francises, who cares Ivies and beat up on four or 5 bottom of the barrel HBCUs (always around 340 or lower) but this year it seems like we are playing more solid middle of the pack teams. 

I realize were not taking on Duke and Kentucky, but seems like our schedule is way tougher than it has been.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/17/2019 10:05 am  #2

Re: Question about Strength of Schedule...

SOS won't be accurate until halfway through the season. There's too much opinion in it this early in the season. Keep in mind also that playing at home drops your sos. If those three teams win their share of games, their power rating will rise, and our sos will rise as a result. If those teams are terrible, it will hurt us. I think the idea was to get the best teams we could, that won't require a return game. None of these games will give us a good win that will help us if we're on the bubble, but if they are the mid level teams we think they are, they won't be an anchor for our power ranking. That said, we pretty much have to win all of these games if we actually think we can be in the running for an at large bid. I'd say anything less than 11-1, and it we'd have to crush it in league play to even be considered.

11/17/2019 10:35 am  #3

Re: Question about Strength of Schedule...

Thanks Duq81.  I kind of thought that or something similar, based on a lot of recent history and opinion, like Lipscomb being regarded higher due to their Cinderella in the NIT last year, forgetting they lost a ton of scoring for this year.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera