Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2019 2:11 am  #1

Stream for Junkanoo Jam Games

Pulled this from this link, looks like there is a live stream:

“The field includes Air Force, Duquesne, Indiana State and Loyola Marymount. Teams will play a round robin tournament with a crowning of a champion at the end with the best record. All games will stream live at www.flohoops.com”

https://basketballtravelers.com/news/2019/6/6/mens-junkanoo-jam-2019-junkanoo-jam-bracket-released.aspx

11/18/2019 8:00 am  #2

Re: Stream for Junkanoo Jam Games

Watched Indiana St. lose to Ball St. yesterday. They have 2 pretty good guards in Browne and Key Not much of an inside game. I think Hughes, Steele and Weathers should be able to score and control the glass. I'm looking for a comfortable win in this one. Unless the LaRoche shooting woes follow us south.

11/18/2019 9:25 am  #3

FloHoops is a pay service.  The rate is $29.99 for the month; $149.99 for the year. 

11/18/2019 12:23 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

FloHoops is a pay service.  The rate is $29.99 for the month; $149.99 for the year. 

Great. I believe Ray Goss said we are not doing radio broadcasts and the schedule on GoDuquesne doesn't say "WJAS" on these games so the only free solution will be the live stats feed.

11/18/2019 12:35 pm  #5

I followed the link on the tourney site and it says $12.50/month.
If there is no audio feed, thats pretty bad.   
Maybe espn will have live stats, they do of most games.   But being out of country might change that.

https://www.flohoops.com/signup?redirect=%2Flive%2F16670-2019-men-s-junkanoo-jam&utm_campaign=55516junkanoojammens&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=basketballtravelers.com&utm_content=website&rtid=55516&coverage_id=6567775

11/18/2019 1:03 pm  #6

Might spring for the $12.50 - 3 games for that price is not too bad. Live stats is not very satisfying.

11/18/2019 1:40 pm  #7

So this morning I read the link above about the $12.50 charge to see the games in the Bahamas.  The $12.50 does not bother me, but I resist giving out my credit card information for a number of reasons. I decide I will just have to go old school and listen to Ray and Jarret (did not see scduke's comment of no radio).  The next thing I know a friend, fellow poster, and lawyer calls me to say he has concerns about ease of terminating the monthly credit card charge after reading the fine print.  So we are both not feeling good about this and I hear a comment by his wife in the background saying why don't you dummies just use a prepaid Visa gift card.  We both start laughing.  Problem solved!    

Last edited by CLK (11/18/2019 2:03 pm)

11/18/2019 2:31 pm  #8

Our three opponents all have radio coverage of the games.  You can go to each of their websites and click on the listen to link to listen to the other teams broadcast.

Depending on who owns the station it could require the IHeartRadio or Radio.com app.

Last edited by A83 (11/18/2019 2:31 pm)

11/18/2019 2:36 pm  #9

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

The $12.50 per month ad rate is based upon you paying $149.99 for the year upfront. If you want month to month (with the ability to cancel after one month), you’re going to pay $29.99 for a single month.

This was my sign up experience.

11/18/2019 3:06 pm  #10

A83 wrote:

Our three opponents all have radio coverage of the games. You can go to each of their websites and click on the listen to link to listen to the other teams broadcast.

Depending on who owns the station it could require the IHeartRadio or Radio.com app.

So does this mean Duquesne is just being cheap and not paying for our broadcasters to go and do the game?  That's a shame.  I bet a ton of the administration that stands around and looks pretty at games gets to fly down there and do nothing though. 

11/18/2019 3:19 pm  #11

JakeTheSnake wrote:

A83 wrote:

Our three opponents all have radio coverage of the games. You can go to each of their websites and click on the listen to link to listen to the other teams broadcast.

So does this mean Duquesne is just being cheap and not paying for our broadcasters to go and do the game?  That's a shame.  I bet a ton of the administration that stands around and looks pretty at games gets to fly down there and do nothing though. 

You asked and answered the question on your own. 

FWIW, neither Lamar or Lipscomb had radio announcers at the LaRoche games.

11/18/2019 4:06 pm  #12

I  am guessing but Ray and Jarrett could work for 1320 as independent
contractors and the station would have to foot the bill.  DU would
have announcer approval only and receive broadcasting right payment commiserate
with advertising revenue based on ratings.
I also guessing that transportation is a charter flight.  Even if Ray and Jarrett
were on the flight in a space available status, they could still be charged.

11/18/2019 5:53 pm  #13

I'm ashamed I didn't think of A83's solution to listen to the opponents' radio broadcasts since my family tells me I'm the cheapest person they know.
But someone decided that it wasn't worth it economically to send Ray and Jarrett to broadcast these games, that there are so few of us listening. So we pay $29.99, $12.50, or whatever for streaming, listen to the opponents' announcers talk up their teams, or settle for the live stats link on GoDuquesne. Just another example of how we suffer and have been suffering for nearly fifty years.

11/18/2019 7:17 pm  #14

scduke wrote:

I'm ashamed I didn't think of A83's solution to listen to the opponents' radio broadcasts since my family tells me I'm the cheapest person they know.
But someone decided that it wasn't worth it economically to send Ray and Jarrett to broadcast these games, that there are so few of us listening. So we pay $29.99, $12.50, or whatever for streaming, listen to the opponents' announcers talk up their teams, or settle for the live stats link on GoDuquesne. Just another example of how we suffer and have been suffering for nearly fifty years.

As a long time women’s fan, I used to follow mainly using Gametracker or LiveStats for road games.  With the dawn on ESPN+ lots of teams have axed their woman’s radio broadcasting teams.  Especially at the mid major level.   I miss Alex and Tad calling the games.   And they used to attend a few road games.    They do some ESPN+ home games.   But I attend those in person. 

I’m cheap too.   But I finally paid for ESPN+ to watch the conference road games.    I’m not paying for the stream either for OOC games.

11/18/2019 8:49 pm  #15

It’s 10 dollars per game.The reason for the suffering is no Alumni support dollar wise. Don’t blame the AD for not sending the radio team. Pay the fee if you want to watch the Dukes.

11/18/2019 8:50 pm  #16

Is it just me or does this seem to hark back to not sending the band or the cheerleaders when we made that run in the 09 A-10 Tournament?

Shades of "Same old Duquesne."

I think it is disgraceful that there is not even going to be a basic radio broadcast of these games.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/19/2019 8:37 am  #17

Its pretty lame.   On one hand, I understand not sending our radio guys there, I mean 2 round trip flights, 4+ days in the Bahamas, plus pay for the work they do, per diem(?), etc.   We're talking a few thousand dollars here!   Its like Bob Nutting runs Duquesne.

But, we probably have like 19 people listening to the games on 1320am.   So, is it worth it?   NO!

We are upset, sure, but we might have enough for a full bball roster.....maybe.

11/19/2019 8:53 am  #18

That's when you outsource local broadcaster/media company to do it.  You can't tell me there aren't people in the Bahamas that aren't capable of doing a broadcast. 

Heck the tournament planners should provide this automatically.  Wouldn't you want people to actually see what's going on down there?

11/19/2019 10:39 am  #19

JakeTheSnake wrote:

That's when you outsource local broadcaster/media company to do it.  You can't tell me there aren't people in the Bahamas that aren't capable of doing a broadcast. 

Heck the tournament planners should provide this automatically.  Wouldn't you want people to actually see what's going on down there?

The planners have set up a broadcast. You have to pay to see it.

11/19/2019 5:04 pm  #20

JakeTheSnake wrote:

There certainly are broadcasters in the Bahamas willing and able to do the games. Our exhibitions there were streamed live. I think IronDuke hit the nail on the head though. If we aren't willing to spend money to see the games, then the likelihood of anyone paying to broadcast them is pretty low.

11/19/2019 6:12 pm  #21

I think people are getting fired up for no reason.  It’s three OOC games.    As a primary fan of the women’s team we have had to listen to away broadcasts and hit refresh on GameTracker countless times.   And no cared when  people bitched about that.   

There are multiple ways to find out in real time when is going on in the game.  Pay for the feed, listen to the away broadcast or follow on live stats.   Would a Duq broadcast be the best?  Yes.   Is it happening? No.

11/20/2019 7:45 pm  #22

townsonkid wrote:

Its pretty lame.   On one hand, I understand not sending our radio guys there, I mean 2 round trip flights, 4+ days in the Bahamas, plus pay for the work they do, per diem(?), etc.   We're talking a few thousand dollars here!   e.

Yeah God forbid DU does something nice for the guy who has been calling (mostly terrible) basketball for over fifty years! Doing that for longer than any other announcer for any other team!  Can't afford to let Ray and Jarret lounge around the pool for a few days? We really are a penny ante operation.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/21/2019 8:43 pm  #23

We got us a win when it looked unlikely

Board footera