Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2019 8:18 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Air Force Falcons

FT attempts 21 to 5 Air Force. Another BS job from these refs.

11/22/2019 8:19 pm  #27

SteelCityVoice wrote:

Bayl33 St33l3

Lookin at that makes me dizzy.

11/22/2019 8:19 pm  #28

Big board by Steele (I really like his game, nice pick up) and bucket by Carry.  Huge!

Last edited by duquesnegraddad (11/22/2019 8:20 pm)

11/22/2019 8:27 pm  #29

Make our free throws and it's over

11/22/2019 8:28 pm  #30

Listening in and sweating bullets. This is the anti-Dukes type game this season.

11/22/2019 8:30 pm  #31

All wins are good.

11/22/2019 8:30 pm  #32

Well I guess the 2019-20 Dukes are required to play a totally crappy six to ten minutes each game. This time they did it in the second half

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/22/2019 8:34 pm  #33

A wins a win I guess but I would feel a lot better if we won by 20 points or so. Getting outscored by 11 in the second half is certainly concerning.

11/22/2019 8:34 pm  #34

It appears that Weathers, Hughes, Steele, and Miller played well tonight.

11/22/2019 8:35 pm  #35

Love the balanced scoring.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

11/22/2019 8:36 pm  #36

On the bright side, they didn't dig a massive hole this game. They find ways to win. They can be good when they figure out how to put together 40 minutes.

11/22/2019 8:45 pm  #37

DuqLaw wrote:

A wins a win I guess but I would feel a lot better if we won by 20 points or so. Getting outscored by 11 in the second half is certainly concerning.

I was thinking the same. Glad to see Hughes stay in there and have an impact. No Buckley or Rotroff tonight but the guys who played all contributed. I’d like to see Norman take over the two spot to let TDM come off the bench if he can start to score consistently.

Kudos to the Indiana State and Air Force radio guys. For being a home broadcast felt they were extremely fair and both were knowledgeable. Even some compliments for the Dukes in there.

Hope we can complete the sweep sunday. Indiana State beat LMU by 12 earlier.

11/22/2019 8:51 pm  #38

S.R.M. wrote:

On the bright side, they didn't dig a massive hole this game. They find ways to win. They can be good when they figure out how to put together 40 minutes.

Agreed, I can't help but think that under Jim Ferry, we would be 2-3 right now, based on the games that were played!

These are the kind of wins that great coaching gets you. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/22/2019 8:55 pm  #39

Duques102 wrote:

DuqLaw wrote:

I was thinking the same. Glad to see Hughes stay in there and have an impact. No Buckley or Rotroff tonight but the guys who played all contributed. I’d like to see Norman take over the two spot to let TDM come off the bench if he can start to score consistently.

Kudos to the Indiana State and Air Force radio guys. For being a home broadcast felt they were extremely fair and both were knowledgeable. Even some compliments for the Dukes in there.

Hope we can complete the sweep sunday. Indiana State beat LMU by 12 earlier.

I'd like to see Buckley get a few minutes. Rotroff has struggled. Got to pick your spots to get him some action without him hurting the team. Time for Norman, or maybe even Miller to take TDM's starting spot. TDM's numbers are down in Brandon Wade territory. Coming off the bench might be better for him.

11/22/2019 9:02 pm  #40

duq81 wrote:

I'd like to see Buckley get a few minutes. Rotroff has struggled. Got to pick your spots to get him some action without him hurting the team. Time for Norman, or maybe even Miller to take TDM's starting spot. TDM's numbers are down in Brandon Wade territory. Coming off the bench might be better for him.

I imagine we'll see some changes to the starting lineup after our week off. After Sunday we don't play again until the 4th. I'll be surprised if TDM is still starting by the time we play VMI.

11/22/2019 9:05 pm  #41

duq81 wrote:

I'm liking Miller a lot.  If he is able to pass by both Dunn-Martin and Norman to grab a starting spot I think we will be a very good team.

11/22/2019 9:49 pm  #42

Great ghosts alive!   Thats 5.   Sunday is interesting.

11/22/2019 10:08 pm  #43

Carry played 37 minutes. This is eventually going to bite us on the ass.

11/23/2019 9:27 am  #44

duq81 wrote:

Carry played 37 minutes. This is eventually going to bite us on the ass.

I agree. The Dukes look really gassed the last 10 minutes of the game, especially Carry,.  The heat, humidity and the Dukes pressing man defense took its toll.  Hopefully the Dukes will rehydrate and come refreshed on Sunday..

11/23/2019 10:09 am  #45

townsonkid wrote:

Great ghosts alive! Thats 5. Sunday is interesting.

This is just the second time in 40 years we've started 5-0 and the sixth time in the last 65 years. With the exception of the most recent (when we started 6-0, but finished 17-13 with no postseason in 2008) those other hot starts foretold some good finishes for the Dukes too.
1980: We started 7-0 on the way to a 17-10 finish including our second most recent NIT win (over Pitt no less)
1972: We started 10-0 on the way to a 19-4 finish including our most recent national ranking (#20 after a 14-1 start)
1969: We started 8-0 on the way to a 20-5 finish including our most recent NCAA win
1962: We started 6-0 on the way to a 19-6 finish including our most recent postseason final four (albeit in the NIT)
Prior to that you have to go another eight years to find a 5-0 start, but it was a nearly annual occurrence before that.

Last edited by luckymcd (11/23/2019 10:10 am)

11/23/2019 10:47 am  #46

As someone who did not get to "watch" the game, as I assume most of us were in the same boat), but I watched on the game tracker with the Air Force audio, I have to say this.

During the last part of the second half, when Air Force climbed back into it, it seemed all I kept seeing was "(Dukes symbol):  ______________ missed three point jumper...................(Dukes Symbol):  ________________ missed three point jumper."

Why were they chucking up threes with that lead instead of working the ball more and eating up clock?  That seems to me like poor game management and when Air Force started converting their threes, usually after grabbing rebounds from all those misses, put the game in doubt.

Now to be fair, I wasn't able to check the shot clock on our three point attempts, so maybe some of them were in the "gotta put something up or lose the ball" shots, but I can't believe all of them were.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/23/2019 11:06 am  #47

The Dukes were definitely taking the air out of the ball for the last 4 minutes. The intent was solid but the execution was only ok.

11/23/2019 11:26 am  #48

luckymcd wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Great ghosts alive! Thats 5. Sunday is interesting.

This is just the second time in 40 years we've started 5-0 and the sixth time in the last 65 years. With the exception of the most recent (when we started 6-0, but finished 17-13 with no postseason in 2008) those other hot starts foretold some good finishes for the Dukes too.
1980: We started 7-0 on the way to a 17-10 finish including our second most recent NIT win (over Pitt no less)
1972: We started 10-0 on the way to a 19-4 finish including our most recent national ranking (#20 after a 14-1 start)
1969: We started 8-0 on the way to a 20-5 finish including our most recent NCAA win
1962: We started 6-0 on the way to a 19-6 finish including our most recent postseason final four (albeit in the NIT)
Prior to that you have to go another eight years to find a 5-0 start, but it was a nearly annual occurrence before that.

The Dukes actually were 8-0 in 72 before losing their 9th game to George Gervin led Eastern Michigan. For some reason sports reference doesn't have the game listed. The Dukes finished 20-5 in 1972.

Last edited by duq81 (11/23/2019 11:28 am)

11/23/2019 12:07 pm  #49

duq81 wrote:

The Dukes actually were 8-0 in 72 before losing their 9th game to George Gervin led Eastern Michigan. For some reason sports reference doesn't have the game listed. The Dukes finished 20-5 in 1972.

Wow! Way to be on top of the ball. You're exactly right. Sports reference doesn't list the game because Eastern Michigan was still in division 2. Of course when you have a player like George Gervin, it barely matters who the rest of the team is. They also don't list a game against Steubenville for the same reason.

11/23/2019 12:29 pm  #50

luckymcd wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Wow! Way to be on top of the ball. You're exactly right. Sports reference doesn't list the game because Eastern Michigan was still in division 2. Of course when you have a player like George Gervin, it barely matters who the rest of the team is. They also don't list a game against Steubenville for the same reason.

Sports reference is a great site though. I use it for all of the various sports. Tons of good information. I figured you were on it because I was on it yesterday looking for the same information. Of course 22-0 in 1954 is the gold standard.

Board footera