Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2019 6:42 pm  #1

Duquesne among the twenty remaining unbeaten teams in college hoops

12/04/2019 12:32 am  #2

Re: Duquesne among the twenty remaining unbeaten teams in college hoops

Two more went down tonight in Michigan and UTEP. If we can beat VMI tomorrow we might really see some drop. Virginia, Ohio State, and DePaul are all underdogs tomorrow night. San Diego State, Maryland, and Oklahoma State are all favored, but still facing decent opposition. Colorado, Indiana, Arizona, Delaware, West Virginia, and Arkansas could all be underdogs on Saturday. Because of our opposition, I still don't think we would get any poll attention yet; but if it's down to single digits and we're still one of them it's certainly possible.

12/04/2019 6:52 am  #3

luckymcd wrote:

Two more went down tonight in Michigan and UTEP. If we can beat VMI tomorrow we might really see some drop. Virginia, Ohio State, and DePaul are all underdogs tomorrow night. San Diego State, Maryland, and Oklahoma State are all favored, but still facing decent opposition. Colorado, Indiana, Arizona, Delaware, West Virginia, and Arkansas could all be underdogs on Saturday. Because of our opposition, I still don't think we would get any poll attention yet; but if it's down to single digits and we're still one of them it's certainly possible.

I think if we're in the last 10, we may start to get some votes in the polls. We got votes during the 11 game winning streak, and also when we got off to the 7-0 start in the fall of 1979, but we haven't been actually ranked since December of 1975, when we had a one week stay in the coaches poll. We haven't cracked the AP poll since February of 1972, another one week stay. 1970-71 was the last time we finished the season ranked. The AP poll began in 1949, and we were ranked at some point during each of it's first 8 seasons. Of course if there had been a poll in the 30s, and the rest of the 40s, we'd have been ranked in about half those seasons.

12/04/2019 10:24 am  #4

You can’t get better than ZERO losses.  Excellent and great job.  With that said, is there a stat with our strength of schedule so far.  As a few of us have pointed out, the teams we have played have not been strong.  Again, we are still undefeated....but one has to look at the specifics.  Go Dukes!!

12/04/2019 11:13 am  #5

FAM wrote:

You can’t get better than ZERO losses.  Excellent and great job.  With that said, is there a stat with our strength of schedule so far.  As a few of us have pointed out, the teams we have played have not been strong.  Again, we are still undefeated....but one has to look at the specifics.  Go Dukes!!

The schedule has been weak, but that hasn't stopped us from losing to the likes of UMES, and NJIT before. We're having fun with it, and if we can string this out a while, it might bring well needed positive exposure that can only help KD on the recruiting trail. You guys complain about local coverage, well no one besides us has been interested in reading about this train wreck. Even when Ron had us doing fairly well, the non alums I know had zero interest in the team. They told me to call them when we made the dance. Making the dance is the baseline. Until then, there won't be wide interest in the program, although getting ranked will likely get some attention from the talking heads.

12/04/2019 11:23 am  #6

The schedule is what it is.  It is not the worst of the undefeated teams.  I think I will just enjoy the ride, ignore the so called specifics, and be happy.

Strength of Schedule rankings of the 19 unbeaten teams:

1 West Virginia
2 UTEP
3 Auburn
4 Butler
5 Maryland
6 Oklahoma State
7 San Diego State
8 Colorado
9 Virginia
10 DePaul
11 Louisville
12 Arizona
13 Arkansas
14 Ohio State
Duquesne
16 Delaware
17 Indiana
18 SMU
19 Liberty

12/04/2019 2:10 pm  #7

UTEP lost - 18 teams

12/04/2019 5:08 pm  #8

I'm kind of partial to Delaware since i have a 2nd cousin (Nate Darling from Halifax, Nova Scotia) playing for the Hens.  They are undefeated with 8 wins.  Watched he play at St. Francis of Lorreta and understand he is still either #1 or #2 in the nation in scoring ave.   I believe at 24.4 pts /game

12/04/2019 9:43 pm  #9

They're all close and fairly early, but Oklahoma State, DePaul, and Ohio State are all losing right now.

12/04/2019 10:45 pm  #10

luckymcd wrote:

They're all close and fairly early, but Oklahoma State, DePaul, and Ohio State are all losing right now.

Virginia went down hard tonight.

12/05/2019 12:06 am  #11

Down goes OK State

12/05/2019 1:33 am  #12

We're down to 16 now, and ESPN actually predicts we will be the very last remaining unbeaten.

Undefeated teams remaining ranked by first predicted loss by ESPN Basketball Power Index
West Virginia - 12/7 @ St. John's
Arizona - 12/7 @ Baylor
Delaware - 12/7 @ George Washington
Colorado - 12/7 @ Kansas
Arkansas - 12/7 @ Western Kentucky
Maryland - 12/10 @ Penn St.
Butler - 12/10 @ Baylor
SMU - 12/20 @ Georgia
Louisville - 12/28 @ Kentucky
Liberty - 12/29 @ LSU
DePaul - 12/30 Seton Hall
Auburn - 1/4 @ Mississippi St.
San Diego St. - 1/4 @ Utah St.
Ohio St. - 1/7 @ Maryland
Indiana - 1/11 Ohio St.
Duquesne - 1/22 @ URI

12/05/2019 3:09 am  #13

12/05/2019 7:28 am  #14

Columbia is all that matters. They whupped us when Ferry was here if I'm not mistaken.

12/05/2019 8:28 am  #15

Columbia get in line with the many teams that whupped Duquesne under that overpaid loser. This thanks to the new regime watching this team is fun. 

12/05/2019 8:50 am  #16

Being the last, or one of the last undefeated teams would be better than any PomKing ranking or whatever that site is.   There is a map of the US on twitter, daily, that you have probably seen by now, to have the entire USA covered by the new D logo would be huge!   If WVU, Delaware or OSU lose, we could gain a lot of real estate on the map.  And people actually see that.   But I agree, only Columbia matters. 

OSU crushed UNC in NC last night.

Last edited by townsonkid (12/05/2019 8:51 am)

12/05/2019 11:29 am  #17

So I dug back into the history books to see if we've ever been the last unbeaten team in our conference before. I was kind of expecting it to have never happened, considering most of our streaks comparing to this year's were while we were independent. Much to my surprise, it's actually happened five times before. The seasons will likely come as a surprise, at least most of them.

Last edited by luckymcd (12/05/2019 11:31 am)

12/05/2019 12:08 pm  #18

2014: We started 2-0 with wins over Blufield State and Abilene Christian. When LaSalle lost to Virginia the day after Thanksgiving it left us as the A-10's only undefeated team. We promptly lost the next day at home to NJIT. We'd finish the season 12-19.
2007: We not only started 6-0, but won all of them by double digits. George Washington lost on November 24th at UMBC to leave us the only unbeaten in the A-10. We won our next game vs. Cal St. Northridge to make it through November unbeaten, but then lost our next three. We'd lose six of our last seven to finish the season 17-13 with no postseason.
1986: We started 4-0 with wins over IUP, Rutgers, Slippery Rock and Robert Morris. The win over Robert Morris on December 11th left us and West Virginia as the only unbeatens in the A-10. We both lost on the road to ranked teams two days later. Us to NC State, them to Pitt. We also lost our next two to Louisiana Tech and Ohio. We'd finish the season 12-17.
1984: We started 2-0 with wins over Wheeling and IUP. Rutgers' loss to St. John's at the Meadowlands on December 9th left us as the only unbeaten in the A-10. We then lost our first three D-1 games of the season to Robert Morris, Iona, and Canisius. We'd finish the season 12-18.
1979: We started 7-0 including wins over George Washington, Western Kentucky, and Villanova. Pitt's loss at Cincinnati on December 19th left us as the only unbeaten in the A-10. We won the next day at Stetson, but then lost at Jacksonville. We'd finish the season 18-10 with an NIT bid.

So the Columbia game gives us a chance to make some history. We've never won two games as the only unbeaten A-10 team. Those pointing out how early it is to be getting excited are right too though. Three of the previous five seasons we lost three games in a row to end the streak. Three of the five seasons we also finished with exactly 12 wins.

Last edited by luckymcd (12/05/2019 12:20 pm)

12/05/2019 1:53 pm  #19

luckymcd wrote:

2014: We started 2-0 with wins over Blufield State and Abilene Christian. When LaSalle lost to Virginia the day after Thanksgiving it left us as the A-10's only undefeated team. We promptly lost the next day at home to NJIT. We'd finish the season 12-19.
2007: We not only started 6-0, but won all of them by double digits. George Washington lost on November 24th at UMBC to leave us the only unbeaten in the A-10. We won our next game vs. Cal St. Northridge to make it through November unbeaten, but then lost our next three. We'd lose six of our last seven to finish the season 17-13 with no postseason.
1986: We started 4-0 with wins over IUP, Rutgers, Slippery Rock and Robert Morris. The win over Robert Morris on December 11th left us and West Virginia as the only unbeatens in the A-10. We both lost on the road to ranked teams two days later. Us to NC State, them to Pitt. We also lost our next two to Louisiana Tech and Ohio. We'd finish the season 12-17.
1984: We started 2-0 with wins over Wheeling and IUP. Rutgers' loss to St. John's at the Meadowlands on December 9th left us as the only unbeaten in the A-10. We then lost our first three D-1 games of the season to Robert Morris, Iona, and Canisius. We'd finish the season 12-18.
1979: We started 7-0 including wins over George Washington, Western Kentucky, and Villanova. Pitt's loss at Cincinnati on December 19th left us as the only unbeaten in the A-10. We won the next day at Stetson, but then lost at Jacksonville. We'd finish the season 18-10 with an NIT bid.

So the Columbia game gives us a chance to make some history. We've never won two games as the only unbeaten A-10 team. Those pointing out how early it is to be getting excited are right too though. Three of the previous five seasons we lost three games in a row to end the streak. Three of the five seasons we also finished with exactly 12 wins.

Keep in mind that 2-0 and 4-0 is not the same as 7-0. What the rest of the league did those years really doesn't count for much.

12/05/2019 2:06 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

Keep in mind that 2-0 and 4-0 is not the same as 7-0. What the rest of the league did those years really doesn't count for much.

Very true. I was just surprised it had happened so recently and so often in the past.

12/05/2019 4:34 pm  #21

Nonetheless luckymcd, some nice research. 

12/05/2019 5:38 pm  #22

Undefeated Auburn plays Furman tonight at 9 PM and I think if you have ESPN+ you can watch the game.

Pitt plays undefeated and #1 ranked Louisville tomorrow.

Most of the other undefeated s play Saturday and Sunday.

12/05/2019 6:47 pm  #23

12/05/2019 10:06 pm  #24

I'm kind of afraid to post this because I don't want to jinx it. I turned on Auburn - Furman about 30 minutes ago after getting my kids to sleep. I was surprised it was competitive at 30-29. Furman has been on a 13-0 run since then. They're up double digits in the 2nd half.

12/06/2019 10:53 am  #25

Furman is another legit mid-major program - SoCon has been churning out quite a few of them in the last few seasons. Seems like Furman got robbed of the opportunity to win by a couple bad calls late in the game and in OT.

Every team (except Auburn) plays before the Dukes take the floor on Monday. About 5 or 6 of them are favored by 5 points or less or are underdogs, so there are plenty of chances for movement on the undefeated map.

Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

Board footera