Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2019 9:49 pm  #1

Game Thread - Columbia Lions

7:00pm EST tip on Monday 12/9/2019 at the La Roche University Kerr Fitness Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #77 (7-0) vs Columbia Lions #188 (3-7)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 11, 72-61 - Dukes with 85% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 11½ point favorites; Over/Under 133½
Duquesne 3-4 Against the Spread: Columbia 3-6-1 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Indiana State (119); Loyola Marymount (176)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): N/A
Columbia Best Win(s): Lehigh (248); Binghamton (301)
Columbia Worst Loss(es): Bryant (264); Lafayette (185)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Columbia for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (70)
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (351); Offensive Rebound % (334)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (68);  Offensive Rebound% (75)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (303)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (72); Effective FG % (90); Offensive Rebound % (95)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (30); Turnover % (59); Effective FG% (60); FT Rate (80)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Columbia Adj Offense Efficiency - 97.8, #229 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 93.4, #57 in D-1
Columbia Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.3, #143 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.9, #116 in D-1
Columbia Adj Tempo - 70.0, #151 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.8, #252 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Columbia 1.84 yrs, #135 in D-1; Dukes 1.40 yrs, #267 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Columbia 47.3%, #174 in D-1; Dukes 54.6%, #110 in D-1
Average Height - Columbia 76.4", #243 in D-1; Dukes 76.0", #296 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (12/09/2019 8:51 am)

12/08/2019 9:54 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Columbia Lions

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 53rd in the country; and a #10 seed in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=365&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

12/09/2019 11:18 am  #3

Keep an eye on #21 Mike Smith if watching or attending tonight.  Interesting player - has already entered transfer portal as graduate student for next season.  The Ivy League does not permit fifth year players or grad transfers.  ESPN rates him currently as best available 2020  grad transfer.  He has nearly one third of Columbia’s points and is near 50% shooting threes.  They also have a kid named Killingswiorth scheduled to transfer as well.  He is a starter also.  Go Dukes - and play D!

12/09/2019 12:01 pm  #4

This team is actually better than the last team we played in terms of taking teams near the end and playing tough.  We need to be consistent tonight.  Go Dukes

12/09/2019 1:41 pm  #5

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 53rd in the country; and a #10 seed in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid2=4391&tid1=365&neut=0

Ok let's put the brakes on  here!  Or (to be more adult)  "What Harvey Keitel told John Travolta and Sam Jackson in "Pulp Fiction"  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/09/2019 1:46 pm  #6

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I see it listed as a 7 seed

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/09/2019 7:21 pm  #7

That's a good first 8 minutes. Looks like we can do some damage inside.

12/09/2019 7:23 pm  #8

We’re winning 9-2. Anyone apoplectic the lead isn’t bigger?🤣

12/09/2019 7:47 pm  #9

Up 24 at the half. 

12/09/2019 7:50 pm  #10

Best first half of the year. Columbia struggling inside.I like Smith, he can shoot, find the open man, and he hasn't been gunning them up but they might be better off if he did. Weathers and Austin playing great.

Last edited by WashPaRick (12/09/2019 7:51 pm)

12/09/2019 8:32 pm  #11

About time for some Ellis.

12/09/2019 8:51 pm  #12

Woo! How about TDM‽

12/09/2019 9:03 pm  #13

Great game.  Best transition games this year.  Carrie kept Smith in check. Hughes had a big game.  Columbia has a bad record, but played some big teams close, so it's a good win from that aspect. 

12/09/2019 10:28 pm  #14

Our most complete game of the season for sure. Carry bounced back from a rare off game last time out (but apparently he was vomiting in the locker room, so I'll cut him some slack). TDM couldn't miss. Austin earned himself some good looks and knocked down most of them. Weathers made his typical contribution, chipping in in every stat column, but also put up a season high 16 points. I was shocked to see Hughes with only 6 points, as I thought he was a man against boys out there. He chipped in on the boards and defensively too though, and even notched 5 assists. The bench was uncharacteristically quiet, but didn't hurt us at all. Ellis registering a couple blocks was a great way to end the game. My favorite visual of the game though was coach out on the court urging on the defense even though we were doubling them up. I think he was afraid of a let down since we are actually getting some attention. The message was certainly received and the team answered loudly.

12/09/2019 11:06 pm  #15

That was a really nice win tonight!  

What I like most about it is that it's early in the season and this is a young and improving team.  We're going to see this and even better as the season goes on.  Not every game, but sometimes.  This kind of Duquesne Dukes basketball is going to start bringing some fans out.

I got to speak with Keith a bit after the game.  I had to thank him for the way he's teaching the team to play defense and the way he's getting them to buy into his plan.  We talked about the good defense that the team played tonight and he said something that really pleased me, that the team still has a long way to go to get to where he wants them to be.  That right there gives me confidence that this year's team is going to be special.

And for my friend who said after the game that he didn't see this thumping of Columbia coming, please refer to the quote below. 

VBC wrote:

After this ugly win tonight Columbia better watch out on Monday because I have a feeling they are going to see a very focused Duquesne Dukes basketball team.

12/09/2019 11:29 pm  #16

luckymcd wrote:

Our most complete game of the season for sure. Carry bounced back from a rare off game last time out (but apparently he was vomiting in the locker room, so I'll cut him some slack). TDM couldn't miss. Austin earned himself some good looks and knocked down most of them. Weathers made his typical contribution, chipping in in every stat column, but also put up a season high 16 points. I was shocked to see Hughes with only 6 points, as I thought he was a man against boys out there. He chipped in on the boards and defensively too though, and even notched 5 assists. The bench was uncharacteristically quiet, but didn't hurt us at all. Ellis registering a couple blocks was a great way to end the game. My favorite visual of the game though was coach out on the court urging on the defense even though we were doubling them up. I think he was afraid of a let down since we are actually getting some attention. The message was certainly received and the team answered loudly.

I don't think he was worried about attention.  He is a little like his buddy Huggins...you step on the court you give 100%.  Does not matter the score.  The way you ease off somebody you are beating big is by putting in back-ups....but they also have to learn and so they must also give 100%...especially on defense.  You can have off nights shooting but you can always count on defense if played right and with intensity.  

I hope Austin develops quickly.  TDM is best utilized as the 6th man...kind of like the Mircowave in Detroit.  He will less likely be game planned to take advantage of defensively and he can come in and shoot.  KD can dial his minutes up or down based on how well he is shooting and defending.  Just my opinion.  But it depends on Austin....TDM is a veteran on the floor and that is one advantage you will lose.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/09/2019 11:36 pm)

12/10/2019 8:54 am  #17

Game ball.  Nuff said

12/10/2019 9:34 am  #18

Columbia coached by Jim Engles, who took NJIT from 1-30 to .500 within two years and eventually back-to-back 20-win seasons and CIT bids. He's struggled to produce the same improvement at Columbia so far but still his teams are known for playing a very structured, disciplined system. Our previous coach complained about how hard he was to coach against after losing at home to NJIT five years ago. I didn't get the sense Columbia was able to do anything they wanted to do last night, Dukes pretty much imposed their will on them from the get-go and gave them their worst loss of the year. As DSnyder pointed out last year, Keith likes to schedule non-conference games against teams that are hard to play against, whether it's the highly structured systems of Princeton and Columbia, the match-up zone of Lipscomb, the aggressive trapping, man-to-man D of Lamar. The Dukes keep passing these tests. 

12/10/2019 10:20 am  #19

Interestingly,  it seemed to me that the Dukes were vacillating from zone to man, which worked effectively against Mike Smith.  At the outset  Sincere Carry made it difficult for Smith.  By the time they tried to make adjustments, the game was out of hand. You can see that when the defensive coverage on Smith broke down in the slightest (which wasn’t often), Smith would bury it -- he's good.  However,The Dukes fed off their effective defense leading to points off the turnovers… and confident shooting overall... and  Columbian loss of confidence. 

12/10/2019 11:30 am  #20

CLK wrote:

Game ball.  Nuff said

It's not the size of the guy in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the guy.

12/10/2019 8:12 pm  #21

Board footera