Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2019 7:52 pm  #1

Are there Cooper Updates?

Anyone know the current state of construction? Are there pics? Even ugly in-progress pics would be cool. Just can’t wait to see what it all looks like in the end.

12/14/2019 9:07 pm  #2

Re: Are there Cooper Updates?

I drove past it last night and the only thing noticeable is that the seats opposite the benches are still there. Everything else is gone. There is some talk that those seats are being reused and that side will not change.

I think that's a big mistake but we will see.

12/15/2019 3:34 am  #3

Arguably that side was the most complete with the tier there. I could live with that.

12/15/2019 8:59 am  #4

Face wrote:

Arguably that side was the most complete with the tier there. I could live with that.

Can you live with looking through the glass for half the court? Or seeing the camera crew are on plywood built above actual seats?

12/15/2019 9:46 am  #5

They can keep the structure without keeping certain features of it.

12/15/2019 1:23 pm  #6

Hey, if this program is just starting to get its legs, they might want to add a few more seats!!!  

12/15/2019 3:13 pm  #7

townsonkid wrote:

Hey, if this program is just starting to get its legs, they might want to add a few more seats!!!  

I was just going to post the same thing.

Last edited by coffee (12/15/2019 3:14 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/15/2019 4:13 pm  #8

I wrote an email to Mike Scerbo recently and he responded in kind.  He seems like a good guy. 

Mr. Scerbo,

I am a 2008 graduate of Duquesne University and a huge Dukes fan.  While at Duquesne, I actually started the Red and Blue Crew (I wrote the constitution which I must admit borrows heavily from Dayton) and just last season I got season tickets for the first time while commuting from Altoona.  I plan on renewing next season and the only reason I didn't purchase tickets this year is because I just had a newborn baby (our first.)  I am still donating money to the Crew as a means of supporting the dept. 

I cannot wait for the opening of the Cooper Fieldhouse and was wondering if you could answer some questions about the project.  As head of facilities, I figured you were the guy to reach out to. 

1.     Are there any plans to start a "Live Feed" of construction or something similar in the future?  I think this would really help to excite the fanbase to see the stages of construction.  I know that Towson did this with their new arena. 

We decided against a live feed of construction.  Having discussed this option with the contractor and others that have done similar projects, we felt that it was not a great option.  With that being said, I take full responsibility for not sharing progress pictures more often on social media.  I will do my best to correct that and you can feel free to follow me on Twitter (@CompliantMike) for photos to come soon.

2.     Will you be giving tours before the Fieldhouse Opens?  This would be a cool idea for the general public to get them to the arena and into a future game. 

This has not been discussed in detail yet as we are still 10 months from this as a possibility.  However, it is something we are looking at for our season ticket holders.  Check back in the summer.

3.     There was some talk on Twitter today that all of the old chairs from Palumbo are being used in the Fieldhouse.  I liked the chairs and thought they were comfortable, but I was wondering if there is truth to the notion that they are being reused.   

As this project is a renovation, there are some aspects that are changing and some that will remain.  Seating is a combination.  There are some seats that will remain and there are some that will be new.

4.     Has the capacity for the Fieldhouse been determined?  I know that the press releases said it would still be close to 4400, but I wanted to know if this was true.  I think an intimate arena of around 4500/5000 is the perfect size, with the potential for Power Five games at Consol.  Can we expect the renderings online to be an accurate representation of what the arena will look like inside?  If so, I worry capacity will be too low.  I was hoping you could clarify this. 

The final capacity has not been determined but you can expect it to remain approximately the same as the past.

5.     How is the new branding going to be implemented into the Fieldhouse?  I emailed Mr. Harper when  the new logo was reveiled because I absolutely love it.  I am hoping the branding is everywhere because I think it can really propel The Dukes brand in the future.   

Thanks for the compliment on the logo.  I will share it with our marketing team.  They worked long and hard on this project and it is great to hear the feedback.  As a side note, the logo and branding received two major awards last month on the National Level.  You can be assured the new logo will be felt in the new building.  I believe it will be exciting for all.

6.     Last question!  I noticed on the Campus Master plan that there are future plans for the expansion of Rooney Field.  I think the new logo looks great on the field, and I was wondering if there is anywhere I could find further information about the football field renovations, or if that is still a ways off?

While there are plans to make modifications to Rooney Field, we are still focused on the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse.  The University recognizes the need for some change at Rooney and it is in the Master Plan, but a timeline has not been determined at this point.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/15/2019 4:24 pm  #9

Great questions Simms!  We all were anxious for these answers.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

6/18/2020 3:45 pm  #10

Visiting Pittsburgh to see a doctor,  I took the opportunity to walk over tho the COOPER UPMC construction sight -- and took some photos that should somewhat update progress on our basketball venue.  The brickwork (as can be seen in one of the photos) is impressive indeed.   While watching the construction activity there,  encountered Holy Ghost Father Vincent Stegman who lives on campus and of course pumped him for info since he periodically follows the progress.  Interestingly,  he says that some of the newer seating will be banked in a steeper fashion -- which i would think might lend to a more intimidating (for visiting teams) setting.   Disappointingly he seemed to think that the construction is currently 3 months behind.  I'm not sure that is correct -- as i thought they were about a month and a half behind.   Does anyone have a handle on this????  https://photos.app.goo.gl/JfKCe9RV6rK2zvMX6 

6/18/2020 5:57 pm  #11

gjgsr, thanks for sharing.  Hope you are in good health and well.

6/18/2020 7:46 pm  #12

Thanks for the share gjgsr. It's nice to see the real thing rather than just sketches. Obviously there's still a long way to go, but it really looks nice. I'm even more excited now, as it looks like it will be a legit A-10 facility.

6/18/2020 10:00 pm  #13

Wow that brick is amazing... reminds me tons of Camden Yards

6/18/2020 10:02 pm  #14

Heres a tweet from today from Mike Scerbo, gives a great look at the current status of the interior.

https://twitter.com/CompliantMike/status/1273644736335810561

6/20/2020 10:07 am  #15

I went by recently also - From what you can see, looks nice but still a lot of work needs to be done!

6/20/2020 11:11 pm  #16

Those big openings between the bricks are supposed to be huge windows looking back at the blueprint... It seems this arena is going to be a real looker from the outside. It will be the prime staple of Duquesne on Forbes Ave.

6/21/2020 7:25 pm  #17

That's good because there was nothing ever to see on Fifth or Forbes.  OK, so there were the Armstrong Tunnels, the Jail, Fisher Scientific, and 5th Avenue High School.

Board footera