Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2019 8:38 pm  #1

Dave Mackall article Trib

Again glad to see Big Mac once again following the Dukes, In fact covering a road game in Akron surpasses the PG. Sorry I regress but read the quotes from Weathers about this years team buying into Coach Dambrots daily preachings. I firmly believe that Eric Williams transfer was a blessing. 20 assists today vs. Radford. Wow. This team reminds me of the Pitt Billy Knight team that lost to NC State. Chemistry for this years team is very good. Eric Who😂

12/14/2019 10:38 pm  #2

12/15/2019 1:31 am  #3

Re: Dave Mackall article Trib

Ironduke81 wrote:

Again glad to see Big Mac once again following the Dukes, In fact covering a road game in Akron surpasses the PG. Sorry I regress but read the quotes from Weathers about this years team buying into Coach Dambrots daily preachings. I firmly believe that Eric Williams transfer was a blessing. 20 assists today vs. Radford. Wow. This team reminds me of the Pitt Billy Knight team that lost to NC State. Chemistry for this years team is very good. Eric Who😂

I wrote when Eric left that we would be OK without him...did not want to criticize a Duq student.  I really thought that the Dukes would be better without him....only offensive rebounding would suffer.  All other aspects would improve. 

KD likes PFs who can defend, shoot, pass and are intelligent players.  At Akron he had a converted SG at PF.  Same at Duq.  I liked him when he was at Miami and think he has a complete game that makes those around him better.  He is a team player. I would hope those who did not think much of Weathers would now agree that he is a valuable member of this team.  Weathers is kind of the opposite of Williams.  KD has a history of winning with guys like Weathers....team players and guys who will sacrifice for the team and work hard...and smart.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/15/2019 1:34 am)

12/15/2019 10:42 am  #4

Y’all bringing Eric Up lol. You’re 9-0 and have the 344th ranked schedule. I hope Marcus would be an ok player too being a senior.. you guys are bitter about that kid leaving then you delete my comment. Stop bringing him up

Last edited by CLK (12/15/2019 2:26 pm)

12/15/2019 12:07 pm  #5

Godukes2017 wrote:

Y’all bringing Eric Up lol. You’re 9-0 and have the 344th ranked schedule. I hope Marcus would be an ok player too being a senior.. you guys are bitter about that kid leaving  then you delete my comment. Stop bringing him up

Your comment was deleted because you used a curse word. We're not having that here. Actually, I've been one of the biggest critics of the Eric bashers. I think it's juvenile, and silly. He made the same move TJ made, and it worked out for TJ. Eric is gone. Time to move on. There's too much to be happy about to be wasting time throwing shade at Eric.

No more cursing. The next offense will result in a ban.

Last edited by CLK (12/15/2019 2:27 pm)

12/15/2019 12:37 pm  #6

Godukes2017 wrote:

Y’all bringing Eric Up lol. You’re 9-0 and have the 344th ranked schedule. I hope Marcus would be an ok player too being a senior.. you guys are bitter about that kid leaving then you delete my comment. Stop bringing him up

If Eric would have graduated it would be OK to say that we were a good rebounding team and an exceptional offensive rebounding team but our team defense and ball movement are better without him. Why is it a problem because he left?? I think he made the best move for himself and it will improve his game....a win win. It is a matter of fit. He simply was not a good fit for KD type of team. Good kid and I wish him well. I am not as invested in Duquesne as most of you so it has nothing to do with him leaving or loyalty. I am not bitter in ANY way.

Jesus had nothing to do with this and seriously doubt he cares.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/16/2019 9:13 am)

12/15/2019 12:48 pm  #7

Godukes2017 wrote:

Schedule rank means zip to me. Would you be bragging if Duq had the #1 ranked schudule and 0-9?? Tell me how we are ranked among teams we have beaten. Akron has a stronger schedule because they played 2 top 10 teams...and lost both. The teams they have beaten would be considered cupcakes to cupcakes. Compare teams Duq has beaten to teams Akron or Xxxx has beaten....that has some meaning.

You're??

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/15/2019 7:19 pm)

12/15/2019 2:39 pm  #8

I edited the posts above to delete the offensive use of the Lord's name. I may not have any ability to control this in the world, but as long as I am a monitor on this board it will not be tolerated. 

12/15/2019 3:10 pm  #9

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

Schedule rank means zip to me. Would you be bragging if Duq had the #1 ranked schudule and 0-9?? Tell me how we are ranked among teams we have beaten. Akron has a stronger schedule because they played 2 top 10 teams...and lost both. The teams they have beaten would be considered cupcakes to cupcakes. Compared teams Duq has beaten to teams Akron or Xxxx has beaten....that has some meaning.

You're??

What is most impressive is that this Dukes team is winning late in the game and pulling away score wise. It's not like we are winning on the last shot, but dominating. Also, this Dukes team is holding opponents offensive well below their season averages.  And they seem to be getting better each game on each of these aspects. Winning games that you should win is one thing, but winning like they are doing is impressive.

12/15/2019 5:23 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

I edited the posts above to delete the offensive use of the Lord's name. I may not have any ability to control this in the world, but as long as I am a monitor on this board it will not be tolerated. 

Thank you.

12/15/2019 8:17 pm  #11

Was anybody ever able to locate any video/highlights of yesterday's game?

Not having a streaming service for this & a few future games is the only real thing I can think to whine about this season. C'mon DU Administration; the future you are spending all that money for is already here!

The defense is, justifiably, receiving a lot of positive attention. That is such a pleasant change. It is particularly encouraging because it isn't some gimmicky ball-pressure system that will be exposed when the longer, stronger, more athletic conference foes come around.

However, I think the foul shooting improvement isn't getting enough love. I do realize that the FT rate isn't very good. Nevertheless, I am having a very hard time remembering a Dukes team shooting 70% or better in the recent past. I know I was pleased last year because there was an incremental improvement but, I don't think they got to 70%. I am 100% sure that it has been more than a decade since they shot anywhere near 78%. ( I know one of the board's historians or analytics guys has this info at their fingertips. Looking these kind of things up on my phone sucks & I am flying right now.) Just like the defense, I really hope this is sustainable for the long haul & against better competition. 

12/16/2019 7:50 am  #12

phil95 wrote:

Not having a streaming service for this & a few future games is the only real thing I can think to whine about this season. C'mon DU Administration; the future you are spending all that money for is already here!

The defense is, justifiably, receiving a lot of positive attention. That is such a pleasant change. It is particularly encouraging because it isn't some gimmicky ball-pressure system that will be exposed when the longer, stronger, more athletic conference foes come around.

However, I think the foul shooting improvement isn't getting enough love. I do realize that the FT rate isn't very good. Nevertheless, I am having a very hard time remembering a Dukes team shooting 70% or better in the recent past. I know I was pleased last year because there was an incremental improvement but, I don't think they got to 70%. I am 100% sure that it has been more than a decade since they shot anywhere near 78%. ( I know one of the board's historians or analytics guys has this info at their fingertips. Looking these kind of things up on my phone sucks & I am flying right now.) Just like the defense, I really hope this is sustainable for the long haul & against better competition. 

phil95, the last Dukes team to shoot over 70% from the FT Line was the 07-08 Dukes at 73.8%. Kieron Achara shot 81.6%; Shawn James, Kojo Mensah, Reggie Williams, Aaron Jackson, Phil Fayne and Jason Duty were all over 70%; Gary Tucker and Bill Clark were in the 60% range and Damien Saunders was at 42.1%. As duq81 has pointed out on many occasions, this certainly was Ron’s most talented team that definitely underperformed with a 17-13 record.

12/16/2019 9:24 am  #13

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

phil95, the last Dukes team to shoot over 70% from the FT Line was the 07-08 Dukes at 73.8%. Kieron Achara shot 81.6%; Shawn James, Kojo Mensah, Reggie Williams, Aaron Jackson, Phil Fayne and Jason Duty were all over 70%; Gary Tucker and Bill Clark were in the 60% range and Damien Saunders was at 42.1%. As duq81 has pointed out on many occasions, this certainly was Ron’s most talented team that definitely underperformed with a 17-13 record.

Thank you.

12/16/2019 9:29 am  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

That team reminded me of Mike Rice's second team. Both teams underachievd, then overachievd the following year.

12/16/2019 9:39 am  #15

Kojo seemed to both struggle with the upgrade in competition & muck up the team chemistry. That group was stacked but definitely lacked cohesion.

I have always wondered if James & Mensah were working through more than the physical challenges from the shooting.

Kojo's name also makes me recall the Lewis Gosset Jr. infused absurdity of his contentious transfer to DU.

12/16/2019 9:53 am  #16

phil95 wrote:

Kojo seemed to both struggle with the upgrade in competition & muck up the team chemistry. That group was stacked but definitely lacked cohesion.

I have always wondered if James & Mensah were working through more than the physical challenges from the shooting.

Kojo's name also makes me recall the Lewis Gosset Jr. infused absurdity of his contentious transfer to DU.

I always wished they hadn't gotten him. I think Ron didn't realize what he had in Aaron Jackson when he went and got Kojo. We didn't need him, and he held back Aaron's development by taking minutes from him.

12/16/2019 10:12 am  #17

He had that classic name. I can remember the Pitt game at Palumbo where he had a big turnover near the end of the game. They almost won that game. That was a heartbreaker.

12/16/2019 6:23 pm  #18

phil95 wrote:

The defense has been impressive. We've held every opponent except for Indiana State below their season average. In fact, we are holding opponents to an average of 14.2 points below their season average. I haven't checked every team, but of the ones I checked only Virginia (21.0) and Butler (15.5) are doing better thus far.

As for the foul shooting, we are on pace for a school record. We've only shot better than even 70% 16 times in school history. The most recent was in 2007-08 at 73.7%. That season was the fourth in a row that we hit that mark. The first of them was the current school record, 76.4% in 2004-05. It's not like the increased schedule strength will have an effect either. We just need to keep knocking down the undefended shots. On the other hand, we are currently 24th in the country in free throw percentage defense. So maybe there is an effect somehow.

Board footera