Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2019 3:10 pm  #26

Re: Andre Harris Commits

And... Andre's handle, playmaking ability, & mobility are very impressive for a player with his size, strength, & youth. I love that his passing & finishing through contact feature prominently in these highlights. Someone posted that Andre reminds of a young Weathers. That is pretty good. I would add that Harris appears to be a touch less athletic but is a couple of inches taller & a much better ballhandler. The school hopping is a tiny bit concerning. Maybe DU got lucky & that scared some more sexy suitors away.

Last edited by phil95 (12/26/2019 3:10 pm)

12/26/2019 7:31 pm  #27

I absolutely agree with the opinions of kc173 and phil95 on the matter of not naming individual Duquesne players that may consider other options after this season. That is precisely why my posts do not (and will not) single out players by name in this context. It is not my place to publically predict what players may personally think or assess.

12/26/2019 10:14 pm  #28

apluski wrote:

I absolutely agree with the opinions of kc173 and phil95 on the matter of not naming individual Duquesne players that may consider other options after this season. That is precisely why my posts do not (and will not) single out players by name in this context. It is not my place to publically predict what players may personally think or assess.

I can't take credit where none is due. I am in favor of discussing these topics. I have just decided not to because it makes others upset.

12/27/2019 9:30 am  #29

phil95 wrote:

I would never have guessed that there would be two such opposed camps on the "speculating which players will transfer" topic. In deference to those whose opinion differs substantially from my own,  I will confine my discussion of this topic to personal messages & conversations. 

I can't help wonder if the folks banging this drum loudest understand that they too treat subject matter that is deemed unsavory or disrespectful by some while never being chastised for their topic choices. It would be extremely difficult to find one regular poster here that has not submitted offerings that could be/are deemed by others to be offending & damaging to players, recruits, coaches, administrators, fellow-posters, & the program at large. This sort of thing is, without fail, a matter of perspective & point of view.

Finally, it is a bit much to suggest that any of us, myself included, knows definitively which message board posts are good or bad for the program.

Phil, I don't mean to imply that discussion is not wanted. I just want people to be aware that players and their families read this board. I know this because I speak directly with them. Would you want to drive away a kid like Dunn-Martin, M. Hughes, or Weathers for next season? I can't remember the last time we brought back a starting 5 from the previous season, with three seniors and a junior leading the way. We'd be among the preseason favorites in the A10 next year, I suspect. Also, so much has to happen between now and August. Kids have to apply, get accepted, and qualify to play next season. When it comes to players, I'd like them to feel supported by the fan base.

If anyone wants to have "open house" on a topic, I'm your huckleberry. You guys may fire at will at me. I'll still like all youse.

12/27/2019 10:05 am  #30

To set the record straight, I also am not against discussion.  That is why this exists.  I merely think it unkind, if you will, to start speculating on individual players.  Once we recruit a player and he decides to cone here he is family for me.  Call me too nice or whatever but that is my stance.  To my knowledge there are only two posters who know who I am and I am quite sure my comments would not surprise them.  I assume I know more than those two but not sure.  Since coming to Duquesne in 1967 I have come to know many players at many talent levels as well as most of the coaches.  The fact that changes must be made is not in my control and I prefer to leave it that way and support all Dukes fully.  So I will not comment or criticize further / I have made my point right or wrong.

12/27/2019 10:31 pm  #31

I would make an exception with discussing Frankie Hughes, because his situation is unusual, so I don't think it's off limits to discuss his future. For the rest, I agree.

12/28/2019 8:56 am  #32

I think Frankie's name would come up naturally in such a conversation, yes, under the circumstances. He'd have eligibility but no apparent opportunity for playing time. M. Hughes, Weathers, and Dunn-Martin are all starters. Norman has played his way into the rotation. The freshmen should be given the opportunity to develop. Rotroff and Kelly are talented kids we'll want when M. Hughes and Weathers have been graduated. If you want a program, you need stability.

12/28/2019 9:15 am  #33

The fact that we are discussing the reasons why a player would want to stay instead of why he would want to go is a testament to how positively things have changed in the last 18 months.

"Over-booking" scholarships is a wise, practical measure to avoid being left shorthanded by the inexplicable, yet inevitable defections that characterize modern college basketball.

I don't think I will have my accustomed sense of impending doom for the first 6 weeks of the postseason while waiting to see which program cornerstones will crumble. That, is worth noting.

12/28/2019 3:42 pm  #34

apluski wrote:

In response to mm76or99's comment of "not seeing a Harris highlight tape" may I present some holiday eye candy regarding a major "get" for our program:

1. Andre (Power Move) Harris. https://youtu.be/XsHKDoaD7hE

2. I think this AAU clip is Harris post- junior-year summer? Two notes: watch how Harris finishes in traffic underneath. Also, around the 1 minute mark of the video watch Harris save the ball and how he gets to the hoop. https://youtu.be/k9peDu3PHLA

3. Memorial Day Classic this past summer vs legitimate talent. https://youtu.be/hImz5VLSCXI

I am ultra-hyped about this 2020 recruiting class. I look for three (probably four) departures so we may (not will) see an other addition.

Thanks for the links - looks like a very nice player.

Board footera