Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2019 6:56 pm  #1

James Ellis

I dont understand why we are not seeing more of James Ellis.Is KD planning on redshirting him?I watch him during
warmups and you wonder why he isnt playing.,He has a ton of athleticism.He has a nice shooting touch .He may
need more strength but it looks like he has a ton of potential.

12/31/2019 8:46 pm  #2

Re: James Ellis

stew wrote:

I dont understand why we are not seeing more of James Ellis.Is KD planning on redshirting him?I watch him during
warmups and you wonder why he isnt playing.,He has a ton of athleticism.He has a nice shooting touch .He may
need more strength but it looks like he has a ton of potential.

I don't think he's able to be redshirted. He was in school last year, and I'm pretty sure that year counts against his 5 year window.

1/01/2020 9:25 am  #3

I dont understand why he didnt get some mop up minutes vs Marshall.The game was out of hand with 5
minutes left and and Dambrot pulled most of the starters off the floor.I think he has been off the bench
maybe once or twice the whole year.

1/01/2020 11:55 am  #4

I read a article abeit from 1988 in which athletes who are prop 48 sit out a year  can take a redshirt year
and still have 3 years eligiblity.The roster put out by Duquesne lists Ellis as a freshman??He has played in 4 games
totalling 10 minutes.If Ellis plays in one more game he will have used a year of eligibility.Another scenario is
Ellis is chained in Dambrots doghouse  and he will not get any significant playing time this year.

1/01/2020 1:25 pm  #5

stew wrote:

I read a article abeit from 1988 in which athletes who are prop 48 sit out a year  can take a redshirt year
and still have 3 years eligiblity.The roster put out by Duquesne lists Ellis as a freshman??He has played in 4 games
totalling 10 minutes.If Ellis plays in one more game he will have used a year of eligibility.Another scenario is
Ellis is chained in Dambrots doghouse  and he will not get any significant playing time this year.

He's in year 2. He can't play past year 5, so you save nothing by not letting him play this year unless by some rule he only gets to actually play 3 years because he was ineligible last year. One thing is certain, he can't sit out this year, and then have 4 years left, as a regular freshman would.

1/01/2020 2:04 pm  #6

I am thinking Dambrot redshirts Ellis this year and then he still has 3 years of playing time.It allows him to
practice this year and gives him a chance to develop,knock some of the rust from not being allowed to practice last year. Going from City League to Division 1 is a huge jump when you arent allowed to practice
for 1 year.

1/01/2020 4:42 pm  #7

stew wrote:

I am thinking Dambrot redshirts Ellis this year and then he still has 3 years of playing time.It allows him to
practice this year and gives him a chance to develop,knock some of the rust from not being allowed to practice last year. Going from City League to Division 1 is a huge jump when you arent allowed to practice
for 1 year.

The question is; does last year cost him a season of eligibility, or is it treated like a redshirt year? If it costs him a season, then he only gets 3 years to play, and redshirting him this year makes sense. If he still gets 4 years to play, then this is one of the 4 years, and you don't gain anything by holding him out.

1/02/2020 10:02 am  #8

duq81 wrote:

The question is; does last year cost him a season of eligibility, or is it treated like a redshirt year? If it costs him a season, then he only gets 3 years to play, and redshirting him this year makes sense. If he still gets 4 years to play, then this is one of the 4 years, and you don't gain anything by holding him out.

No, as long as Ellis stays on course to graduate on time (in spring 2022), he will have four years of eligibility, so three more after this year. Same rule that applied to Jordan Robinson. Redshirting him this year would serve no purpose as athletes only get five years to complete their four years of eligibility. The old Prop 48 used to cost recruits who were academic non-qualifiers a season of eligibility but that rule was changed some time ago. 

1/02/2020 11:19 am  #9

DennisC91 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

No, as long as Ellis stays on course to graduate on time (in spring 2022), he will have four years of eligibility, so three more after this year. Same rule that applied to Jordan Robinson. Redshirting him this year would serve no purpose as athletes only get five years to complete their four years of eligibility. The old Prop 48 used to cost recruits who were academic non-qualifiers a season of eligibility but that rule was changed some time ago. 

That's what I thought. You could not play him but it wouldn't be considered a red shirt.

1/07/2020 4:03 pm  #10

With the news of Amari Kelly redshirting... does that change KD's view on Ellis? Do you think we'll see him get some minutes now? Or is he still in his doghouse? Just curious if anyone has heard anything.

1/07/2020 5:06 pm  #11

StillatShales wrote:

With the news of Amari Kelly redshirting... does that change KD's view on Ellis? Do you think we'll see him get some minutes now? Or is he still in his doghouse? Just curious if anyone has heard anything.

I don't see where it makes a difference. Kelly wasn't playing, so it's not like some minutes are opening up. KD said he can't find minutes for Rotroff, so don't expect to see Ellis unless we blow someone out. Our next three games are against the three worst teams in the league, so there might be a chance for those guys to leave the bench.

1/08/2020 12:04 am  #12

For the St. Jos game on their home court,  they aren't going to be easy.  Watched them against Villanova where they stayed in the game for quite awhile -- as they did with Dayton --  before the roof fell in.    Although from the video, it looks like Dayton coasted defensively for the first half.  

1/08/2020 8:41 am  #13

Playing Villanova, a philly team, and Dayton, they would get "up" for those games vs nationally known teams compared to playing Duquesne.   St Joes could sleep walk into this one tonight, and if our guys are sharp, we can win bigly.   But nothing is for certain.

1/08/2020 9:10 am  #14

On James Ellis, it's my understanding he's already played in too many games this season to be redshirted.
On St. Joe's-Dayton, Obi Toppin was in foul trouble and sat for a large portion of the game (he played only 21 minutes). That might explain the Flyers' struggles in that game on Hawk Hill.

1/08/2020 9:48 am  #15

Crosseye wrote:

On James Ellis, it's my understanding he's already played in too many games this season to be redshirted.
On St. Joe's-Dayton, Obi Toppin was in foul trouble and sat for a large portion of the game (he played only 21 minutes). That might explain the Flyers' struggles in that game on Hawk Hill.

For the thousandth time, James Ellis can't be redshirted. Last year basically counts as his redshirt year, as he was in school. It doesn't matter that he wasn't on scholarship, the year counts as part of his 5 year window.  2022-23 will be his last year, regardless of anything we do with him, he can't play past that. You can't save a year for him by sitting him.

1/08/2020 3:37 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

For the thousandth time, James Ellis can't be redshirted. Last year basically counts as his redshirt year, as he was in school. It doesn't matter that he wasn't on scholarship, the year counts as part of his 5 year window.  2022-23 will be his last year, regardless of anything we do with him, he can't play past that. You can't save a year for him by sitting him.

I imagine your reply is directed at anyone who doesn't understand that Ellis can't be redshirted this year -- for whatever the reason might be. There have been several posts on this thread suggesting a redshirt. If not for being in school, if there was any redshirt consideration now, he actually could be redshirted because the current NCAA rule states you can't play in more than four games. Ellis has played in four games. So my original statement wasn't correct. He is at the limit of games you could play and still be redshirted. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up for the thousandth time. Your reply surely wasn't directed at my post, though, even though my post was included as reference. We agree Ellis can't be redshirted. See, I guess I don't particularly care for the "thousandth time" part. Makes you sound like you want to lecture people.

1/08/2020 3:45 pm  #17

I still think we should red-shirt Ellis

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/08/2020 9:28 pm  #18

Crosseye wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

I imagine your reply is directed at anyone who doesn't understand that Ellis can't be redshirted this year -- for whatever the reason might be. There have been several posts on this thread suggesting a redshirt. If not for being in school, if there was any redshirt consideration now, he actually could be redshirted because the current NCAA rule states you can't play in more than four games. Ellis has played in four games. So my original statement wasn't correct. He is at the limit of games you could play and still be redshirted. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up for the thousandth time. Your reply surely wasn't directed at my post, though, even though my post was included as reference. We agree Ellis can't be redshirted. See, I guess I don't particularly care for the "thousandth time" part. Makes you sound like you want to lecture people.

Don't take it personally, it just gets old seeing misinformation being posted again and again. We want to keep the board readable, not boring posters with the same things being posted again and again, especially when it's incorrect information. We're not always right, so don't hesitate to correct us if we post faulty information. It's not easy running a message board, but the three of us (myself, ElDuque, and CLK) have been at it going on 2 decades. It's a labor of love. Tip of the hat to the posters that have been with us for most, or all of the ride, as we appear to finally be at the entrance to the promised land. 😁😀😜😅

1/08/2020 9:56 pm  #19

Anyone know or have a good guess of what went on at the end of the game with Ellis?  The ref was giving him a good talking to and then he was sent out or pulled out of the game. Then Dambrot confronted him.

He is acting like a 7 foot mascot.

1/08/2020 10:03 pm  #20

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Anyone know or have a good guess of what went on at the end of the game with Ellis? The ref was giving him a good talking to and then he was sent out or pulled out of the game. Then Dambrot confronted him.

Since Ellis wasn't tossed out, there was no foul, and the official talked Dambrot into pulling him - best guess is that James said the wrong thing to somebody, and it had to be pretty bad.  

1/08/2020 10:20 pm  #21

applecorps wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Anyone know or have a good guess of what went on at the end of the game with Ellis? The ref was giving him a good talking to and then he was sent out or pulled out of the game. Then Dambrot confronted him.

Since Ellis wasn't tossed out, there was no foul, and the official talked Dambrot into pulling him - best guess is that James said the wrong thing to somebody, and it had to be pretty bad.  

Not good.

1/09/2020 3:07 am  #22

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I was sitting right under that hoop and I still couldn't tell. On the foul shots he was facing away from the shot talking to the St. Joe's player who would have been boxing him out. It looked like playful trash talking, but the ref clearly didn't like it. Before the first shot he pointed to Dambrot indicating he had to come out. After the first shot he was right back to talking and everyone seemed to think the ref was going to let it go. Then after the second shot he indicated he still had to come out. I couldn't hear what he was saying or read his lips, but the ref looked like he would have T'd him up under different circumstances.

James looks to have a great attitude. 7 foot mascot is a great description. He's the team's biggest cheerleader on the bench and seems to get along with everyone on the team. I was thinking just before the foul that he's a glue guy on the team, which is unusual considering how young he is and how few minutes he's getting. He might have crossed the line this time though. The ref was really bothered by whatever he said. Coach didn't look too angry, but clearly had to say something after the ref made such a big deal out of it.

1/09/2020 8:00 am  #23

Rotroff and Ellis looked decent in their limited time.   Rotroff had a bounce in his step, and Ellis looks like he could be a force in the paint.   Hopefully KD keeps them involved with the program.   Neither might not get much PT until they are seniors.   Must be tough to sit that much, so its up to KD IMO to not let them waste away, they are both talented, Rotroff on offense more, and Ellis on defense.   

1/09/2020 9:15 am  #24

townsonkid wrote:

Rotroff and Ellis looked decent in their limited time.   Rotroff had a bounce in his step, and Ellis looks like he could be a force in the paint.   Hopefully KD keeps them involved with the program.   Neither might not get much PT until they are seniors.   Must be tough to sit that much, so its up to KD IMO to not let them waste away, they are both talented, Rotroff on offense more, and Ellis on defense.   

Maybe Rotroff is finally getting confidence in his knee. Would be nice if KD could trust him to play 8-9 minutes a game, and maybe Ellis half that. Would help keep Hughes, and Weathers fresh.

1/09/2020 9:22 am  #25

Its been about one full year now for Rotroff, that probably crosses a time component that says you should be X-Y-Z at this point.    Maybe it takes off the restricter plates?   IDK.    

Ellis, maybe we saw last night why KD keeps him on the bench mostly, he needs to mature....but the ability sure does seem to be there.   How many times do you see a ref basically suggest a player be removed from the game(if thats what happened)?   Again, IDK.   Regarldess, hopefully it was a lesson learned.

Board footera