Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2020 9:39 am  #1

The Coop and RMU's UPMC

I sort of criticized the RMU facility in the other thread.  Wednesday night was my first time at the UPMC Events Center and I generally liked it.  But I'd still like to see us learn from some of the things RMU did at their center and avoid them in the Coop.

In no particular order:

- Seats could be spaced a bit better (and a bit wider for older folks like me who have an addiction to food) though they are more solid than our old blue section seats were.  It felt like you were sitting in a firm seat to watch the game and not in a row that rocked whenever someone 3 seats down decided to get up or sit down (as at AJP).  Hopefully our seating will have a firmer feel like these and not like they are connected to each other so that you feel everything.  The seats assigned were in the upper section across from the Duke's bench and right along the front row where a metal barrier was placed.  They seemed a little low considering their location in that it almost seemed like people in lower level seats were just high enough to block some of the court.

- Nice wide concourses but coming up from the first parking lot they seemed empty (of course, we didn't fill the place though the crowd was decent by AJP standards).  Perhaps RMU will put something more there?  Also somewhat surprised at the main entry gate (People's Gate) required you to go up steps to get to the main seating area.  I did see an elevator down the hall though it was a bit hidden and I assume the other gates may be better for people who need assistance?

- I was surprised that the student section was bleacher seating.  Is that typical now in a student section?  Never been to the Pete so I have no idea if that's intentional.  If I recall from a visit to the Dean Smith Center at UNC, all the seats are chairback. 

- Concession stands from the entry I took were small and looked like what we had at AJP.  In fact, the facility overall seemed like a small version of AJP from roof to floor.  I'm not sure that I like that.

- Not sure if the RMU facility had some appeal because it was bright, shiny and new.  I didn't see much in the way of direction signs to help where to go but that could have been just getting used to a new facility.

I am curious what others who may have been there thought and what you liked and didn't.  I may be going too easy on RMU but I didn't want to disrespect them here.  They have a nice facility that meets their needs.  I hope we can improve on that.

I realize the main impetus behind a new center is to allow the athletes and teams a much better and more attractive facility to work in.  Still we want to attract people to watch games too so I hope there are some of you out there with the AD's ear who are providing some input.  I use the example of Heinz Field, built a bit after it had PNC Park to use as an example of what can work.  I don't think the Heinz architects paid attention.  I hope that we are looking to make the place attractive like a competitive, top team should have. 

1/03/2020 10:00 am  #2

Re: The Coop and RMU's UPMC

I noticed similarities to Palumbo as well. One being inadequate concessions. Also thought the lower level seats were maybe not high enough. We were sitting across from the DU bench and when the play went down the other end it was hard to see what was going on. Overall a pretty nice facility but certainly hoping our new place will clearly outshine

1/03/2020 10:00 am  #3

The fact that these type of buildings have to be built so multi-purpose means a lot of compromising on amenities. This will be true of the Coop as well. If they get the seating, restrooms, and concessions right it will be a big improvement. Might be too late to make any changes at this point. The original architectural drawings were encouraging. I have become a fan of standing areas at ballparks and it looks like the drawings show some of that. 

1/03/2020 10:58 am  #4

MikeR wrote:

The fact that these type of buildings have to be built so multi-purpose means a lot of compromising on amenities. This will be true of the Coop as well. If they get the seating, restrooms, and concessions right it will be a big improvement. Might be too late to make any changes at this point. The original architectural drawings were encouraging. I have become a fan of standing areas at ballparks and it looks like the drawings show some of that. 

Mike -  I agree about standing.  Maybe it was because I've had some back and knee issues but I spent a lot of time standing at AJP.  It helped that my seats were in the last row of the blue seats across from the Duke's bench so I could easily do that. 

1/03/2020 11:31 am  #5

I'll share my own thoughts and try to respond to Mulder's as I see them. The first thing I noticed is that it is really bright and noise carries well, and I'm noticing that when we might have filled that place up about 1/4 full. That place was probably rocking for Pitt and I hope the acoustics are as good in the new place at RMU.

The entry concourse from the gate I entered from was noticeably spacious compared to the Forbes side of AJP. On the Duq campus side of AJP, the entry forum helps a lot. This seemed similar

Please note that I came from the other parking lot and went in on the upstairs gate and went downstairs to enter the main seating arena, not the gate Mulder went in. There was an elevator up there as well.

I have complained, probably unintelligible, when they changed the student section at AJP to chairbacks. The student section is meant for standing and cramming as many people in as possible - and it also makes it hard to jump rows when theres chairbacks. IMO this was a smart move on RMU's part both to increase listed capacity and for atmosphere in big games.

The signage of the Colonial logo is really nice, big and can be seen from far away both indoors and outdoors. The graphic packages were really sharp and colorful, which I guess is a testament to the stadium and Duquesne for sending it to RMU. Felt surprisingly at home.

The seats are much sturdier and, since I move around and jump up a lot at big moments in games, I didnt feel like I rocked the whole row of seating, which is helpful to others. I have no comments about the seat width.

I thought there were far more directional signage than in the AJP, although the concourse to the restrooms kinda felt like I was in a class hallway and not in the area I was supposed to be.

Concession stands do seem pretty meh. The chic-fil-a one wasnt well placed and caused a traffic jam during halftime right next to the larger sideline of seating. The concourses behind that sideline and all the way behind the opposite endzone (opposite of student section) was very roomy but it was hard to tell that concessions were back there. Not sure if you all realized there were additional ones back there, but what I think was the biggest one was closed

Overall, that's a very good arena especially for RMU's standards. I rate it pretty highly and I hope the Coop has a lot of similar elements. I look forward to driving there much more than La Roche

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/03/2020 12:22 pm  #6

I couldnt make it out last night, but it looked good on espn+, when they werent having tech difficulties.   Besides the center court logo and Rob Morris at the baselines, it looked like it could have been our place, the red seats with our white uniforms looked good.

1/03/2020 12:49 pm  #7

I was there last night...  UPMC (RMU) is a very nice facility.   I was appalled there were few if any DUQ students there.  I was told that the students weren't back from holiday break and that was the reason.   Sorry but by January 3rd gotta believe that some were already back, and certainly there are some Duquesne students living in the Western PA that could have been there.  There's no doubt that student support has been eroded over recent years and that  improving relations with them must be a priority.  To that end then, an extra effort to reach out to them needs to be made.  Were buses made available at the Duquesne campus or some collecting point for the students to come out to the game??   Would highly recommend they do so-- now maybe at least for the Davidson game.  

1/03/2020 1:23 pm  #8

New arena looked beautiful.  Sound system was really good, which let our buddy Dom Errico aka SteelCityVoice shine.  Nice job on the anthem by the way, hope this is a new regular thing!

Graphics and signage were nice all around.  Thought the hallway back by the bathrooms seemed a bit tight.

I came in the UPMC gate which had landscaping designed to make you walk around it rather than straight to the Gate.  Also trying to get out of the parking lot and off campus last night sure left a lot to be desired.  I think they could have designed the lots so you don't have a few lots and exit points all funneling to one stop sign.  Maybe have a traffic cop out there letting things flow a lot better. 

All in all though I think that's a great arena for RMU and I hope the Coop is set up just as nice in

1/03/2020 1:46 pm  #9

Keep in mind that RMU is competing with teams in the NEC, most of whom aren't playing in palaces. They don't need to have a better place than Duquesne, they need to have a better place than LIU etc. The Coop isn't going to be one of the top places in the A10, but it will no longer be among the worst, plus, KD can, and will always sell the fact that PPG is basically on campus, and is available for big games. Don't underestimate that fact. I know some of you hate playing at PPG, but if you really think you are a big time program, and start to draw those sorts of crowds, you have to play a few games there every year.

1/03/2020 5:00 pm  #10

I found the seats to be narrow.  I hope the Coop seats will be at least 3 inches wider.  I am expecting a much more comfortable seat in the premium area of our new barn.

I wonder if the chic-fil-a concession stand will be open for the game on Sunday as that company makes such a big deal of how holier than thou they are by being closed on Sundays.

I hope we have a much better overhead scoreboard than RMU has.

1/04/2020 1:05 am  #11

VBC wrote:

I found the seats to be narrow.  I hope the Coop seats will be at least 3 inches wider.  I am expecting a much more comfortable seat in the premium area of our new barn.

I wonder if the chic-fil-a concession stand will be open for the game on Sunday as that company makes such a big deal of how holier than thou they are by being closed on Sundays.

I hope we have a much better overhead scoreboard than RMU has.

You probably will have to make do with Popeyes Chicken...Chic-fil-A is unlikely to change their policies to accommodate Duq.

1/04/2020 9:28 am  #12

" holier than thou" ? What's wrong with being closed on Sunday's?
That's their policy. Buy a hot dog.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/04/2020 10:04 am  #13

gigsr: I think it's a couple more weeks before students return. 

Mulder: Possible the same architect who designed Palumbo designed the Bobby Mo? 

1/04/2020 12:55 pm  #14

I only watched the game on ESPN+ (at least the parts that were broadcast), but my first thought upon seeing the arena was that it looked a lot like Palumbo. It made me even happier that the Coop was getting a full redesign. It would be totally unacceptable to be playing in the A-10 in an arena that matches our neighbor in the NEC.

1/04/2020 3:04 pm  #15

After reading these comments, all of which were excellent by the way, a few things to add:

- agree with MikeR about the multi purpose use of these type of facilities. Didn’t take that into account in judging RMU

- yak-rbc’s comment on access - I knew there was another gate but didn’t think to look at the other entrance. The student seating point makes sense. I’m used to Civic Arena chairbacks from my time as a student but things are different now. I too like the logos around the floor.

- I parked in the first lot I came to and while I found a spot I wondered how we were all going to get out easily. Was there another entrance/exit to campus?  Jake’s point is good. Didn’t seem as many people inside as there were cars in the lot. Were other lots better for access?  I like that RMU is much closer to me than Laroche and even more convenient in some ways than the city but parking needs fixed.

- Duq81 - good point about where RMU competes vs our A10 competition (and agree with luckymd’s point on that) though I hope you are wrong about Coop being only “no longer among the worst.”  If we are doing something let’s do it right - like we did in hiring Harper and KD. And I like PPG. I remember being on campus just after PPG opened and thought that it looks like it’s a part of Duquesne. And we do own property on 5th right across so essentially it is.

- VBC - agree seats need to be wider at the Coop and agree with 1111 Vickroy on site lines ( I moved from my assigned seat to an end zone and found that better). And as I said they need to be studier so you can’t feel the guy 5 seats away getting up or sitting down.   And I didn’t mention the scoreboard but that also needs to be better as you said.  Some of the drawings I saw actually showed a large message board - tv monitor somewhere inside. Hope that was accurate.

- ED - not sure about architects but that’s possible. I’ve learned in participating in a new build that they tend to have a style that they reuse

- finally I agree with Townson on the overall look and gjgsr on getting students there when they are back.  No comment on VBC, DSnyder and the meth cook’s ghost on the chicken controversy.

1/04/2020 9:37 pm  #16

Mulder wrote:

- Duq81 - good point about where RMU competes vs our A10 competition (and agree with luckymd’s point on that) though I hope you are wrong about Coop being only “no longer among the worst.” If we are doing something let’s do it right - like we did in hiring Harper and KD. And I like PPG. I remember being on campus just after PPG opened and thought that it looks like it’s a part of Duquesne. And we do own property on 5th right across so essentially it is.

The Coop will surely be an upgrade from Palumbo, but it's going to be a 4,000 seat arena. That limits it's ability to compete with the top places in the league. To do that, we'd have needed to build a new 8,000+ seat place from the ground up. It is what it is. We're trying to move ahead of GW, LaSalle, St. Joe's, Fordham, and maybe a couple more. The big dogs are on another level, but we've got PPG when needed, and none of them have a similar option.

1/04/2020 10:51 pm  #17

I don’t want to be the one that rains on everyone’s parade regarding seats.   But all the seats opposite the benches are staying the same.   If you read Simms email from Scerbo in an earlier message, he said there will be some new seats. 

The seats opposite the benches both blue and red are staying the same.  The blue seats have had plastic over them the entire renovation.   You don’t put plastic over seats you are tossing out. 

What I would like to see them do is flip the TV cameras like Pitt did.   Put the TV cameras above the new Forbes Ave boxes and out of the red seats.  And put the benches on the opposite side. 

Scerbo’s email said this is a renovation not a replacement.   Again, I don’t want to rain on the parade, but I think a lot of people’s expectations of what the Coop will look like are way overboard.   I blame the school for that.   Other than a few drawings no one knows what it will look like.   Those drawings at the presser are all we have.   And when I have pressed people at DU, the Coop will look like that I don’t get an answer.

Last edited by A83 (1/04/2020 10:54 pm)

1/05/2020 12:01 am  #18

A83 wrote:

I don’t want to be the one that rains on everyone’s parade regarding seats. But all the seats opposite the benches are staying the same. If you read Simms email from Scerbo in an earlier message, he said there will be some new seats.

The seats opposite the benches both blue and red are staying the same. The blue seats have had plastic over them the entire renovation. You don’t put plastic over seats you are tossing out.

What I would like to see them do is flip the TV cameras like Pitt did. Put the TV cameras above the new Forbes Ave boxes and out of the red seats. And put the benches on the opposite side.

Scerbo’s email said this is a renovation not a replacement. Again, I don’t want to rain on the parade, but I think a lot of people’s expectations of what the Coop will look like are way overboard. I blame the school for that. Other than a few drawings no one knows what it will look like. Those drawings at the presser are all we have. And when I have pressed people at DU, the Coop will look like that I don’t get an answer.

As I posted, I expect (hope) that the Coop is better than the bottom half arenas in the league, but there is no way you're going to basically reconfigure Palumbo, and make it into something that can compare to what they have at UD, URI, UR, VCU, or St. Louis. With PPG on campus, there is really no need for a big arena. The Coop will suffice for most of our games, and in the event we find ourselves back at the level we were at in the late 60s/early 70s, PPG will be there for the handful of "big time" games we'd find ourselves playing.

1/05/2020 10:38 am  #19

A83 wrote:

I don’t want to be the one that rains on everyone’s parade regarding seats. But all the seats opposite the benches are staying the same. If you read Simms email from Scerbo in an earlier message, he said there will be some new seats.

The seats opposite the benches both blue and red are staying the same. The blue seats have had plastic over them the entire renovation. You don’t put plastic over seats you are tossing out.

What I would like to see them do is flip the TV cameras like Pitt did. Put the TV cameras above the new Forbes Ave boxes and out of the red seats. And put the benches on the opposite side.

I thought the court itself was being turned 180 degrees in the renovation. Any old seating remaining will not have the same orientation to the court. 

1/05/2020 11:54 am  #20

A83 wrote:

I don’t want to be the one that rains on everyone’s parade regarding seats.   But all the seats opposite the benches are staying the same.   If you read Simms email from Scerbo in an earlier message, he said there will be some new seats. 

The seats opposite the benches both blue and red are staying the same.  The blue seats have had plastic over them the entire renovation.   You don’t put plastic over seats you are tossing out. 

What I would like to see them do is flip the TV cameras like Pitt did.   Put the TV cameras above the new Forbes Ave boxes and out of the red seats.  And put the benches on the opposite side. 

Scerbo’s email said this is a renovation not a replacement.   Again, I don’t want to rain on the parade, but I think a lot of people’s expectations of what the Coop will look like are way overboard.   I blame the school for that.   Other than a few drawings no one knows what it will look like.   Those drawings at the presser are all we have.   And when I have pressed people at DU, the Coop will look like that I don’t get an answer.

If they do nothing to the non-forbes avenue side of the arena that will be supremely disappointing and will not make the arena look very good. You have one new side and three old sides? Thatll look very clunky. Additionally, if what you say is actually what occurs, then the university will have grossly misrepresented the project via their comments and more importantly their pictures that they've released.

1/05/2020 12:10 pm  #21

MikeR wrote:

A83 wrote:

I thought the court itself was being turned 180 degrees in the renovation. Any old seating remaining will not have the same orientation to the court. 

I don’t know what you mean.    Flipping the court refers to moving the cameras to opposite side that they currently are on.  If the cameras are on the opposite side, the seats are still in the same place.   The court will be in the exact same place it has always been.

1/05/2020 12:21 pm  #22

A83--If seats are being left untouched, while the court is rotated (as I think the original plan stated), sideline seats will now be end zone seats and vice versa.

1/05/2020 1:57 pm  #23

MikeR wrote:

A83--If seats are being left untouched, while the court is rotated (as I think the original plan stated), sideline seats will now be end zone seats and vice versa.

I never read the court is being rotated in that manner and none of the drawings indicate that.   The student end zone nothing is being done with.

1/06/2020 9:49 am  #24

Last year Ray and Jarrett talked about what the Coop and what it would look like and they
both agreed the Coop would look the same ,the luxury boxes would be added.
 I think the improvements will  be in easier access around the arena,hallways will be 
opened up,better concessions and a hall of fame area. The Coop will be a better fan
experience but seating would not change that much.

1/06/2020 10:32 am  #25

MikeR wrote:

Don't you mean 90 degrees?  180 would just flip the endzones.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera