Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2020 10:19 pm  #1

Preparation for Davidson

Several thoughts to mull over:

-Wondering if the Dukes will be able to practice at the RMU facility on Sat?   Would hope they would as it might help them avoid another cold start, which seemingly has become a habit.

-Is noteworthy that two of the Davidson guards are tall -- 6'5 +    which might make it more difficult for TDM to defend.  Will be interesting to see the approach taken in handling them. 

-Hopefully the admin is arranging buses [for the students] to take over to the RMU arena.    

1/04/2020 1:00 am  #2

Re: Preparation for Davidson

gjgsr wrote:

Several thoughts to mull over:

-Wondering if the Dukes will be able to practice at the RMU facility on Sat?   Would hope they would as it might help them avoid another cold start, which seemingly has become a habit.

-Is noteworthy that two of the Davidson guards are tall -- 6'5 +    which might make it more difficult for TDM to defend.  Will be interesting to see the approach taken in handling them. 

-Hopefully the admin is arranging buses [for the students] to take over to the RMU arena.    

Are the students even back yet?

1/04/2020 10:05 am  #3

The 6'5 guards will have their hands full with TDM.

1/04/2020 1:09 pm  #4

gjgsr wrote:

Students arent in session yet

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/04/2020 1:19 pm  #5

-El D - when the other team is on defense yes, but there were a few times when TDM was looking up at players on defense near the basket and could do nothing after some offensive switches.
-need Steele to step up...haven't seen a lot of progress since the beginning of the year.
-Phoenix, can't wait until your game day post tomorrow!  Go Dukes.

Last edited by FAM (1/04/2020 1:21 pm)

1/04/2020 1:32 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

The 6'5 guards will have their hands full with TDM.

I hadn't considered that point of view. It will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out. Maybe a perceived weakness turns into an unanticipated strength? He was outsized & out-strengthed pretty significantly on Thursday & that went well.

I believe part of the package with TDM will always be that some, fairly large percentage of games he will lay an egg. That's just as sure a thing as when he is good, he is really good.

I haven't been able to detect a pattern of opponents that are likely to yield either result. Does anybody have a theory on which circumstances or opponent style of play favor or hamper his effectiveness? Is it just a matter of whether or not early shots fall for him?

Consensus opinion appears to be that his punch off the bench is a strong indicator of success. One of the holes in team performance this season has been who can step up when TDM is struggling. Frankie Hughes is not available to provide timely offense or big-bodied wing defense. To a large degree, achieving the most optimistic of predictions for 2019-20 success will be dependant on Lamar or Ashton making that happen.

1/04/2020 2:48 pm  #7

Keeping in mind that DUQ is supposed to excel in reducing the effectiveness of opposing 3 pt shooters,  Davidson has a surplus of 3 pt shooters that exceed 40%.  Should be an interesting test -- for the KD defensive approach and how the players handle it.  

Last edited by gjgsr (1/04/2020 2:49 pm)

1/04/2020 3:12 pm  #8

gjgsr wrote:

Keeping in mind that DUQ is supposed to excel in reducing the effectiveness of opposing 3 pt shooters,  Davidson has a surplus of 3 pt shooters that exceed 40%.  Should be an interesting test -- for the KD defensive approach and how the players handle it.  

This will be an interesting sub-plot. KD uses mtm D to limit 3 pt shooting...giving up some easy 2s as a trade off. TDM will be needed to pressure shooters and to make some 3s. He will be a key to this game. This will not be an easy game.

1/06/2020 11:42 pm  #9

In retrospect,  you were right, the 'in your face' man to man certainly disrupted the normally effective Davidson 3-point shooting and TDM scored when we needed it... 

Board footera