Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2020 6:36 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

In 44 years in a conference we've only started 2-0 in conference 8 times. We've only gotten to 3-0 three times and only once have we reached 4-0 in conference (2011 when we started 8-0, but then finished 2-6). This team really looks different from what we've seen for so many years on the Bluff. I believe they can keep up the defensive intensity, continue the balanced scoring, and actually compete in what looks to be a very tough conference.

1/05/2020 7:05 pm  #27

duq81 wrote:

Best record after 14 games since 71-72, when we started 15-2. Need to beat the weaker teams, so let's get the next three to equal that start!

Strangely enough, the last three times we started this well through 14 games we got to exactly 15-2 before losing the 18th game. All in all we've started 12-2 or better 8 times in the last 70 years. We ended up in the NCAA tournament twice in those seasons, we ended up in the NIT five times (making at least the Final Four each time), we played in both postseason tournaments once, and only once did we not play in either. There's obviously a long way to go in this season, but this team has the makings of that kind of team. 

1/05/2020 7:20 pm  #28

Another good game for the Dukes. They have to be one of the most balanced scoring teams in the country. Everyone on the court today besides Miller was a threat to score. With that said, when it is crunch time it always seems to be Sincere with th big bucket or crucial assist.

1/05/2020 8:00 pm  #29

I'm  not trying to find the negative in a good win but KD put his finger on why the Dukes had their skid.  They got drunk on their success.

They seem to have sobered up today.

Last edited by coffee (1/05/2020 8:01 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/05/2020 8:01 pm  #30

This team is not the same team that played a week ago in Cleveland. That team was out to lunch.

1/05/2020 9:06 pm  #31

Apluski, IMHO you weren’t incorrect in the mugging going on especially in the first half. In the final scrum Jones (25) threw Mike Hughes out of bounds and on his butt. I commend Mike on keeping his cool today. Also this was the same crew that worked the Pitt game yesterday that I also believe was pretty physical. Not sure how old these guys are but how fresh are you going back to back like that.
I also believe IMHO that the game is getting far to physical.

1/05/2020 9:25 pm  #32

Glad I attended.
Relentless defense, didn't fold when Davidson got their offense going.
 Norman's 3 was a monster.
Austin does not seem to get flustered. Did not let the airballs impact his defense.
They are as tough mentally as they are physically.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/05/2020 10:03 pm  #33

1111 Vickroy wrote:

In my opinion, Carry displayed some real maturity. As stated, and no pun intended, he carried them

Hes not putting up the gaudy stats like last year, but that was a final 10 minutes of an experienced, all-conference point guard. When DC was getting closer, Carry took us home, driving efficiently when given the opportunity and finding the right man when he cant. He pushed all the right buttons in a really impressive performance

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/05/2020 11:13 pm  #34

Crosseye wrote:

This team is not the same team that played a week ago in Cleveland. That team was out to lunch.

No they are not. Great passes, protect the ball, and decent 3 point shooting. Great ball movement. I think fatigue was a factor in the two losses and some sloppy play that comes from fatigue.  The Dukes looked great today. This Davidson team was not going away very easy.  And just think, this Dukes team doesn't have a home court this year and are playing some really great ball.

1/05/2020 11:40 pm  #35

I connected through PIT tonight on my way home to Charlotte.
Total coincidence that the Davidson Hoops team was on my flight.
I sat next to Collins.
Nice kid.  Very personable & confident.
I asked him what his thoughts were on the loss - was it due to Duquesne’s better play or was it because Davidson played poorly....
He did not hesitate .... attributed the loss to DC’s poor shooting in the first half - digging too deep a hole.  No recognition to Duquesne’s part in that poor shooting.
I just smiled and nodded.

Defense travels.   And we have a good defense.
Looks like we are still flying under the radar of respect ...
Fine by me ... keep punching them in the mouth Dukes!

1/05/2020 11:56 pm  #36

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

Norman's 3 was a monster.

Agree with this 100%. While it didn’t show up on the stat sheet necessarily Norman was huge for us today. Defended the perimeter well all day and that three was key to keeping the lead when it got close down the stretch.

Another similar key play a few minutes before came from Norman. I think we were tied or up two. Norman got a big offensive board and found Baylee for the huge dunk that was another key play to keeping the lead when Davidson starting clicking on offense.

Other guys obviously had good games so I just wanted to point out Norman’s contribution as it may have flown more under the radar.

I think the shooting and point production will start coming from him as his confidence increases, similar to what we saw in flashes last year.

Great all around performance, Go Dukes!!!

1/06/2020 7:59 am  #37

-Fun Game
-Good to see Steele step up - liked it when he and Hughes were both in there
-Continued excellent use of TDK off of the bench - if he is on, play him more...if not...other guards play as they are taller for defense
-Enjoyed the continued jump of BBall IQ - you can see them looking and deciding where to go with the ball, but not too much thinking
-Coach is gonna need to figure out a way to give their legs a rest, but not go back to the “half-hour” practices he had them do for a while which he said didn’t work
-Will be another test Wednesday - AWAY COFERENCE GAME. Go Dukes!

1/06/2020 9:24 am  #38

Why do they need to rest any more than any other team?   We have 8 guys who play at least 10 mins a game.  I would think thats pretty good, no?   

They got 3 games in a week(Wed-Wed), then a week off.   3 winnable games, 3 important games.   Do whatever it takes to win them, then chill out a couple days.

I'd rather they have no extended breaks, they seems sluggish when they come back from week long lay-offs.   

1/06/2020 9:41 am  #39

townsonkid wrote:

Why do they need to rest any more than any other team?   We have 8 guys who play at least 10 mins a game.  I would think thats pretty good, no?   

They got 3 games in a week(Wed-Wed), then a week off.   3 winnable games, 3 important games.   Do whatever it takes to win them, then chill out a couple days.

I'd rather they have no extended breaks, they seems sluggish when they come back from week long lay-offs.   

They're thin up front. Would be nice if Rotroff could give them effective enough play to be able to rest one of our 3 bigs without going small. An injury to any of the three would likely be fatal to this season.

1/06/2020 9:58 am  #40

townsonkid wrote:

This. I was looking forward to conference play just to see how we'd fare in a regular rhythm of games as opposed to the mix of back-to-backs with long layoffs in the non-conference schedule. I do think the team lost its edge a bit at the end of the non-conference schedule. Don't play for a week, then play two games back-to-back, then another week off. Tough to stay focused and maintain momentum. We were at our best with a 3-5-day break between games. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. 

1/06/2020 10:05 am  #41

If Dukes want post season play they cant be losing to St.Joes and GW. Losses
to those weaker A10 teams would be a disaster for any hopes of a NCAA bid
or NIT invite.I still have hopes for a chance to be cinderella at the ballroom dance.

1/06/2020 10:18 am  #42

As pertains to Rotroff, does anyone know what's going on with him? They definitely need another body up front. It looks like he  had his knew wrapped up. I wonder if he had a setback

1/06/2020 11:53 am  #43

1111 Vickroy wrote:

As pertains to Rotroff, does anyone know what's going on with him? They definitely need another body up front. It looks like he had his knew wrapped up. I wonder if he had a setback

There's been no report that he's hurt again, just having a tough time battling back from a serious injury. From the Amari Kelly thread today:

KD mentioned at press conference Kelly has another physical issue and 
Kelly would be red shirted this season. KD also mentioned Rotroff is getting
in shape and he still believes he is a good player but the other guys on the
front line are playing well and its tough for him to get playing time.

1/06/2020 1:11 pm  #44

DennisC91 wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

As pertains to Rotroff, does anyone know what's going on with him? They definitely need another body up front. It looks like he had his knew wrapped up. I wonder if he had a setback

There's been no report that he's hurt again, just having a tough time battling back from a serious injury. From the Amari Kelly thread today:

KD mentioned at press conference Kelly has another physical issue and 
Kelly would be red shirted this season. KD also mentioned Rotroff is getting
in shape and he still believes he is a good player but the other guys on the
front line are playing well and its tough for him to get playing time.

I can understand that. You don't want to lose a game because you were trying to get someone minutes. Hopefully, we can win one or two of these upcoming games easily enough to be able to get some of the guys who aren't in the rotation some minutes.

1/06/2020 1:49 pm  #45

Yes, they are a little thin up front AND, though he has been doing well, Sincere’s knees can be a problem.  He had at least 2-3 procedures/operations that we know of.  Somewhere in between of their 4 hour practices and the half-hour practices is a spot for days when they have done a lot of traveling to away games and get back late at night.  Obviously coach will do it right.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (1/06/2020 1:49 pm)

1/06/2020 8:41 pm  #46

I actually had the opportunity to talk to Sincere a few weeks ago and I asked him about his knees.  He said that they are 100% and that the procedure that he had last year took care of the problem.  I hope he's correct...let's keep our fingers crossed.

Board footera