Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2020 6:46 pm  #1

UMass

Conference opener at La Roche against UMass. Uncharacteristic late start of 730. Hope to see many people there for the team. Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/04/2020 11:41 pm  #2

Re: UMass

Ladies lost by 4 - trailed by like 18 after 3 quarters - mounted a comeback but some lay ups spun out when they cut it to like 4 or 5 -  Nina had a really good second half - 

Teams were somewhat evenly matched - kind of game you need when it is your floor.

BOUNCE BACK AGAINST GW!!

1/05/2020 6:29 am  #3

What a wild game that showed this Dukes team has character as they never quit. Where to start:
1. Officiating - terribly inconsistent and very uneven. One official called traveling so much, you would have thought it was a grade school game. UMass was allowed to be physical and we weren’t. Missed two obvious back court violations where the UMass guard stepped on the line and into the back court. Dan got a technical but probably should have picked it up earlier in the game. When he did, 4 free throws were made and a hoop. We went flat for two possessions and the lead ballooned to 20. Officiating really hurt the Dukes effort.
2. Found out this team can trap. Started quarter 4 down by 18 and opened with a trap. Had an immediate 10 point run to put us back in the game. If the 2 backcourts would have been called, who knows?
3. The 4th quarter run featured real ball movement with very good passing from the post to the opposite side. Shooters did not hesitate, especially Nina who had her best shooting night since her freshman year. Earlier in the game, too often, we would look to dribble drive and not think shot. We have too many offensive dry spells in this mode. The end of the first half put us down 9; when UMass got to the 20 point lead; and at the end of the game (score 75-70) when we missed three layups in three consecutive trips, two of which were really contested. As a counter though, at the start of the second half, the dribble drive worked as we went right to the basket.
4. Amaya has to be on the floor more. She adds length, smarts and defense. Still progressing offensively, but is a solid frosh performer. With more minutes, she will grow.
5. Laia continues to grow in her game and since Precious Johnson is slotted as her back-up, she did not get into the game until 2 seconds were left where she guarded the in bounds pass. Speculation on my part, but I wonder what would happen if Precious and Laia were on the floor together. For example, in the first half, the kid from North Catholic had her way with our two senior forwards. I wonder what could have been if Precious would have used her size against her (or Laia who was guarding their 6’5” girl and then Precious would have guarded the center). Precious has shown athleticism. It is probably time to give her minutes. With Laia, could bode well.
6. This team remains fun to watch. They are gutsy and they play hard. UMass had a tremendous shooting game and their quickness at guard hurt us. I would be willing to wager though that we will beat them if we see them again.

1/05/2020 10:47 pm  #4

Hook Shot:   Precious and Laia were on the floor together briefly against CCSU -  CAN be difficult to have two (almost exclusive) post players on the floor at the same time -  Precious could make it easier for other teams to double Laia down low -  Could make it more difficult for some of the passes Laia makes to the cutters.   This is NOT to say I'm against two bigs playing together -  I don't know if Snezhana is a post player - could see her playing with Laia or Precious together.

Would like to see more of Amaya but who would go to the bench??  Different players are bringing different things.

One point I'd like to bring up - In the last two home games I have not seen Bernada on the bench -- I hope she is NOT leaving -  have heard good things about her.

1/06/2020 10:13 am  #5

Al, your points are valid. Guess I am just old school in that I think size on the court can make a difference. I am not a huge fan of today’s “positionless” basketball. Agreed our three guards are needed, but Amaya has some tools that give us some of that old school look. Probably short sighted on my part. Dan knows what he is doing. I hope Snezhana is more of a forward than center because she really is big. Perhaps, since class doesn’t start until Thursday, Berenada went home for the holidays.

Last edited by HookShot (1/06/2020 10:14 am)

1/06/2020 6:10 pm  #6

HookShot wrote:

Al, your points are valid. Guess I am just old school in that I think size on the court can make a difference. I am not a huge fan of today’s “positionless” basketball. Agreed our three guards are needed, but Amaya has some tools that give us some of that old school look. Probably short sighted on my part. Dan knows what he is doing. I hope Snezhana is more of a forward than center because she really is big. Perhaps, since class doesn’t start until Thursday, Berenada went home for the holidays.

I'm more "Old School" as well - but game has changed signficantly -  While I devote more attention to the guys than the gals in general -  the "Metrics" say -  IF it is NOT A DUNK -  You should try the three pointer EVERY TIME as opposed to ANY MID-RANGE JUMPER!!! Amaya has as much (if NOT MORE) than any player in the program from what I've seen -  Am GLAD we have her - WANT MORE JUST LIKE HER - (am hoping Tess Myers is similar) 

Board footera