Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2020 5:52 pm  #1

Where do our peers play?

With all of the talk about The Coop, I wanted to look at where our fellow A10 schools play, as well as prominent Catholic schools as well.

St. John's: 13 on campus, 6 at Madison Sq. Garden
Villanova: 8 on campus, 7 at Wells Fargo
Seton Hall plays cupcakes at Walsh Gym (cap. 1,600), and everything else at Prudential
Marquette, and Georgetown play all games at NBA arenas.
Providence and Creighton play at their city's municipal arena.
DePaul, Butler, Dayton, UMass, URI, Xavier, Mason, and St. Louis all play in mid size arenas that they either own, or where they are the primary tenant.
GW, Richmond, VCU, Davidson, San Francisco, Gonzaga, and Bona play at arenas with a capacity between 5,000, and 7,500.
Duquesne, St. Joe's, Fordham, LaSalle, Loyola, and St. Mary's play in arenas seating under 5,000, with Duquesne playing high profile opponents at 20,000 seat PPG Arena.

1/06/2020 6:19 pm  #2

Re: Where do our peers play?

duq81 wrote:

With all of the talk about The Coop, I wanted to look at where our fellow A10 schools play, as well as prominent Catholic schools as well.

St. John's: 13 on campus, 6 at Madison Sq. Garden
Villanova: 8 on campus, 7 at Wells Fargo
Seton Hall plays cupcakes at Walsh Gym (cap. 1,600), and everything else at Prudential
Marquette, and Georgetown play all games at NBA arenas.
Providence and Creighton play at their city's municipal arena.
DePaul, Butler, Dayton, UMass, URI, Xavier, Mason, and St. Louis all play in mid size arenas that they either own, or where they are the primary tenant.
GW, Richmond, VCU, Davidson, San Francisco, Gonzaga, and Bona play at arenas with a capacity between 5,000, and 7,500.
Duquesne, St. Joe's, Fordham, LaSalle, Loyola, and St. Mary's play in arenas seating under 5,000, with Duquesne playing high profile opponents at 20,000 seat PPG Arena.

Here is a link to what Richmond did for 17M.  We are spending 50M.  Richmond refurbished their seats to make them nicer.  It appears we are not doing that for 50M. 

https://www.richmond.com/m-renovation-of-ur-s-robins-center/article_cf6f7262-3685-11e3-8dc6-0019bb30f31a.html

There are alot of example of schools spending 60M or less to remodel or build.  I am very curious to see how this thing fits together because based on the photos we have seen and the decision to neglect 3 sides of the arena, we might be severely disappointed. 

Last edited by WEB (1/06/2020 6:29 pm)

1/06/2020 6:56 pm  #3

The $50 million has to go a long way to meet the ambitious scope of the whole project. Where we plant our butts for only a few hours a week for 4 months probably gets the share of the budget it deserves. The rest of the project accommodates thousands of paying students all year long. 

1/07/2020 9:23 am  #4

I agree with Mike in that the main reason for the upgrade is to benefit the student athletes and provide as close to a state of the art facility for them as possible.  That helps with recruiting etc. and has to be the prime reason for the upgrade.  Of course, it's also important that they play in a nice arena but that is only part of the mix and a smaller part since most of their work is going to be done in preparation and the areas where they work and prepare have to take precedence. 

I just hope that the money they are spending on the arena itself is sufficient to make it attractive to fans (especially new ones) and sufficient to allow the men's and women's players to feel like they are playing in a very good venue. 

And as Duq81 has said, we have PPG available.  That can be a terrific venue once Duquesne has reestablished itself with area fans and its students.  That will take a lot more time, possibly well into KD's successor's tenure. 

1/07/2020 4:21 pm  #5

Mulder wrote:

I agree with Mike in that the main reason for the upgrade is to benefit the student athletes and provide as close to a state of the art facility for them as possible.  That helps with recruiting etc. and has to be the prime reason for the upgrade.  Of course, it's also important that they play in a nice arena but that is only part of the mix and a smaller part since most of their work is going to be done in preparation and the areas where they work and prepare have to take precedence. 

I just hope that the money they are spending on the arena itself is sufficient to make it attractive to fans (especially new ones) and sufficient to allow the men's and women's players to feel like they are playing in a very good venue. 

And as Duq81 has said, we have PPG available.  That can be a terrific venue once Duquesne has reestablished itself with area fans and its students.  That will take a lot more time, possibly well into KD's successor's tenure. 

Better recruiting and better practice facilities will make the arena better because nothing brings in "fans" like a winning team. Hopefully we'll get so successful that we all get sick of the fairweather fans riding the bandwagon. Of course the new arena has to be forward-looking and anticipate our future needs rather than just try to meet our current needs. I don't think a big expansion is necessary though. Work on better seating, better audio and video capabilities, better concessions, better access, etc. Some more seating would be a good idea, but I think a better arena is more important than a bigger arena at this point considering we rarely even fill the arena. If we are lucky enough to have games that are too big for the Coop in the future, we can play them at PPG. We should concentrate on making the Coop a top-class arena of its size. Then if we can pack it full, a great team and a great arena will keep them coming back.

1/08/2020 8:46 am  #6

saw pic on twitter last night of something to do with A10 and the tourney, and they have 4-5 bobble heads from teams, not ours of course.   But got me to thinking about next year, how about a bobble head night for the home opener at the Coop, featuring the mascot....and play Notre Dame.   I think they Irish would come to pittsburgh PDQ if asked, they love pittsburgh, I think ND will be good next year too, so slay a giant off the jump and get that place rockin!   We played there last year as part of that Gotham thing.   They dont owe us a game, but might consider it, and would make sure the Coop is filled to the rafters.    Might have 1000+ ND fans tho.   

Seriously, who wants to see us open the Coop with S Carolina Upstate or Hofstra?

1/08/2020 9:39 am  #7

townsonkid wrote:

saw pic on twitter last night of something to do with A10 and the tourney, and they have 4-5 bobble heads from teams, not ours of course.   But got me to thinking about next year, how about a bobble head night for the home opener at the Coop, featuring the mascot....and play Notre Dame.   I think they Irish would come to pittsburgh PDQ if asked, they love pittsburgh, I think ND will be good next year too, so slay a giant off the jump and get that place rockin!   We played there last year as part of that Gotham thing.   They dont owe us a game, but might consider it, and would make sure the Coop is filled to the rafters.    Might have 1000+ ND fans tho.   

Seriously, who wants to see us open the Coop with S Carolina Upstate or Hofstra?

ND is in the ACC. They already come here regularly. No way they schedule a road game vs a non big name team that they're likely to lose. ND doesn't do favors, they do what's in the best interest of ND. Anyone who doubts that hasn't been paying attention. It's hard to get good teams to play you on the road. Now of course if we shock the world and go to the Final Four this year, we'll be ranked going into next season, and might be able to land a home and home with a decent program. This won't be an upper level P5, but maybe a DePaul, PC, or Seton Hall would be within reach, as well as some of the good AAC programs like Houston, Cincy, or even Wichita St. Barring that post season run, I'm expecting St. Francis. A safe game, but with some history.  Bobby Mo would be better, but since it seems like KD is giving them the Capel treatment, this might not be possible. I guess there is an outside chance that WVU would come, but it really makes no sense for them. A somewhat attractive game that we probably could get would be Loyola. We'd have to return the game, but that's a given if you want to bring in anyone that's decent. Nothing wrong with a trip to Chicago.

1/08/2020 1:50 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

ND is in the ACC. They already come here regularly. No way they schedule a road game vs a non big name team that they're likely to lose. ND doesn't do favors, they do what's in the best interest of ND. Anyone who doubts that hasn't been paying attention. It's hard to get good teams to play you on the road. Now of course if we shock the world and go to the Final Four this year, we'll be ranked going into next season, and might be able to land a home and home with a decent program. This won't be an upper level P5, but maybe a DePaul, PC, or Seton Hall would be within reach, as well as some of the good AAC programs like Houston, Cincy, or even Wichita St. Barring that post season run, I'm expecting St. Francis. A safe game, but with some history.  Bobby Mo would be better, but since it seems like KD is giving them the Capel treatment, this might not be possible. I guess there is an outside chance that WVU would come, but it really makes no sense for them. A somewhat attractive game that we probably could get would be Loyola. We'd have to return the game, but that's a given if you want to bring in anyone that's decent. Nothing wrong with a trip to Chicago.

This!!!! I never understand why fans (I follow 2 MAC programs and Duq) don't understand why thier team does not bring in "good" teams. Duq is lucky because it has a natural P5 rivalry team (Pitt) that allows them a major home game every other year. Miami has that in football with UC. Duq should try to develop the regional rivalries with Marshall and WV. Penn State probably would be to big of a reach now...but worth trying if Duq gets national recognition as a top 20 program.

One thing Duq has going for it is that your coach is not using this job as a stepping stone.  KD was the best hire that Doq could possibly get. This will be his last job and he wil try to get Duq to be recognized as a top 20 program before he calls it a day.  The only downside to that is Ritter will never be heard from again. ;)

1/08/2020 2:05 pm  #9

I spoke with Dave Harper recently about who the opponent might be for the opening of the Coop.  He told me the following schools have been asked and have already refused - Tennessee, Pitt, WVU and Penn State.  I did not ask about Notre Dame.  He said they are still working hard to try and get a big name progra, but if I was to place a bet on who it will be I'd put my money on St. Francis at this point.

1/08/2020 2:29 pm  #10

Dsnyder15 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

This!!!! I never understand why fans (I follow 2 MAC programs and Duq) don't understand why thier team does not bring in "good" teams. Duq is lucky because it has a natural P5 rivalry team (Pitt) that allows them a major home game every other year. Miami has that in football with UC. Duq should try to develop the regional rivalries with Marshall and WV. Penn State probably would be to big of a reach now...but worth trying if Duq gets national recognition as a top 20 program.

One thing Duq has going for it is that your coach is not using this job as a stepping stone.  KD was the best hire that Doq could possibly get. This will be his last job and he wil try to get Duq to be recognized as a top 20 program before he calls it a day.  The only downside to that is Ritter will never be heard from again. ;)

Duquesne plays Penn State on a semi regular basis, but the home games are at PPG. WVU used to also be a semi regular opponent, and again, home games have to be at PPG.

1/08/2020 3:26 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Duquesne plays Penn State on a semi regular basis, but the home games are at PPG. WVU used to also be a semi regular opponent, and again, home games have to be at PPG.

Was aware of WV but not PSU.  The regional rivalries and PPG make Duq a possible sleepng giant. 

Look at the strenght of OOC schedule of ND Ill, VA, Texas Tech and some others.  Not all top teams play killer OOC schedules. If Duq can get 2 to 3 OOC home games with quality name teams they will be doing great.  The MAC, MVC, AAC and CUSA should be targets for the OOC schedule.  This year would be great if you had Pitt, and another quality team on the home schedule.

Is PSU a possibiliy in the future?? I am surprised the Big 10 would agree to play at Duq. There is no upside for them at this time...only downside if they lose and that is now a good posibility.

Sorry for hijacking thread.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/08/2020 10:34 pm)

1/08/2020 3:31 pm  #12

I was thinking teams in the bottom half of the B10 or Big East.    DePaul, St John, and Northwestern might
be possibilities.  

1/08/2020 3:50 pm  #13

I would think we'd need an "in" with a big-time program to get them to come to Pittsburgh under any circumstances, much less for the grand opening of the Coop. Doesn't KD have a close relationship with Shaka Smart at Texas? Any other coaches like that that come to mind, DSnyder? What about Harper, any ex-Dayton coaches that he knows? Indiana (Archie Miller) would be awesome, but I think we'd have to settle for USF (Brian Gregory). 

1/08/2020 4:03 pm  #14

I can see why PITT (or any other name team) went to open RMU's new gym.  There was little chance in them going down in history as the first loser there.  Something known forever.

They would never hear the end of it if they came and lost here- a better possibility at the COOP.

Last edited by coffee (1/08/2020 4:04 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/08/2020 4:15 pm  #15

Dsnyder15 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Was aware of WV but not PSU.  The regionsl rivalries and PPG make Duq a possible sleepng giant. 

Look at the strenght of OOC schedule of ND Ill, VA, Texas Tech and some others.  Not all top teams play killer OOC schedules. If Duq can get 2 to 3 OOC home games with quality name teams they will be doing great.  The MAC, AAC and CUSA should be targets for the OOC schedule.  This year would be great if you had Pitt, and another quality team on the home schedule.

Is PSU a possibiliy in the future?? I am surprised the Big 10 would agree to play at Duq. There is no upside for them at this time...only downside if they lose and that is now a good posibility.

Sorry for hijacking thread.

Dambrot's tantrum was at a home game at PPG vs Penn State last year. Keep in mind that Penn State is our state university and that they like to occasionally play a game here for the benefit of their many local alums.

1/08/2020 5:04 pm  #16

DennisC91 wrote:

I would think we'd need an "in" with a big-time program to get them to come to Pittsburgh under any circumstances, much less for the grand opening of the Coop. Doesn't KD have a close relationship with Shaka Smart at Texas? Any other coaches like that that come to mind, DSnyder? What about Harper, any ex-Dayton coaches that he knows? Indiana (Archie Miller) would be awesome, but I think we'd have to settle for USF (Brian Gregory). 

KD has quirks. He does not like playing his proteges. While at Akron...he would not play VCU because Smart was coach. He is close with Huggins and WILL play him. Not sure about OU now now that Boals is coach. I would pay WV...great name and he is buddies with Huggjns.  Huggins is less afraid to play people on the road than other top coaches.  That would be my choice. If not ....try UC or UCon.  Both big names and winnable.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/08/2020 5:06 pm)

Board footera