Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2020 10:16 am  #1

NET Rankings has Duquesne at 46

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

I've seen some discussion on here about our NCAA or NIT chances. For the NIT, this ranking assures we would be in the NIT as of today.

For the NCAAs, I am not saying this puts us in, but we are in the discussion.  Even some of the talking heads are noticing this NET ranking and saying we have a shot.

1/12/2020 10:42 am  #2

Re: NET Rankings has Duquesne at 46

If the brackets were selected based solely on NET rankings (and there were no upsets in the conference tournies), Duquesne would be in position for the last at-large bid that didn't have to play in the First Four. Now of course there will be some upsets, and the committee doesn't only look at the NET rankings, but this is major.

1/13/2020 8:09 am  #3

All I know is that after Fordham the schedule ramps up, bigly.   URI and Mass wont be easy, then the Empire comes to town, and IDC how many people might show up, Toppin is going to school someone that night.   @SLU, 2 with Bonnies, VCU, Richie and @Dayton are games we could easily lose, and once again be holding our wenis come march.   14-2 is nice, real nice, but we havent even begun the tough parts yet.  NCAAs are a pipe dream, and the NIT is no gimmie with all of the ties to conference champs and money.
Plus, that game @URI will come after a 7 day break, and while that will be good for tired legs, probably means it will take the Dukes at least 15 minutes to wake up(if history repeats itself).   Against Lamar or VMI, you can get away with that, but not against Fatts Russell.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/13/2020 8:33 am)

1/13/2020 9:37 am  #4

townsonkid wrote:

All I know is that after Fordham the schedule ramps up, bigly.   URI and Mass wont be easy, then the Empire comes to town, and IDC how many people might show up, Toppin is going to school someone that night.   @SLU, 2 with Bonnies, VCU, Richie and @Dayton are games we could easily lose, and once again be holding our wenis come march.   14-2 is nice, real nice, but we havent even begun the tough parts yet.  NCAAs are a pipe dream, and the NIT is no gimmie with all of the ties to conference champs and money.

My post was to let people know the NCAAs aren't a pipe dream. We've played well enough so far that if the season ended today we might be in the NCAAs. Of course the schedule is going to get tougher, but that is an opportunity not a detriment. It's not like we need to be perfect either.

The last 13 A-10 teams to finish the conference season with less than 4 conference losses made the NCAA tournament. 16 of the last 17 A-10 teams to reach 25 wins made the NCAA tournament (and the one that didn't was a GW team that only got to 25 wins because they won the NIT). If we can go 11-3 from here on out, we will likely make the Big Dance. It won't be easy, but it ain't a pipe dream either. You are right about the NIT not being a gimmie, but at this point anything less than that would be a disappointment.

1/13/2020 10:12 am  #5

townsonkid wrote:

Plus, that game @URI will come after a 7 day break, and while that will be good for tired legs, probably means it will take the Dukes at least 15 minutes to wake up(if history repeats itself).   Against Lamar or VMI, you can get away with that, but not against Fatts Russell.

All of what you say is nice, but we needed to be where we are to even have dreams of the postseason. We've taken care of business, and done what we needed to do. Now it's time to see if we can take another step. The NIT would be really nice at this point, but there's nothing wrong with hoping to take a step beyond that. We'll have a better idea of our chances by the end of January.

1/13/2020 2:16 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

All of what you say is nice, but we needed to be where we are to even have dreams of the postseason. We've taken care of business, and done what we needed to do. Now it's time to see if we can take another step. The NIT would be really nice at this point, but there's nothing wrong with hoping to take a step beyond that. We'll have a better idea of our chances by the end of January.

Agreed on the end of January for a reassessment.  I would think that if the Dukes can go 3-1 over this next 4 game stretch to finish out January, they will improve their current position for post season play.

1/13/2020 3:43 pm  #7

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Agreed on the end of January for a reassessment.  I would think that if the Dukes can go 3-1 over this next 4 game stretch to finish out January, they will improve their current position for post season play.

Absolutely! That would either include a win over Dayton, or 2 road wins over decent mid level teams, the types of wins that are necessary if you want to do better than the CBI. I think most feel that 4 more regular season losses are the max if we want an NCAA bid. We have road games at Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, and Bona, plus Dayton at home. We need to win every other game, plus one of the five listed if we want an NCAA bid. Probably would need to win our first game in Brooklyn as well. The door is open, but the question is, are we good enough to go through that door? We can lose 6, and we should still be safe for the NIT.

1/13/2020 7:02 pm  #8

The NCAA may be dream, but not a pipe dream.  The Dukes have a tremendous team well capable of beating any team in the League.   Moreover, the Dukes are on a roll.  I grow so tired of the predictable negativity and fears expressed by some posters.  I believe the players do not fear any team and look forward to the challenge, and believe they can win it all. I understand why KD says the team has to generate their own energy.

Last edited by CLK (1/13/2020 7:04 pm)

1/14/2020 8:14 am  #9

CLK wrote:

The NCAA may be dream, but not a pipe dream.  The Dukes have a tremendous team well capable of beating any team in the League.   Moreover, the Dukes are on a roll.  I grow so tired of the predictable negativity and fears expressed by some posters.  I believe the players do not fear any team and look forward to the challenge, and believe they can win it all. I understand why KD says the team has to generate their own energy.

^
     |
     |
     |
What he said.

1/14/2020 8:35 am  #10

I better check into the ER, you all ganged up and beat me down over a post based in reality.   

So sorry.  Wont happen again, from now on its candy canes and gum drops.  27-3 here we come!!!
We're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

1/14/2020 9:14 am  #11

Bleacher Report has only Dayton and VCU in the NCAA as of today in the A10.  They do have Akron there.  Wouldn’t it be “IRONIC” (thank you Alanis) if Duquesne and Akron have a playoff game against each other to get in!!!  Do you think the coach would sleep the night before...  Go Dukes.

1/14/2020 9:26 am  #12

townsonkid wrote:

I better check into the ER, you all ganged up and beat me down over a post based in reality.   

So sorry.  Wont happen again, from now on its candy canes and gum drops.  27-3 here we come!!!
We're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Your post isn't based in reality, it's based on negativity. Now I'm not declaring this to be a great team that should roll through the league. They have much to prove. Conversely, to this point, they've done what they needed to do to have a legit chance to dance. While some of the posters may be spreading candy canes and gum drops, you're spreading salt and vinegar. Neither is appropriate at this time. The appropriate position is cautious optimism. Might we stumble in New England, and then get rolled by Dayton, absolutely, but it's not set in stone the way you seem to feel.

1/14/2020 9:51 am  #13

People are who they are.  Me I like gum drops and enjoying the ride.  

https://twitter.com/TribSports/status/1217065074088726529

Last edited by CLK (1/14/2020 9:54 am)

1/14/2020 10:12 am  #14

CLK - pass the gumdrops please

1/14/2020 10:32 am  #15

I went thru my post line by line, and other than the "pipe dream" comment, its all reality.  I never said we lose all the tough games, I said they are tougher than GW and Larmar and Columbia, the players are better, Toppin, Russell, etc, and many are on the road.

I'll take my salt and vinegar and buzz off for a while.  

1/14/2020 12:59 pm  #16

I don’t understand why people are quibbling over who is right and who is wrong based on levels of optimism or negativity, just makes no sense. Everything is still on the table, the rest of the season could go really well or really poorly, and based on what we’ve seen so far I tend to think the former will be the case.

The topic of this forum highlights Duquesne’s current net ranking which currently puts them in the tourney, and Lunardi has them in the current bracket. The team is in 1st in the A10 with the chance to prove it in front of them. This will be one of the few recent 20 win seasons at worst and the ceiling is not there at the moment. What is the issue?

To me people should be able to be on whatever side of the fence they want to be on without criticism, it makes the conversation more diverse and well rounded. I even liked the comments from Ritter in the past. I don’t want to come here and listen to group think and everyone thinking the same thing as me, I want a variety of opinions regarding the team and the future.

So give me your piss, vinegar, rainbows, and gumdrops, everyone adds something to this board and this team is on one of the great rides of the last recent many decades. Lets all enjoy it together with our varying opinions and see what happens. At the end of the day we have no idea how this will play out and whose current feelings about the team will come to fruition. Off the soapbox.

1/14/2020 1:13 pm  #17

Duques102 wrote:

I don’t understand why people are quibbling over who is right and who is wrong based on levels of optimism or negativity, just makes no sense. Everything is still on the table, the rest of the season could go really well or really poorly, and based on what we’ve seen so far I tend to think the former will be the case.

The topic of this forum highlights Duquesne’s current net ranking which currently puts them in the tourney, and Lunardi has them in the current bracket. The team is in 1st in the A10 with the chance to prove it in front of them. This will be one of the few recent 20 win seasons at worst and the ceiling is not there at the moment. What is the issue?

To me people should be able to be on whatever side of the fence they want to be on without criticism, it makes the conversation more diverse and well rounded. I even liked the comments from Ritter in the past. I don’t want to come here and listen to group think and everyone thinking the same thing as me, I want a variety of opinions regarding the team and the future.

So give me your piss, vinegar, rainbows, and gumdrops, everyone adds something to this board and this team is on one of the great rides of the last recent many decades. Lets all enjoy it together with our varying opinions and see what happens. At the end of the day we have no idea how this will play out and whose current feelings about the team will come to fruition. Off the soapbox.

Well done!

1/14/2020 1:17 pm  #18

I agree with 102; the game results will determine  things for every team.  The only important stat is 14-2, and 4-0.  The team has for the most part put itself in a position to reach a goal; and nothing more.  It sure beats having 6-7 losses and needing to win the A-10 Tourney to find success!

1/14/2020 1:36 pm  #19

levon1975 wrote:

I agree with 102; the game results will determine  things for every team.  The only important stat is 14-2, and 4-0.  The team has for the most part put itself in a position to reach a goal; and nothing more.  It sure beats having 6-7 losses and needing to win the A-10 Tourney to find success!

Exactly! We find ourselves having conversations about the team and it’s prospects that I personally have NEVER been able to have in any realistic sense.

Does that mean we will definitely make the tourney? No. Does that mean we stink and everything to this point has been smoke and mirrors? No.

This team is good, we do not yet no how good, but we have the chance to sit back and watch it unfold from the basically the best possible position we could be in.

Lets enjoy it from whatever perspective you have!

1/14/2020 1:48 pm  #20

I cant wait to see Rhody play against the Dukes.Russell vs. Carry.I think Carry carries
a huge chip on his shoulder and he is going to shine against the A10s darling in Russell.
The great ones play great when they got something to prove and Carry is going to shine
against Russell.Dukes win this one.Carry will be acknowledged as  the best point guard in
A10 after this game

1/14/2020 1:59 pm  #21

Duques102 wrote:

So give me your piss, vinegar, rainbows, and gumdrops,

I believe this begins the 2nd verse of the Statue of Liberty poem. Little-known fact.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/14/2020 2:13 pm  #22

yak-rbc wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

So give me your piss, vinegar, rainbows, and gumdrops,

I believe this begins the 2nd verse of the Statue of Liberty poem. Little-known fact.

1/14/2020 2:55 pm  #23

Duques102 wrote:

This team is indeed on one on one of the great rides of the last 50 years.  I am also enjoying the ride very much, and while I understand that some people like to piss on parades, and others don't seem to mind,  I personally don't have to like it. Doesn't me they are not allowed to do it, or are prohibited from doing it.  To each their own.  I am just expressing my views.  I think we have all breathed too much piss over the last 50 years, but some still seem to crave it.  Me I have a hankering for gum drops.  Just my opinion.

1/14/2020 5:35 pm  #24

CLK wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

This team is indeed on one on one of the great rides of the last 50 years.  I am also enjoying the ride very much, and while I understand that some people like to piss on parades, and others don't seem to mind,  I personally don't have to like it. Doesn't me they are not allowed to do it, or are prohibited from doing it.  To each their own.  I am just expressing my views.  I think we have all breathed too much piss over the last 50 years, but some still seem to crave it.  Me I have a hankering for gum drops.  Just my opinion.

I was not addressing anyone or thing personally CLK, just a general call for civility and an open mind. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and feelings! I think you guys running the board are doing a great job, and noting that I personally like to hear from everyone!

Last edited by Duques102 (1/14/2020 5:37 pm)

1/14/2020 8:07 pm  #25

2020-The Year of Piss Posts
Those with a deep urineing for the Dukes to dance vs. Pessimistic Pee(ps)

(My wife is right. I need another hobby.)

Board footera