Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2020 12:40 pm  #1

AP Top 25

Received 9 votes in the latest poll, starting to open some eyes. I know this doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but any attention like this is good for the program! 

1/13/2020 12:50 pm  #2

Re: AP Top 25

NCAA:  Others receiving votes: Iowa 88, Stanford 77, Arkansas 65, Indiana 50, Virginia 41, Penn State 36, LSU 30, Arizona 20, Wisconsin 19, Liberty 11, Northern Iowa 10, Purdue 10, Duquesne 9, Washington 9, TCU 8, Rutgers 8, Virginia Tech 5, Oregon State 4, Houston 4, BYU 3, East Tennessee State 2, Saint Mary's 1, Harvard 1, Akron 1, USC 1

1/13/2020 12:58 pm  #3

While the focus from fans and pundits is mainly on the metric based rankings for determining post season play, you’d be hard pressed to find a team ranked late into the regular season being left out of the dance. Being ranked during conference season is still a big deal, IMO. Obviously the later, the better but it forces you in the conversation of the committee.

To go from a sort of token vote from Feinstein to nothing then 9 is a pleasant surprise to me. The voting is fickle but here’s to the Dukes earning the 90+ more votes likely needed to get ranked and stake a claim nationally that Duquesne is truly in the conversation for the dance.

1/13/2020 1:02 pm  #4

This does mean a lot in the grand scheme of things! I know there are posters so used to years of sucking that they want to knock back the importance/legitimacy of things like votes/bracket projections, but the reality is this is the beginning of being on the map nationally and getting much more attention than we have in decades!!!

Keith got his guys in, improved the record over two years, and now we are here, with a revamped home court to play in next year. Some want to say this means nothing, but the reality is we are now actually taking initial steps to be the next Wichita State, or VCU, or any other program that seemed to come up from nowhere.

We are past the walking stage in crawl walk run. Idk exactly where we are but if we keep winning over the next few weeks we should be ranked.

“We only got one vote from a guy who roots for the underdog” “were only in the bracket because we are 1st in conference by record (as if that is some gimmick!)”

We now have 9 votes. We will STILL be in the bracket because we are STILL 1st in the A10 by record, and are now 1 of only 3 unbeaten in conference with VCU and Richmond going down this weekend!

This is everything we wanted and hoped for! If we continue to win, the recognition will continue and this team CAN make the tourney THIS YEAR. They can hang with every team in the A10 this year, including Dayton.

We are in the middle of the Duquesne basketball renaissance we have been agonizing for for years. It is ok to believe and accept that! Sorry for venting, just tired of the naysayers and those wanting to knock back the legitimacy of all this positive national attention!

When was the last time any of this was happening excluding Ron’s one great start to the A10 season that ended up collapsing?! This is all great and necessary to getting where we want to go!!!

1/13/2020 1:24 pm  #5

Will the students ,alumni and basketball fans react by showing up at the rest of the home games 
and support this team?The Dukes deserve some love and fan interest is a key ingredient that
is woefully missing to really get the Duquesne basketball program rolling.

1/13/2020 1:39 pm  #6

stew wrote:

Will the students ,alumni and basketball fans react by showing up at the rest of the home games 
and support this team?The Dukes deserve some love and fan interest is a key ingredient that

By my estimation, this is the only thing seriously lacking. Have to think continued winning will bridge the gap and bring continued interest.

The sad thing with students these days as it relates to game attendance is that unless you are a name brand and perennially ranked, they will not show. Look at Pitt football and basketball, and a number of other P5 schools in the lower ends of their conference. Most students probably don’t even think we are d1. Rankings, big name opponents, and continued success will change that.

1/13/2020 1:41 pm  #7

Ite, I was wrong, and many of you were right. I did not expect this coming this week.

I have a good amount of faith that the Dukes will win in Rhody next week. This team has opportunities to do something special.

Go out and bring friends to watch Duquesne take care of Fordham

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/13/2020 1:44 pm  #8

When was the last time we got 9 votes in the AP?

1/13/2020 1:46 pm  #9

stew wrote:

I know this isn’t aiming high but I will be disappointed if they don’t get at least 3,000 for Fordham. 

FYI.  RMC attendance for their first two conference games were 646 and somewhere around 1,045 for their second conference game.   And both attendance figures were inflated.  Their last conference game this Saturday there were less than 500 people actually there. 

We drew 1,300 and 1,800 at their place. And I attended the Davidson game and the 1,800 seemed correct.

1/13/2020 1:50 pm  #10

The biggest advantage to being ranked is that your highlights get shown on Sport Center. That's what puts a program on the map. High school kids don't care who was good a decade ago, they care about who's good now. String a couple of strong years together, and now you're one of the big dogs in their eyes.

1/13/2020 1:52 pm  #11

townsonkid wrote:

Probably during the 11 game winning streak.

1/13/2020 1:52 pm  #12

Send the Dukes out on the road with a good crowd at the Fordham game.Dukes need and deserve
bigger crowds and tomorrow would be a good start .

1/13/2020 2:04 pm  #13

duq81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Probably during the 11 game winning streak.

Yes, we were like 3rd-5th in “others receiving votes” during that run. We were maybe 1 or 2 wins from cracking the actual top 25 when we started losing that year.

1/13/2020 2:14 pm  #14

In 2011 Dukes got as high as 15 votes in the January 31st edition and then 1 vote the following week.

In terms of crowd size - yes the attendance numbers cited by A83 were seemingly an accurate count of actual bodies in seats.

I expect really good student turnout. With the hype Duquesne is starting to generate coupled with the limited amount of times to actually see them in Pittsburgh, there will be a higher concentration of students at this game. Additionally, I believe the students set single-game student attendance records at football and volleyball in the fall, so I'm thinking marketing has been fairly successful.

Also, it's not like they're coming from nowhere. Relatively speaking there were *a lot* of students in late season games against Rhody, SLU, VCU, etc. The base of last season is there

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/13/2020 2:30 pm  #15

Here's the breakdown on who voted for the Dukes.
https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/duquesne-dukes/2019

1/13/2020 2:38 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

The biggest advantage to being ranked is that your highlights get shown on Sport Center. That's what puts a program on the map. High school kids don't care who was good a decade ago, they care about who's good now. String a couple of strong years together, and now you're one of the big dogs in their eyes.

And your conference games get shown on ESPN, CBSSports or NBCSports in the first place as opposed to streaming on ESPN+. Dukes make a whopping four appearances on the main sports cable networks this season vs. 15 for VCU and 13 apiece for Davidson and Dayton, not counting non-conference games. That ties us with GW for second-lowest total in the A10, ahead of only Fordham (3). I suspect that sort of thing makes a difference to recruits too. 

1/13/2020 2:47 pm  #17

VBC wrote:

Was looking for this to update.

2 votes at 23rd (including Feinstein)
1 vote at 24th
1 vote at 25th

1/13/2020 2:54 pm  #18

yak-rbc wrote:

VBC wrote:

1 vote at 24th
1 vote at 25th

I thought we got 9 votes this week though??

1/13/2020 2:57 pm  #19

Duques102 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

VBC wrote:

1 vote at 24th
1 vote at 25th

I believe it is 1 point for 25, 2 points being 24 and 3 points apiece for 23, which adds up to 9.

A unanimous number 1 by my count of the 65 pollsters would be 1,625 (25 points for each number 1 ranking).

I believe that is how it works.

1/13/2020 2:59 pm  #20

Duques102 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

VBC wrote:

1 vote at 24th
1 vote at 25th

There is a weighting to the votes.   23rd worth more that 25th

25th - 1 point
24th - 2 points
23rd - 3 points x 2 = 6.   For the total of 9.

Board footera