Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2020 3:25 pm  #1

Current Atmosphere On This Board

In this instance anyone can provide a quotation in support of a concept but can everyone (me included) commit to stepping-back for a brief interval in order to consider the following sensibility:

Reality simply consists of different points of view.
--Margaret Atwood

1/14/2020 3:55 pm  #2

Re: Current Atmosphere On This Board

Winning hasn't solved anything if we're 14-2/4-0 and continue to be pessimistic about the future.

All I'm saying is, enjoy it. For someone like me, I may not get to see many more seasons like this, and lord knows, I haven't seen many others in my lifetime.

1/14/2020 4:30 pm  #3

it is perpetual "waiting for the other shoe to drop"  lol

getting used to winning takes time

Go Dukes!
L - '06

1/14/2020 4:31 pm  #4

To quote someone who has -- like all of us -- endured some bad basketball seasons in his life:

"Winning feels better than losing."

1/15/2020 3:08 am  #5

The point of my last post had nothing to do with winning. My point had to do with one's perception being their reality and as such it cannot be incorrect for that person. Whether we agree, or not, with someone's perception, we should at least extend tolerance for their right to have and express their opinion.
In regards to my notion of winning being the end all: My passion for and loyalty to Dukes basketball spans 55+ years and, as mjp1542 succinctly declares, has "endured some bad basketball seasons in his life." At the time I chose my citation "Winning Solves Everything" it seemed reasonable in response to our basketball team's athletic health and the corresponding environment on this board. Today my quotation is outdated and is no longer appropriate to current events and will be replaced with a more contemporary outlook which reflects on my view of both the team and our posting board. Understand that I love our team and like our forum regardless of existing perfections and imperfections.
Go Dukes

1/15/2020 8:29 am  #6

For those of you that don’t know me, I’m a high school principal. I handle conflict between kids all day.

People will have their own opinion but should try to express it without offending or taking offense.

This is still a game to enjoy the long awaited success without worrying about how much we should be enjoying it.

🙄

Last edited by coffee (1/15/2020 8:59 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/15/2020 8:56 am  #7

You can say that again Coffee

1/15/2020 9:05 am  #8

I haven’t missed anyone’s point or perspective. Having been on these boards for nigh unto what? 25 years? that there would be more giddiness about the way the season has gone. That’s all. Someone stated it eloquently elsewhere in a post: some are probably waiting for the other shoe to drop. OK, I get it. But I’m in a position where I advise and counsel many people who go through very difficult things in life. I don’t have answers, but I typically advise people: don’t worry about things that haven’t happened yet. Plenty of time to cross that bridge when you come to it. And be positive, because it gets you through more things than you’ll know.

And Coffee — my friend— unless you’re the principal of a single kid being homeschooled, there is plenty of drama going on. 😊

1/15/2020 10:50 am  #9

Yes as a long suffering Dukes fan we have had more then our share of disappointments. I don’t have all day to name them. But at times I fall into my old habits. For example Rhoade Island has always defeated the Dukes starting the February swoon. Stop be objective. The past teams, players and administration has nothing to do with the 2020 Dukes. Old habits are hard to kick but why can’t Dambrots Dukes get an at large NCAA bid. They can. Go Dukes.

1/15/2020 12:57 pm  #10

coffee wrote:

For those of you that don’t know me, I’m a high school principal. I handle conflict between kids all day.

People will have their own opinion but should try to express it without offending or taking offense.

This is still a game to enjoy the long awaited success without worrying about how much we should be enjoying it.

🙄

Former teacher here Coffee!  If you don't mind my asking, where are you a principal?  I taught in Altoona for 10 years but had to step back due to some health issues (Cystic Fibrosis sucks).

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/15/2020 3:27 pm  #11

I don’t know how this season will end.   But it’s almost like people want to fast forward to the end of the season, to know whether they enjoyed the season or not.   If that’s your attitude then maintain media silence.  Turn off the sports and send me your phone number.   I’ll text you when the clock hits zero of the championship game.  Then you can look at the Dukes results abc find out whether you enjoyed the season. 

I have been very excited and happy when they have won.  And angry as hell when they lost.   Both emotions are better than the apathy that set in by this time in too many past seasons.

Last edited by A83 (1/15/2020 5:11 pm)

1/15/2020 4:18 pm  #12

The only relevant years of DU BB in the last 20 years are Ron's years and this present team. Both have different styles of play and both win games. Todays Dukes are winning with the potential of post season.  I really like this team and the coach. There is a very real feeling that this team can go somewhere this post season. Let's give them all the support we can, and enjoy the rest of the season. Tough games ahead, but this team just may surprise the skeptics.

1/15/2020 5:59 pm  #13

Simms wrote:

coffee wrote:

🙄

Former teacher here Coffee!  If you don't mind my asking, where are you a principal?  I taught in Altoona for 10 years but had to step back due to some health issues (Cystic Fibrosis sucks).

I work at East Allegheny, home of the Wildcats!

Dave Loya is our AD-  Anybody remember Dave?

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

Board footera