Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2020 9:20 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

A good night for Lamar and nobody else; KD included.

Walking the ball up the court to run the ineffectual half-court offense for the last 4 minutes of regulation & OT was a very curious choice.

A win is a win. Moving on.

1/15/2020 9:22 pm  #27

Can you stall like that with no TOs and draw up a play...?

1/15/2020 9:26 pm  #28

And another "This one would have been a loss under previous administrations"  Win  I'll take it.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/15/2020 9:32 pm  #29

I don't want to get this wrong. Did KD say Maceo's sister passed away?

1/15/2020 9:41 pm  #30

Pretty cold greeting between coaches after the game.

1/15/2020 9:52 pm  #31

phil95 wrote:

I heard him say that as well.  Condolences to Maceo and his family.  

1/15/2020 9:58 pm  #32

CLK wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I heard him say that as well.  Condolences to Maceo and his family.  

I heard it too. Don't know if she'd been sick, or if it was something sudden. Might explain why they were flat.

1/15/2020 10:14 pm  #33

Yikes, condolences to all of them. That's terrible.

--------------------------------------------
Completely separate topic,

No joke, is that actually legal to attempt an unallowable substitution so that you can draw up a play when you have no time outs? That just seemed scummy.

Last edited by Face (1/15/2020 10:14 pm)

1/15/2020 10:20 pm  #34

Just got home. We have always had problems with a zone. They were collapsing on Hughes and Weathers the entire game. Do we not practice against a zone when we know the opposition plays a zone almost exclusively.   Put a big in the high post and use him to facilitate instead of passing the ball around the perimeter. Just askin’

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/15/2020 10:23 pm  #35

Face wrote:

No joke, is that actually legal to attempt an unallowable substitution so that you can draw up a play when you have no time outs? That just seemed scummy.

That is not legal. Ask Chris Weber of the Michigan Fab Five what happens when you call a timeout without having one. You get T’ed up.

1/15/2020 10:25 pm  #36

KenOTR73 wrote:

Face wrote:

That is not legal. Ask Chris Weber of the Michigan Fab Five what happens when you call a timeout without having one. You get T’ed up.

Right, though no one called a TO. He just tried to sub in a player when he couldn’t to ice Sin and get the time to draw up a play. Thought he should have gotten a technical. That was a trash move.

1/15/2020 10:29 pm  #37

Condolences to Maceo & his loved ones. Here's hoping tonight's contest was a comforting distraction for at least a couple of hours.

1/15/2020 10:30 pm  #38

One more thing. It looks like we are locked into a 7 man rotation. Shades of the Iron Dukes from my years with Red Manning. One man goes down and we’re in deep doo-doo.

1/15/2020 10:30 pm  #39

I had issues with all the adults in control tonight.
Well, KD had a good press conference, made me feel better.

Last edited by MikeR (1/15/2020 11:08 pm)

1/15/2020 10:34 pm  #40

KenOTR73 wrote:

One more thing. It looks like we are locked into a 7 man rotation. Shades of the Iron Dukes from my years with Red Manning. One man goes down and we’re in deep doo-doo.

He'll use 9 if the Dukes have a decent lead. Never had that tonight, so he stuck with his main guys.

1/15/2020 11:08 pm  #41

At least the team won't have to spend a week thinking about the game that slipped away.

1/15/2020 11:13 pm  #42

Well in searching for a silver lining I came up with this...for many years we've been on the other side of these games. A bad team takes a top team down to the wire. I used to be optimistic and think we had turned a corner. Of course we never had, but after all those years I think we finally have. There aren't too many teams we will beat with this kind of offensive output, but at least the defense was still there, Lamar got hot, and everyone chipped in in crunch time. An ugly win is still a win. 15-2 with a week off is great even if the 15th win wasn't.

1/15/2020 11:20 pm  #43

The Dukes need to penetrate the zone to the hoop and crash the boards.  We had no one in the paint for offensive rebounds most of the game.  We also did not push to the hoop on transitions, allowing Fordham to get set in their defense. The Dukes need to score in transition more. We let Fordham play their game and never made them uncomfortable.  KD needs to put in some plays to attack and penetrate zones, or he is going to see a lot more in the up coming games. But, on the bright side,  a win is a win.

1/15/2020 11:29 pm  #44

1/15/2020 11:29 pm  #45

Ugly win, but the obvious answer is the W is better than the L. Fordham under Neubauer flat out gives us fits in Pittsburgh. They shorten the game, seem to make shots late in the clock and don't allow the game to flow.

Neubauer really stalled flow in this game with the early timeouts after made threes, the offense for defense subs throughout and lobbying for replay reviews to buy the extra timeouts he didn't have. (Dukes also lobbied for a replay review that took as long as a media timeout on a possible flagrant that the refs didn't deem so). Refs allowing Fordham to ice Sin with no timeouts left was bad work by them and they got completely duped by Neubauer's tactic.

Obviously, big credit to Lamar being the main source of offense tonight. Fordham made it hard to get it down low but fortunately Lamar made them pay in a big way. And with the usually balanced scoring effort not there tonight, it saved us tonight. 

The metric based rankings took a hit after this one (mattering to some sort of extent for postseason resume comparisons), but considering the human element of what happened off the court and hearing KD's presser, it puts it into perspective. Glad they still won despite an off night and condolences to Maceo and his family.  

1/15/2020 11:31 pm  #46

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZacharyMWeiss/status/1217592133407903745

Coach has said Maceo connects the team. This had to affect them. I give them even more credit for gutting this one out. Prayers and condolences to Maceo and his family.

1/16/2020 5:59 am  #47

Coach better study game film to understand what Fordham was doing to Duquesne’s offense because every team in the conference will be doing the same now.

Condolences to Maceo, his family and the team.

Last edited by coffee (1/16/2020 7:50 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/16/2020 8:04 am  #48

Wow!  Lots of good points here...Here are my thoughts - reinforcing what some have and haven’t said...
-Prayers for Maceos family.  I know there are a number of children and at LaRoche, one of his sisters sat behind us for a few of the games.  Salt of the Earth...don’t know if ...
-I could comment on the pass Sincere threw to no one...he looked totally out of it...maybe because of the passing...enough of that...as there were a number of individual blunders.
BIG PICTURE
-Agree with poster who said  coach needs to figure out what to do when someone slows it down and they packed it in and were very successful in keeping our bigs out of the middle
-Well, it caught up with Hughes - He DID deserve the technical the way he acted after the dunk...on the rim a little too long...then brushing past the opposing player...etc.  Don’t get me wrong, I like the kid...but he needs to move past this crap
-Many lazy passes - don’t get in that habit
-Coach should have taken out TDM at times - not sure why he didn’t
-We have turned the corner - we would have never won that game and the one this weekend in the past

Go Dukes!
-

1/16/2020 8:15 am  #49

Yes a win is a win. However two major concerns. Fordhams coach dictated the pace of the entire game. Night before WVU vs TCU ( Jamie Dixon) Huggs  forced a fast passed game. Dixon as his days at Pitt won games 51-47. Against the zone defense run a classic UCLA high post with the 4 on the low block. The Dukes literally had 4 players standing around the outside perimeter to launch 3s. Thank you Lamar. But no offensive boards. No secrets in league play. Dukes have 1 week to figure this out. Coach Dambrot gets a C minus for the Fordham game. A minus non conference schedule. A so far A10 schedule.

1/16/2020 8:44 am  #50

I don’t think it makes sense to judge the intangibles of this game in that way. For one, obviously, there’s the death in Maceo’s family weighing on folks.

For two, sometimes you just have an off night shooting. TDM, for example, had some good looks that just didn’t fall. This looked like the team forcing things more than Fordham stifling them.

For three, slower pacing doesn’t matter quite so much since the team is more defensive oriented. We’re a little too used to past coaches’ fast-paced high-possession style. They’re *capable* of scoring, yes, but it feels like KD would rather win 70-65 than 85-80. I would suggest the scores earlier in the year were more about the level of the opponent rather than a style preference. He had some teams in the top 1/3 of the NCAA in scoring at Akron, but he also had some good ones in the middle of the road.

Finally, I hope the Dukes protest with the league about how Neubauer handled the end of overtime.

Last edited by Face (1/16/2020 8:50 am)

Board footera