Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2020 6:05 pm  #1

Game Thread - Rhode Island Rams

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 01/22/2020 at the Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Per KenPom:
Dukes #77 (15-2; 5-0) vs Rhode Island Rams #70 (12-5; 4-1)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 4, 69-65 - Dukes with 36% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 4 point underdogs; Over/Under 137
Duquesne 8-9 Against the Spread; Rhode Island 8-9 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Saint Louis (84); Davidson (100); Indiana State (112)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): UAB (172); Marshall (153)
Rhode Island Best Win(s): Alabama (44); VCU (48); Providence (74)
Rhode Island Worst Loss(es): Brown (211); Richmond (72); LSU (34)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Rhode Island for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (57); Offensive Rebound % (83)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (298) 
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (30); Turnover % (64); Effective FG % (92)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at Rhode Island in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (2); Offensive Rebound % (3); Turnover % (4)
Offensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (13)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (1); Effective FG % (3)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (68)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (42); FT Rate (56); Turnover % (90)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (3); FT Rate (4)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (1); FT Rate (2) 
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (13); Turnover % (11)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Rhode Island Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.3, #147 in D-1; 95.6, #10 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 93.9, #55 in D-1; 89.3, #3 in A-10
Rhode Island Adj Defense Efficiency - 92.7, #38 in D-1; 88.4, #1 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.8, #130 in D-1; 103.0, #3 in A-10
Rhode Island Adj Tempo - 71.3, #51 in D-1; 69.5, #9 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.6, #220 in D-1; 65.7, #12 in A-10

Miscellaneous
Experience - Rhode Island 1.66 yrs, #188 in D-1; Dukes 1.41 yrs, #271 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Rhode Island 74.6%, #12 in D-1; Dukes 55.2%, #111 in D-1
Average Height - Rhode Island 76.9", #161 in D-1; Dukes 75.9", #298 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/22/2020 7:28 am)

1/21/2020 6:05 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Rhode Island Rams

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 84th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
Rhode Island is 61st in the country and OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=477&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

1/21/2020 6:52 pm  #3

So basically, especially due to their stronger schedule I believe, they are rated better than us and we are supposed to lose.  Well then, a wonderful challenge for Coach D and the boys.  Talk is cheap all the way around.  Let's see what transpires.  Go Dukes!

1/21/2020 7:11 pm  #4

The guards need to hold onto the ball. The bigs need to stay disciplined on defense, but still be aggressive. They’ve got a lot of talent, but I think we matchup well with them. If we play our brand of basketball I think we win even against a good team in a tough place to play.

1/21/2020 7:23 pm  #5

The fact that Duquesne is getting votes in the Top 25 poll over other teams in the conference like Rhody, Richmond, & St. Louis is an absolute joke. Don't get me wrong, Duquesne is likely a good team and Rhody should show up with their "A" game if they want to beat them, but they're by no means Top 25 caliber. They'd be lucky to be Top 50. They haven't won against anyone good. Rhody will be the best team they've played all season thus far.
This is what Rhody needs to do on Wednesday! Dunk face baby! ALL DAY! ALLLLLLL DAY!  
KeaneyBlue.com  is the website.

This is from the Rhode Island Rams Men's Basketball fan forum.  Basically, they are saying the exact same things we are in terms of needing a win, a must win, etc.

Last edited by FAM (1/21/2020 7:33 pm)

1/21/2020 7:53 pm  #6

This will be the first game the metrics has Duquesne as an underdog all season.

Rhody's win in VCU might be the biggest win of the year in A10 play.

Basically all of Rhody, SLU, UR, and Duquesne will all be scrapping to get at least 15 wins. Everyone has basically arrived at the same spot and there arent enough wins to go around.

Last season the Dukes had that wild comeback down 19 in about 12 minutes and ended up winning by 3 after I think Frankie Hughes caught fire.

The season before that Duquesne had a big lead against the ranked Rams in Rhode Island and fell on a buzzer beater.

I fully expect this to be similar. Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/21/2020 8:40 pm  #7

yak-rbc wrote:

Basically all of Rhody, SLU, UR, and Duquesne will all be scrapping to get at least 15 wins. Everyone has basically arrived at the same spot and there arent enough wins to go around.

Last season the Dukes had that wild comeback down 19 in about 12 minutes and ended up winning by 3 after I think Frankie Hughes caught fire.

The season before that Duquesne had a big lead against the ranked Rams in Rhode Island and fell on a buzzer beater.

Don't think we need 15 wins. 14 is the magic number, plus one in Brooklyn. The key for all five of those teams is to avoid losing to the teams below them. Easier said than done, especially with regard to Bona.

1/21/2020 9:09 pm  #8

yak-rbc wrote:

Not only the metrics, but this is the first time that the Dukes have not been favored this year. I saw that Cyril Langevine did not practice yesterday due to an ankle injury suffered in the La Salle game; listed as day to day.

1/22/2020 12:29 am  #9

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

Not only the metrics, but this is the first time that the Dukes have not been favored this year. I saw that Cyril Langevine did not practice yesterday due to an ankle injury suffered in the La Salle game; listed as day to day.

Not to sound cynical but I bet it’s precautionary and he plays tomorrow. This is a huge game for both squads.

1/22/2020 12:47 am  #10

Duquesne players and coaches have been through a very emotional week over the tragedy of
Sara Austins passing.From what I read  this beautiful young lady made a positive impact on 
the lives of others and suddenly she is gone.Prayers to Maceo,his family and all the friends
who loved her.

1/22/2020 8:13 am  #11

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

Were we favored against SLU? I dont remember for sure...

Also, Langevine will almost certainly play; however perusing the Rhody board, someone commented they think Langevine has lost some explosiveness due to something lingering. Seems like they're right - Langevine's shooting numbers are way down this year across the board, although his assist rates and block/steal rates are higher

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/22/2020 9:18 am  #12

I'm all for hacking Langevine if he's going up inside just like the big guy from St. Louis. I'm pretty sure coach mentioned that on the post game show after the SLU game.

1/22/2020 9:37 am  #13

44% from the line and 38% in conference play.....yikes....have at it.

http://files.triblive.com/podcasts/sportstalk/DecourcyA10.mp3

Dukes were the headliner in Tim Benz's podcast this morning. He had an interview with Mike DeCourcy of the Big Ten Network who used to cover the Dukes.

Worth noting that DeCourcy has the Dukes closer to the field than Lunardi at this point in time, and he opined a lot about how the A10 is going to cannibalize itself away from 3 bids most likely one way or another.

1/22/2020 12:53 pm  #14

I saw a link to last years's game at Rhode Island and thought it might be worth a look.  After skipping around on it, there's a lot good and bad to learn from it.  I'm pretty sure KD would have his players watch it because many of the same players for Rhoddy are still on their team -- AND -- The  tenacious KD defense was blazingly on display.   Ironically, as effective as the DUQ defense was at keeping the scoring down (61 - 58) and the Dukes in the lead for most of the game, in the end it was a 3-pointer by Rhody's Stanford Robinson at the buzzer that did them in.   AND also Rhoddy's known for generating turnovers & Duq's 17+ played an extensive role in them losing a 2nd half 15 point lead.  

PS True Duquesne had different players for that game, but those players did suscribe well to the KD defense.  

Last edited by gjgsr (1/22/2020 12:56 pm)

1/22/2020 1:29 pm  #15

Rhody has a couple of bigs.   Will be an interesting inside game.  If Michael and stay out of foul trouble.....

Last edited by RedAndBlueRUS1 (1/22/2020 1:29 pm)

1/22/2020 1:42 pm  #16

gjgsr wrote:

I saw a link to last years's game at Rhode Island and thought it might be worth a look.  After skipping around on it, there's a lot good and bad to learn from it.  I'm pretty sure KD would have his players watch it because many of the same players for Rhoddy are still on their team -- AND -- The  tenacious KD defense was blazingly on display.   Ironically, as effective as the DUQ defense was at keeping the scoring down (61 - 58) and the Dukes in the lead for most of the game, in the end it was a 3-pointer by Rhody's Stanford Robinson at the buzzer that did them in.   AND also Rhoddy's known for generating turnovers & Duq's 17+ played an extensive role in them losing a 2nd half 15 point lead.  

PS True Duquesne had different players for that game, but those players did suscribe well to the KD defense.  

That wasn't last year though. That was two years ago. None of those Dukes are still on the team. Roster totally turned over in two years.

1/22/2020 2:08 pm  #17

AS I said months ago...my two DUBB wishes:
1.  Be competitive in every game (so far, only one we weren’t)
2.  Make the NIT

These haven’t changed - don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but chances are we won’t go undefeated the rest of the year...and the next 3 games will “probably” depend on talent.  Our coaches match up against any coaches we are playing.  So it will be how our players do...
Do I want a win tonight?? YEP - Of Course - We all Do - But at least be Competitive.  Go Dukes!!!

1/22/2020 3:31 pm  #18

I have no trouble remaining optimistic as a Dukes fan despite 40+ years of not making the NCAA Tournament.

So long as I don't read anyone else's half-empty accounts.

Go Dukes! Let's Dance!

1/22/2020 5:56 pm  #19

FAM wrote:

AS I said months ago...my two DUBB wishes:
1.  Be competitive in every game (so far, only one we weren’t)
2.  Make the NIT

These haven’t changed - don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but chances are we won’t go undefeated the rest of the year...and the next 3 games will “probably” depend on talent.  Our coaches match up against any coaches we are playing.  So it will be how our players do...
Do I want a win tonight?? YEP - Of Course - We all Do - But at least be Competitive.  Go Dukes!!!

I concur. Hard to win on the road against anyone, their site is viewing this as a "must win" considering they have 2 losses.  The Dukes can win, but I just hope they are 6-1 when they face Dayton. A competitive 5 pt loss would not be a disaster as long as we beat Umess

1/22/2020 6:05 pm  #20

https://twitter.com/billkoch25/status/1220099282977665031

Per Bill Koch, Providence Journal:
Per #URI source, Cyril Langevine (left ankle) practiced in full Tuesday and will play against Duquesne. Langevine suffered a mild sprain early in the second half of Saturday's victory over La Salle. He was held out of Monday's practice as a precaution. #Rams #A10MBB

1/22/2020 7:14 pm  #21

Good start, let's keep it up.

1/22/2020 7:38 pm  #22

Martin Dunn-Tavian needs to watch those TOs.

1/22/2020 7:50 pm  #23

Please come out strong in the 2nd half.

1/22/2020 8:01 pm  #24

MikeR wrote:

Martin Dunn-Tavian needs to watch those TOs.

Duke’s should have been up by double digits if he didn’t take the T.

Dumb!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/22/2020 8:03 pm  #25

Tavian broke the kids ankles but he needs to be quiet after he does it.

Board footera