Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2020 8:37 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - University of Massachusetts Minutemen

Water always settles to its level. Middle of the pack team. No postseason.

1/26/2020 10:18 am  #52

The team looks deflated and frustrated. That makes all the difference between competing for the top and being middle of the pack. We have talent to be middle of the pack minimum, but if the team doesn’t believe in themselves it doesn’t matter. Two things I’ve been thinking about, is Maceo’s family tragedy having an bigger impact? Dambrot has hinted that he is a ‘glue’ guy in the locker room. Also, no Ellis on the bench during the road trip? We have all noticed how animated and supportive he is during games, the bench looks dead without him, another ‘glue’ factor in the locker room. These are kids, I think the mental aspect is important. Dambrot has some work to do to try to get their confidence back.

1/26/2020 10:45 am  #53

Lots of good points by all and let me add my two cents:

*KD has said you first need to win the ones you are supposed to win and yesterday was one we should have won.  Iron Duke, I'm with you, WTF is going on here, makes me wonder.

*Foul shooting - Now we know how the St. Louis fans must feel when their team is in a tight game.  Good Lord that was piss poor.  Anyone notice how many times Weathers barely hit the front of the rim??  Fatigue setting in?

*Talent - We need more of it; our outside shooting is not good and we don't seem to have a go to guy as the Professor pointed out.  I like the balance when we are on, but you still need someone who wants the rock in crunch time and can deliver.  Maceo is our best freshman recruit in quite a while and when his shot becomes more consistent he will be a really, really good player.  SC has the talent as well, but his proclamation about being the "best PG in the A-10" is not accurate.  Problem is that we don't have enough talent  to pressure our guards to feel they could ride the pine extensively.  I believe that will change next year with Jett and Acuilo (name) coming in.  On paper it looks to me that this incoming class is KD's best.

*Coach & Staff - I am with CLK somewhat on coach taking some responsibility here.  First, tell Baylee you are playing within 8' of the basket and that is it offensively.  He doesn't shoot consistently enough (like many others) for him to have a green light from out in 3 point land. They mentioned on the broadcast yesterday that KD has had the same staff for many, many years.  Well here is a proposition, maybe that is not a good thing.  Sometimes change, and it doesn't need to be wholesale, is a good thing.  Look how UMass got Tre Mitchell, the GMan told me that they brought on his HS Coach and sometimes that is what it takes.  Bring in a kid that can recruit.

*Freshman Embarrassment - We just got schooled gents by two frighin freshman, one of who had his first start of the year.  Are you frighin kidding me! Mitchell went around Steele and Rotroff like they had cement shoes.  GMan is right about lack of lateral quickness across the board.  Other teams guards seem to get around us regularly. 

*Attitude & Leadership - I too am sick of MH and TDM losing control and always chirping at the mouth.  Coach needs to reign those two in before it rubs off on all the others.  We have several juniors, but where is the leadership???!!!!  Something is missing here.  It is a talent question and a leadership question.  Panic at the disco when we go down by 7 or 10.

*I expect a strong performance against Dayton as the team will be fired up.  It's either that or a Dayton blow-out.  We don't have the mental toughness to be up for lesser teams and know that you stick the blade in and turn.  We come out flat and can't reverse it.  Dukes won't have that problem with Dayton I suspect.

Ok, enough of my rant.  Good day boys.

1/26/2020 11:32 am  #54

Pistol Pete, I agree with your positions.  Continue sharing the Gman's thoughts.  Sounds like he's someone who knows basketball.  I readily admit that my knowledge is superficial but I am a Dukes fan and really want them to do well and win.

Econ, I really hope you are correct.

Ritters, as much as I hope you are not correct, I don't discount your opinion.  You may well be right.

Time will tell...

1/26/2020 12:01 pm  #55

Professor, the GMan is a recognized resource for BBall intel!!!!  LOL  Iron Duke, what say you about this goonch theory?

1/26/2020 12:45 pm  #56

Watching this game again 50/50 loose balls & rebounds. I think the Dukes got shutout. In fact it was like watching a Jim Ferry team. Yes you can have off nights shooting but toughness & hustle just requires a mind set. Coach Dambrot May want to bring out the shoulder pads Tom Izzo  Michigan State style. Great points by the Pistol. One more observation regarding Steele. When he sets the pick at the elbows & pops out for the 3 can he flash to the paint if the ball is passed to a wing or low block. Probably I higher shooting percentage then 1-8. The sad thing was that Duquesne played better ( First half) against a more talented team Rhode Island then a young inexperienced UMASS team.

1/26/2020 1:22 pm  #57

I just can't bring myself to consider physical fatigue as a factor in the team's recent woes. There have been about a half dozen breaks between games of 5-10 days each, no significant amount of games have been lost to injury among the top 10 scholarship players,& Sin is the only player averaging even a mildly concerning amount of minutes.

On the mental side, Maceo's loss & the musical home courts are the only obvious potential reasons for psychological drain. Winning 80% of your games is not generally considered stressful.

Maturity & mental toughness are simply lacking.

1/26/2020 1:59 pm  #58

Good points by many here! I tend to lean towards the "mental" part of it. Yes, the season can become long and tedious. Certainly an issue to consider. But these are young guys, in shape, practicing and should be at the top of their game now. It's January. It's basketball season. No room for anything but focus. I suspect the grind of practicing in a makeshift area and playing everywhere except "home" is taking a bit of a toll. Not to mention the Maceo Austin scenario, a tragedy that causes heartache and distraction. But a lot of it boils down to excuses. At some point, if you want to be a player, you've got to make the plays. This team looked completely disinterested from the get-go against UMass. There's no excuse whatsoever for that, especially with a chance to "shock the world." C'mon, fellas, it's time to get it together and play some ball!

1/26/2020 2:03 pm  #59

Ironduke, you watched that game again???  Now THAT is toughness!!!

1/26/2020 2:49 pm  #60

Maybe I'm settling, but things are better than before Dambrot...
The Good - We go into games and I believe we have a chance to win
                   DU got some PR this year not just locally but nationally
                   They have been fun to watch, and the season still isn't over
The Bad -   Like someone said, Dambrot's teams usually start strong and fade
                   For sake of argument, it does appear that we did have a weak schedule and that is why our record has been so good
                   No one is perfect, but it appears like there is a lack of focus on the part of the players and the coach seems to be struggling in the A-10 against A-10 opponents...this isn't the MAC
The Ugly - I honestly can't remember the last time the Dukes had one player who was called for technical files so often and seems to be a head case on the court.  And...it seems to be bleeding into other players.

But again...things certainly are better than when Ferry was here...maybe my bar is just too low.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (1/26/2020 2:50 pm)

1/26/2020 3:14 pm  #61

Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar; and the team will come out and compete hard against a loaded Dayton team.  Duquesne has always played tough games against Dayton; and I expect the same on Wednesday.  You beat Dayton and nobody remembers UMASS!

1/26/2020 4:22 pm  #62

phil95 wrote:

I just can't bring myself to consider physical fatigue as a factor in the team's recent woes. There have been about a half dozen breaks between games of 5-10 days each, no significant amount of games have been lost to injury among the top 10 scholarship players,& Sin is the only player averaging even a mildly concerning amount of minutes.

On the mental side, Maceo's loss & the musical home courts are the only obvious potential reasons for psychological drain. Winning 80% of your games is not generally considered stressful.

Maturity & mental toughness are simply lacking.

I'm with you there, Phil, but for lack of a better explanation, this team just isn't playing with the same energy we saw earlier in the season. It really should be more mental than physical, else I'm not sure how they're going to make it through the rest of the season. And speaking of that rest of the season, we're 5-2 in A10 play, same as we were at this point last year. Last year's team went 5-6 the rest of the way. With a tougher conference and a thinner roster, I'm not sure how this team will be able to fare better than that. But the last two-game losing streak led to a five-game winning streak and we still haven't lost in the state of Pennsylvania yet, so there's hope I guess.

1/26/2020 5:56 pm  #63

levon1975 wrote:

Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar; and the team will come out and compete hard against a loaded Dayton team. Duquesne has always played tough games against Dayton; and I expect the same on Wednesday. You beat Dayton and nobody remembers UMASS!

This says it all. We've got them on our home floor where we beat them two years ago. We also gave them everything they could take at their place last year. We're fading badly, but we're still on the bubble for the NIT because the committees consider the season as a whole, not just trends. Currently, we are the seventh team out of the NIT going purely by NET rankings that the committee uses. We've got to get this turned around now and Dayton is a great opportunity. They are loaded, but if we play the way we had been earlier in the season I truly believe we can compete with them.

We fought our way into receiving votes in the AP poll. Those will be gone this week, but a win over Dayton could get us right back where we were. Then the UMass game would be brought up as a bad loss that can be countered by a huge win like Dayton rather then the fourth subpar effort in a row. Every year there are teams that underachieve, but show up against top teams. I'd really rather not be an underachieving team; but if they are on the bubble the big win always gets brought up as a reason they shouldn't be left out because they could do it again in the tournament.

1/26/2020 9:30 pm  #64

The team has shown that they lack the sharp shooter that can pull them out of a hole. They must have the lead going into the last 10 minutes of a game or forget it, it’s a loss. Maceo and Lamar were the most likely candidates but neither has shown they can consistently create their own shots. I had thought that TDM would be the guy once he was moved to the bench. Naw, too many bad shots.  So that’s it, have an 8 to 12 point lead going into the last 10 minutes then turn up the defense. IMHO. Sutter, Petrarca, Stephenson, McCallister, Pipkins, Jackson, James all fit the bill but they’re long gone from the Bluff. Fingers crossed and Rosaries prayed for Wednesday.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/26/2020 9:49 pm  #65

One more thought. Been a Lakers fan since the 60’s. Kobe was the primo shooting guard. With the game on the line you wanted the ball in his hands. That’s what we need.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/27/2020 8:46 am  #66

Does anyone know why Michael Hughes wore 41 on Saturday? And I believe Sincere Carry was wearing 18 and not 10, but that could have been a wrinkle in the uniform. The 41 was real, though.

1/27/2020 11:59 am  #67

Where has James Ellis been?   Did whatever he do at St Joes get him removed from road trips?  Didnt see him on bench vs URI or Umass.  Maybe he chopped off the yellow hair and I didnt recognize him????

1/27/2020 1:04 pm  #68

Keith Dambrot has not forgotten how to coach. This team has talent needs that were hidden during the soft pre-conference schedule and which are now manifest during conference games. This is still a work in progress. Enjoy the ride. 

1/27/2020 1:23 pm  #69

March 29, 2017 - Cleveland.com:

“While it's easier to reach the NCAA Tournament in the Atlantic-10 than the MAC, it's much harder to win in the regular season. The talent level is higher, the programs stronger. Some of the players who helped him win big at Akron won't do the same at Duquesne.”
Pressurecooker,  I agree that he hasn’t forgotten how to coach.  I still have hope!  What is my concern is his lack of control of some of the players on the court.  His buddy Hugs would never put up with this.  On a side note, I have run into a number of people this week telling me they are going to the game.  As I got excited they told me they are all Dayton fans!!  I think we will be outnumbered.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (1/27/2020 1:29 pm)

1/27/2020 1:29 pm  #70

Given our history over the past 40 years, it's difficult to be optimistic regardless of our record, even with the great record we had entering Conference play this year. But starting Conference play with wins over St. Louis and Davidson gave me some hope that the record was not a mirage. What in the hell has happened since those games? All sports, and I think basketball especially, is affected by matchup dynamics. Does that explain the decline in results?

1/27/2020 3:19 pm  #71

Westender wrote:

Given our history over the past 40 years, it's difficult to be optimistic regardless of our record, even with the great record we had entering Conference play this year. But starting Conference play with wins over St. Louis and Davidson gave me some hope that the record was not a mirage. What in the hell has happened since those games? All sports, and I think basketball especially, is affected by matchup dynamics. Does that explain the decline in results?

In fairness, two bad losses against mediocre Conference USA teams (a second-half meltdown against UAB, a bad game from start to finish against Marshall) at the end of the non-conference schedule should have been a warning of what was to come in the A10 schedule. This team can be very good, has more potential than Keith's first two Duquesne teams, but won't be good every single game. If the 3s aren't falling, if the defensive intensity and resulting turnovers aren't there, it will struggle against even weak competition. We're seeing that now. Hopefully the tide shifts again and we're able to get some more big wins. But they're not good enough or deep enough to have much of a margin for error at this point. 

1/27/2020 9:02 pm  #72

Dare I say Eric Williams could have filled a huge hole, the go to guy. Im sure this will draw comments. And to add, Frankie Hughes could have added more depth n strength

1/27/2020 9:11 pm  #73

pressurecooker wrote:

Keith Dambrot has not forgotten how to coach. This team has talent needs that were hidden during the soft pre-conference schedule and which are now manifest during conference games. This is still a work in progress. Enjoy the ride. 

I do think there is a lack of athleticism in the front court, outside of Weathers, who is a little undersized, to compete with some of the more talented A10 front courts, but I do think that there is some coaching work that could be done on the offensive side of the ball, Hard to defend as well when you miss shots and they get in transition. If the Dukes don't hit their outside shots, and the opponent has decent size or scheme for the paint, the team seems a little lost. 

Also - hard to argue against coaching being at least part of the issue when the team was competitive the last two games, only to get blown out when the opposing coach had halftime to make adjustments.

1/27/2020 10:33 pm  #74

On paper, having EW at the 3 & sliding Maceo to the 2 makes this a much stronger team but, there is no telling how the team chemistry would have been. Even so, it is fun to speculate about what the inclusion of EW's length, scoring/3PT shooting, rebounding, & athleticism would yield. I have thought of this a few times since Lamar became a starter.

EW gone & Frankie as the 2 is also an interesting scenario but a bit less sexy.

1/27/2020 10:46 pm  #75

Norm Nixon..Aaron Jackson

Board footera