Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2020 12:20 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Dayton Flyers #7 (H)

Westender wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

And David put his hand into his bag and took from it a stone and slung it, and struck the Philistine on his forehead. And the stone sank into his forehead, so that he fell on his face to the ground.

Or if you're not into the bible verses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvTprAb_MaI

Call in the Reverend from Hickory. It helped them beat the big bad team from South Bend. Almost the same challenge.

And here's what the other preacher said: "With the God of heaven it is all one, to deliver with a great multitude or a small company. For the victory of battle standeth not in the multitude of a host but strength cometh from heaven."

Folks, we need everyone's prayers and someone to shoot like Jimmy Chitwood.

1/29/2020 12:26 pm  #27

Napa to you I say................Amen, Amen, Amen.....great points!  Go Dukes, an upset would be so sweet.

1/29/2020 12:34 pm  #28

Here's a little dose of reality from Zac Weiss:  https://twitter.com/ZacharyMWeiss/status/1222567379881857024

Why Dayton is the Hardest Team to Guard in the Country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT8ozvgKHEM&feature=emb_logo

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/29/2020 12:34 pm)

1/29/2020 2:26 pm  #29

Well, the bettors are laying some money on the Dukes.  The line opened with the Dukes as 9 point underdogs; that has been bet down to 8 points.
Straight up, a $100 bet on the Dukes returns $330 with a Duquesne victory.

1/29/2020 2:38 pm  #30

Had to step away last week out of frustration, between the 2nd half URI collapse and the UMASS folding. Need to be better all around to have a chance today. Not much else needs to be said. Surprised we are only 8 point underdogs at the moment.

Go Dukes!

1/29/2020 3:27 pm  #31

In the strange but true department, the last two times the Dukes played an A10 team that was ranked in the top 10 nationally, they won!

Feb. 27, 2014, 71-64 road win over then No. 10 St. Louis 
Feb. 7, 2009, 72-68 home win over then No. 9 Xavier

We ended a 19-game winning streak for St. Louis and an 11-game winning streak for Xavier. I realize this doesn't mean much for tonight except that upsets can happen. Go Dukes!

1/29/2020 3:35 pm  #32

DennisC91 wrote:

In the strange but true department, the last two times the Dukes played an A10 team that was ranked in the top 10 nationally, they won!

We ended a 19-game winning streak for St. Louis and an 11-game winning streak for Xavier. I realize this doesn't mean much for tonight except that upsets can happen. Go Dukes!

Dukes 3-1 underdogs on the money line. Not enough to call it a trend but enough to put a couple bucks down.

1/29/2020 3:44 pm  #33

townsonkid wrote:

This Dayton reminds me of the Lou Roe and Camby UMass team that came here back in 94?   They ran up and down the court, threw dunks down all over us, their little guys were quick as cats.   They scored over 100 I think.  Tonight wont be like that, we have a chance, but Dayton just reminds me of that team from back then.

Yes, the 94-95 season, 103-53 win for UMass at Palumbo, they were No. 1 in the country at the time. Yet they came back to Palumbo the following season, No. 1 once again, undefeated with six wins against ranked teams, and only beat the Dukes by four. 

1/29/2020 4:24 pm  #34

As of about 1:30, the Crew announced they had distributed 1250 student tickets, and they are assuming they will get close if not break the single-game attendance record (whether this is all-time or just RBC's founding in 2006 or some other date I do not know).

So the oft-criticized students will be in the house tonight. I hope you all will do your part as well.

Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/29/2020 4:37 pm  #35

We are going to need them because u know dayton will probably easily have that many or much more.

1/29/2020 6:13 pm  #36

DennisC91 wrote:

Also, Ron's team destroyed 8th rank Temple during the 11 game streak. It was 22-0 before Temple scored a point. The fans (and ref's ) where just speechless. Look it up. it's there.

1/29/2020 6:32 pm  #37

Look, we beat Pitt in the Ferry years, only because that Pitt coach sat his best player to show some disciple, (wrong move) they needed him and Ferry's team (that year) could not beat most HS teams that year.  If we upset Dayton this year, it will only be that KD keys in on the most obvious way,.in the paint. Punish Toppin for entering the paint. Then Lord knows, don't abandon what you are good at IN THE SECOND HALF! The R.I. game was ours in the first, didn't expect a KD run team to go just nuts in the second half?  Take Toppin out of the game, and man up on the rest. That would be how this team wins.  But if not, heck, not many teams have gone against Dayton with a good plan to win. We don't need to win this game to have a good season, but it sure as hell would get KD at least up to what Ron did here. Just hoping. Go Dukes.

1/29/2020 7:10 pm  #38

Does anyone know why Hughes isn't out there?

1/29/2020 7:51 pm  #39

More upset with dukes blunders than i am impressed with dayton.     20 mins.   We can do this.    Nice crowd.  Students need to get obnoxious tho.   In a good way.

1/29/2020 9:22 pm  #40

It feels good to be disappointed in a 4 point loss to one of the best teams in the country. I can't help but thinking what could have been if we didn't let the game get away from us early in the second half. We went away from what was working. Sure the 3 ball was part of what got us back into it, but it mostly was taking it right to them and scoring in the paint. Dayton is a great offensive team, but their mediocre defense is going to do them in against somebody. Unfortunately it wasn't us, at least not tonight.

1/29/2020 9:24 pm  #41

townsonkid wrote:

More upset with dukes blunders than i am impressed with dayton. 20 mins. We can do this. Nice crowd. Students need to get obnoxious tho. In a good way.

I would have loved to have been there, but couldn't go cross-state on a Wednesday. It looked and sounded like a great atmosphere though. That's what we need to really give our guys a home court advantage. Especially next year with the Coop opening, we need to bring it every time out.

1/29/2020 9:32 pm  #42

Dayton fans weren't really a factor, the big building swallowed them up. LaSalle is a must win. Lose that, and the wheels are off. After a very tough game at St. Louis, we host Bona, go to Fordham, and then host GW. We need to be 19-6 after that. 21-9 is within reach, and would leave the door to the NIT open going into Brooklyn.

1/29/2020 9:41 pm  #43

They fought like hell. We are a year away. Marcus Weathers is way past where he was last year. He is going to be one of the top 5 in the conference next year. They showed a ton of heart n yeah it sucks but i loved the guts

1/29/2020 9:55 pm  #44

The flashes this team has are blinding, but those 8 minutes of garbage cant exist anymore.   KD said as much postgame.   Did good things but some not good too.   Not there yet.   But with guts like that, we can still win 22+ games.    Beat piss out of LaSalle.

1/29/2020 10:06 pm  #45

townsonkid wrote:

The flashes this team has are blinding, but those 8 minutes of garbage cant exist anymore. KD said as much postgame. Did good things but some not good too. Not there yet. But with guts like that, we can still win 22+ games. Beat piss out of LaSalle.

KD built an inside team, but until he makes them play it 40 minutes, we just will not be there.

1/29/2020 10:07 pm  #46

They are inconsistent. Look at the shooting percentages. Free throw shooting has really gone down hill. Dayton didn't miss a foul shot
The Dukes i believe were 7 of 13.
Dayton misses 2 n the dukes hit 3 more n we win. Btw dayton's passing was a thing of beauty, them bastards

1/29/2020 10:18 pm  #47

1111 Vickroy wrote:

They are inconsistent. Look at the shooting percentages. Free throw shooting has really gone down hill. Dayton didn't miss a foul shot
Dayton misses 2 n the dukes hit 3 more n we win. Btw dayton's passing was a thing of beauty, them bastards

More than the last two bad losses, this was within our reach.  This Dukes team can get to post season, only if they play 40 minutes in the paint. KD didn't build this team to play anywhere else.

1/29/2020 11:04 pm  #48

NapaDuke wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

More than the last two bad losses, this was within our reach.  This Dukes team can get to post season, only if they play 40 minutes in the paint. KD didn't build this team to play anywhere else.

What really started clicking late in the second half was penetration either down the middle or along the baseline and then dishing it to either Hughes or Weathers cutting to the basket. Hopefully, we see more of this beginning Sunday.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

1/29/2020 11:16 pm  #49

1111 Vickroy wrote:

They showed a ton of heart n yeah it sucks but i loved the guts

No doubt about that. We saw the heart of this team a bunch of times last year. They were pushing on the broadcast how we've come back from double digits four times this year too, but I hadn't seen that same heart yet this season. There were a few moments that could have been daggers and I couldn't help but think here we go again. The Dukes never gave up though. Fighting back from down 19 against a great offensive team takes some serious cojones. Even if it came up short, you've gotta love to see that.

1/29/2020 11:53 pm  #50

Well, that's a wrap. If we win three more conference games, I'll be shocked. No postseason again.

Board footera