Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2020 10:24 pm  #1

Game Thread - La Salle Explorers

2:00pm EST tip on Saturday 02/02/2020 at the PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #93 (15-5; 5-3) vs La Salle Explorers #173 (10-10; 1-7)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 10, 71-61 - Dukes with 80% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 8½ point favorites; Over/Under 134½
Duquesne 9-11 Against the Spread; La Salle 13-7 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Saint Louis (88); Davidson (98); Indiana State (108)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): UAB (197); UMass (196); Marshall (161)
La Salle Best Win(s): Wright St. (110); Murray St. (143); South Alabama (166)
La Salle Worst Loss(es): UMass (196); George Mason (172)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at La Salle for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  Turnover % (314)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (91); Effective FG % (94)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate (301)

Here's a look at La Salle in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (1)
Offensive Weakness:  Turnover % (14); FT Rate (13); Effective FG % (11)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (3)
Defensive Weakness:  Effective FG % (14); FT Rate (14)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (62); Effective FG % (66)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (4) 
Offensive Weakness:  Turnover % (11)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (1); Effective FG % (3)   
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (14); Turnover % (11)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
La Salle Adj Offense Efficiency - 99.2, #232 in D-1; 92.3, #13 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 95.6, #67 in D-1; 97.2, #6 in A-10
La Salle Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.5, #111 in D-1; 105.5, #13 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.8, #160 in D-1; 99.2, #8 in A-10
La Salle Adj Tempo - 69.2, #127 in D-1; 69.1, #6 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.4, #228 in D-1; 66.3, #10 in A-10

Miscellaneous
Experience - La Salle 1.45 yrs, #258 in D-1; Dukes 1.43 yrs, #262 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - La Salle 49.9%, #155 in D-1; Dukes 55.4%, #113 in D-1
Average Height - La Salle 76.9", #169 in D-1; Dukes 76.0", #296 in D-1

2/01/2020 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - La Salle Explorers

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 97th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
La Salle is 197th in the country and a OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4673&tid2=4391&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/02/2020 10:04 am)

2/01/2020 10:30 pm  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 108th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
La Salle is 6th in the country and a 3 seed in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4673&tid2=4391&neut=0

Was this a test to see who is paying attention?😀

2/02/2020 9:21 am  #4

phil95 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 108th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.

I'm guessing it was left over from the Dayton game. If it was a test though Phoenix, we all look forward to these posts and watch them very closely. Thanks as always.

2/02/2020 10:07 am  #5

luckymcd wrote:

phil95 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I'm guessing it was left over from the Dayton game. If it was a test though Phoenix, we all look forward to these posts and watch them very closely. Thanks as always.

Nah, busted for a PUI - Posting under the Influence. Thanks, phil95 and luckymcd, for catching this (and it was leftover from the Dayton  game).

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/02/2020 10:08 am)

2/02/2020 10:42 am  #6

Needless to say, this is a must win game. We have 5 road games after this. Four of them will see us as substantial underdogs. Take care of business today, and I'll believe that we can steal one of those 4 tough road games, plus win the tough home games we have left, putting us in the NIT mix. Lose today, and I can see us losing all of those games, which would be a disaster after our strong start. Let's hope we're ready to play strong and smart, and put this game in the win column.

2/02/2020 1:34 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

Needless to say, this is a must win game. We have 5 road games after this. Four of them will see us as substantial underdogs. Take care of business today, and I'll believe that we can steal one of those 4 tough road games, plus win the tough home games we have left, putting us in the NIT mix. Lose today, and I can see us losing all of those games, which would be a disaster after our strong start. Let's hope we're ready to play strong and smart, and put this game in the win column.

Definitely a must win against an inferior team at our place. A win puts us in fourth place in the conference, a loss drops us to seventh. I think exactly what you described will get us into the NIT. Taking care of our home court, beating Fordham on the road, and finding another road win in a tough game will get us to 22-8. That should be good enough for an NIT bid. Or just take it all in Brooklyn and go to the Big Dance!

Today shouldn't be close, but I'm going to change my usual call and say it probably will be. The last three games have been a 1 point game, a triple overtime game, and a 7 point game that was tied at halftime. I think some home cooking will be the difference though. The home team has won the last five (except for one game in the conference tourney) and seven of the last eight. I'll call for a close game, but we pull it out in the second half and finish them off with free throws for a 74-66 Dukes win.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/02/2020 2:00 pm)

2/02/2020 2:01 pm  #8

For some reason I can't get to woman's board. They were up 10 with under a minute to go against unbeaten VCU and kept turning it over but a missed 3 at buzzer gave them a 3 point win.

2/02/2020 4:09 pm  #9

Transition game, Carry in the first half surprised them with pushing the ball. This Dukes team gives too much up in transition. Carry proved that in the first half. Three defenders back peddling, and not set and Carry time after time gets the points and the foul. Early in the season, no transition points. Smart move at the end trying to foul by Carry. Up by 3 need them to take two. Didn't work that way, but La Salle finally missed one. Once again, not having a real home court is making this Dukes team look bad. Next year, at home should be just hell for visitors. Still, this team is on track for 21 wins, and, so, hope for post season. We did dominate inside, but gave up too many pull up jumpers. But again, this La Salle  team is hungry for a win and played very aggressive traps down the stretch. It's a wonder their record just sucks.

2/02/2020 4:09 pm  #10

They were giving money away with LaSalle plus 10.

2/02/2020 4:36 pm  #11

Also, want to beat the trap, then practice the full court trap in practice each day and then use it, at anytime, in every game going forward. This Dukes team looks very unfamiliar with beating traps. Almost lost the game because of it.  Something very useful down the stretch. 

2/02/2020 4:54 pm  #12

NapaDuke wrote:

Transition game, Carry in the first half surprised them with pushing the ball. This Dukes team gives too much up in transition. Carry proved that in the first half. Three defenders back peddling, and not set and Carry time after time gets the points and the foul. Early in the season, no transition points. Smart move at the end trying to foul by Carry. Up by 3 need them to take two. Didn't work that way, but La Salle finally missed one. Once again, not having a real home court is making this Dukes team look bad. Next year, at home should be just hell for visitors. Still, this team is on track for 21 wins, and, so, hope for post season. We did dominate inside, but gave up too many pull up jumpers. But again, this La Salle  team is hungry for a win and played very aggressive traps down the stretch. It's a wonder their record just sucks.

Way too much crying on this board about no home court. We're 9-1 at home. If we played LaSalle at the Palestra instead of Gola, no one on this board would regard it as anything less than a LaSalle home game. People act like these are neutral court games. LaSalle still had to bus to Pittsburgh, stay in a hotel last night, and play in front of the other team's fans. It's a road game for them, and every other team that comes here. Would the home court advantage be better at Palumbo? Sure, but all of this crying is silly. The team is 9-1 at home, so it must not be hurting them too badly.

2/02/2020 4:58 pm  #13

Well a win is a win, but I get the feeling we're lucky the game isn't 45 minutes. The transition game was great in the first half. I think we wanted to slow the game down in the second half with the big lead. I didn't like that decision (if it was a conscious one) to go away from what was working so early.

The ball movement continued to start the second half at least. We were dominant in the paint and it led to some good looks from 3 that were falling for Norman and TDM. I was happy to see them handle the trap the first time LaSalle broke it out, but we looked lost after that.

I worry that we are pressing less than we had because of the lack of depth. That not only costs us in a lack of forced turnovers, but in being unprepared when we get pressed ourselves. If LaSalle hurt us that badly I'm terrified of what VCU can do to us.

I also worry Mike has a reputation among refs. He shouldn't have been complaining because I think a no-call was the right call on the missed dunk. It didn't like like he said anything though, and I don't think the raised arms is going to get a T very often on its own. He clearly isn't going to get much leeway with the refs, and we're lucky it didn't cost us more than it did. It's possible Rotroff could go from starting to not playing at all to starting in a three game stretch.

Since I'm in no danger of being T'd up I will say I thought the officiating was terrible. Two reviews both seemed pretty clear to me and both were overturned. Then they butchered the last call. Watching it live I'll admit I thought the foul on Sin was in the act of shooting. I jumped up shouting at the TV "what are you doing?" only to be shocked it was called on the floor. Then they showed the replay and I was thrilled to see they got it right. Then without reviewing it they overturned it to what on replay appeared to be the wrong call. Again, luckily it didn't cost us more than it did, but it shouldn't have come down to that.

One game after outrebounding Dayton we got killed on the glass by LaSalle. They got the rebound on nearly half of their misses (19 offensive boards for them, 22 defensive for us). We had some big offensive boards of our own, and when it mattered most Maceo closed out any hope they had, but we can't give up that many second chances.

Time off has been a bad thing for us so far this season, as rust has set in. I think we could really use some now though. Going to a tough place to play in St. Louis against a physical team in three days and then another tough game with St. Bonaventure three days later will be tough after all seven regulars played at least 24 minutes in this one. The week off before heading to NYC will be cherished, I just hope we can make it to the break without fading.

It's been a season of ups and downs. We're at 16-5 and right on the bubble for the NIT. Sadly the last two times we were in this situation we faded down the stretch and played in the CBI and no postseason. I was confident even with the loss to Dayton and liked the first half of this one. We've got to stick with what works though and find a way to get through the fatigue to make sure we don't fade again.

2/02/2020 5:03 pm  #14

Well, we won! On to St. Louis.  Go Dukes.

2/02/2020 5:11 pm  #15

Steele had a nice game.
Good to see Norman hit some 3's.
Coach said Rotroff was ill so they only went with 7.
Hopefully he's ready for St. Louis . That will be a physical game.
1 student in the " Student Section."........literally....... 1.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

2/02/2020 5:41 pm  #16

The 3-shot foul call was ridiculous. Sincere grabbed the guy before he ever raised the ball an inch. Shooting foul? The "shooter's" back was to the basket 25-plus feet from the rim. That would have been the most awkward shot ever seen.
Must say it was painful watching our guys struggle to inbound the ball and get it up the floor against the pressure. Lots of work needed there.

2/02/2020 5:49 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Way too much crying on this board about no home court. We're 9-1 at home. If we played LaSalle at the Palestra instead of Gola, no one on this board would regard it as anything less than a LaSalle home game. People act like these are neutral court games. LaSalle still had to bus to Pittsburgh, stay in a hotel last night, and play in front of the other team's fans. It's a road game for them, and every other team that comes here. Would the home court advantage be better at Palumbo? Sure, but all of this crying is silly. The team is 9-1 at home, so it must not be hurting them too badly.

We don't practice on any of these courts. We move from court to court. Our students do have to travel to see the games. But not practicing on that court each week makes every game a neutral court. No whining, just stating a fact that this team has had to endure more than their opponents this season, and it does make a difference, this game was closer than it should be.  And you answered your own question by saying would the advantage be better if at the Palumbo? 

2/02/2020 6:11 pm  #18

KD sounded spent in his interview with Ray. That is a first. These incomplete performances must be hell on him & his staff.

This team simply does not have the chops to slow it down with a lead. I don't think it has been beneficial once this season. Please, correct me if I am wrong here.
I get the idea that if they practice it more in games then they should, eventually, get better at it. I just can't take watching it because it is very Groundhog Day. It doesn't seem to matter if it is slowing things down to weather a storm of foul trouble or late-game clock management. Very troubling.

Smart play by Sin at the end. That call was botched. He did some really great things today. His 3-ball has been on vacation for 2 games. It is time to get that working again. When he is driving well & shooting even acceptably well, he is a beast. He gets many assists on teammates 3s. He is one of those passers that delivers on time, & in pocket to shooters. I am excited to see him set up Jett.

Having a big like Steele coming off the bench is the perfect example of what KD has done especially well. The conference season has been tough for him but he is still the best "back-up" center since Kieron & SJames were on the same team. He did good things today.

Maceo does encouraging things every game. His ability to limit freshman mistakes is just great. When he finds consistency from deep he is going to be feared by opponents. He does bunches of little things well & is committed to the defense. 

Of course, MHughes has a reputation with the refs. They neither wish to be upstaged by his antics nor be the official that failed to check him right before an opponent sucker-punchs him to start an ugly melee. Maybe he needs a handout that says, "A technical foul also counts as a personal foul. If you have too many personal fouls in a game, you aren't allowed to play anymore. That is bad for the team.".

Happy for the win & looking forward to playing at a much higher level against a much better opponent.

2/02/2020 6:16 pm  #19

1 student in the " Student Section."........literally....... 1.

Perhaps they are concerned about contracting coronavirus. The team is 16-5. Such low turnout sucks.

2/02/2020 6:21 pm  #20

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

We don't practice on any of these courts. We move from court to court. Our students do have to travel to see the games. But not practicing on that court each week makes every game a neutral court. No whining, just stating a fact that this team has had to endure more than their opponents this season, and it does make a difference, this game was closer than it should be.  And you answered your own question by saying would the advantage be better if at the Palumbo? 

We're 9-1 at home. END OF STORY! Good teams overcome small obstacles, and we have. We didn't practice often at the Arena when Red Manning was coach, yet we rarely lost there. If it was the huge, season wrecking disadvantage that some suggest, we'd have 5-6 home losses already. It's a minor obstacle, and we've handled it.

2/02/2020 6:39 pm  #21

I'm a little concerned that we had only 7 players that coach trusted to play  in a game against one of the bottom feeders in the conference. Rotroff may have been the 8th if not sick.

2/02/2020 8:07 pm  #22

WashPaRick wrote:

I'm a little concerned that we had only 7 players that coach trusted to play  in a game against one of the bottom feeders in the conference. Rotroff may have been the 8th if not sick.

Well, both TDM, and Norman played well, so there was no need to go to Miller, and without Rotroff, there are no other bigs besides Ellis, and KD hasn't shown any willingness to play him except in garbage time.

2/02/2020 8:13 pm  #23

OMG positive comments maybe CLK will reconsider his return as the #1 contributor to this board. MVP for this game was the priest who sat behind the bench. Great to see a collar Roman Catholic style on the bench at a Catholic Institution. Maybe I’m wrong but I have not seen a priest over the last 30 years. If I am incorrect in this observation Duq81 will no doubt correct me😂 I would love to know the padres name. As a long suffering Duquesne fan only an exorcism can stop the curse of Dudley Moore. Go Dukes.

2/02/2020 9:28 pm  #24

Sooner or later Hughes will get ejected, he’s getting worse with  barking at refs and players and the unnecessary arm gestures.    Rotroff and Ellis better be ready to play.

2/02/2020 9:32 pm  #25

Walter - I think you were looking where the students "used to sit."  They aren't in the end zone any more...they moved them over a section which is catercorner from the floor.  Now, there were under 100 which is sad, but there was more than 1.  It seems they show up for the BIG games (Dayton/PItt) and we don't ever win those and they don't come back.  I'm not making excuses for the lack of students at games, just providing some facts.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (2/02/2020 9:33 pm)

Board footera