Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2020 6:17 pm  #1

Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (A)

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 02/05/2020 at the Chaifetz Arena, Saint Louis, MO
Per KenPom:
Dukes #96 (16-5; 6-3) vs Saint Louis Billikens #86 (17-5; 6-3)
First Meeting: Dukes 73-59 (H)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 4, 67-63 - Dukes with 34% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 4½ point underdogs; Over/Under 130½
Duquesne 9-12 Against the Spread; Saint Louis 11-10 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Saint Louis (86); Davidson (90); Indiana State (107)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): UMass (202); UAB (176); Marshall (161)
Saint Louis Best Win(s): Richmond (60); Kansas St. (84); Belmont (111)
Saint Louis Worst Loss(es): Duquesne (96); Davidson (90)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Saint Louis for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (21); FT Rate (34)
Offensive Weakness: None
Defensive Strength: Effective FG % (43); Turnover % (94)
Defensive Weakness: FT Rate (266)

Here's a look at Saint Louis in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (2); FT Rate (2)
Defensive Strength: Turnover % (3); Offensive Rebound % (4)
Defensive Weakness: FT Rate (11)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength: Effective FG % (94)
Defensive Strength: Effective FG % (61); FT Rate (66)
Defensive Weakness: None

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength: None
Offensive Weakness: Turnover % (12)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (1); Effective FG % (3)
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (14)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Saint Louis Adj Offense Efficiency - 104.5, #146 in D-1; 98.9, #9 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 96.4, #70 in D-1; 97.9, #6 in A-10
Saint Louis Adj Defense Efficiency - 95.3, #62 in D-1; 96.1, #4 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 104.2, #155 in D-1; 100.1, #8 in A-10
Saint Louis Adj Tempo - 67.2, #229 in D-1; 67.2, #9 in A-10 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.2, #234 in D-1; 66.4, #10 in A-10

Miscellaneous
Experience - Saint Louis 1.30 yrs, #298 in D-1; Dukes 1.43 yrs, #261 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Saint Louis 37.0%, #256 in D-1; Dukes 55.3%, #114 in D-1
Average Height - Saint Louis 75.7", #322 in D-1; Dukes 76.0", #295 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/05/2020 9:58 am)

2/04/2020 6:19 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (A)

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 103rd in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
Saint Louis is 104th in the country and OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=301&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

2/04/2020 8:20 pm  #3

Their fan board has a lot of talk about how bad they played the last time, they know what to expect, and they are extremely confident about winning...at least by 4 points.

2/05/2020 7:33 am  #4

The Haslam preview is what scares me about this one. We're at our best when we're getting in the paint, whether it be driving or with entry passes. I fear that French will clean up inside and lead us to staying outside. Of course that means we could win by 20 if they're falling or lose by 20 if they aren't.

I'd expect a close defensive game, but home court has ruled this series (home teams have won 10 of the last 11). We've struggled on the road this year, underperforming in three of four. They're tough to beat at home (15 wins in their last 17 home games, only losses to top 15 teams). I'll say 64-60 St. Louis. I hope I'm wrong though. Go Dukes!

Last edited by luckymcd (2/05/2020 7:48 am)

2/05/2020 8:13 am  #5

Put your cash on SLU -5, and then buy your wife or girlfriend something special for Valetine's Day with the winnings.   
Saturday is more interesting to me, SBU game is at RMU.   Must win game.   Hughes will need to be at his best.

2/05/2020 8:23 am  #6

Obviously want a win but i agree about Saturday. St. B gave us fits last year. I remember their one big man had around 15 rebounds at palumbo in a low scoring slug fest

2/05/2020 9:08 am  #7

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Obviously want a win but i agree about Saturday. St. B gave us fits last year. I remember their one big man had around 15 rebounds at palumbo in a low scoring slug fest

Agree with the last two posts. We're playing with house money tonight, as this game's been marked down as a loss on most people's schedules. A win would offset the UMass loss, and put us back on track for an NIT bid, but a loss won't kill us. Bona is a must win though. We need to win the last four home games to have a shot at the NIT. If we do that, and steal one of the tough road games, we'll be a lock. We'd need to go 7-2 at the least, and then get on a roll in Brooklyn to have a chance at the NCAAs.

2/05/2020 9:14 am  #8

That dude had 20 rebounds, 22 I think vs us last year.   Obviously cant let that happen again.
I hope our guys get on a heater tonight and cant miss, but really will be an upset IMO to win out there.

Heard ding dong Dunlap on the hot air Fan this morning say if Dayton doesnt win the A10 tourney, someone will steal a bid from pitt.   I spit out my coffee.   Is he/they that out of touch with college basketball or just blatant pitt homers?

2/05/2020 9:25 am  #9

I think it’s pretty much the consensus that the Dukes are a  L. O.  N. G.  Shot to win.  LIke everyone else, I want them to win also, but from the last three weeks, we aren’t there as a team to beat a good team twice with the second game being on their home turf after we beat them the first time.   Hughes, don’t get another frickin’ technical.
Go Dukes!

2/05/2020 9:32 am  #10

Good read St. Louis dispatch on game. SLU plans to attack the Dukes. Travis Ford quoted as adjusting due to the failures in the first game in Pittsburgh. Hope Coach Dambrot can readjust to keep it close if not a road win. Go Dukes

2/05/2020 9:57 am  #11

Ironduke81 wrote:

Good read St. Louis dispatch on game. SLU plans to attack the Dukes. Travis Ford quoted as adjusting due to the failures in the first game in Pittsburgh. Hope Coach Dambrot can readjust to keep it close if not a road win. Go Dukes

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-opens-a--revenge-tour-with-duquesne-rematch/article_c228c2e7-b4a2-5c34-8dae-4c0846ce9339.html

2/05/2020 10:27 am  #12

Phoenix, I love your game previews, but St. Louis has a very clear and significant offensive weakness: they're dead-last in the NCAA in free-throw percentage!

2/05/2020 10:50 am  #13

Its going to get chippy n the Dukes have to hold their ground. Recall the brutal pick Baylee Steele laid on one of their players near mid-court.

2/05/2020 11:03 am  #14

Thats also a reason to get Ellis and Rotroff in there tonight, let them hack French all night, and dont foul and give up an and-1 either.   Make them make 2 from the line.   When they likely dont, we in that trip down the court.

2/05/2020 12:27 pm  #15

DennisC91 wrote:

Phoenix, I love your game previews, but St. Louis has a very clear and significant offensive weakness: they're dead-last in the NCAA in free-throw percentage!

That is absolutely true, DennisC91.  It might be the single area that is holding Saint Louis back from a top 4 A10 finish.
BTW, those raw stats (3PT%, 2PT%, FT%, MidRange, etc.) are included in the Haslametrics Automated game preview that is linked.

2/05/2020 3:51 pm  #16

1111 Vickroy good observation I have a sense this game may be very physical. I would not be surprised if Mike Hughes gets a T tonight. Play hard but keep your composure Dukes.

2/05/2020 5:59 pm  #17

townsonkid wrote:

Thats also a reason to get Ellis and Rotroff in there tonight, let them hack French all night, and dont foul and give up an and-1 either.   Make them make 2 from the line.   When they likely dont, we in that trip down the court.

An excellent point about hacking the St Louie bigs. I was surprised we didn't use that strategy during the last home game with them. Hell, I'd have all semi-used bench players lined-up to come into play for that purpose (Note: that is tongue-in-cheek) But I do believe townsonkid has a legitimate point about fouling their big(s). It would certainly help level their home-court advantage.

2/05/2020 7:58 pm  #18

I'm nervously hopeful at halftime!!! No repeat of Rhody please .

2/05/2020 8:09 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

I'm nervously hopeful at halftime!!! No repeat of Rhody please .

Rhody was 1st thing on my mind at the half. Keep feeding Weathers until they stop it.

2/05/2020 8:09 pm  #20

St Louis coach complains because Dukes shot 15 free throws to their 10 in the first half. Seemed like a well-officiated half, but the home team coach wants something better.

2/05/2020 8:31 pm  #21

Fought off 2 runs by SLU. Hope they don't have another one in them.

2/05/2020 8:44 pm  #22

I think it's a mistake not hacking French.

2/05/2020 9:02 pm  #23

Lots of pessimism here pre-game. Didn't want to counter due to superstition. Now that it's decided, I hope nobody bet St Louis and gave away 5 points.

What a great win!

2/05/2020 9:04 pm  #24

Biggest win in years!!! The NIT is in play again. Got to beat Bona. It won't be easy.

2/05/2020 9:06 pm  #25

OMG! Who woulda thunk it. Excellent job of coaching.  Let’s beat the Bonnies.
Marcus was a beast.

Board footera