Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2020 9:07 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (A)

Way to finish. I'm going to check the SLU board as it's usually really entertaining.

2/05/2020 9:13 pm  #27

Great win. The best game from start to end all season. Marcus was great but nice to see good games from everyone who played today.

I'm debating if this makes up for the UMass loss or if it makes me more upset because we could/should be in a better position to make the post season had we won that game.

2/05/2020 9:16 pm  #28

WashPaRick wrote:

Way to finish. I'm going to check the SLU board as it's usually really entertaining.

The refs gave us the game !  LOL!!

2/05/2020 9:18 pm  #29

I listened closely to Coach's comments after the La Salle game and without coming out and saying it directly, I had the impression that he thought we matched up well with St. Louis. In his interview tonight he said that if you out rebound them (I think we did by 10), most nights they are going to lose. He has confidence in his big men inside. Now we have to handle St. Bona, who is always well coached and who always gives us a good game. 

2/05/2020 9:23 pm  #30

Loved the use of the additional bench guys tonight, helped manage Hughes’ foul trouble effectively. Gibbs defended well, Rotroff is continuing to look like he’s building confidence, and same regarding Buckley. I would run a couple plays for him a game to get him a set shot, he will knock some down. He also defended well. I hope they continue to get more minutes, it helps the team in so many ways.

Dominant performance from Weathers offensively, he makes so many tough and contested shots. Hughes, Weathers, and Steele were all very strong on the block and on the boards tonight. While French is athletic and physical he is limited offensively and is most of their post presence. We bullied them at home and wasn’t surprised it went the same way tonight.

Carry played great and hit some huge threes in the first half. Play of the game for me was late in the second half when Hughes threw it up, Steele got the board, kicked it to Carry who pumped and got his man in the air. Hit Austin top of the key for a good look, who hit Norman on the wing for a great one, and he drained it. That was a thing of beauty.

I liked this matchup a lot for the Dukes this year, especially after the first game. They can’t shoot threes, they can’t shoot free throws, and their strength is the post game and defense. I think we are better and have more depth than them in both areas. On top of that we are really good at the FT line and I figured if we could knock down some threes that and free throws could be the advantage, just like last time.

Bet you negative Nancy’s wouldn’t believe I took Dukes on the money line. 81’ you still may be selling this squad short with the NIT talk. A different result against UMASS and I think the tone would be much more optimistic!

Great game, excited for Saturday.

Go Dukes!!!

2/05/2020 9:25 pm  #31

Now i remember why i rarely bet.   But its worth it!!   Great great GREAT WIN!!!!

2/05/2020 9:27 pm  #32

S.R.M. wrote:

Great win. The best game from start to end all season. Marcus was great but nice to see good games from everyone who played today.

I'm debating if this makes up for the UMass loss or if it makes me more upset because we could/should be in a better position to make the post season had we won that game.

Totally agree with all of this.

2/05/2020 9:29 pm  #33

Duques102 wrote:

Loved the use of the additional bench guys tonight, helped manage Hughes’ foul trouble effectively. Gibbs defended well, Rotroff is continuing to look like he’s building confidence, and same regarding Buckley. I would run a couple plays for him a game to get him a set shot, he will knock some down. He also defended well. I hope they continue to get more minutes, it helps the team in so many ways.

Dominant performance from Weathers offensively, he makes so many tough and contested shots. Hughes, Weathers, and Steele were all very strong on the block and on the boards tonight. While French is athletic and physical he is limited offensively and is most of their post presence. We bullied them at home and wasn’t surprised it went the same way tonight.

Carry played great and hit some huge threes in the first half. Play of the game for me was late in the second half when Hughes threw it up, Steele got the board, kicked it to Carry who pumped and got his man in the air. Hit Austin top of the key for a good look, who hit Norman on the wing for a great one, and he drained it. That was a thing of beauty.

I liked this matchup a lot for the Dukes this year, especially after the first game. They can’t shoot threes, they can’t shoot free throws, and their strength is the post game and defense. I think we are better and have more depth than them in both areas. On top of that we are really good at the FT line and I figured if we could knock down some threes that and free throws could be the advantage, just like last time.

Bet you negative Nancy’s wouldn’t believe I took Dukes on the money line. 81’ you still may be selling this squad short with the NIT talk. A different result against UMASS and I think the tone would be much more optimistic!

Go Dukes!!!

They'll need to go no worse than 7-1 down the stretch to have a chance going into Brooklyn. With road games at Dayton, VCU, and Bona, that's a tough row to hoe. I'm worried about the home game with Bona. They've owned us lately. Who do they think they are, Bobby Mo? Got to put them in their place. If we win Saturday, I think we win up there too. If we lose, they'll smack us in Olean.

2/05/2020 9:33 pm  #34

Beat SLU by 14 both games.

2/05/2020 9:36 pm  #35

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Go Dukes!!!

They'll need to go no worse than 7-1 down the stretch to have a chance going into Brooklyn. With road games at Dayton, VCU, and Bona, that's a tough row to hoe. I'm worried about the home game with Bona. They've owned us lately. Who do they think they are, Bobby Mo? Got to put them in their place. If we win Saturday, I think we win up there too. If we lose, they'll smack us in Olean.

I have felt that when we play like we did tonight (basically our best), we can beat anyone in the league, home or in the road. The Dayton game did nothing but make me feel stronger about that. I don’t expect us to win at UD arena, but I think we have a legit shot in every other matchup. Not saying I think it will happen, but it’s not entirely crazy to say it could. Hopefully bringing some more guys into the game action helps spark a run down the stretch.

2/05/2020 9:39 pm  #36

Attitude is EVERYTHING!  Dukes played tough tonight!  Big win and Marcus is the man!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/05/2020 9:46 pm  #37

Outstanding effort!

Shot well  from 2/3/FT and whipped them on the boards.

Good to see the deeper bench steal some minutes and keep is afloat when regular rotation platers needed a seat. Thought Buckley was better than what one would see in his box score line. Steele did a nice job tonight as well.

Beyond the amazing game by Marcus, Sin was not only hot from three, but had 8 assists to zero turnovers. Winning basketball. Michael did a little bit of everything out there and was right there with Marcus and Sin for player of the game.

Travis Ford, Dan McLaughlin and SLU's arrogant fans can claim it was a ref loss all they want. They got whupped in their own house and lost both games by 14. Looking forward to their excuse this time around.

Looking forward to Saturday and hope we can fill UPMC Event Center. Certainly the Dayton game had a great atmosphere in PPG but a good crowd with the seats on top of the floor like UPMC can make it feel like the Bona game two years ago, just hope the result turns out the Dukes way this time. 

Last edited by Brian (2/05/2020 9:47 pm)

2/05/2020 9:48 pm  #38

I only got to watch the second half but I sure liked what I saw. Time to go back & watch the first!

I was happiest to see KD not take the air out of the ball too early & the execution, (for the most part) when they did milk the clock.

2/05/2020 9:48 pm  #39

Duques102 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Go Dukes!!!

I have felt that when we play like we did tonight (basically our best), we can beat anyone in the league, home or in the road. The Dayton game did nothing but make me feel stronger about that. I don’t expect us to win at UD arena, but I think we have a legit shot in every other matchup. Not saying I think it will happen, but it’s not entirely crazy to say it could. Hopefully bringing some more guys into the game action helps spark a run down the stretch.

Well, pretty much every team in the top 100 is capable of beating just about any team if they bring their A-game, and the other team doesn't, so you're pretty much on point there. It's just hard to be perfect every game, and there are going to be nights when a team like Bona, or VCU is going to be clicking, and just run you over, even if you're not playing poorly. This is especially true in the age of the 3 pointer. Sometimes a team can just get red hot from 3, even against solid defense, and it's just more than you can overcome. Let's hope we don't run into one of those teams. Kinda hope SLU doesn't fall apart. If they can finish in the top 75 of NET, this becomes a Q1 win.

2/05/2020 9:58 pm  #40

I would agree with those saying this was the best game of the year so far. On the road, in a tough place to play, against a team tied with us in the standings, and we not only win, but beat them at their own game and do it by 14. Great game for Marcus, Sin ran the show and knocked down some big threes, Steele played his most physical game yet against a team we really needed it, Buckley with his most meaningful minutes yet, Mike didn't look great, but the stat sheet sure does (11 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 steals, 3 blocks).

It was a total team effort. Nobody played with any fear. We took it right to them and were in control the whole time. The unselfish play making the extra pass was great, but my favorite play of the game was when the SLU guard drove in and both Mike and Marcus were there for the block. I don't know who ultimately got credit for it, but they both would have had it.

We played 5 guys as 1 unit on both sides of the floor, something we haven't done in awhile. Unselfish play offensively, looking for the guy with a better shot even if you have a good one. We got out in transition again, which was clearly something they weren't expecting from us. We worked it into the paint even against a physical defensive team. The hustle was great on defense, and again we played with no fear against a big, physical team in their place. We not only outrebounded them, but pulled down more offensive boards against one of the best offensive rebounding teams around. If we play like this we can play with anyone we'll see the rest of the way. Let's keep it going!

2/05/2020 10:03 pm  #41

Just tremendous win.Everybody was marching in step,and all the great performances.Just blown away.

2/06/2020 7:30 am  #42

I”m sure one of you brilliant stats folks will answer this...

When was the last time we beat St. Bonaventure?
Go Dukes!

2/06/2020 7:44 am  #43

Weathers must be closing in on 1,000 pts. I think he should be in the 950 range and should be hitting it in 3 or 4 games. If my math is up to snuff.

2/06/2020 8:11 am  #44

FAM wrote:

Go Dukes!

January 16, 2016 95-88 led by Colter and Mason at Palumbo.
Bonnies have ran off 7 straight victories since them.

2/06/2020 8:14 am  #45

FAM wrote:

Go Dukes!

We haven't beaten them since 1/16/16 at home. What makes it especially frustrating is four of those seven were by four or less and only one was by more than seven. It would be different if they just blew us out; then you'd just say they have our number. Every game is competitive, they just find a way to pull it out in the end. Going back even further we're 2-13 against them in the last eight years. Six of those losses were by four or less and only three were by more than eight. We haven't beaten them at their place since 1/10/09.

WashPaRick wrote:

Weathers must be closing in on 1,000 pts. I think he should be in the 950 range and should be hitting it in 3 or 4 games. If my math is up to snuff.

I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. He's got 951 for his career. He's averaging 11 per game for his career, 15 a game this season, and 19 a game in the last five. If he keeps the hot streak going he could go over 1,000 at home against GW. Otherwise, he could do it in a big road win over Dayton or St. Bonaventure. What will be really big is when he goes over 1,000 for his Duquesne career sometime next season.

2/06/2020 8:18 am  #46

WashPaRick wrote:

Marcus has scored 641 as a Duke in his 53 games so far. He scored 310 at Miami of Ohio in 32 games. 951 for his 85 game college basketball career.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/06/2020 8:19 am)

2/06/2020 9:02 am  #47

2/06/2020 9:35 am  #48

Getting some love from Paul Biancardi at ESPN:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1225270732827000833

2/06/2020 10:05 am  #49

His tweet was posted at 11:11, just sayin'

2/06/2020 10:22 am  #50

luckymcd wrote:

FAM wrote:

Go Dukes!

We haven't beaten them since 1/16/16 at home. What makes it especially frustrating is four of those seven were by four or less and only one was by more than seven. It would be different if they just blew us out; then you'd just say they have our number. Every game is competitive, they just find a way to pull it out in the end. Going back even further we're 2-13 against them in the last eight years. Six of those losses were by four or less and only three were by more than eight. We haven't beaten them at their place since 1/10/09.

WashPaRick wrote:

I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. He's got 951 for his career. He's averaging 11 per game for his career, 15 a game this season, and 19 a game in the last five. If he keeps the hot streak going he could go over 1,000 at home against GW. Otherwise, he could do it in a big road win over Dayton or St. Bonaventure. What will be really big is when he goes over 1,000 for his Duquesne career sometime next season.

Remember, they were the ones who ended the 11 game winning streak. It's been a Bobby Mo level of domination. Time to put a stop to it!!!

Board footera