Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2020 10:39 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (A)

Fairly accurate report. Dukes rpi improved from 88 to 56 last night. Great job by the coaching staff and the team. I like seeing the coach use more players. I thought at the beginning of the season that the bench was deeper than what we were seeing as the season was progressing.  Now, let's get those Bonnies!

2/06/2020 11:43 am  #52

Great coverage by the St. Louis paper; I agree that the article was accurate and well-written by Stu Durando.  A lot of nice action photos as well.  Wouldn’t it be nice to get that kind of coverage in Pittsburgh?

2/06/2020 1:24 pm  #53

levon1975 wrote:

Great coverage by the St. Louis paper; I agree that the article was accurate and well-written by Stu Durando. A lot of nice action photos as well. Wouldn’t it be nice to get that kind of coverage in Pittsburgh?

What are you talking about levon1975? Not being smart with you, just stating a fact. The Dukes have been getting great coverage from the newspapers/websites this season. Are you not looking at those websites? PG, Trib, PSN... and some of the TVs show up, too. There aren't very many, if any, news outlets who travel with teams much anymore.

2/06/2020 2:47 pm  #54

Crosseye wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Great coverage by the St. Louis paper; I agree that the article was accurate and well-written by Stu Durando. A lot of nice action photos as well. Wouldn’t it be nice to get that kind of coverage in Pittsburgh?

What are you talking about levon1975? Not being smart with you, just stating a fact. The Dukes have been getting great coverage from the newspapers/websites this season. Are you not looking at those websites? PG, Trib, PSN... and some of the TVs show up, too. There aren't very many, if any, news outlets who travel with teams much anymore.

That's true lately, but I think he meant over the long haul, still I am glad the coverage recently this season  has picked up.

2/06/2020 3:10 pm  #55

I was mainly complementing the game coverage in the St. Louis paper.  The web coverage by PSN has been consistent all season, and I have no problem with them. I also pick up anything on Twitter.  My point is that the depth of the game story was far superior to what we have seen locally, especially in the Daily newpapers.  Far too many games get only token coverage from the wire services in the PG.  Early in the season the Dukes were nonexistent as far as coverage in the either local daily.  Winning has helped, certainly in both cases, but I would say their coverage has been very inconsistent. 

2/06/2020 3:27 pm  #56

Not to sound discouraging about the Bonnies, but they're 14-2 when Osunniyi plays. The two losses: season-opening loss to Ohio U. He left with a knee injury (bone bruise) and only played 11 minutes. Would miss the next four games, three of them losses. He was limited by foul trouble to 17 minutes in a late-December loss at Buffalo, eventually fouling out. Caught an elbow to the head in a mid-January win over UMass and missed the next three games, including blowout road losses to VCU and Dayton and a home loss to URI. So they're 14-0 if he plays at least 18 minutes in a game, 1-8 otherwise (the one win their best of the season, against Rutgers in Toronto). On the plus side, they haven't really beaten anyone otherwise.

2/06/2020 4:59 pm  #57

DennisC91 wrote:

Not to sound discouraging about the Bonnies, but they're 14-2 when Osunniyi plays. The two losses: season-opening loss to Ohio U. He left with a knee injury (bone bruise) and only played 11 minutes. Would miss the next four games, three of them losses. He was limited by foul trouble to 17 minutes in a late-December loss at Buffalo, eventually fouling out. Caught an elbow to the head in a mid-January win over UMass and missed the next three games, including blowout road losses to VCU and Dayton and a home loss to URI. So they're 14-0 if he plays at least 18 minutes in a game, 1-8 otherwise (the one win their best of the season, against Rutgers in Toronto). On the plus side, they haven't really beaten anyone otherwise.

Ossunnyi is a player that need not put up huge numbers of any kind to dominate the game defensively. While he is a formidable shot blocker, he is also an outstanding help & recover player as well. 

Two things of interest in predicting his effectiveness against the Dukes are his tendency toward foul trouble & the fact that he hasn't played against any of the good league teams this season. He has truly feasted on the boards & blocking shots against lesser competition. Maybe he isn't ready for 3 better than competent bigs?

I think it is telling that the Bonnies have only beaten A-10 teams currently in 9th-13th places. The teams they have beaten have a combined conference record of 11-45. In their favor, they are much better at comfortably dispatching the dregs of the conference than our squad.

This is the most confident that I have been going into a home game against SBU in a loooong time. I think this is a win.

I'm all for SLU losing to Dayton on Saturday & then running the table.

Somebody asked if beating St. Louis on the road makes up for losing to UMass. Not for me. To be very happy with the season I need the Dukes to win the next 3 + GMU + find 2 wins out of @SBU, VCU, UD, & Richmond. Last night's performance doesn't heal old wounds, it raises the bar on expectations.

Last edited by phil95 (2/06/2020 5:00 pm)

2/06/2020 5:07 pm  #58

DennisC91 wrote:

This is kind of why I liked the St. Louis matchup so much and why I like this matchup as well. I am more scared of the VCUs, URIs, and Dayton from the standpoint that similar to us, they have deep teams with talent up and down the roster, and any number of guys can have a big game on a nightly basis.

I think between Hughes, Weathers, Steele and Now Rotroff, we should be able to keep him relatively in check. Those 4 should be going right up into him on offense as well to draw fouls and if that happens, we should win the game. A team with a lights out guard would scare me more as the strength of our team is also in the post (depth wise). We should have the bodies to keep him in check.

They also have a pretty decent guard no? Wanna see minutes continue for Buckley, Rotroff, and Gibbs in defensive situations (he cannot shoot at all). Makes us 10 deep. I looked at their box scores and it looks like they only go 8 deep in close games.

Key on Osunniyi and play offense like last night, and this should be a W at home.

2/06/2020 5:24 pm  #59

Duques102 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

This is kind of why I liked the St. Louis matchup so much and why I like this matchup as well. I am more scared of the VCUs, URIs, and Dayton from the standpoint that similar to us, they have deep teams with talent up and down the roster, and any number of guys can have a big game on a nightly basis.

I think between Hughes, Weathers, Steele and Now Rotroff, we should be able to keep him relatively in check. Those 4 should be going right up into him on offense as well to draw fouls and if that happens, we should win the game. A team with a lights out guard would scare me more as the strength of our team is also in the post (depth wise). We should have the bodies to keep him in check.

They also have a pretty decent guard no? Wanna see minutes continue for Buckley, Rotroff, and Gibbs in defensive situations (he cannot shoot at all). Makes us 10 deep. I looked at their box scores and it looks like they only go 8 deep in close games.

Key on Osunniyi and play offense like last night, and this should be a W at home.

Lofton is a heck of a young lead guard. He is a sophomore & occasionally lays an egg ala Sin but, he is usually good & sometimes great. His defense is never better than good.

2/06/2020 5:27 pm  #60

phil95 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Lofton is a heck of a young lead guard. He is a sophomore & occasionally lays an egg ala Sin but, he is usually good & sometimes great. His defense is never better than good.

Lofton yes! Thanks forgot his name. He is a very good player but I’d still take Sin over him, how about you Phil?

2/06/2020 6:40 pm  #61

I'm more concerned with Osunniyi's rebounding and defense. That was the difference last year in the game at Palumbo. He had 22 rebounds (11 on the offensive glass) and 6 blocks. We lost despite holding them under 30% from the field, 12% from 3-point range. They blew our doors off in the rematch at Olean with Carry on the shelf. Of course last year's team didn't have this year's version of Marcus Weathers. And if Osunniyi keys on him, other guys are going to have to pick up the slack. Getting him in early foul trouble would help, worked wonders against French last night. 

2/06/2020 6:58 pm  #62

Duques102 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

We don't have anyone named Gibbs on the team.

2/06/2020 7:31 pm  #63

duq81 wrote:

Not on the playing roster at least. He used up his eligibility about ten years ago. I wouldn’t mind seeing his cousin turn into a younger version of him though.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/06/2020 7:39 pm)

2/06/2020 7:51 pm  #64

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Haha whoops you know who I meant!

2/06/2020 7:57 pm  #65

Sin is the better overall player because of his dedication to defense. I would take him every time. This is particularly true this season because Lofton's shooting numbers from 3 are in the high 20s & Sin's are still hanging above 36%

2/06/2020 8:31 pm  #66

I have been meaning to say how impressive it is that both Maceo & Hughes have positive A/TO ratios. It is not often that you can say that about your center & freshman SF.

Also, I keep forgetting how well this team has done keeping opponents to a low 3pt field goal percentage.

2/06/2020 8:49 pm  #67

phil95 wrote:

Sin is the better overall player because of his dedication to defense. I would take him every time. This is particularly true this season because Lofton's shooting numbers from 3 are in the high 20s & Sin's are still hanging above 36%

Right on I expect Sin to give him fits on Saturday. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen Sin get the one handed shove off the ball from the guys he’s guarding as he stays tight on his man throughout most possessions.

It would be cool to see the stats of big time guards vs Carry and how they did against the rest of the teams that player played.

Last edited by Duques102 (2/06/2020 8:50 pm)

2/06/2020 9:01 pm  #68

Watched the game 2nd time objectively not as a fan first time. Lamar Norman played a great game.I always knew he had offensive skills but his defense at times was lacking. Against SLU he stuck his nose in a scrub got every loose ball. Kudos for the kid. Linebacker mentality. Great job Coach Dambrot. Austin & Norman have great potential. Maybe Coach Dambrot could send these two young men to WVU  to hit the weights build muscle mass. Please hire a strength coach strictly for the men’s basketball team & maybe football team. Dave time to take this program to the big boy league.coach Dambrot great job. SLU goes matchup zone Dambrot goes high low Steele Weathers. SLU had no answer. Coaching👌

Board footera