Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2020 3:45 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (H)

DennisC91 wrote:

I completely understand the frustration in losing a game like this and I understand that our modest success has got folks a bit more emotionally invested in this team than they otherwise would be. But there are things that seem to be coming into focus at this point of the season:

- We are a good team with flaws that the better teams in the A10 can and will exploit.
- We have a solid MAC roster which makes us middle of the pack in the A10.
- While we can and should improve, the rest of the conference won't stand pat. 

Saturday's loss didn't scuttle our season no more than last week's impressive win at St. Louis made us an NCAA tourney team. I'll be going to the Fordham game Sunday to cheer on the Dukes to what I hope--and think--will be a solid road win. Another step to getting better, but still a long way to go.

I think most here are looking to do a bit better than last year. The 11 wins, and one in Brooklyn you mentioned would be the ticket. What most don't want to see is the same record as last year, especially after our hot start. We want to be able to continue to sell that we're improving. This helps sell the program to both recruits, and to fans who are not alums, or Duquesne die hards. Yes, we'll be returning our starting 5 next year, but so will Bona, SLU, and Richmond. Overall, the league is not getting hit that hard by graduation. If we don't show we can hang this year, what will make next year any better? We have a history of collapsing down the stretch, and it makes the fans nervous. We were 15-7 in 2016, and ended up 17-17. No one wants to see a repeat of that.

2/10/2020 3:54 pm  #52

I think the defensive plan against the Dukes' has begun to circulate the conference: jam the hoop and make the Dukes beat you from outside. Simple idea, our best scorers can't get near the rim, and they also can't consistently get to the inside to rebound. Our outside shooting is not dependable (or let's say streaky). IMHO, this game plan contributes to making us uncomfortable and out of sync for extended minutes during a game. An oversimplification on my part? Hell, yes. What are your thoughts? (and be kind).

2/10/2020 5:37 pm  #53

As stated earlier, Steele had 15 points in far less time than both Michael and Marcus.  He wasn’t banged up and out scored them both put together.

Marcus has been carrying us and deserved the break. We got killed inside because he forced Marcus to run on bad pins.

KD didn’t ride the effective player.  That’s the difference in that game.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/10/2020 5:59 pm  #54

Crosseye wrote:

Judging from a lot of comments here, you'd think people just started paying attention to this program and don't understand the futility that has been Duquesne basketball for what seems like forever. It's hard to believe that some can't actually enjoy what's going on. Past Duquesne teams would have played this St. Bona team and suffered an embarrassing loss. As it is, this team is ultra-competitive most nights out and continues to build a foundation for a solid program down the road. What's with all the negativism? Yeah, I know. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But that isn't what I'm asking. What exactly are you guys/gals expecting beyond what is happening? I can't imagine anyone on this board expected this kind of success. To read the thoughts here, you'd think we're discussing Duke. Or Gonzaga. Think about this, and forget about St. Bonaventure for a minute: Duquesne just went into St. Louis and dominated a team (twice now in fact) that almost went into Dayton and won a game. Oh, wait, Duquesne almost beat Dayton, too. You know, Dayton, ranked in the top 10? So what exactly are we to expect more from this Duquesne team this year? I expect more wins. But I don't expect to hammer them when they can't get it done, barely, like Saturday when they scored 80 points and almost won a game they'd have lost by 30 in most years past  Apologize for the rant. Realize I'm open game for criticism for this post, so I understand any backlash. Have at it. I gave my opinion, too, though. I choose not to pick at things with this team unless they truly deserve it. And they've done some boneheaded things this year. But who hasn't? I feel the best is yet to come under coach Dambrot. Can anyone say Top 25? It's coming.

Dambrot has made tremendous strides to get to this point. He'd be the first to tell you we still aren't where we need to be, but personally I have enjoyed this season. What gets frustrating is the inconsistency. If we play at our best I feel like we could be a top 25 program already. The problem is when we aren't at our best we can lose to mediocre teams. The players seem to forget what got them to where they are sometimes, which of course falls on coaching. Dambrot has always been a defense first coach, yet we've seen bad defensive lapses. We have the strength inside to be a good rebounding team, but have been destroyed on the glass repeatedly. We have guards who can drive strong to the hoop and big men who can score effectively inside, but frequently shoot contested 3s early in the shot clock. As someone who has been a Duquesne fan for 20 years, the highs of this team have been thrilling, but the lows have been exasperating. If this team is going to reach its potential, they need to be much more consistent. 

2/10/2020 7:08 pm  #55

luckymcd wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

Judging from a lot of comments here, you'd think people just started paying attention to this program and don't understand the futility that has been Duquesne basketball for what seems like forever. It's hard to believe that some can't actually enjoy what's going on. Past Duquesne teams would have played this St. Bona team and suffered an embarrassing loss. As it is, this team is ultra-competitive most nights out and continues to build a foundation for a solid program down the road. What's with all the negativism? Yeah, I know. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But that isn't what I'm asking. What exactly are you guys/gals expecting beyond what is happening? I can't imagine anyone on this board expected this kind of success. To read the thoughts here, you'd think we're discussing Duke. Or Gonzaga. Think about this, and forget about St. Bonaventure for a minute: Duquesne just went into St. Louis and dominated a team (twice now in fact) that almost went into Dayton and won a game. Oh, wait, Duquesne almost beat Dayton, too. You know, Dayton, ranked in the top 10? So what exactly are we to expect more from this Duquesne team this year? I expect more wins. But I don't expect to hammer them when they can't get it done, barely, like Saturday when they scored 80 points and almost won a game they'd have lost by 30 in most years past  Apologize for the rant. Realize I'm open game for criticism for this post, so I understand any backlash. Have at it. I gave my opinion, too, though. I choose not to pick at things with this team unless they truly deserve it. And they've done some boneheaded things this year. But who hasn't? I feel the best is yet to come under coach Dambrot. Can anyone say Top 25? It's coming.

Dambrot has made tremendous strides to get to this point. He'd be the first to tell you we still aren't where we need to be, but personally I have enjoyed this season. What gets frustrating is the inconsistency. If we play at our best I feel like we could be a top 25 program already. The problem is when we aren't at our best we can lose to mediocre teams. The players seem to forget what got them to where they are sometimes, which of course falls on coaching. Dambrot has always been a defense first coach, yet we've seen bad defensive lapses. We have the strength inside to be a good rebounding team, but have been destroyed on the glass repeatedly. We have guards who can drive strong to the hoop and big men who can score effectively inside, but frequently shoot contested 3s early in the shot clock. As someone who has been a Duquesne fan for 20 years, the highs of this team have been thrilling, but the lows have been exasperating. If this team is going to reach its potential, they need to be much more consistent. 

Very well spoken. This past game is a great example. Both, we were there, with the best, and if we drove to the hoop, we probably would have won. Both, we are in the mix, but, if we had  stay in the paint, we would have won?  Most of us have watched College BB for 50 years, and Ron got us close, and this team is damn near there. This past game came down to percentage play, but we just didn't play it?  Three point shooting with 1 plus minutes left, is a low percentage shot. Driving to the hoop, is high percent late in the game, and cripples your opponent for fouling. We should have won this game. The last 1.3 minutes ran in favor of SB, not us and the Dukes did it. Good news, going forward, (I hope) drive the paint late in the game, get them to foul out or let you go to the hoop. This game was ours to win, in-side, not shooting quick, low percentage 3 pointers.  Inside was about 80 percent late in the game, outside was less than 30 percent.  Just saying. We are nearly there, but we have to take advantage of what we really have on the court.    

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/10/2020 7:08 pm)

2/10/2020 8:02 pm  #56

coffee wrote:

As stated earlier, Steele had 15 points in far less time than both Michael and Marcus. He wasn’t banged up and out scored them both put together.

Marcus has been carrying us and deserved the break. We got killed inside because he forced Marcus to run on bad pins.

KD didn’t ride the effective player. That’s the difference in that game.

Maybe he'd have been in there if he'd have decided to grab a few boards. That's often the problem. A player will shine in one area, but be dismal in another.

2/10/2020 8:16 pm  #57

duq81 - your point is well taken.  He is a nice addition, BUT, I can't remember a guy that physically big who gets out muscled on the boards, and sadly, having guys smaller than him pull the ball out from his hands.  I don't understand it.

2/10/2020 9:39 pm  #58

FAM wrote:

duq81 - your point is well taken.  He is a nice addition, BUT, I can't remember a guy that physically big who gets out muscled on the boards, and sadly, having guys smaller than him pull the ball out from his hands.  I don't understand it.

Dennis made a good point when he said we have the roster of a good MAC team. Our best players were recruited to play in the MAC. A good MAC team can beat A10 teams, but usually aren't quite good enough to finish at the top of our league. Next year is a crucial season as far as seeing how far KD can get us. We'll be one of the most veteran teams in the country. Will that be enough to reach the NCAAs? Also, next fall's recruiting class will be crucial, as we will be losing 3 key players at the end of next year. He'll really need to bring in a strong class to prevent us from falling back into the lower regions of the league. Third, will Harris be ready to play from day one, or is he another project big? Speaking of project bigs, will any of the 3 currently on the roster (Rotroff, Kelly, and Ellis), be ready to contribute at a decent level next year? We'll desperately need solid play from at least one of them. Not to mention being able to count on them in 2022 after Hughes and Weathers are gone.

2/11/2020 9:21 am  #59

duq81 wrote:

I think most here are looking to do a bit better than last year. The 11 wins, and one in Brooklyn you mentioned would be the ticket. What most don't want to see is the same record as last year, especially after our hot start. We want to be able to continue to sell that we're improving. This helps sell the program to both recruits, and to fans who are not alums, or Duquesne die hards. Yes, we'll be returning our starting 5 next year, but so will Bona, SLU, and Richmond. Overall, the league is not getting hit that hard by graduation. If we don't show we can hang this year, what will make next year any better? We have a history of collapsing down the stretch, and it makes the fans nervous. We were 15-7 in 2016, and ended up 17-17. No one wants to see a repeat of that.

I was hoping for 14-4 in conference, at least one win in Brooklyn and an NCAA bid. That's no longer realistic. But beat last year's conference record and get a win in Brooklyn and that's progress over last year. Falling short of that would indeed be a major disappointment.

So how do we make more progress next year? What luckymcd said about being more consistent from game to game. Some of that should come naturally with this group together for another year. But I'm looking at three kids who have a lot of room for improvement: Austin, Norman and Rotroff. I think we know what we'll get from everyone else but the development of those three (assuming they all return) will say a lot about how far we can go next year and beyond. Now if Jett Roesing is the second coming of Pistol Pete, then I'm sure we'll be fine. But I don't put too much stock in true freshmen, not the kind that we can get anyway. Let's wait to see if he can get separation from A10 guards and play defense at this level. I suspect he'll be a work in progress for both. 

2/11/2020 9:29 am  #60

I agree with the MAC-A10 comments in the above posts. The Bonaventure game showed clearly that, even though much improved inside, the Dukes still are rather undersized. Going into the season, it seemed that the team would have forward-center depth with Hughes, Weathers, Rotroff, Kelly and Ellis. That hasn't been the case. The Dukes still have a hard time with a forecourt featuring someone as big as Osunniyi. I think Rotroff and Kelly will develop and help in years to come, but a 6-11 member is needed next year. They still need to get bigger.

2/11/2020 9:34 am  #61

From what I've been hearing, Kelly has gotten bigger and apparently stronger. I believe he is a key to helping shore up our rebounding struggles.

2/11/2020 10:42 am  #62

apluski wrote:

I think the defensive plan against the Dukes' has begun to circulate the conference: jam the hoop and make the Dukes beat you from outside. Simple idea, our best scorers can't get near the rim, and they also can't consistently get to the inside to rebound. Our outside shooting is not dependable (or let's say streaky). IMHO, this game plan contributes to making us uncomfortable and out of sync for extended minutes during a game. An oversimplification on my part? Hell, yes. What are your thoughts? (and be kind).

Are you suggesting we recruit a sharp-shooter at the No. 2 guard? Hmmmmmmmmm

2/11/2020 10:58 am  #63

rittersdiner wrote:

apluski wrote:

Are you suggesting we recruit a sharp-shooter at the No. 2 guard? Hmmmmmmmmm

We signed a guy who can't miss from 3. The question is can he defend well enough to see the floor.

2/11/2020 1:06 pm  #64

I think what we are saying here is can Dambrot up his recruiting?  When Schmidt left Robert Morris he went from the NEC to the A10...from a small city school to one in the tundra.  He upped his recruiting, has gotten to the NCAA's twice, the NIT, etc.

Can Dambrot make the recruiting changes necessary.  I may not like St. Bonny and the complainer coach but he has gotten the job done.  

2/11/2020 2:37 pm  #65

FAM wrote:

I think what we are saying here is can Dambrot up his recruiting?  When Schmidt left Robert Morris he went from the NEC to the A10...from a small city school to one in the tundra.  He upped his recruiting, has gotten to the NCAA's twice, the NIT, etc.

Can Dambrot make the recruiting changes necessary.  I may not like St. Bonny and the complainer coach but he has gotten the job done.  

Schmidt also has been there 13 years.. His record wasn't too swift at the start. I don't doubt Dambrot has the stones to make things happen in due time. Akron isn't Robert Morris. He won a lot of games in Ohio.

Schmidt's record:
RMU
2001-02 12-18
2002-03 10-17
2003-04 14-15
2004-05 14-15
2005-06 15-14
2006-07 17-11
St. Bonaventure
2007-08 8-22
2008-09 15-15
2009-10 15-16
2010-11 16-15
2011-12 20-12
2012-13 14-15
2013-14 18-15
2014-15 18-13
2015-16 22-9
2016-17 20-12
2017-18 26-8
2018-19 18-16
2019-20 16-8

2/11/2020 5:04 pm  #66

Crosseye wrote:

From what I've been hearing, Kelly has gotten bigger and apparently stronger. I believe he is a key to helping shore up our rebounding struggles.

I have high hopes for Kelly next year; just hope he is fully recovered and hasn’t lost his athleticism to the knee injury.  He will be a major player next year if all goes well with his recovery.

2/11/2020 7:12 pm  #67

Crosseye wrote:

FAM wrote:

Schmidt also has been there 13 years.. His record wasn't too swift at the start. I don't doubt Dambrot has the stones to make things happen in due time. Akron isn't Robert Morris. He won a lot of games in Ohio.

Schmidt's record:
RMU
2001-02 12-18
2002-03 10-17
2003-04 14-15
2004-05 14-15
2005-06 15-14
2006-07 17-11
St. Bonaventure
2007-08 8-22
2008-09 15-15
2009-10 15-16
2010-11 16-15
2011-12 20-12
2012-13 14-15
2013-14 18-15
2014-15 18-13
2015-16 22-9
2016-17 20-12
2017-18 26-8
2018-19 18-16
2019-20 16-8

Seeing these records all in a row is enlightening. I have always thought of him as having been more successful than this.

The welding certificate/University President scandal destroyed their recruiting for nearly 5 years. In the aftermath, they hired a coach that was guaranteed both not to bring more infamy & to pile up the losses. Solomon was/is a great guy but, he was one of the few unblemished candidates that would say yes at the time.

I am impressed that after having taken over a Ferry-level mess caused by a national controversy he has had a winning record in 11 of 13 seasons.

Plus, he owns us.

2/11/2020 7:21 pm  #68

phil95 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

FAM wrote:

Schmidt's record:
RMU
2001-02 12-18
2002-03 10-17
2003-04 14-15
2004-05 14-15
2005-06 15-14
2006-07 17-11
St. Bonaventure
2007-08 8-22
2008-09 15-15
2009-10 15-16
2010-11 16-15
2011-12 20-12
2012-13 14-15
2013-14 18-15
2014-15 18-13
2015-16 22-9
2016-17 20-12
2017-18 26-8
2018-19 18-16
2019-20 16-8

Seeing these records all in a row is enlightening. I have always thought of him as having been more successful than this.

The welding certificate/University President scandal destroyed their recruiting for nearly 5 years. In the aftermath, they hired a coach that was guaranteed both not to bring more infamy & to pile up the losses. Solomon was/is a great guy but, he was one of the few unblemished candidates that would say yes at the time.

I am impressed that after having taken over a Ferry-level mess caused by a national controversy he has had a winning record in 11 of 13 seasons.

Plus, he owns us.

I think you understate it a bit by calling it a Ferry level mess. I'd call it a Nee level mess, or to be more recent, a Kevin Stallings level mess. Beating out Ron for Andrew Nicholson was the key. If Nicholson comes here, we probably make the NCAAs twice, and Schmidt probably gets fired at Bona.

2/12/2020 6:59 pm  #69

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

Schmidt's record:
RMU
2001-02 12-18
2002-03 10-17
2003-04 14-15
2004-05 14-15
2005-06 15-14
2006-07 17-11
St. Bonaventure
2007-08 8-22
2008-09 15-15
2009-10 15-16
2010-11 16-15
2011-12 20-12
2012-13 14-15
2013-14 18-15
2014-15 18-13
2015-16 22-9
2016-17 20-12
2017-18 26-8
2018-19 18-16
2019-20 16-8

Plus, he owns us.

I think you understate it a bit by calling it a Ferry level mess. I'd call it a Nee level mess, or to be more recent, a Kevin Stallings level mess. Beating out Ron for Andrew Nicholson was the key. If Nicholson comes here, we probably make the NCAAs twice, and Schmidt probably gets fired at Bona.

Very true. Ron just could not get a real Big in here, except Sean James. Ron ran with guards and small forwards because, he recruited the best players he could get, and every year his best were guards, and he picked up too many project "Bigs" . So Ron had a very fast short running team, and could not stand in the paint. Dambroth, is in the paint, with real Bigs, both this year and next.  Out side, and transition, and full court press is not in this years Dukes (But should be). If this Dukes team play half court, every game, not like this BS we just watched against SB, they should have picked up 3 or 4 more wins. Nicholson is the only reason SB had an NCAA run, not Schmidt.

2/12/2020 11:23 pm  #70

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Plus, he owns us.

Very true. Ron just could not get a real Big in here, except Sean James. Ron ran with guards and small forwards because, he recruited the best players he could get, and every year his best were guards, and he picked up too many project "Bigs" . So Ron had a very fast short running team, and could not stand in the paint. Dambroth, is in the paint, with real Bigs, both this year and next.  Out side, and transition, and full court press is not in this years Dukes (But should be). If this Dukes team play half court, every game, not like this BS we just watched against SB, they should have picked up 3 or 4 more wins. Nicholson is the only reason SB had an NCAA run, not Schmidt.

Nicholson was a fantastic A-10 player that had much to do with that coach's & program's rising from the ashes. but, with him, the Bonnies never finished above 3rd in the league. Their average finish with him was below 7th. He graduated in 2012.

In 15-16 they won the A-10 regular season, finished in the top 30 for RPI, Schmidt was COY, & they were considered one of the biggest snubs in NCAA selection history while getting a ton of national press for their trouble. I think the school & the A-10 filed some kind of protest as a result.

In 16-17 they had the same record as Nicholson's senior year.

Schmidt's best & most successful team was in 2017-18 when they set the all-time school record for wins & won a tournament game as an 11 seed.

This will likely be the 5th consecutive year without Nicholson that they will finish in the A-10's top 5. 

Schmidt has actually done better without him because the program has reloaded nearly every year. Schmidt isn't Coach K but, he deserves a ton of props for maintaining & later exceeding the standards of the Nicholson years. He's had plenty to with 2 NCAA runs.

2/12/2020 11:42 pm  #71

phil95 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Nicholson was a fantastic A-10 player that had much to do with that coach's & program's rising from the ashes. but, with him, the Bonnies never finished above 3rd in the league. Their average finish with him was below 7th. He graduated in 2012.

In 15-16 they won the A-10 regular season, finished in the top 30 for RPI, Schmidt was COY, & they were considered one of the biggest snubs in NCAA selection history while getting a ton of national press for their trouble. I think the school & the A-10 filed some kind of protest as a result.

In 16-17 they had the same record as Nicholson's senior year.

Schmidt's best & most successful team was in 2017-18 when they set the all-time school record for wins & won a tournament game as an 11 seed.

This will likely be the 5th consecutive year without Nicholson that they will finish in the A-10's top 5. 

Schmidt has actually done better without him because the program has reloaded nearly every year. Schmidt isn't Coach K but, he deserves a ton of props for maintaining & later exceeding the standards of the Nicholson years. He's had plenty to with 2 NCAA runs.

Nicholson bought him the time he needed to get things rolling. Without him, those are likely all losing seasons his first 5-6 years, and they'd have let him go. Sometimes the 10 year plan actually works (see Penn St.), but you have to at least sprinkle in a decent year or two while you're on the way to keep the fans believing. This is where Ferry failed. He had his chance 4 years ago when the team was 15-7, and enjoying some good pub after the blizzard. The negativity had died down, and all we really needed to do was win half of the 8 games we had left. He won one, and his fate was sealed.

2/13/2020 9:45 am  #72

This board is about to jump the shark without the contribution & comments from CLK. Same people blah blah blah.

2/13/2020 11:50 am  #73

Ironduke81 wrote:

This board is about to jump the shark without the contribution & comments from CLK. Same people blah blah blah.

Why are you here then?

2/13/2020 1:18 pm  #74

Of course you would comment.The facts are that CLK posted & provided recruiting news in regard to this program. If he said the earth is round guaranteed someone would say it’s flat. CLK very positive about the current program. Hopefully he comes back to this board.

2/13/2020 2:42 pm  #75

I doubt CLK or El Duque “left the board”.  I did not either but nobody knows me because I only post if there is something interesting to talk about.  I don’t see much here that moves me to comment 95% of the time but I read for that 5%.  Scheduling, recruiting, and such are the most enjoyable for me but that’s just me.  All this X and O stuff and megastats wears me out.  As long as people enjoy that, fine.  I have been going to games since 1966 and I feel the pain as much as any of you.  However, stubborn though I am about this, every game brings new hope and reason to support

Board footera