Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2020 3:13 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (H)

Ironduke81 wrote:

Of course you would comment.The facts are that CLK posted & provided recruiting news in regard to this program. If he said the earth is round guaranteed someone would say it’s flat. CLK very positive about the current program. Hopefully he comes back to this board.

CLK has been here since Denny Conroy set up the original board over 20 years ago. When Denny was shamefully abused, and finally run off of his own board by a poster who thought diatribes against Brian Colleary should be the only topic permitted, CLK took the wheel and kept it going. We then moved to Voy, and when their format was no longer viable, I set up the current board. I personally don't believe we should have one of those prissy boards where no criticism, or posters who are fans of other teams are allowed. No profanity, politics, or personal attacks should be the rules. If you disagree with a post, don't get mad, debate. I guess I must spend too much time on Steeler message boards. There, when you post an opinion, it's usually going to be challenged, and you better be ready to defend it. No one gets mad, or is offended because because someone goes against what they think. I can't understand those that think the board should be a cheerleading section. Of course this is my OPINION, feel free to disagree.

2/13/2020 3:46 pm  #77

kcc173 wrote:

I doubt CLK or El Duque “left the board”. I did not either but nobody knows me because I only post if there is something interesting to talk about. I don’t see much here that moves me to comment 95% of the time but I read for that 5%. Scheduling, recruiting, and such are the most enjoyable for me but that’s just me. All this X and O stuff and megastats wears me out. As long as people enjoy that, fine. I have been going to games since 1966 and I feel the pain as much as any of you. However, stubborn though I am about this, every game brings new hope and reason to support

kcc, excellent post! Everyone who comes here may be looking for something different. The guys who post the odds and related info do a lot of work to get that information. I'm glad you acknowledge that it's not for you without disparaging it. Recruiting is important, and I personally appreciate CLK's posts there. There are some that are hardcore "recruitniks", and some that don't get too excited about it, preferring to wait and see the players when they get here. There should be room for both.

2/13/2020 6:57 pm  #78

I am not gone from this Board.  I just felt I needed to take a break from the negativity.  We are 17-6 and having one of the best seasons since I was at DU 50 years ago.  I am enjoying the season and don’t need to hear “fans” saying to put your money on the other team before the game, or catastrophizing over losses, or ripping players.  If that’s your thing have at it.  I believe in this coach and players. Unlike the Steelers, these kids are student athletes not professionals.  They don’t deserve the harsh criticism that some seem to dole out at times.  They do deserve better fans that support them, and don’t quit on them.  If my comments  makes me a cheerleader, all I can say is “Go Dukes”! 

2/14/2020 7:36 pm  #79

CLK wrote:

I am not gone from this Board.  I just felt I needed to take a break from the negativity.  We are 17-6 and having one of the best seasons since I was at DU 50 years ago.  I am enjoying the season and don’t need to hear “fans” saying to put your money on the other team before the game, or catastrophizing over losses, or ripping players.  If that’s your thing have at it.  I believe in this coach and players. Unlike the Steelers, these kids are student athletes not professionals.  They don’t deserve the harsh criticism that some seem to dole out at times.  They do deserve better fans that support them, and don’t quit on them.  If my comments  makes me a cheerleader, all I can say is “Go Dukes”! 

Hey, we, in one way or other are cheerleaders. I agree, some on the board are stats experts, some are game time observers, like Monday quarterbacks, and some really get into who is likely to stay and who is in the recruiting field.  It's all OK.  It's a blog.  I like your insights, and most do.  I, myself, get into the game, and what and were we just played. Some do, some don't.  But your right, this team is in the mix.  KD can take this team into the tourney and jump a few teams and get there.  I really think this team is that kind of team.  Keep posting. We all like to debate everyone's views. Nice post.

2/14/2020 9:17 pm  #80

CLK wrote:

The board wouldn't be the same without you. I feel the same way about criticizing players. I'd be lying if I say I never do it, but I try to reserve it mostly for the coaches, who are adults and getting paid for it. If you read all my comments you might think I don't like Dambrot, but that is far from the truth. He's doing a great job and I'm not sure there's another coach in the country I'd rather have at Duquesne. When the team doesn't play up to its potential, someone has to take the blame, and I think it should mostly fall on him though. I also have to agree about the talk of who will or should be next to transfer or suggesting to bet against the Dukes (it's especially sweet when that bet doesn't pay out). Perhaps an ignore poster feature should be added to the board to weed out those you really don't want to hear, but keep the valued posters around.

2/14/2020 10:03 pm  #81

I just watched Bonaventure lose to Davidson in Olean by 29.  Shots a plenty by the Bonnies clanging off the rim.  If they had played that way against the Dukes, we would have beat them by double figures.  

2/14/2020 10:13 pm  #82

luckymcd wrote:

CLK wrote:

The board wouldn't be the same without you. I feel the same way about criticizing players. I'd be lying if I say I never do it, but I try to reserve it mostly for the coaches, who are adults and getting paid for it. If you read all my comments you might think I don't like Dambrot, but that is far from the truth. He's doing a great job and I'm not sure there's another coach in the country I'd rather have at Duquesne. When the team doesn't play up to its potential, someone has to take the blame, and I think it should mostly fall on him though. I also have to agree about the talk of who will or should be next to transfer or suggesting to bet against the Dukes (it's especially sweet when that bet doesn't pay out). Perhaps an ignore poster feature should be added to the board to weed out those you really don't want to hear, but keep the valued posters around.

I think there's a difference between critiquing players, and criticizing them. Despite us old men seeing them as kids, they're not kids, but young men, the same age as many of our MEN in the military. They can take their performance being critiqued. If a player is 1-10 from 3, it shouldn't be verboten to discuss whether it was an off night, or if maybe he's not a guy who should be taking 10 3s. What should be verboten are the "he sucks", "he's a scrub", "KD needs to glue him to the bench", "I hope he transfers" type stuff. We don't need that. Bad behavior is a different story though. If a player commits a crime, or some other serious offense, "get that bum out of here", is totally acceptable in my book.

By the way, one week after playing a nearly perfect game against us, Bona got obliterated tonight in Olean by Davidson.

2/15/2020 12:37 am  #83

indygjm wrote:

I just watched Bonaventure lose to Davidson in Olean by 29.  Shots a plenty by the Bonnies clanging off the rim.  If they had played that way against the Dukes, we would have beat them by double figures.  

For the love of just one shot and a rim-out on their side, these Dukes would be in third place and just nipping at the second place spot?  That close.

2/15/2020 8:00 am  #84

NapaDuke wrote:

indygjm wrote:

For the love of just one shot and a rim-out on their side, these Dukes would be in third place and just nipping at the second place spot?  That close.

Tends to even out over a season though. Indiana St., and Fordham could just as easily have been losses. You win some of those, and you lose some. I think our record accurately reflects who we are.

2/15/2020 9:52 am  #85

indygjm I also just watched that game and couldn’t believe it was the same teams we watched during their respective appearances here this year. I’m afraid that Davidson is going to be a really tough out going forward.
This would make a good end of year discussion point and I’m certainly not pointing fingers at the Dukes. I think you do have the question if teams are quitting, some of the scores in games have been crazy. Good teams being beaten by 20+ margins make no sense to me.

2/15/2020 10:46 am  #86

The Dome wrote:

indygjm I also just watched that game and couldn’t believe it was the same teams we watched during their respective appearances here this year. I’m afraid that Davidson is going to be a really tough out going forward.
This would make a good end of year discussion point and I’m certainly not pointing fingers at the Dukes. I think you do have the question if teams are quitting, some of the scores in games have been crazy. Good teams being beaten by 20+ margins make no sense to me.

Davidson has dominated Bona, and the posters on the Bona board think it's a question of matchups. They feel that the way Davidson runs their offense is tailor made to exploit Bona's defense. Davidson is Bona's kryptonite, just like Bona, Richmond, and Bobby Mo have been our's

Board footera