Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2020 7:06 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (A)

Out Sick

2/16/2020 7:22 pm  #27

Westender wrote:

Good thing they were playing Fordham. They need a lot of work at beating pressure closing out tight games.

Should have put that game away with six point lead and less than one minute. Missed free throw and then a five second penalty, trying to inbound, after Fordham hit a three, instead of calling time out.

Hey, as I have said, this is about the fifth game like this that would have been a loss under Ferry

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/16/2020 7:54 pm  #28

• 18-6 is DU's its best record since 1971-72 (19-5)
• This is the 3rd time in 43 seasons that DU has at least eight wins in 12 A-10 games (1981 & 2011 the others).
• DU has tied the school record for A-10 road wins (4) done four times (2019 last).

https://twitter.com/duqmbb/status/1229157785025335297?s=21

2/16/2020 8:09 pm  #29

Austin was sick.

2/17/2020 12:27 am  #30

Seems to me that other A10 teams looking at the tapes of  this game could see that Fordham has a ticket to stopping the Dukes from penetrating the paint.   If they can do the same, then the pressure on the Dukes to shoot from the 3 point, is gonna a be greater and they better figure out how to do one or the other -- or both...

2/17/2020 2:55 am  #31

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

2/17/2020 12:51 pm  #32

Got to see the Dukes in person for the first time this year. Wasn't pretty but at the end of the day we got a similar result that Richmond and Bonaventure got at Rose Hill in the last few weeks. Fordham's not easy to play against. They're very active on D and they swarm to the ball whenever it gets anywhere near the paint. Easiest way to counter that is to kick it back out for an open 3. We got plenty of open 3s, just didn't make enough. Compare that to Davidson, which made a staggering 30 3s on 69 attempts in their two wins against Fordham vs. 17-57 for us. Naturally, they had a much easier time with Fordham than we did.

We had some success making quick passes to the open guy in the paint when the swarm came but all in all, I don't think we were very comfortable or confident against their defense until the last 4 or 5 minutes of the game. Way too many long 3s after throwing it around the perimeter and not attempting to penetrate, but turnovers will do that to you.

Dukes played a really strong defensive game. Fordham isn't a total slouch. Portley and Perry are nice players, Cobb and Colon are very quick. Soriano's a monster and should be a really good A10 big by his junior and senior years if he sticks around. 

All in all, a pretty miserable place staffed by miserable people but we've won five straight there. 

Maceo was on the bench in street clothes and slip-on moccasins that could have passed for bedroom slippers. He didn't look well, but seemed to perk up a bit by the end of the game.

2/17/2020 3:22 pm  #33

Nice win Dukes & Coach Dambrot. BUT....At crunch time when Fordham was fouling to get the Dukes on the line for the front end of a 1 on 1 WHY was TDM taking the ball out with no ability to run the sideline. Huge mistake by the coaching staff. Secondly, why Lamar taking ball in under hoop instead of Weathers? Coach Dambrot 400 wins & counting. Very good coach. But the great coaches don’t make these mistakes. The all time great coaches in all sports are chess players 3 to 4 moves ahead of their counterparts who are for the most part below to average IQ. COACH DAMBROT is at 2 moves ahead of the game. Get to the third level  & get to 500 career  wins. Go Dukes.

2/17/2020 5:22 pm  #34

The last minute could have been managed better than it was. Didn't cost them but it was way more interesting than it needed to be. Norman was indeed a curious choice for that inbounds play. A taller and/or more experienced player would have been a better fit. Not only that but Lamar's the second-best FT shooter on the team, 84.6% to TDM's 86.4. I would have thought he'd be the second option to receive the inbounds pass, not the guy trying to inbound the ball. Anyone have any insights to coach's thinking there?

2/17/2020 5:22 pm  #35

Ironduke81 wrote:

Nice win Dukes & Coach Dambrot. BUT....At crunch time when Fordham was fouling to get the Dukes on the line for the front end of a 1 on 1 WHY was TDM taking the ball out with no ability to run the sideline. Huge mistake by the coaching staff. Secondly, why Lamar taking ball in under hoop instead of Weathers? Coach Dambrot 400 wins & counting. Very good coach. But the great coaches don’t make these mistakes. The all time great coaches in all sports are chess players 3 to 4 moves ahead of their counterparts who are for the most part below to average IQ. COACH DAMBROT is at 2 moves ahead of the game. Get to the third level  & get to 500 career  wins. Go Dukes.

I liked this gritty road win because despite shooting poorly, missing Maceo, committing too many turnovers, & having the post game mostly taken away, I felt that the Dukes looked energized & confident for the last 35 minutes of the game.

The defense, last 30 minutes of rebounding, & FT shooting were almost perfect to win a choppy game against a desperate opponent in their house.

Sin has been a strong lead guard over the last 3 games. Marcus got a bunch of good work done even though his scoring had been taken away. I just know that if Lamar works the system, he will string together 3-4 strong games & then blossom.

Mike Hughes gets homered out of multiple blocks virtually every road game. This one was really bad.

I wanted to go all positive with this post but I must second IronDuke81 on his 2 late game observances. Those are coaching blunders. The 5 second call is particularly grievous.

Finally, when then low post offense is stymied & the deep shots are not falling against a team that wants to play slow, I don't understand the reluctance push a bit more and/or get post-ups from the secondary break.

2/17/2020 6:02 pm  #36

As I recall, the Dukes struggled with in bounds play against LAS.
I assume that KD has the team practice the play but Fordham had 
film and devised a scheme to disrupt the play.
KD may have used Norman to in bound because, as a guard, Norman
could execute the play better-see the open man and make the proper pass.
If the big is quick enough pass back to Norman who is a very good foul shooter.

2/17/2020 6:33 pm  #37

DennisC91 wrote:

Norman was indeed a curious choice for that inbounds play. A taller and/or more experienced player would have been a better fit. Not only that but Lamar's the second-best FT shooter on the team, 84.6% to TDM's 86.4. I would have thought he'd be the second option to receive the inbounds pass, not the guy trying to inbound the ball. Anyone have any insights to coach's thinking there?

I'd assume he was more worried about getting the ball inbounds safely than who would be taking the shots. Obviously there are priorities to who shoots, but better to have a good shooter safely pass in to a less accurate shooter than have a bigger or worse shooter pass into a great shooter and have it stolen.

phil95 wrote:

Mike Hughes gets homered out of multiple blocks virtually every road game. This one was really bad.

I have to agree with this one. I was shocked to get home and see Hughes' stat line. I even worked out a stat based on his block output (when he doesn't get them we aren't good). Then I watched the broadcast and saw at least two blocks that were clearly Hughes' that must have been credited to other guys. That kind of killed the stat, because the breaking point for team success based on Hughes' blocks is 2. If he gets 2 we are really tough to beat. 1 or 0 and we usually struggle.

2/17/2020 6:45 pm  #38

For those who are interested in the stat though (if there are any), Duquesne is 25-7 when Hughes gets 2 or more blocks according to the official scorebook. Furthermore, only 6 of those wins have been by 5 or less. The Dukes are just 11-8 when Hughes gets less than 2 blocks and 7 of those wins were by 5 or less.

2/17/2020 7:12 pm  #39

The officials turn some of Hughes' clean blocks into fouls.  But the score keepers also miss lots of blocks by Mike and the other guys.  In fact, I saw Norman block a shot two games in a row, and neither found its way into the box score.

2/17/2020 9:14 pm  #40

applecorps wrote:

The officials turn some of Hughes' clean blocks into fouls. But the score keepers also miss lots of blocks by Mike and the other guys. In fact, I saw Norman block a shot two games in a row, and neither found its way into the box score.

I can definitely understand what you're saying about the fouls, but neither was called a foul yesterday. The first was in the first few minutes of the game, the second was in the final 30 or so seconds of the game. Both times Hughes clearly blocked the ball out of bounds and Fordham was correctly given possession under the hoop. Both times there was another defender in the area (if I remember correctly Steele on the first, Weathers on the second). I'm guessing the scorer gave the blocks to the other defender both times.

While we're on the subject though, I thought yesterday was Steele's most physical game of the season. The early missed threes were exasperating, but he defended well most of the game and rebounded well for the most part. He has such a big frame, and looks to be pretty strong too, but hasn't taken advantage of that size much this season. He did it more so yesterday than I remember seeing in any other game and hopefully that continues.

2/18/2020 10:10 am  #41

OK, thanks, luckymcd and Econ69 for weighing in on the choice of Norman to inbound. I watched it again on my DVR. Initially Hughes took the ball, then, perhaps on directions from the bench, he called Norman over to take it. I thought the other players on the court (Carry, TDM, Hughes and Weathers) were a little slow to get open and come back to the ball. But Weathers got inside position on his defender along the baseline and I'm pretty sure could have safely taken the inbounds pass and drawn a quick foul. Carry and TDM couldn't get separation at all. Hughes went long and was open but I doubt Norman could see him with Soriano's 6-11, 250 frame fronting him. Maybe Norman waited too long for TDM or Carry to get free or maybe he just panicked, hard to tell. But I think the result speaks for itself. Norman's pretty much a spot-up shooting guard, not really known for his passing or decision-making skills. If that was what Keith was going for then just let Carry--who was desperately trying to call timeout on the court--inbound it. Or just let your veterans (Hughes or Weathers) handle it, at least they'd know to call timeout if they couldn't find anyone open. Norman seemed a bit in over his head.

I hadn't even realized Hughes wasn't credited with any blocks in the game. His emphatic rejection of Colon's layup attempt with 20 seconds left was credited to Weathers according to the play-by-play sheet on ESPN.

2/18/2020 10:38 am  #42

phil95 wrote:

[Finally, when then low post offense is stymied & the deep shots are not falling against a team that wants to play slow, I don't understand the reluctance push a bit more and/or get post-ups from the secondary break.

FWIW, Phil, Fordham wasn't crashing the offensive glass at all. They were getting back on D after every shot attempt. Something you notice a lot more when you're at the game vs. watching it on TV. I'm a little surprised they were credited with 7 offensive rebounds, though it looks like three of the seven were team rebounds that got batted around a bit or went off a Duquesne player out of bounds. Again, take the official scoring there with a grain of salt. And we just weren't quick or fast enough to beat them down the court in transition when we forced turnovers. When we tried, the result was often another turnover. I'm all for pushing the pace and we're at our best when we're scoring in transition, but it was easier said than done Sunday.

Board footera