Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2020 11:01 am  #1

Nice post by Lunardi on getting more A10 teams into the NCAA tourney

Makes the case with data that at-large NCAA tourney bids would be better spent on strong mid-majors than mediocre power conference teams with losing records in their conference. I agree wholeheartedly. If you can't at least break even in conference play--no matter how strong your conference is--you don't belong in the NCAA tourney. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28725358/behind-bracket-implement-tournament-eligibility-criteria

2/18/2020 1:24 pm  #2

Re: Nice post by Lunardi on getting more A10 teams into the NCAA tourney

Other than blue blood schools, who want more conference foes in to inflate their self worth, I think a lot of CBB fans would like to see more Cinderellas in the dance. 

Power 5's don't want to schedule the mid majors, then poo poo these same mid majors "Who have you played?"

2/18/2020 1:33 pm  #3

JakeTheSnake wrote:

Other than blue blood schools, who want more conference foes in to inflate their self worth, I think a lot of CBB fans would like to see more Cinderellas in the dance. 

Power 5's don't want to schedule the mid majors, then poo poo these same mid majors "Who have you played?"

We willingly choose not play any power 5 teams this year. Hurts because now it’s always going to be “you played no one” no matter the record outcome

2/18/2020 1:55 pm  #4

Godukes2017 wrote:

JakeTheSnake wrote:

We willingly choose not play any power 5 teams this year. Hurts because now it’s always going to be “you played no one” no matter the record outcome

I don't think it hurts us this year, because honestly, we're not really of at large caliber yet. Maybe the team will shock me by sweeping Dayton, Bona, and VCU on the road to actually get in the mix, but I'm not holding my breath for that. P5 games on the road would likely have been losses this year. I think we scheduled very smartly for what we have. Next year is a different story. That's the year we've been building towards, and we have to schedule accordingly. If we can't snag a couple of wins against mid level P5s, or good mid majors, then we don't deserve to be considered for a bid. Can we get into a preseason tourney that has some actual good teams next year? To me, this is a must, as it gives you a shot at good teams on a neutral court.

2/18/2020 2:04 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

JakeTheSnake wrote:

I don't think it hurts us this year, because honestly, we're not really of at large caliber yet. Maybe the team will shock me by sweeping Dayton, Bona, and VCU on the road to actually get in the mix, but I'm not holding my breath for that. P5 games on the road would likely have been losses this year. I think we scheduled very smartly for what we have. Next year is a different story. That's the year we've been building towards, and we have to schedule accordingly. If we can't snag a couple of wins against mid level P5s, or good mid majors, then we don't deserve to be considered for a bid. Can we get into a preseason tourney that has some actual good teams next year? To me, this is a must, as it gives you a shot at good teams on a neutral court.

I agree with this. I think playing more power 5 teams though in the past since Dambrot has came would’ve helped with recruiting. If we had power 5s and still lost it would look better than losing to Cornell or some other cake games we gave up. If I’m wrong tel me but I always thought that since Dambrot got here. Just more power 5s on schedule it will help.

2/18/2020 2:14 pm  #6

Godukes2017 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

I agree with this. I think playing more power 5 teams though in the past since Dambrot has came would’ve helped with recruiting. If we had power 5s and still lost it would look better than losing to Cornell or some other cake games we gave up. If I’m wrong tel me but I always thought that since Dambrot got here. Just more power 5s on schedule it will help.

We really haven't lost to many cupcakes under Dambrot. What makes you look good is a good record. Playing a tougher schedule might have made us 14-18 in year one, and 17-15 last year. maybe we'd only be 16-8 this year. No one cares who you lost to, it's who you beat that counts. Until we're ready to beat some of those better teams, I'm more than cool with the way we've scheduled. Hopefully, next year we'll be confident enough to upgrade the schedule a bit.

2/18/2020 2:26 pm  #7

There were media reports that we did try to schedule road games against power conference teams this year but they wouldn't play us. Only Pitt was mentioned by name. 

2/18/2020 3:35 pm  #8

DennisC91 wrote:

There were media reports that we did try to schedule road games against power conference teams this year but they wouldn't play us. Only Pitt was mentioned by name. 

This is correct. It's not for lack of trying that no impressive teams were on the schedule OOC. No one was returning Harper's calls

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/18/2020 6:11 pm  #9

yak-rbc wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

This is correct. It's not for lack of trying that no impressive teams were on the schedule OOC. No one was returning Harper's calls

Understand.

Board footera