Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2020 8:39 am  #1

4th seed tiebreakers

The win last night kept hopes alive for a double bye in Brooklyn, but the race for the final 2 seeds is messy.

UR is 11-4, SBU, 10-5, and Duquesne SLU and DC are all 9-6. Who does Duquesne own tiebreakers against who?

UR - yes (the only way to catch Richmond is to beat them)
SBU - no (only played Dayton once)
SLU - yes
DC - yes

UR/SBU/DUQ - SBU, Duq, UR
DUQ/SLU/DC - Duq, DC, SLU
SBU/DUQ/DC - Duq, DC, SBU
SBU/DUQ/SLU - Duq, ?, ? (They have yet to play their only matchup but in this scenario Duq come out on top regardless who wins)
UR/DUQ/DC - Duq, ?, ? (They play a 2nd time and its complicated if DC wins but if we beat Richmond we own this tiebreaker too no matter what)
UR/DUQ/SLU - Duq, SLU, UR

at this moment I do not feel like breaking 4 or 5 way ties especially as we still play Richmond, Richmond still hosts Davidson, and SLU still hosts the Bonnies

We're in a good position for most tiebreakers though as long as the Dukes keep winning.

See ya Saturday and Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/27/2020 9:34 am  #2

Re: 4th seed tiebreakers

Gonna be scoreboard watching for sure now!   NICE!!!!

2/27/2020 10:03 am  #3

The tie break on record vs best team is BS with it being an  unbalanced schedule. 0-1 shouldn’t be > 0-2. Strength of Victory would be a better tie breaker, IMO.

I think we need to win out while Bona drops 2/3 here. I don’t think they’ll have an easy time of it at La Salle and then they end the year at SLU.

Dukes need to obviously take care of business. If 4th seed isn’t in the cards, no lower than 6th for me. GW and UMass are playing better ball and we know they’ve given us issues, while 5th or 6th gives us a bottom 4 team.

2/27/2020 10:11 am  #4

Yeah, I hate that 0-1 beats 0-2 tiebreaker. We essentially get penalized for playing the stronger schedule. Meanwhile, Bonnies played pretty much the weakest schedule in the league with doubles against Fordham, St. Joe's, GW and George Mason. But that's the way the A10 does it. 

2/27/2020 11:30 pm  #5

We have a bad losing streak to VCU (never beat them) and I believe another losing streak against Richmond too... It would be great to snap both those streaks just like ours with SBU in this final run here!

2/28/2020 9:30 am  #6

BluffHunter wrote:

We have a bad losing streak to VCU (never beat them) and I believe another losing streak against Richmond too... It would be great to snap both those streaks just like ours with SBU in this final run here!

We had never beaten Davidson until this season. We had lost 8 in a row against Richmond (and were 1-22 since they joined the conference) until we beat them last season. We had lost 8 in a row (and 14 out of 16) against St. Bonaventure until this game. We had lost four in a row against URI until we came back against them last season. We were 1-7 in Philadelphia since Temple left the conference until we blewout St. Joe's on their floor this season. The home team in our series with St. Louis had won 12 out of 14 games, until we beat them on their floor this season to finish the sweep. VCU is the only team that's ever been in the A-10 that we haven't beaten (although our win over Butler was when we were both in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference). It's time for that streak to end. Then the next one Dambrot will end will hopefully be our NCAA Tournament drought.

3/01/2020 4:06 pm  #7

Now in a three way tie with Bona & SLU at 10-6 for the 4th seed.

Duq- @ VCU, vs. UR
Bona- vs. SJU, @ SLU
SLU - @Mason, vs. Bona

A three-way tie at the end of the year should go our way with a combined 3-1 vs Bona/SLU vs Bona being 2-1 at best.

3/01/2020 4:16 pm  #8

Also, a three way tie break between these teams would mean each split and then Davidson could come in to play by winning at Richmond and home to VCU. In a four way tie break at 11-7, I still see the Dukes coming out in this for record against fellow tied teams:

Duq - 4-1
DC - 2-1
Bona - 2-2 or 1-3
SLU - 1-3 or 0-4

Last edited by Brian (3/01/2020 4:19 pm)

3/01/2020 10:24 pm  #9

If we happen to win these last 2, difficult but possible, can we end up in 2nd place if the other games go our way?

3/01/2020 10:53 pm  #10

townsonkid wrote:

If we happen to win these last 2, difficult but possible, can we end up in 2nd place if the other games go our way?

Yes, a 4 way tie at 12-6 with St. Louis, Richmond and Rhode Island would put us in second place.

3/01/2020 10:54 pm  #11

townsonkid wrote:

Wow! Where was this optimism a few weeks ago? Seriously though, yes it is still possible. Obviously we have to win out. Then in rough order of likelihood:
Rhode Island loses to Dayton
St. Louis wins at George Mason
St. Louis beats St. Bonaventure
Rhode Island loses at Massachusetts
Richmond loses at home to Davidson

That would leave us, St. Louis, Richmond, and URI all at 12-6 in conference. Among the tied teams, we'd be 3-1, St. Louis 2-2, Richmond 1-2 with a win over URI, and URI 1-2. So we'd finish in 2nd, our highest finish since 1981.

3/02/2020 10:44 am  #12

Heading into the final week the easiest path to the double bye is as follows:

Duq beat @ VCU and v UR

And either:
UR loses to at home to Davidson
OR
SBU loses to either St. Joe's or SLU.

Duquesne can still get in with 1 win if SLU loses to George Mason then beats the Bonnies (I assume Davidson going 2-0 would not affect this)

Above posters are correct - a path to as high as the 2 seed technically exists.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

Board footera