Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2020 6:17 pm  #1

Game Thread - VCU Rams

7:00pm EST tip on Tuesday 03/03/2020 at the Siegel Center, Richmond, VA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #98 (20-8; 10-6) vs VCU Rams #64 (18-11; 8-8)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 6, 71-65 - Dukes with 30% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 5 point underdogs; Over/Under 136½
Duquesne 12-16 Against the Spread; VCU 10-19 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Davidson (71); Saint Louis-2 (76); Indiana State (108)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): George Washington (217); UAB (194); UMass (181)
VCU Best Win(s): LSU (40); Richmond (50); North Texas (65)
VCU Worst Loss(es): UMass (181); George Mason (166); Saint Louis (76)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at VCU for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Turnover % (80)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (5); Effective FG % (92)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (257)

Here's a look at VCU in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (1)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate (13); Offensive Rebound % (11)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (95)
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (93); Effective FG % (98) 
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (291)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (4)
Defensive Strength:  None   
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (14)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
VCU Adj Offense Efficiency - 104.4, #148 in D-1; 100.2, #8 in A-10
- vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.1, #109 in D-1; 101.7, #8 in A-10
VCU Adj Defense Efficiency - 93.2, #33 in D-1; 95.9, #4 in A-10
- vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.7, #89 in D-1; 103.8, #5 in A-10
VCU Adj Tempo - 69.3, #119 in D-1; 69.1, #5 in A-10
- vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.7, #209 in D-1; 66.8, #10 in A-10

Miscellaneous
Experience - VCU 2.13 yrs, #48 in D-1; Dukes 1.42 yrs, #266 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - VCU 71.6%, #17 in D-1; Dukes 55.6%, #111 in D-1
Average Height - VCU 77.1", #135 in D-1; Dukes 75.9", #303 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/03/2020 12:39 pm)

3/02/2020 6:18 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - VCU Rams

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 106th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
VCU is 57th in the country and OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=5363&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

3/02/2020 6:47 pm  #3

It is Duquesne's turn, and it is Duquesne's time KD is fired up.  The fans need to get behind this team.  Let's win the next two and let the seeding fall where it may, and go on to win the tournament.  Go Duke!

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1234545126539743232

3/02/2020 9:36 pm  #4

While VCU had two great games against huge opponents that came down to the wire in non conference play, they heartbreakingly lost both and have been on a downhill slide since. (59-56 Purdue and 72-69 current #17 Tennessee) When the slide started it was thought that Bones Hyland was the turnaround jolt that they needed because Marcus Evans seemingly regressed. Well it turns out Evans is out now due to injury and was hurt for sure during the entire season. His loss, and who knows what else has put this team in a place I could have never imagined. They just snapped a 5 game skid with losses to GMU and UMASS with a win vs GW. Hopefully their guard play doesn't heat up and we keep Santos-Silva contained underneath the basket. I have trust in our bigs. I'd say we see our first win against VCU in program history tomorrow... I hope. 

Last edited by BluffHunter (3/02/2020 9:37 pm)

3/02/2020 9:38 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

It is Duquesne's turn, and it is Duquesne's time KD is fired up.  The fans need to get behind this team.  Let's win the next two and let the seeding fall where it may, and go on to win the tournament.  Go Duke!

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1234545126539743232

This clip is inspiring. Thank you for posting it. I just purchased some tickets & am meeting some Pittsburgh folks in Richmond tomorrow night.

I am kind of surprised that the Dukes are 5 point underdogs. I was expecting it to be a maximum of 2.5. Oddsmakers must give a bunch of credit for that VCU home-court advantage. 

3/02/2020 9:54 pm  #6

I've been guessing spreads for a lot of A10 games pretty successfully this season, always add 3 for the home team on what you think it should be. 

3/02/2020 10:00 pm  #7

BluffHunter wrote:

I've been guessing spreads for a lot of A10 games pretty successfully this season, always add 3 for the home team on what you think it should be. 

To me, I really feel, this Dukes team should be a handful, I have the Dukes by 3.

3/02/2020 10:22 pm  #8

That Dambrot snippet CLK shared with us got every Duquesne fan pumped up!
LeBron James on Twitter: "I SWEAR I FREAKING LOVE THIS GUY SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! RAW and REAL"

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1234671466190270466

3/02/2020 10:32 pm  #9

Just want to tell you all that LeBron has 45.3 MILLION followers on Twitter... talk about getting students interested and fans to come to games. Lebron has a HUGE impact. 

3/03/2020 1:16 am  #10

They've had our number since they joined the league. They're hurting now, but they still are a tough matchup for us because of their style. Silva-Santos killed us last year, and he'll still be playing. Dambrot has some history with them, even if Shaka is gone. We certainly can beat them if we play a disciplined game and take advantage of their injuries. I hope I'm wrong, but I've got to call VCU 69 Dukes 68.

3/03/2020 9:27 am  #11

BluffHunter wrote:

LeBron James on Twitter: "I SWEAR I FREAKING LOVE THIS GUY SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! RAW and REAL"

This tweet by LeBron is great. Come on guys time to believe. It is Duquesne's turn, and it is Duquesne's time!  

Last edited by CLK (3/03/2020 9:30 am)

3/03/2020 9:29 am  #12

Itll be senior day for VCU so it's already going to be kind of nuts in that building.

However as noted in the other thread VCU has some bad injury/personal luck this season and it will not be the same team that took down LSU.

VCU hasn't seen Carry yet - he sat out last year's game

No Dukes has played at the Siegel Center yet either.

Weve started off well the last 2 games against VCU - we had a 13 point lead in the first half the last time we played in Richmond and a 9 point lead in the first half in Palumbo last season.

Got to figure out how to keep that success for 40 minutes. We will quite possibly see some dueling press from both teams

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/03/2020 9:35 am  #13

VCU - 57
Dukes - 106
This is going to be a difficult win.  They are rated a lot higher than us, it is a home game and senior day for them.  We can win, but will have to play almost flawlessly.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (3/03/2020 9:35 am)

3/03/2020 9:56 am  #14

FAM wrote:

VCU - 57
Dukes - 106
This is going to be a difficult win.  They are rated a lot higher than us, it is a home game and senior day for them.  We can win, but will have to play almost flawlessly.  Go Dukes!

Fam, which rating system are these from?

3/03/2020 10:01 am  #15

BluffHunter wrote:

If he loves him so much and thinks so highly of him, then he should trust him with his most prized possession. His son, now that would get the ball rolling for top rated recruits coming our way. Also getting the Laurel Highlands freshman that plays with LeBrons son to stay home and play locally. Locally we have missed on, Carmody (ND) Mitchell (UMASS) Morton (Purdue) just to name a few.  If we keep these types of players home than we only need to fill the gaps with out of town recruits.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (3/03/2020 10:02 am)

3/03/2020 10:19 am  #16

phil95 wrote:

FAM wrote:

VCU - 57
Dukes - 106

Fam, which rating system are these from?

No, this is his final score prediction of course

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/03/2020 10:25 am  #17

Is VCU on spring break?

3/03/2020 10:49 am  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Is VCU on spring break?

No. Purposefully or not, VCU's break is the week of the A10 tournament.

Idk why Duquesne always picks this week to be on Spring break and if they're considering other events that arent athletic-oriented, but if they dont have a specific reason, I really *really* wished they moved it to the A10 tourney week

3/03/2020 11:00 am  #19

VA is voting today, VCU isnt as good this year(not going to NCAAs) compared to recent years, maybe their crowd will be a little less a factor.   Hopefully our guys come out with fire.  It wont be easy, need a 40 minute effort from all players and coaches, but its doable.   

Should I bet against the Dukes?   Dukes are 2-0 when I bet against the Dukes on the road this year(SLU and SBU).   +5.5 pts.   

3/03/2020 11:33 am  #20

Yak - I got it from Phoenix near the top of this thread.  He has that it is from Haslametrics.

3/03/2020 12:40 pm  #21

FAM wrote:

Yak - I got it from Phoenix near the top of this thread.  He has that it is from Haslametrics.

And I butchered the KenPom rating for VCU in the initial post....
VCU is 64th and Dukes 98th.

3/03/2020 1:02 pm  #22

FAM wrote:

I wasnt the one confused but thank you

3/03/2020 1:31 pm  #23

Idk if anyone saw the other clip from that interview, but Mike Hughes came over at one point to do his usual reporter routine. KD made a joke about people thinking he was berating “reporter Hughes” like last time. It was funny and cool to realize that either he is directly reading this board or has someone in his ear reading it. Good to know he has a pulse on the fans that are around currently.

Won’t be easy but no reason we can’t win tonight with the injuries VCU has. Also like what we have done with the added depth. Rotroff adds a lot and Buckley has been a big help defensively. Hoping for another W tonight and possibly moving a step closer to the 4 seed.

Go Dukes!!!!

3/03/2020 1:31 pm  #24

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

FAM wrote:

And I butchered the KenPom rating for VCU in the initial post....
VCU is 64th and Dukes 98th.

I appreciate the clarification. That is a little bit surprising. They must really get a lot of love for their defensive rating.

3/03/2020 1:34 pm  #25

townsonkid wrote:

VA is voting today, VCU isnt as good this year(not going to NCAAs) compared to recent years, maybe their crowd will be a little less a factor.   Hopefully our guys come out with fire.  It wont be easy, need a 40 minute effort from all players and coaches, but its doable.   

Should I bet against the Dukes?   Dukes are 2-0 when I bet against the Dukes on the road this year(SLU and SBU).   +5.5 pts.   

Last night I was able to purchase 3, primo, seats together for $14 each from StubHub. There were many more of good quality available.

Board footera