Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2020 12:40 pm  #1

20 A 10 games now??

The Atlantic 10 is considering going to a 20-game conference schedule, per Atlantic 10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade.

McGlade: "With the inventory of non-conference games shrinking, we have to consider 20 games."

I don't like this idea

3/28/2020 12:51 pm  #2

Re: 20 A 10 games now??

We have 18 now.  Her point is right I feel.  A lot of posters have alluded to the scheduling difficulties.  Two more games OK with me but that’s me.  I just hope there is a season.

3/28/2020 1:02 pm  #3

We could also go to 19 games by having two divisions.  Home and homes in your division and once a season against the other division.  For the tournament seed the division winners 1 and 2 then use the current seeding and tie breaking rules for the rest.

3/28/2020 1:51 pm  #4

The idea is that because the P5/BE is going to 20 games, there aren't enough good games to go around. It's better that we play 2 more games against mostly top 150 competition in the league, as opposed to playing 2 more dreck games, or even worse, having to go on the road against MAAC/Horizon level teams, and suffering season killing losses. Divisions are ok, but the A10 really doesn't divide very well into groups of 7. Contrast us to the BE, where if they were to theoretically add Dayton, Wichita, or SLU, would divide very neatly into eastern, and western divisions. The A10 doesn't divide neatly like that. SLU for example, is such a geographic outlier, that there is really no divisional alignment that offers them significant travel relief. Davidson is also an outlier, who in any divisional alignment, would want to be grouped with the Richmond schools, who in turn would want to be grouped with the DC schools. See the problem. That's 5 schools that would need to be grouped together. You'd need two more schools for that division, and the only combination that wouldn't leave SLU, and the New England schools in the same division, would be adding SLU, and Dayton to the 5 southern schools, and you know that splitting Dayton from Duquesne is never going to fly.

3/28/2020 4:11 pm  #5

Short trip division
UMass, URI, Fordham, LaSalle, St. Joe's, GWU, GMU

Long trip division
Dukes, SLU, SBU, UD, VCU, Richmond, Davidson

3/28/2020 5:21 pm  #6

VBC wrote:

Short trip division
UMass, URI, Fordham, LaSalle, St. Joe's, GWU, GMU

Long trip division
Dukes, SLU, SBU, UD, VCU, Richmond, Davidson

Which is exactly why it'll never happen. The extra travel would put those schools at a disadvantage. The short group doesn't have a trip over 400 miles. The long group is mostly trips over that. Also, the Richmond schools will never vote to be separated from the DC schools. Any advantage of divisional play is wiped out by the negatives. No divisions let's you have 7 home and homes, and 6 single games. Works for me!

3/28/2020 9:30 pm  #7

Going to a 20 game league is a poor idea.Duquesne and the rest of A10 needs to get wins against Power 5 schools and the less oppurtunities to play the big conference team the more chance the A10 sends only
tournament champion to Bog Dance.It will be like the MAC
What is the best thing about march madness is the upsets that happen when the unknown small schools
upset the big schools.The less the chance of at large bids for smaller schools ruins the popularity
of college basketball.
No way a Big Ten team has a losing record in conference  should be getting into tournament.College basketball is hurting itself by catering to the big schools.
Duquesne needs to get a much better out of conference schedule to have a chance of getting invited.

3/28/2020 9:36 pm  #8

Bring in UCLA for that first home game at coop.We never got the chance to see the Dukes play
UCLA because of losing to pitt in 1970.It was the long awaited battle that never happened.We
need to play them and other glamour schools to win back fans to change the perception that
Duquesne is a major player.

3/28/2020 9:49 pm  #9

I dont care if we have to go on the road we gotta go to Columbus and play Ohio State,we need to
go to Cincinnati and play Xaiver or UC.Beating Radford or Columbia at home is for PUS----S.
No one in Pittsburgh cares about the A10and even if we get clobbered so what you still can
win a10 league championship.Big schools with NCAA help is wiping out mid-majors.NCAA is
a disgrace  with transfer rules and al the other bs .

3/28/2020 11:43 pm  #10

stew wrote:

Going to a 20 game league is a poor idea.Duquesne and the rest of A10 needs to get wins against Power 5 schools and the less oppurtunities to play the big conference team the more chance the A10 sends only
tournament champion to Bog Dance.It will be like the MAC
What is the best thing about march madness is the upsets that happen when the unknown small schools
upset the big schools.The less the chance of at large bids for smaller schools ruins the popularity
of college basketball.
No way a Big Ten team has a losing record in conference  should be getting into tournament.College basketball is hurting itself by catering to the big schools.
Duquesne needs to get a much better out of conference schedule to have a chance of getting invited.

You can't make the big schools play us. It's not in their best interest to play us, and they certainly will never come to Pittsburgh.

3/29/2020 1:24 pm  #11

Kentucky came to play RMU, and lost.  So it is not impossible.  Big schools may come to Pittsburgh on a bus trip, they would not fly here.  That leaves Ohio State, Penn State, WVU, Maryland, and Pitt as the ones Duquesne should target.

3/29/2020 1:52 pm  #12

Bilgy wrote:

Kentucky came to play RMU, and lost.  So it is not impossible.  Big schools may come to Pittsburgh on a bus trip, they would not fly here.  That leaves Ohio State, Penn State, WVU, Maryland, and Pitt as the ones Duquesne should target.

Kentucky came to Robert Morris because it could not host an NIT game because it was hosting NCAA games at Rupp Arena at the same time, so that was just an unusual set of circumstances.

I agree it is going to be hard to get P5/BE teams to come to Pittsburgh, though, and your list is a plausible as any. I would like us to get games with some of these teams in early-season tournaments at neutral sites.

3/30/2020 7:15 am  #13

scduke wrote:

Bilgy wrote:

Kentucky came to Robert Morris because it could not host an NIT game because it was hosting NCAA games at Rupp Arena at the same time, so that was just an unusual set of circumstances.

I agree it is going to be hard to get P5/BE teams to come to Pittsburgh, though, and your list is a plausible as any. I would like us to get games with some of these teams in early-season tournaments at neutral sites.

Pitt, Penn St., and WVU are the only big schools that Duquesne will ever be playing in Pittsburgh unless we become a powerhouse again. The only exception would be if a local player was at a big school, and they promised him a game in Pittsburgh, and even then, most would try to schedule a game with Pitt first. There is no reason on earth for Maryland, or Ohio St. to come here. Beating Duquesne offers no benefit to those schools, but a loss is seen as awful. Makes as much sense for them to come here as it would for us to go play a road game at Hampton, which is no sense at all. You guys are thinking with your hearts. Think with your heads.

4/02/2020 2:27 pm  #14

This will definitely help improve our RPI headed into March if this is implemented. Also, with PITT, PSU, and WVU avoiding us during the non conference why not play a team like VCU or Davidson twice.

4/02/2020 4:56 pm  #15

Dukes412 wrote:

This will definitely help improve our RPI headed into March if this is implemented. Also, with PITT, PSU, and WVU avoiding us during the non conference why not play a team like VCU or Davidson twice.

You hit the nail on the head 412. We're not going to play those 2 extra games instead of P5 games. We'll still take whatever P5/BE games we can get. These extra games will replace 2 games against the low major dregs that kill our strength of schedule. Everyone going to 20 games is going to hurt those low majors, because they use the money they get for being cupcakes, to fund their programs.

4/02/2020 10:37 pm  #16

Does not pertain to the topic but why have we avoided playing RMU and Saint Francis? I know they can be tough but that’s a game Duq should win and bring in some local attention. Is it the thought that we have more to lose then gain?

4/03/2020 9:33 pm  #17

Dukes412 wrote:

Does not pertain to the topic but why have we avoided playing RMU and Saint Francis? I know they can be tough but that’s a game Duq should win and bring in some local attention. Is it the thought that we have more to lose then gain?

I was waiting to see if anybody with maybe some more knowledge on the issue would reply, but since there hasn't been anything said I think you're probably right. I think the way Pitt feels about us at this moment in time, is the same way our program feels about RMU.

4/03/2020 9:58 pm  #18

BluffHunter wrote:

I was waiting to see if anybody with maybe some more knowledge on the issue would reply, but since there hasn't been anything said I think you're probably right. I think the way Pitt feels about us at this moment in time, is the same way our program feels about RMU.

I similarly don't have any inside info, but I suppose the site of any games is an issue as well. When we were playing Robert Morris and St. Francis regularly we were playing home and homes with both. With a brand new arena Robert Morris isn't going to want to give away home games, especially since we've obviously proven the arena is good enough for us to play in.

Board footera