Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2020 10:55 pm  #1

When can roster continuity victory be safely celebrated?

The last time I looked, there were better than 600 players in the transfer portal. The last few years there have been right around 700 Division 1 transfers.

So far, the only Duke in there is Frankie.

I have decided to wait until 4/15 to get my hopes up that at least the the 5 starters + TDM, Rotroff, Kelly, & Buckley will return.

What say my fellow posters? When can the daydreaming of a veteran team bolstered by the addition of a winning combo guard & a sharpshooter safely begin?

Last edited by phil95 (3/28/2020 10:56 pm)

3/28/2020 11:46 pm  #2

Re: When can roster continuity victory be safely celebrated?

I'm waiting to see who walks the plank first. Hopefully it will only be one, but if KD keeps recruiting it may have to be more than that. Your list has basically pushed either Ellis, or Miller off the cliff.

3/28/2020 11:55 pm  #3

I am all for Miller hanging to see what develops over the off-season & a sophomore campaign. He wouldn't be the first player to blow up over the summer & firce his way into the rotation. However, he would have to have some kind of confidence to look at what is on roster & decide this is a great place for him to be to chase his dreams.

I'm neither for nor against Ellis staying in the program but, I just can't come up with a realistic scenario  where he thrives at DU.

3/29/2020 7:09 am  #4

With the pandemic, my guess is less kids will be transferring throughout the country.  There is enough going on in their lives without making such a move - they can't go there yet - they can't visit - etc.  If this thing lifts somewhat in May, then there may be an uptick in these moves.  But right now, with the U.S. being #1 in cases and and still not peaked, I hope these athletes have other things on their mind.  God Bless Us All.

Last edited by FAM (3/29/2020 7:10 am)

3/29/2020 7:18 am  #5

I am curious to know where you are getting your numbers.  In looking at Verbalcommits.com, they list 540 transfers to date as of 8AM this morning and 997 for 2019.  If there is a better more reliable site, I would love to know about it.  Thanks.

3/29/2020 8:44 am  #6

I got my numbers from the NCAA's site.

If I am reading it correctly, in 2019 more than 280 players entered but then elected not to transfer.

Can anyone corroborate that?

As for current numbers, some sites lower their counts after a player selects a new school. The NCAA seems to leave everyone on the list.

3/29/2020 9:58 am  #7

I recall that KD was asked about the pending change in NCAA transfer
rules that would allow a player to transfer without sitting out a year. 
KD said that his concern was not so much recruiting but retention.  
Does anyone know what happened to that possible rule change?

3/29/2020 4:45 pm  #8

Econ69 wrote:

I recall that KD was asked about the pending change in NCAA transfer
rules that would allow a player to transfer without sitting out a year. 
KD said that his concern was not so much recruiting but retention.  
Does anyone know what happened to that possible rule change?

I'd say it's happening, it's just a matter of when. 

3/29/2020 5:21 pm  #9

If so, then players from all the teams will be moving.
Dukes will be poached and the Dukes will poach.
It appears that could be the new normal.  

3/29/2020 5:27 pm  #10

Econ69 wrote:

sadly I agree. Hopefully mid-major programs don't get screwed like the coaches who keep arguing against the rule say. For every player on a mid-major program trying to play on a big name team, there should be a Power 6 athlete not happy with his playing time when they want to be a role player. 

3/30/2020 7:30 am  #11

BluffHunter wrote:

Econ69 wrote:

sadly I agree. Hopefully mid-major programs don't get screwed like the coaches who keep arguing against the rule say. For every player on a mid-major program trying to play on a big name team, there should be a Power 6 athlete not happy with his playing time when they want to be a role player. 

Of course this is what will happen. The A10 will steal players from the mid majors, and they will also pick up players like the guy who just went from Vandy to GW, 3 and 4 star guys who didn't work out, or got recruited over at P5/BE schools, and then get pushed out. It will make it difficult to build any continuity, and the coaches who are good at quickly pulling a team together will excel here, as you'll always have guys who will only be here one or two years. In a world like this, Mike, Marcus, and Sincere might be gone, and our new point guard might be a player who was all league in the AE, while our new bigs might be a 3.5 star out of the ACC, and a 4 star out of the Big 10, both seniors. Can you blend this together quickly. Other teams will be dealing with the same thing. The big schools will be less effected, because they won't be losing their best players (except to the NBA), although I guess the P5 also rans will be getting poached at a high level.

Board footera