Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2020 6:27 pm  #1

More self-isolation fun: Greatest Dukes games you'd watch again

The only college basketball you can watch these days are replays of games from earlier this season or past seasons, usually featuring ACC, Big 10, Big East, Big 12, etc. teams. But what if you could tune in to great Dukes games of the past? Which ones would you want to watch? Doesn't matter if they were ever on TV or not (though I wonder if there's a vault at AT&T Sports Pittsburgh, or whatever it's called now that has old tapes of some of these games).

Anyway, here's my list, I'll start with games from my era as a fan:

12/19/88: Duquesne 80, Pitt 76. I was there in person for this one at a packed Palumbo Center, in only the fourth game ever played there. Never experienced so much energy there for a Dukes game ever again. Would love to be able to relive that. Shawn Kelly pounding Brian Shorter in the paint the whole game, the refs letting them play. The season would still unravel a few weeks later and Jim Satalin would be out of a job by the end of it but for a little while, we thought a new era was upon us. It was on local TV (KBL maybe) at least so there's a tape of it out there somewhere.

1/16/91: Duquesne 60, Temple 59. Do remember watching this one on TV. I graduated a month earlier and was still home in Philly with family. The ground invasion of Iraq in Desert Storm had started right around the time this game tipped off. The Sheiks, though banned by then, were leading the Palumbo Center in U-S-A chants. And the Dukes, after stumbling to a 3-9 start that year, ended a 13-game losing streak against Temple with an emotional win. It was the first of several big home wins that season, which Duquesne finished on an 8-game home winning streak. I'd also love to re-watch the home wins against Penn State (87-81), UMass (68-67; we wouldn't beat them again for another 11 years) and WVU (93-88) from that season. Mossie Murphy whipping the home crowd into a frenzy at every one of them. That team started slow (lost to both Robert Morris and St. Francis) and flopped at the end but in between they played some really entertaining, fun-to-watch games and defended their homecourt. Derrick Alston, Alan Watkins, Efrem Whitehead, Mark Gilbert and James Hargrove all making big contributions in their first years with the program. NOTE: College Basketball Reference has the locations of the Penn State games from that year flip-flopped. We lost to them on the road, then beat them at home a week later.

12/15/92: Duquesne 91, Florida State 84. I didn't see this one in person or on TV, had to work nights in those days, but wished I had. A miserable season (no one needs to say why, seriously no thread hijackings please) that nonetheless featured some big wins and this was the biggest of them all as the Dukes take down No. 10 Florida State in front of 5,000+ at the Palumbo Center. I know, I know, Charlie Ward didn't play but Sam Cassell, Bobby Sura and Doug Edwards all did. Florida State would go on to make the Elite 8 that year. Dukes were still another year away from the NIT. 

1/31/07: Duquesne 93, Xavier 91: Fast-forward more than 14 years. In the heart of the 1040-resurgence, the undermanned Dukes win a thriller against a Xavier team that would win 25 games and take No. 1 and eventual NCAA runner-up Ohio State to OT in the second round of the Big Dance. If memory serves me correctly, this was the Sean Miller meltdown game, no? I'd watch that any day of the week. 

2/7/09: Duquesne 72, Xavier 68: The Ron Everhart renaissance is in full swing. Xavier's back again, ranked 9th in the country, on its way to a 27-win season and Sweet 16 appearance but the Dukes come out on top in front of a packed house at Palumbo. A foreshadowing perhaps of their improbable A10 tourney run a month later. Not sure if this one featured a Sean Miller meltdown as well but do remember a rare storming of the court.

Before my time, but games I wish I saw:

3/5/77: Duquesne 57, Villanova 54: Norm Nixon scores 27, willing the Dukes to a win over Villanova in Philly and taking their first and only (ECBL/EAA/Eastern 8/Atlantic 10) conference championship. Anyone remember watching this one?

I wasn't even born yet, but those games in the late '60s against Bonaventure when they had Bob Lanier and we had the Nelsons must have been a treat to watch, especially when Duquesne won. If anyone remembers those, would love to hear more about them.

Anyone else?

Last edited by DennisC91 (3/29/2020 10:38 pm)

3/29/2020 8:22 pm  #2

Re: More self-isolation fun: Greatest Dukes games you'd watch again

Great stuff Dennis; a few earlier games that I saw in person:
1. Dukes beat A ranked Providence Team with a Marvin Barnes and Kevin Stacom.  The Dukes were down one with just seconds to go when Norman steals the inbound pass and feeds Bernie O’Keefe who hits the game-winner.

2.  Dukes under Mike Rice have a strong team; with Bruce Atkins, Doug Arnold, BB Flenory, and Ricky Tunstall, Lonnie McClain and Jeff Baldwin, and go into the Palestra and promptly lose Bruce to an ejection about a minute into the game; but the Dukes play an inspired game and beat a good Nova team anyway! 

3.  Dukes played an ECAC Saturday Matinee before a nice crowd at the Civic Arena against a loaded and ranked Bonnie’s team.  I think Lanier was on this team, but I’m not sure.  Anyway the Dukes pounded them winning this one easily.

3/29/2020 9:06 pm  #3

I think the 2/7/09 72-68 win over Xavier was the game of the Miller meltdown. He stormed the floor complaining about a non call on the Dukes in the last few seconds of the game I think. Of course, I could be wrong - Miller had a proclivity for meltdowns. He thought his teams should never lose.

3/29/2020 10:35 pm  #4

Westender wrote:

I think the 2/7/09 72-68 win over Xavier was the game of the Miller meltdown. He stormed the floor complaining about a non call on the Dukes in the last few seconds of the game I think. Of course, I could be wrong - Miller had a proclivity for meltdowns. He thought his teams should never lose.

It was definitely the '07 game, though may have happened in '09 as well. Found the below clip online though the story's no longer there. He was a sophomore on the Pitt team we beat in '88. In the aftermath of that game, a rumor spread that he had spit on one of the Duquesne cheerleaders on his way off the court. We tracked down the cheerleader in question (Duquesne Duke investigative reporting at its best) and asked her what happened. She said he didn't spit on her, just called her the b-word as he passed her. If it weren't for him getting to coach against Danny Nee his first year at Xavier, he might have never won at Palumbo.  Duquesne beats Xavier, 93-91 | Pittsburgh Post-Gazettewww.post-gazette.com › Duquesne-beats-Xavier-93-91 › stories 
[list=1]
[*] 
[/list]
Jan 30, 2007 - Xavier coach Sean Miller, a former Pitt player, seemed as stunned as anyone by the finish, chasing an official off the court -- apparently to ...

3/30/2020 12:21 am  #5

All this talk about Miller, maybe some of you would be interested in "The Scheme" which premiers on HBO tomorrow, the 31st. It includes recordings of him never before heard by the public because they were FBI confidential. As for the games to watch, I'd love to burn a good 8 hours watching our 2009 A10 tournament run.

3/30/2020 7:55 am  #6

1977 Dukes upset Dickie V’s ranked Detroit team.

1980 NIT win over Pitt.

The Florida State game when Whitehead couldn’t miss.

3/30/2020 8:33 am  #7

1969 NCAA Sweet Sixteen - Dukes vs. North Carolina
Tar Heels 79, Dukes 78
Arguably the best Dukes team since 1955.  Dukes shooting 47% from the FT line didn't help
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1969-03-13-duquesne.html
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=gL9scSG3K_gC&dat=19690314&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

3/30/2020 9:06 am  #8

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

1969 NCAA Sweet Sixteen - Dukes vs. North Carolina
Tar Heels 79, Dukes 78
Arguably the best Dukes team since 1955.  Dukes shooting 47% from the FT line didn't help
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1969-03-13-duquesne.html
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=gL9scSG3K_gC&dat=19690314&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

That's one I'd love to watch.
The Pitt NIT game is another.
The Villanova games in 69, and 71 in front of a packed Arena would also be high on the list.
The 81 Eastern 8 title game is one you could burn. Most disappointing loss ever.

3/30/2020 9:50 am  #9

Yeah, I'd steer clear of losses, though one of the most entertaining Dukes games I ever watched was the '09 NIT game against Virginia Tech. I think I'd just stop the replay after the first OT. 

3/30/2020 12:11 pm  #10

DennisC91 wrote:

Westender wrote:

It was definitely the '07 game, though may have happened in '09 as well. Found the below clip online though the story's no longer there. He was a sophomore on the Pitt team we beat in '88. In the aftermath of that game, a rumor spread that he had spit on one of the Duquesne cheerleaders on his way off the court. We tracked down the cheerleader in question (Duquesne Duke investigative reporting at its best) and asked her what happened. She said he didn't spit on her, just called her the b-word as he passed her. If it weren't for him getting to coach against Danny Nee his first year at Xavier, he might have never won at Palumbo.  Duquesne beats Xavier, 93-91 | Pittsburgh Post-Gazettewww.post-gazette.com › Duquesne-beats-Xavier-93-91 › stories 
[list=1]
[*] 
[/list]
Jan 30, 2007 - Xavier coach Sean Miller, a former Pitt player, seemed as stunned as anyone by the finish, chasing an official off the court -- apparently to ...

I1 guess you're right Dennis. The comment about Miller chasing an official off the floor seals it.I was there facing him as he ran across the floor chasing an official with rage on his face. Also, the 2 point margin meshes with my recollection of the reason for his meltdown - he thought we fouled on a last second shot to tie the game. Nothing was called and he went crazy. It was one of my most enjoyable games.

Last edited by Westender (3/30/2020 12:13 pm)

3/30/2020 12:19 pm  #11

Like duq 81, I agree the 1971 Villanova game was one to remember. It was a true sellout because the student section (on one sideline then) was full and the only empty seat I could find anywhere was in the last row of the end zone. I only got in because the student entrance line was short. There were hundreds still outside just before tipoff. BTW, the Civic Arena held 12,500 then.

Another great one in 1971 was beating Notre Dame. When we got back to the Towers we all called everyone we knew to tell them about it because the earliest they would know was from the 11 PM news. 

And although we lost, taking over 10,000 fans to Morgantown for the NCAA game vs. Penn was quite a spectacle.

Now my favorite PLAY was when one of the Nelsons stole the ball and had a breakaway. In those days dunking was illegal but he did it anyway. We got a technical foul instead of a basket. Red Manning wasn't happy but the fans were.

3/30/2020 3:14 pm  #12

No dunking? Wow. The game has changed for the better.

Link to an article about the 1971 game against Villanova from the Villanova student newspaper of all places:

https://digital.library.villanova.edu/files/vudl:187457/MASTER

3/30/2020 3:35 pm  #13

DennisC91 wrote:

No dunking? Wow. The game has changed for the better.

Link to an article about the 1971 game against Villanova from the Villanova student newspaper of all places:

https://digital.library.villanova.edu/files/vudl:187457/MASTER

You didn't know the NCAA banned dunking because of Kareem?

3/30/2020 10:49 pm  #14

Afraid not, happened before I was born. Doesn't really surprise me though. While I can remember college basketball in the '70s (Notre Dame playing UCLA, the undefeated Indiana team in '76, Marquette), I don't think I really got into it until the very early '80s. Yes, the Big East made me a fan. 

3/30/2020 11:09 pm  #15

I remember listening to some of the NIT win over UNC-Charlotte as a kid. A two point postseason win in front of a big crowd at the AJP would have been fun to be a part of.

3/30/2020 11:32 pm  #16

DennisC91 wrote:

2/7/09: Duquesne 72, Xavier 68: The Ron Everhart renaissance is in full swing. Xavier's back again, ranked 9th in the country, on its way to a 27-win season and Sweet 16 appearance but the Dukes come out on top in front of a packed house at Palumbo. A foreshadowing perhaps of their improbable A10 tourney run a month later. Not sure if this one featured a Sean Miller meltdown as well but do remember a rare storming of the court.

I don't have a large library of games in my possession, but I do have a few. I had a good feeling about this game going in. Maybe it was the Steelers winning the Super Bowl a week earlier in dramatic fashion. Possibly it was remembering that in my time in school (Nee era), Duquesne gave Xavier some trouble despite the difference in the two programs. Dukes could have and probably should have beaten the NPOY, David West lead team in 2003 at Palumbo and did beat the 2004 team at AJP. The Dukes actually swept Xavier in 2004 and were the last team to beat Xavier before they lost to Duke in the Elite 8.  Either way, I had a good feeling about this game and set the old VCR to record it while attending the game. I worked hours that prevented me from attending weekday games, so I was excited to get to this game and sat in the upper deck red seats with my Dad.

It'd been a while since I'd seen any of this game, so it was fun to watch to see what I remembered and what was lost in the joy of this victory.

Admittedly the quality isn't great, being a VCR recording from 11 years ago but I ripped it to a DVD and then uploaded it to YouTube. I tried a version that edited out the commercials, but the converting and uploading was taking entirely too long. So I now present the entire broadcast of the Dukes taking down #9 Xavier in front of a sold out Palumbo for a Red Out (with some navy blue snuggy wearing Xavier fans mixed in). Hope you enjoy the unbelievable shooting by the Dukes in the first half, AJax's playmaking and overall offensive game, Billy Clark's big threes, Sean Miller freaking out on Terell "Tu" Holloway, the cheesy local ads and most of all, the Dukes getting a big win in front of a packed house and the joy of the night for Dukes fans of all ages.

**Also, due to a mix up in the recording process for the 2009 A10 semis, I only have the last 8 minutes or so of the win over Dayton. I could load that also, as at the very least, you get to see the end and the celebration of moving on to the finals and avenging the earlier losses to UD. 
However, I do have the entire Quarter Final matchup with URI on tape. I have converted it to DVD and will upload it to YouTube tomorrow night. It also isn't the greatest quality being it was not only a VCR tape but a game broadcast on PCNC(!). 

Last edited by Brian (3/30/2020 11:37 pm)

3/30/2020 11:58 pm  #17

Wow Brian, thank you so much!!!! Please upload whatever you feel, there will be many happy members of this board!!!!

3/31/2020 1:32 am  #18

Brian wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

I don't have a large library of games in my possession, but I do have a few. I had a good feeling about this game going in. Maybe it was the Steelers winning the Super Bowl a week earlier in dramatic fashion. Possibly it was remembering that in my time in school (Nee era), Duquesne gave Xavier some trouble despite the difference in the two programs. Dukes could have and probably should have beaten the NPOY, David West lead team in 2003 at Palumbo and did beat the 2004 team at AJP. The Dukes actually swept Xavier in 2004 and were the last team to beat Xavier before they lost to Duke in the Elite 8.  Either way, I had a good feeling about this game and set the old VCR to record it while attending the game. I worked hours that prevented me from attending weekday games, so I was excited to get to this game and sat in the upper deck red seats with my Dad.

It'd been a while since I'd seen any of this game, so it was fun to watch to see what I remembered and what was lost in the joy of this victory.

Admittedly the quality isn't great, being a VCR recording from 11 years ago but I ripped it to a DVD and then uploaded it to YouTube. I tried a version that edited out the commercials, but the converting and uploading was taking entirely too long. So I now present the entire broadcast of the Dukes taking down #9 Xavier in front of a sold out Palumbo for a Red Out (with some navy blue snuggy wearing Xavier fans mixed in). Hope you enjoy the unbelievable shooting by the Dukes in the first half, AJax's playmaking and overall offensive game, Billy Clark's big threes, Sean Miller freaking out on Terell "Tu" Holloway, the cheesy local ads and most of all, the Dukes getting a big win in front of a packed house and the joy of the night for Dukes fans of all ages.

**Also, due to a mix up in the recording process for the 2009 A10 semis, I only have the last 8 minutes or so of the win over Dayton. I could load that also, as at the very least, you get to see the end and the celebration of moving on to the finals and avenging the earlier losses to UD. 
However, I do have the entire Quarter Final matchup with URI on tape. I have converted it to DVD and will upload it to YouTube tomorrow night. It also isn't the greatest quality being it was not only a VCR tape but a game broadcast on PCNC(!). 

Either the A-10 win over Dayton or URI was the same night as the famous 6 overtime Big East tournament game. I got back to the hotel to catch the last few overtimes in my room.

After the URI game, I was sitting alone in an empty part of the stands watching the beginning the next game & RE sat 3 or 4 seats away. I was busy texting with Dukes fans when he asked to see my phone because it was one of the first big phablets. Weird exchange but, I congratulated & thanked him profusely for the win.

Last edited by phil95 (3/31/2020 1:36 am)

3/31/2020 1:35 am  #19

That win against UNCC was fun.

The next round loss to PSU sucked because I was forced to sit with my roommate's high school buddies that went to PSU. They were so obnoxious.

3/31/2020 8:11 am  #20

phil95 wrote:

The next round loss to PSU sucked because I was forced to sit with my roommate's high school buddies that went to PSU. They were so obnoxious.

You mean Villanova?

3/31/2020 8:28 am  #21

@ phil
It was definitely the URI game. I listened to the game at work and when I got home I started watching the tape between 10:30 and 11 at night. Dukes/URI was a close but crisp game and was over in 2 hours. After watching it, I tuned into ESPN to see what I thought was SportsCenter and the Cuse-UConn game was still going on.

3/31/2020 8:44 am  #22

BluffHunter wrote:

Wow Brian, thank you so much!!!! Please upload whatever you feel, there will be many happy members of this board!!!!

Not a problem, BluffHunter.
I'll have the URI game and the last 12 minutes of the A10 semis up sometime later this evening, hopefully.

The only other game I thought I had but haven't located it was the 2010 Red Out win at home vs Dayton. It was an uneven season but the highlight of league play (and I think last win of the year) was defeating Dayton in front of a sell out and ESPN2 broadcast. My recollection of the game was Duquesne spreading Dayton out with Damian Saunders making work of UD's bigs trying to guard him well away from the hoop. RE always seemed to have the answers against Brian Gregory.

And speaking of, I'd add another "Dukes Classic" from that era was the 63-61 win at UD on 2/13/08. I remember following along on the old Channel Surf feed. Dayton built an at large resume by winning at Louisville, thrashing pitt at home and being ranked, only to fritter it away in league play. For the Dukes, it was a monumental win at the time as it clinched a winning season for the first time since 1994. Quick glance at the box score, beyond the low score was it was a slow paced game and only eight players played for the Dukes. The 10/40 was not used for that game.

3/31/2020 9:20 am  #23

DennisC91 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

You mean Villanova?

I do. Same colors; sort of. Same level of obnoxiousness. 🙃

3/31/2020 3:02 pm  #24

Brian wrote:

I don't have a large library of games in my possession, but I do have a few. I had a good feeling about this game going in. Maybe it was the Steelers winning the Super Bowl a week earlier in dramatic fashion. Possibly it was remembering that in my time in school (Nee era), Duquesne gave Xavier some trouble despite the difference in the two programs.

All this time I thought I was the only board member from the Nee years. I'm curious about a couple games from our years if you might have them. Of course even the highlights in those years were mostly losses, but here you go:

2001 vs. George Washington - A rare sellout because the game was on TV (something I've never understood). SirValient "One Nut" Brown took the taunts personally and carried GW to victory. He nailed the game winner and then sprinted off the court flipping off the student section. I am told I also made my ESPN debut at this game.

2003 vs. Xavier - The game you mentioned when we should have beaten a damn good Xavier team with David West. We were all ready to rush the court at the end of regulation before they tied it up. We managed to keep it close even in overtime, but it was another could have should have would have for a team that was so much more talented than their record.

2004 vs. Pitt - The one and only time I ever saw scalpers selling tickets to the Palumbo Center. It was the last sellout there for a very long time. We kept it close for awhile against a good Pitt team, and even led at the half. It was a pretty good scene inside too until they pulled away in the second half.

3/31/2020 8:43 pm  #25

luckymcd wrote:

Brian wrote:

I don't have a large library of games in my possession, but I do have a few. I had a good feeling about this game going in. Maybe it was the Steelers winning the Super Bowl a week earlier in dramatic fashion. Possibly it was remembering that in my time in school (Nee era), Duquesne gave Xavier some trouble despite the difference in the two programs.

All this time I thought I was the only board member from the Nee years. I'm curious about a couple games from our years if you might have them. Of course even the highlights in those years were mostly losses, but here you go:

2001 vs. George Washington - A rare sellout because the game was on TV (something I've never understood). SirValient "One Nut" Brown took the taunts personally and carried GW to victory. He nailed the game winner and then sprinted off the court flipping off the student section. I am told I also made my ESPN debut at this game.

2003 vs. Xavier - The game you mentioned when we should have beaten a damn good Xavier team with David West. We were all ready to rush the court at the end of regulation before they tied it up. We managed to keep it close even in overtime, but it was another could have should have would have for a team that was so much more talented than their record.

2004 vs. Pitt - The one and only time I ever saw scalpers selling tickets to the Palumbo Center. It was the last sellout there for a very long time. We kept it close for awhile against a good Pitt team, and even led at the half. It was a pretty good scene inside too until they pulled away in the second half.

Unfortunately I do not have those on tape nor any highlights. I do remember the game vs pitt being on FS Pittsburgh. Don't remember if the Xavier game was on TV. Back then (haha) the game might be broadcast by the A10 syndicated network or the other school's local network and it was, at best, a 50/50 chance it would actually air here in Pittsburgh on FS Pittsburgh, PCNC or the Comcast Channel. I'm grateful that ESPN+ exists today to see all league games not on national TV.

Board footera