Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2020 6:32 pm  #1

Evan Buckley to leave Duquesne, will not continue playing basketball

3/30/2020 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Evan Buckley to leave Duquesne, will not continue playing basketball

Not sure why thought he was going to be a good fit in the program. Thought he’d form into a Jason Duty type player if he stayed all four years. Best of luck to him.

3/30/2020 6:40 pm  #3

I wish the best for his future, I cannot help but imagine both him and Ashton were shown the door. Buckley was a pleasure to watch, his confidence with the ball in his hands and ability to step up and play lockdown defense were my favorite things about his game. It's sad he won't be continuing his basketball career, but I'm sure he has a plan and will dedicate his heart to what he wants in life. His work ethic will bring him nothing but success with whatever he decides!

3/30/2020 7:50 pm  #4

This is not exactly shocking news.

Good fortune to Miller & Buckley.

With 2 LOIs available to be signed & the current squad members staying, I am hoping for 2 freshmen; a center & sharpshooting PG.

3/30/2020 7:57 pm  #5

phil95 wrote:

With 2 LOIs available to be signed & the current squad members staying, I am hoping for 2 freshmen; a center & sharpshooting PG.

There's only one spot available right now. We had 3 leave, plus Baylee. We have 3 coming in. One spot left as of now. We really don't have a good backup point guard.

3/30/2020 8:12 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

There's only one spot available right now. We had 3 leave, plus Baylee. We have 3 coming in. One spot left as of now. We really don't have a good backup point guard.

Did I miss a signing? Are you counting Dre Harris? I am all for that.

He would be a great pickup but, between the wonky way his season played out & the known prospects KD is chasing, he hardly seems a lock.

3/30/2020 9:14 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Is Tyson Acuff the heir apparent at the PG?  You may not think he is PG material but I am curious as to what KD has to say about him. 

"Tyson fits the mold of an athletic Atlantic 10-caliber guard," said Dambrot. "He's strong and physical and is also is a very good ballhandler. He has a pass-first mentality along with the ability to score when needed. He's been well-coached and it shows in the way he shares the basketball. He's one of those guys you like to play with because he understands the game."

Not sure that is PG but who knows.  I would guess a PG is one of the guys coming at the beginning of the 2021-22 when Sincere is a Senior. 

3/30/2020 9:23 pm  #8

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Is Tyson Acuff the heir apparent at the PG?  You may not think he is PG material but I am curious as to what KD has to say about him. 

"Tyson fits the mold of an athletic Atlantic 10-caliber guard," said Dambrot. "He's strong and physical and is also is a very good ballhandler. He has a pass-first mentality along with the ability to score when needed. He's been well-coached and it shows in the way he shares the basketball. He's one of those guys you like to play with because he understands the game."

Not sure that is PG but who knows.  I would guess a PG is one of the guys coming at the beginning of the 2021-22 when Sincere is a Senior. 

From what I've seen on video, I think Acuff has full potential to be a great A10 point guard. We'll find out come November I hope! (ugh)

3/31/2020 6:17 am  #9

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I'm worried about having a backup right now.

3/31/2020 7:39 am  #10

duq81 wrote:

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I'm worried about having a backup right now.

How do we get a good backup PG now?  No transfer will come here as we have a PG.  You can recruit one but its doubtful you find anyone as good as Acuff sitting around right now. 

3/31/2020 9:31 am  #11

It would be fantastic if Acuff is truly a PG.

I don't know what he did earlier in his career. I was able to watch 3 full Cass Tech games this season. While he was the team leader for sure & handled the ball plenty, there was an underclassman that was definitely the PG. That could easily have been a function of trying to have all the best players on the floor at the same time & utilizing Acuff's versatility. He certainly looked confident running point when he did.

Even if that is the case, I still think a backup point guard is in order. Wasn't Sin available at this time of his senior season? This recruit could be eased into the job & not need to be the man for 2 seasons.

3/31/2020 12:25 pm  #12

phil95 wrote:

I don't know what he did earlier in his career. I was able to watch 3 full Cass Tech games this season. While he was the team leader for sure & handled the ball plenty, there was an underclassman that was definitely the PG. That could easily have been a function of trying to have all the best players on the floor at the same time & utilizing Acuff's versatility. He certainly looked confident running point when he did.

Even if that is the case, I still think a backup point guard is in order. Wasn't Sin available at this time of his senior season? This recruit could be eased into the job & not need to be the man for 2 seasons.

In this day and age, who wants to sit for 2 years? Certainly not anyone who is any good. My guess is that TDM is the backup. Not the best solution, but may be all we have.

3/31/2020 12:36 pm  #13

I thought Acuff would be a scorer, so wouldnt limit him to PG duty.  SG or SF, get him the ball and let him score.   We need a scorer and Sin is here 2 more years, so we dont need a PG.   There will be at least 3 spots to recruit next year, get a PG for a year behind Sin, then let him have it afterwards.   

Hughes, Weathers, Maceo, Acuff, Sin.....thats a solid 5 IMO.   I expect a big jump in production from Maceo, fresh to soph more year is the big jump year.

Lastly, we're 6-7 months from ball, I fully expect there to be college hoops, if not, our country is in bad bad shape.  By then, there will be a 5 minute test for corona, and players can get tested before every game, and, at worst, play in front of no fans.   But games will be back.   
Heck, you can scan fan's temperatures and check blood oxygen levels at the gate in seconds, anything not normal, you dont get in.   That might become a standard until there is 100% vaccination.

3/31/2020 12:37 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

In this day and age, who wants to sit for 2 years? Certainly not anyone who is any good. My guess is that TDM is the backup. Not the best solution, but may be all we have.

Acuff is a combo guard who can play the 1, 2 or three.  He is listed on several sites as a PG, including ESPN.  He has played the point since he was a freshman.  He can dish, shoot, drive and rebound and is more than capable of playing the point but in my opinion will play all three slots.  He will see a lot of court time next year God willing.

Last edited by CLK (3/31/2020 12:43 pm)

3/31/2020 5:50 pm  #15

townsonkid wrote:

Hughes, Weathers, Maceo, Acuff, Sin.....thats a solid 5 IMO.   I expect a big jump in production from Maceo, fresh to soph more year is the big jump year.

I hope things get back to normal soon, so the young guys can work on their games. Having Acuff should light a fire under Maceo, and Lamar. If by chance either continues to struggle, Acuff could take some of their minutes. Competition is always good.

Board footera