Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2020 1:19 pm  #1

Sin Carry's Brother Commits To Duquesne

Mikey Bekelja 6'0 PG.  Not sure if he is on scholarship.

3/31/2020 1:26 pm  #2

Re: Sin Carry's Brother Commits To Duquesne

Sounds like he is on scholarship - reading the PSN article - not positive.

3/31/2020 1:44 pm  #3

I like this a lot.  I think it is good for Sincere.  I think it continues with the recruiting in Ohio which is nice.  And the big thing I think he stays and plays for (4) years which is something Duquesne needs to always try to do.  I mean things can always change but i seem him staying and developing over (4) total years or (5) if he redshirts.  I like this a lot at first glance.

3/31/2020 2:17 pm  #4

Here are a couple of videos.  One from his Senior year a Solon, and the second from his prep year

3/31/2020 2:24 pm  #5

Article mentions he joins 3 other guy in the class, including Harris.   Thats not possible, is it(for 13)?   

Current roster
1 Tavian Dunn-Martin
2 Marcus Weathers
3 Michael Hughes
4 Lamar Norman Jr.
5 Amari Kelly
6 Austin Rotroff
7 Sincere Carry
8 James Ellis
9 Maceo Austin
10 Jake Harper - scholarship?
11 Tyson Acuff
12 Jett Roesnig
13 Mike Bekelja
14 Dre Harris - TBD?

is anyone missing?

Last edited by townsonkid (3/31/2020 2:24 pm)

3/31/2020 2:29 pm  #6

Harper is a walk on

3/31/2020 2:50 pm  #7

ok, so there is one more spot open, could be Harris, might be someone else.   We dont know for sure, right?

3/31/2020 4:16 pm  #8

This is a fantastic surprise!!

3/31/2020 4:45 pm  #9

Here is a great video to get the heart pumping. It's called "Mike Bekelja x Sincere Carry, Best Backcourt in Ohio?" Sure has me excited!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R7NRdciz6I

3/31/2020 4:53 pm  #10

3/31/2020 5:24 pm  #11

BradDuq2008 wrote:

I like this a lot.  I think it is good for Sincere.  I think it continues with the recruiting in Ohio which is nice.  And the big thing I think he stays and plays for (4) years which is something Duquesne needs to always try to do.  I mean things can always change but i seem him staying and developing over (4) total years or (5) if he redshirts.  I like this a lot at first glance.

What it means that is more important than that, is that Sin won't likely be hitting the transfer portal this year, or next!!! Important in these crazy times.

With Baker coming, if this kid is on scholarship, that means that either Harris isn't coming, or someone else has to leave.

3/31/2020 6:17 pm  #12

I got a dollar to a donut that thus kid is a preferred walk-on!

3/31/2020 6:33 pm  #13

grammudder wrote:

Yes I wouldn’t be shocked either. Maybe a guy who could win a schollie down the road...maybe not though. Who else was recruiting him?

3/31/2020 6:47 pm  #14

Duques102 wrote:

grammudder wrote:

Yes I wouldn’t be shocked either. Maybe a guy who could win a schollie down the road...maybe not though. Who else was recruiting him?

Would be nice not to have to spend a scholarship on him.

3/31/2020 7:06 pm  #15

I hope he is on scholarship so all you ridiculous cynics would have to deal with it.  I certainly have not seen anything on any site to indicate he is not on a full ride.

3/31/2020 7:13 pm  #16

Duques102 wrote:

grammudder wrote:

He plays like the second coming of Mike Iuzzolino. Good job, coach Dambrot. This kid plays like a winner! 

3/31/2020 7:13 pm  #17

kcc173 wrote:

I hope he is on scholarship so all you ridiculous cynics would have to deal with it.  I certainly have not seen anything on any site to indicate he is not on a full ride.

I am certainly not criticizing this kid or being cynical. It was more of posing a thought. Pretty sure Kratholm or Krivacevic was in that situation a couple years ago. I didn’t see any offers, or him being rated at all. We have seen KD be rather creative with roster construction in the past so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see something similar. That is all. I hope he’s great!

3/31/2020 7:16 pm  #18

According to the PSN article (link below) he is on scholarship.  I remember when Sin committed some thought he was a walk on.  I believe after digging a little deeper, that Mike will also surprise a lot of the skeptics. 

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/03/31/duquesne-gets-commitment-from-guard-mikey-bekelja-sincere-carrys-brother/

3/31/2020 7:49 pm  #19

CLK wrote:

According to the PSN article (link below) he is on scholarship.  I remember when Sin committed some thought he was a walk on.  I believe after digging a little deeper, that Mike will also surprise a lot of the skeptics. 

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/03/31/duquesne-gets-commitment-from-guard-mikey-bekelja-sincere-carrys-brother/

The articles definitely don't treat him like a preferred walk-on.

Did anyone see any stats for 2019-20? Does that program maybe have several teams like IMG?

3/31/2020 9:40 pm  #20

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeBekelja1/status/1243929621231517698

From his Twitter. Team had some other D1 players on it. Pretty good numbers. As a high prep member, probably played good teams which means a lot of run and gun hoops.

Last edited by HookShot (3/31/2020 9:42 pm)

3/31/2020 10:28 pm  #21

HookShot wrote:

From his Twitter. Team had some other D1 players on it. Pretty good numbers. As a high prep member, probably played good teams which means a lot of run and gun hoops.

That Tweet with the stats was why I asked the question above about there being multiple squads. There were some serious players in their program this season. If he put up those numbers while playing with those heavyweights it seems like schools would have been all over him.

4/01/2020 9:38 am  #22

phil95 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

That Tweet with the stats was why I asked the question above about there being multiple squads. There were some serious players in their program this season. If he put up those numbers while playing with those heavyweights it seems like schools would have been all over him.

Many of these prep schools have a high schools team and a post graduate team.  Bekelja is from post graduate teams, while Harris & Baker are on HS squads.   

Last edited by CLK (4/01/2020 1:03 pm)

4/01/2020 12:46 pm  #23

This is all very interesting and I wish I had some inside scoop, but I don't.  I also think that our boy at PSN knows something that we don't given his comment that he wouldn't be surprised to see more movement.  I for one would like to see Harris still come, but not at the expense of Ellis - unless Ellis is not making the necessary commitment required of a DI athlete.  Who knows we may all be surprised.  Did anyone know about Sin's brother or Baker - don't think so.  It will certainly be interesting 4 sure. 

4/01/2020 4:53 pm  #24

CLK wrote:

phil95 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

Many of these prep schools have a high schools team and a post graduate team.  Bekelja is from post graduate teams, while Harris & Baker are on HS squads.   

Baker was on a post-grad team as well!

4/01/2020 9:20 pm  #25

Sounds a lot like the comments about TJ when Ron offered him as a sophomore. Same folks had friggin’ kittens when he left. Let Coach Dambrot judge the talent. Please.

Board footera