Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2020 2:09 pm  #26

Re: Chad Baker Commits To Duquesne

4/01/2020 2:24 pm  #27

Serious Question:  What am I missing here with this kid and Sincere’s brother.  This isn’t the MAC - I didn’t see where there are other strong schools recruiting these guys.  It’s like we are throwing the pasta against the wall (I am Italian - I can say that) and hope it sticks.  We know what we have for next year - but how about in two years -  these two picks kind of remind me of Miller and Buckley who are leaving - nice kids - maybe they will pan out - but they aren’t going to push us to the top 20.  Not being negative - would like folks to dispute my opinion with facts so I feel better!!!

Last edited by FAM (4/01/2020 2:25 pm)

4/01/2020 3:44 pm  #28

I think the brother will be a decent backup to the starters. Smart coachable
and hard working.  I also think the brother is a way to keep SC at DU for the
next two years.
I see the other recruit as a developmental project.  Perhaps a red shirt candidate
depending on injuries and the progress of the returning players.

4/01/2020 3:51 pm  #29

So then, these two aren’t going to push us ahead - just status quo and hope the pasta sticks.

4/01/2020 4:01 pm  #30

I think ti depends how bad they want to play.   I think Baker has all the talent to be a strong A10 player.   Thinking of him and Acuff reaching their potential is nice.   Sin's brother is probably what Buckley was, depth, someone who might be a good defender, ball handler late in games, maybe he can shoot FTs....that valuable if you ask me.    Obviously, we all want Rosenig to make the 3s, hopefully he can shoot FTs as well.   Looks like he can handle the ball.   
If any of Rotroff, Kelly or Ellis would  like to take a leap forward, that would be really nice too. 

4/01/2020 4:02 pm  #31

Only one basketball and a limited number of minutes.
Someone has to be the bench.
I hope the last two recruits push the starters. Especially SC's brother.
I would imagine they played a significant amount of one on one.

4/01/2020 4:06 pm  #32

Maybe they are not an upgrade or maybe they turn out to be another M. hughes, Weathers, TDM, E. Williams or Sin Carry who were MAC recruits or less.

Last edited by WashPaRick (4/01/2020 4:07 pm)

4/01/2020 4:11 pm  #33

FAM wrote:

So then, these two aren’t going to push us ahead - just status quo and hope the pasta sticks.

Oh Brother. Yes FAM the coaches are real idiots that like to throw pasta.

Look at both positions. 

I believe that despite a rough last half of the season last year Maceo will be a star and be around for three more years.  He has all the tools.  Going into the season it was clear that we need to provide a capable back up to Maceo at the SF position.  Someone that could provide 10 to 15 minutes of good defense, and hit open shots.  I would have preferred to have had a grad transfer.  But it seems the coaches have been following Baker for months and believe he can provide that, and had a big upside potential.

Also the coaches have known and followed Mike Bekelja for the last three years. I have watched just about every video I can find, and I see so many similarities with him and Sin.  He had back to back triple doubles in prep school.  I don't care if it is HS or prep or CYO that is special.

I believe these coaches know what the are doing and not throwing pasta. 

4/01/2020 4:23 pm  #34

Watch yourself Fam, how dare you question the coaching staff on their selections of recruits on the basketball blog. Before you know it, you are going to be told to shut up, you are stupid, dumb and uneducated. Where do you get the right to talk jibberish and make ludicrous comments. Just ribbing you in good fun.

Something I learned about twelve years ago when refereeing a top notch AAU tournament. I was asked by Huggins and Boeheim prior to a game to watch the coaches for the upcoming game I was going to referee. I told them no problem. During the game I was looking for these two coaches but nowhere to be found. So afterward I went outside for some air and out of nowhere they pop out and asked how the coaches of the AAU teams behaved. I told them they were fine gentleman. I then said, do you mind if I asked you some questions and they so go ahead. First I asked where were you during the game, Huggins replied I went to go get a six pack and Boeheim said he went for a sandwich. They proceeded to tell me the assistant coaches do most of the recruiting and when at a AAU tournament they basically wave hi at the beginning of the game and bye at the end of the game unless it's a live period and then they can go talk to the players and coaches. I asked why I was watching the coaches and both of them replied that they were going to recommend them and find them a job as a package deal. We then talked a little longer about recruiting. The nugget that I came away with was, besides the can't miss prospects, (and they miss at times) the players that are role players on division 1 teams and good players at lower divisions the difference is a fine line if any difference at all. So, therefore I never judge an incoming recruit based on all the recruiting hype and just watch them play. Perfect example is this year Obi from Dayton wasn't recruited heavily and look what he accomplished.

4/01/2020 4:54 pm  #35

Thanks Wildwood!  LOL. I forgot that all coaches make perfect decisions and to question is a mortal or venial sin.  Not that the coaches would recruit anyone who would only stay one year and leave...or two years and leave...or other situations.  I forgot this was a board where one should not  discuss things unless everyone agrees ...my bad.  Oh well, I guess I learned my lesson!  I will never question anything again.  (Sounds like someone needs to get out of the house...or take a nap - CLK.)

Last edited by FAM (4/01/2020 4:57 pm)

4/01/2020 5:10 pm  #36

CLK, I agree with you. In the videos online the similarities between Bekelja and Carry are uncanny. Same dribbling, demeanor, finishing at the hoop, turnaround midrange jumpers, they obviously have been coached the same things and worked hard together to accomplish their goals. The addition to him on the team is something I am extremely excited for. As for the other ones questioning the players we brought in, I don't see anything wrong with doing analysis and questioning their skill, but comments like "So, they're not going to push us ahead" are unnecessary. You're just saying that and have no idea what will really happen. I think Chad Brown will probably redshirt based on the full games I have watched, but like mentioned earlier his ceiling is, pun intended, through the roof. 

4/01/2020 5:32 pm  #37

BluffHunter wrote:

CLK, I agree with you. In the videos online the similarities between Bekelja and Carry are uncanny. Same dribbling, demeanor, finishing at the hoop, turnaround midrange jumpers, they obviously have been coached the same things and worked hard together to accomplish their goals. The addition to him on the team is something I am extremely excited for. As for the other ones questioning the players we brought in, I don't see anything wrong with doing analysis and questioning their skill, but comments like "So, they're not going to push us ahead" are unnecessary. You're just saying that and have no idea what will really happen. I think Chad Brown will probably redshirt based on the full games I have watched, but like mentioned earlier his ceiling is, pun intended, through the roof. 

Bekleja looks to be a real hard nosed kid, great handle, excellent court vision, and a high shooting percentage.  I take some of that pasta.  I remember some of the self anointed experts questioning our signing of Carry.  I am amazed at the constant negativity by certain people. They make comments with implications (not questions) that Dambrot and staff don't know what they are doing and then couch it with "I am not trying to be negative".

4/01/2020 5:45 pm  #38

4/01/2020 6:24 pm  #39

I'll lay this to rest - I can question what I want - that is what this board is for - I personally never questioned  the signing of Carry but guess what, it's okay whomever did.  No one was attacked - some of you need to get thicker skin and stop personalizing everything.  Obviously...through all the muck...the opinions of some of you - which is fine - is that some players are chosen not to be starters - but as back-ups - and the hope is to push others - sounds good to me -  I'm just not as smart as many of you in terms of my concern with recruiting two kids that weren't recruited heavily by other coaches - pardon me if I believe to get to the top 20 - we need to recruit and land those kids that are highly rated players, as "usually" (but not always - does that make you feel better) as evidenced by being sought after by many teams.  Just a fact.  God Bless everyone in this difficult time.

Last edited by FAM (4/01/2020 6:30 pm)

4/01/2020 7:10 pm  #40

FAM, I will also put this to rest.  People are certainly free on this board to question, criticize or make whatever  kind of comment they want.  Conversely people are also free to call out what they think is irrational negative comments (not questions or valid discussions) towards player coaches and recruits..  Nothing personal.

4/01/2020 7:29 pm  #41

CLK wrote:

FAM, I will also put this to rest.  People are certainly free on this board to question, criticize or make whatever  kind of comment they want.  Conversely people are also free to call out what they think is irrational negative comments (not questions or valid discussions) towards player coaches and recruits..  Nothing personal.

I agree it's ok to question, and it's ok to challenge opinions as well. A few posters got bent out of shape because things they posted were challenged. I participate on quite few message boards, and lurk at many more. This board is mild compared to most. The one thing we don't want to put up with is name calling. Some have gotten a bit of a long leash here because they're liked by some of the administrators, but going forward, name calling isn't going to be tolerated. Name calling is the province of people who don't know how to debate. It's not hard to make your point without calling people stupid, or morons.

4/02/2020 2:43 pm  #42

CLK wrote:

Dukes412 wrote:

Has anyone heard anything on Andre Harris? If he’s coming does James Ellis leave? If this was to occur might be inheriting another player with academic issues.

I am curious why you think he has academic issues?  He had an eligibility issues for one month before he was reinstated and finished the season with Hillcrest Prep, but it was my understanding it was over high school eligibility time frame. You only get so many months of HS eligibility. Since he transferred from Compton Prep mid season there was a question that was resolved.  Maybe I am wrong, but I never saw there was an academic issues.

Also BluffHunter I still question Vuckovan comment about the Spring Signing Period being canceled. 

Must have misspoke it was eligibility issues and not academic. That’s good hope he still signs.

Board footera