Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2020 10:13 am  #1

Maybe patience with our recruiting

After stirring the pot with my worrisome for our recruiting, I got to reading and reflecting about this subject. Most of us are over 50 years old on this board. Some of us want a quick turnaround in four years, some want to stand by the coach through thick and thin no matter what because we want us to win in the worst way. Maybe it does take longer than four years to turnaround a program.

Maybe it takes the coaching staff a few years to figure out what type of player wants to play at Duquesne. It also my take the staff a few years to determine what type of athlete they need to compete in the A10.

Here is my reasoning. Ferry who I did not like as a coach for many reasons spent five years on the Bluff. His first few recruiting classes were absolutely horrendous . But you have to admit the players he brought in the last two years were A10 players. Transfers Castro and Smith. Recruits I. Mike, M. Lewis and S. Littleton have shown they could play at this level by what they achieved at their new schools.  (Exception being Lewis never played anywhere else, but we can agree he belonged in the A10). The last class he signed but never made it to the Bluff, D. Banks, J. Wheeler and J.Walker have had moderate success at the collegiant level at various levels of division schools.

We also have to remember that during Ferry's last two years, that Is when the new AD and President came on board. Those two fine gentleman have made a major commitment to our basketball program. So maybe for those of us that are worried about the recruiting/retention of new players may have to be a little more patient. Once the new building is completed and the winning ways continue, we maybe able to upgrade our recruiting and the retention rate will increase.

No disrespect to this years roster, because as I previously stated, I do not judge freshman until I see them play. Maceo can be a star. Carry shows he has it, Norman has progressed nicely and his other classmates have been injured to have an honest evaluation.You add the three transfer seniors who are men, have shown they definitely are in the top of the league. Ellis is a wild card, because we really don't know what he can do and hasn't played in two years.

So maybe patience is in order.

4/03/2020 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Maybe patience with our recruiting

If Ferry had brought in the caliber of player he got his last two years, during his first two years, he might have won enough to keep his job. He may have misjudged the caliber of player needed to win in the A10. This was a major problem with Scott Edgar. Carroll left him a great nucleus, but the players he brought in to add to the mix were for the most part, not good enough to play in the A10.

4/03/2020 12:38 pm  #3

I do think both RE and JF had a career trajectory changing injury on what should have been their best teams with Melquon and Jeremiah both being out for the season. I think RE's team was easily an NIT and a very good chance of dancing with Melq. I think the prospects for the JF team were a little lesser but still a very good chance to hit the NIT. I think  both of those guys hold their jobs longer if those seasons don't get derailed like that.

4/03/2020 3:30 pm  #4

Wildwood -You need to stir - if everyone thinks the same we have bigger issues than some folks getting angry over differing opinions.- nothing wrong with hoping to get the best players out there!   BTW - I totally agree when it comes to Ferry.  The biggest thing I disliked was he never wanted to take responsibility.  He liked to blame the players a lot -heck, he was the one who recruited them.  Dambrot always takes responsibility - sees what needs to be done before games - and works on fixing the issues.  Go Dukes!

4/03/2020 4:39 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

If Ferry had brought in the caliber of player he got his last two years, during his first two years, he might have won enough to keep his job. He may have misjudged the caliber of player needed to win in the A10. This was a major problem with Scott Edgar. Carroll left him a great nucleus, but the players he brought in to add to the mix were for the most part, not good enough to play in the A10.

Yeah that was big knock against Edgar, Kevin Price and  Tom Pipkins as upper classmen and he couldn't win ten games.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (4/03/2020 4:39 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/03/2020 7:02 pm  #6

Edger was a disaster; also had Mike James and Nick Bosnic along with The others.

4/03/2020 7:28 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

Edger was a disaster; also had Mike James and Nick Bosnic along with The others.

Edgar had Bosnic, Price, and James for all three years, and Pipkins for his first two. How can you not win more than 11 games with that? Mike James spent over a decade in the NBA, and while he wasn't a star, he wasn't an end of the bench guy for most of those years either. Pipkins, and Price were the top two scorers in WPIAL history, and Bosnic was good enough to be signed by Maryland. Looking back, I understand why John Carroll was fired, but after BC sabotaged his program with that stupid MCC move, he probably should have been given a couple more years. I don't think Carroll was a great coach, but I guarantee you that we would have never fallen into the abyss had he stayed here. He brought solid talent in while he was here.

4/03/2020 10:47 pm  #8

levon1975 wrote:

Thanks, I was trying to remember the other guy, Bosnic (and I accidentally deleted Mike James from the comment without realizing it)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera