Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 8:35 pm  #51

Re: Toby Okani Commits to Duquesne

kcc173 wrote:

4 leaving
  Steele
  Buckley
  Miller
  F. Hughes

I forgot about Buckley.

4/11/2020 9:20 pm  #52

i would be absolutley shocked if Austin were to transfer.Dambrot loves this guy,hes smart coachable and
his best player he has ever recruited.

4/11/2020 11:06 pm  #53

stew wrote:

i would be absolutley shocked if Austin were to transfer.Dambrot loves this guy,hes smart coachable and

I would only be shocked if KD & Maceo parted ways because of a personal rift or bad behaviour. They seem like a perfect fit to do great things together.

The kid's world got rocked less than 6 months ago. Who knows what toll that will take?

4/11/2020 11:42 pm  #54

kcc173 wrote:

4 leaving
  Steele
  Buckley
  Miller
  F. Hughes

Once the Harris signing is complete (or not) the roster will then fall into place. Harris is signing and there will be 5 names on this list and one preferred walk-on whose name I have not seen on this board's discussion regarding this matter. Feel free to ignore this  submission as I am an old man who knows what he does't know.

4/12/2020 10:14 am  #55

stew wrote:

I heard we are two over, and now fully believe and am operating under that assumption. The name I heard is not Maceo or any other big contributor. Do not want to disclose until official.

That said, it’s sounds like there will be one more name, and that name could still be anyone. I just hope we get Harris and keep all the core guys.

I guess the other scenario still possible would actually be us losing 1 guy and Harris going elsewhere.

Last edited by Duques102 (4/12/2020 10:16 am)

4/12/2020 12:16 pm  #56

Is Sincere's brother on scholarship, or could he be the preferred walk on? I could see him being promised a scholarship next year when more are available, while he depended on a Pell grant, and other aid to reduce the financial burden for this season. As he really didn't have any high level offers, he might have been open to this arrangement.

4/12/2020 12:56 pm  #57

Phil 95 - your last sentence is what I thought about.  I hope he stays.  But at times, where these kids are when a tragedy strikes serves as a reminder of that situation.  Sometimes they leave to start over from top to bottom.  If he would leave, I would be saddened but one could understand if he wants to just shake off the past in every way he can and start again.  He seems like one of the nicest kids on the team and can be a Great Role Model for Others.  Let's hope he isn't even in a mix of thinking about leaving.  God Bless Everyone and Have a Happy and Blessed Easter

Last edited by FAM (4/12/2020 12:58 pm)

4/12/2020 2:45 pm  #58

I'm a little perplexed by this concern over Okani going to three different schools in three years. Just to be clear, he transferred from his local public high school, West Orange, after his junior year, to a Catholic high school two towns away in Newark, St. Benedict's, which just happens to have a nationally-regarded basketball program and pretty strong academics too. He received a high school diploma from St. Benedict's last year, then attended Cushing Academy, a boarding school in Massachusetts, for a post-graduate year. Kids make moves like this because they have the opportunity to better themselves athletically and academically and increase their chances of securing a Division I scholarship. As for Okani, he averaged just 6 points per game as a junior at West Orange, made honorable mention all-conference after making second team all conference the year before. I doubt he had Big 10 or even Atlantic 10 programs offering him at that point. After a year at St. Benedict's that all changed. Duquesne offered him last summer, so did Minnesota. Another year at prep school may not have raised his profile any further, but it can't have been a bad thing for his development or his studies. We'll be getting a player who should be well-prepared for the rigors of Atlantic 10 basketball AND Duquesne academics. If you think signing true freshmen who haven't seen top high school competition and have never lived away from home before is the way to build this program, then you might want to look at our recent recruiting failures to see how that strategy's worked out. 

4/12/2020 3:25 pm  #59

duq81 wrote:

Is Sincere's brother on scholarship, or could he be the preferred walk on? I could see him being promised a scholarship next year when more are available, while he depended on a Pell grant, and other aid to reduce the financial burden for this season. As he really didn't have any high level offers, he might have been open to this arrangement.

Slam Dunk

4/12/2020 3:50 pm  #60

apluski wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Slam Dunk

I suggested this in the thread about his commitment and was given some grief for it. I heard we are two over though and wouldn’t that mean he’s on a ride?

4/12/2020 9:44 pm  #61

Duques102 wrote:

apluski wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Slam Dunk

I suggested this in the thread about his commitment and was given some grief for it. I heard we are two over though and wouldn’t that mean he’s on a ride?

No one official has said we're two over, just us fans. If indeed he's not on scholarship, then it basically comes down to this; either Harris isn't coming, which would leave us at the limit of 13, or he is coming, which will require one more departure. I think we'll know this week.

4/13/2020 2:32 am  #62

duq81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

apluski wrote:

Slam Dunk

No one official has said we're two over, just us fans. If indeed he's not on scholarship, then it basically comes down to this; either Harris isn't coming, which would leave us at the limit of 13, or he is coming, which will require one more departure. I think we'll know this week.

Right on point if I may say.  Harris is coming unless something  unforeseen transpires, in which case, the expected fifth player transfers--a bitter pill for me and some members of this board.

4/13/2020 8:11 am  #63

We need Will Hunting to figure out our roster every year.

http://i.imgur.com/dqpERF2.jpg

Board footera