Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2020 2:37 pm  #1

Mounir Hima commits to Duquesne - 6'11 Center

6'11 Center from St. Benedicts Prep

5/08/2020 2:39 pm  #2

Re: Mounir Hima commits to Duquesne - 6'11 Center

Don't know how our roster will play out - but this class seems pretty exciting! 

BREAKING:
#Duquesne gets commitment from 2020 big man Mounir Hima. Also had offers from URI, St. Bona, VCU, UMASS and RMU. Big get for the Dukes

Mounir[color=#14171a] Hima[/color] (@HimaMounir) who is currently a senior, has told me that UMass, Rhode Island, Duquesne, Iona, and St. Peters are high on his list. Texas A&M offered him a visit but got cancelled amid the coronavirus. He will be committing in a month or so. He is an athletic center.

5/08/2020 3:26 pm  #3

Are you kidding me?  Hima  has a 7'8" wingspan.

5/08/2020 3:29 pm  #4

My God what an unbelievably great recruiting class!

5/08/2020 3:37 pm  #5

5/08/2020 3:40 pm  #6

At this point tDU is 3 over scholarship limit if Hima is on scholarship.  Hard to think he is not given the offers he had

5/08/2020 3:44 pm  #7

5/08/2020 4:16 pm  #8

Wow, I am impressed with this class as well.  The video does show his athleticism, which is critical in today's game.  Also his touch around the basket and good hands are evident.  We don't know for sure, but it is so refreshing to believe we now only recruit good (or at least serviceable) bigs when I think of some of the ones that passed through these parts before KD.  Again, extremely impressed and this gets the speculation cooking even more as to who is leaving or who of the new guys, or someone already on the roster, pays their own way or has some academic deal..............gonna be very, very interesting boys.

5/08/2020 4:44 pm  #9

Just to bring this down a notch in terms of expectations Hima is a developing player.  He played in only 11 games this year at St. Benedict's  averaging 5 points and 5 rebounds. He only played in one game his junior year. Steve Keller from National Recruiting Report wrote this:

"Think the Dukes are going to be happy with getting Hima. He has legit length & good speed & lift/Shows some aggression/Will take a year or two but plenty of upside for tough Atlantic 10"

5/08/2020 4:51 pm  #10

Duquesne is fielding two teams this year.

Team Red consists of the 13 returning players.

Team Blue consists of the 13 members of the Class of 2020.

Both will make the NCAA Tournament this year. 

And St. Bonaventure fans are melting down like a Hershey Bar on the dashboard of a car with no AC driving through the Mojave Desert in mid-August.

It's a great time to be a Duquesne fan.

5/08/2020 5:09 pm  #11

I went on one site that had his stats, but it showed stats for only 22 games with no stats for 1/2 the games. I'm guessing no stats were reported for these games? And on top of that the team played like 35 games?
Can't find much elsewhere but maybe someone has assess to certain paid sites that have this info or can find it better that me?

Got to wander if some of these kids could be on a deal like Ellis had, being a non-qualifier for year one but enrolled and under some type of needs based financial aid?
And maybe some are non-scholarship people as well?
Only time will tell? Summer classes online only, so will the numbers game not count until everyone enrolls?

5/08/2020 7:52 pm  #12

How well does he shoot the three?  It would be good if he could step outside the arc and bury a few.  St. Joe's had a player from Eastern Europe who could do that.

5/08/2020 8:42 pm  #13

Give him a year behind MH and others and get him some minutes each game and after 1/1/2 years in the system look out.  I like how he catches the ball and can not only dunk, but bank shots in from around the basket.  He will be a defensive presence right out of the gate as well with that reach.  if he can get 6 min a game as a freshman I'd be happy.  I personally don't care about him shooting 3's Bilgy, we should probably have enough guys now that can do that.  I think we are more in need of someone who can score from the low post after HM and MW graduate. AHarris and hopefully Rotroff and Kelly can help down low as well.  In any event I keep getting more excited about next year.  Let's get some effective treatments for COVID 19 so we can all go and watch our Dukes live this season!!!!

5/08/2020 9:06 pm  #14

I was not expecting another commitment but wow! First of all it is great to get a player that many A10 programs were hoping for... especially teams such as VCU URI and SBU. Next... 7'8 wingspan??? I don't think we'll see any shortage of blocks in the coming seasons. That's the same length as Osunniyi's. It's also great that we are getting two players that have played in high school together with Hima and Okani, and that's also similar to Lofton and Ossuniyi at Bonaventure. I'm very impressed with the amount of personal relationships between players on this team: TDM and Hughes from Akron to DU, Carry & Bekelja, Kelly and his cousin Cole-Williams, and now these former high school teammates. The comaraderie on this team last year was fantastic to watch and I'm excited to see it grow. Sports are coming back slowly it seems now, and Monday will be the first day NBA teams were able to have optional workouts if their state is permitting it, although Adam Silver said the decision whether the NBA season will be restarting will not be made anytime soon. I think college athletics will be slightly behind professional sports when it comes to everything getting going again, but if sports are happening the NCAA will do anything it can to play cause they want that $$$ too. I'm super excited for this freshman class and need the season to come faster, welcome to the bluff Mounir!

5/08/2020 9:58 pm  #15

Okay, I’ll ask what others are thinking... going out on a limb... waiting for someone to say don’t... who is not coming back???  Will it be one extremely tall player who rarely got in a game?  Will it be a guy who was injured but played this year?  Will there be two squads in a breakthrough new rules season from the NCAA?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Go Dukes!

5/09/2020 12:26 am  #16

FAM wrote:

Okay, I’ll ask what others are thinking... going out on a limb... waiting for someone to say don’t... who is not coming back??? Will it be one extremely tall player who rarely got in a game? Will it be a guy who was injured but played this year? Will there be two squads in a breakthrough new rules season from the NCAA? Inquiring minds want to know! Go Dukes!

I get the feeling that some of the folks who are happy today, won't be when they find out who's leaving.

5/09/2020 2:32 am  #17

duq81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Okay, I’ll ask what others are thinking... going out on a limb... waiting for someone to say don’t... who is not coming back??? Will it be one extremely tall player who rarely got in a game? Will it be a guy who was injured but played this year? Will there be two squads in a breakthrough new rules season from the NCAA? Inquiring minds want to know! Go Dukes!

I get the feeling that some of the folks who are happy today, won't be when they find out who's leaving.

What is the policy of speculation on this topic?? What do we think is going on behind the scenes?? In my opinion it's already assumed that Buckley and Miller would have stayed on the team if they could have. How many players is a coach going to force off a team in a year because 2 is already a lot. The next problem to some people is this happening year after year. Is coach just being cutthroat and taking charge for the better good of the program overall, or is it a problem that a part of the team leaves each season? To me, you should have projects and if you just get rid of them after one year that is a waste, but turnover of the end of the bench isn't a bad thing when it comes to wins and losses. As Ironduke81 says, "Keep the core the Dukes will roar" and that will always be the case. Now we just hope the major parts of the core don't leave. 

5/09/2020 7:21 am  #18

Since everyone here is guessing, and have no knowledge of the facts maybe just wait and find out what the coaches already know!

5/09/2020 7:37 am  #19

BluffHunter wrote:

duq81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

What is the policy of speculation on this topic?? What do we think is going on behind the scenes?? In my opinion it's already assumed that Buckley and Miller would have stayed on the team if they could have. How many players is a coach going to force off a team in a year because 2 is already a lot. The next problem to some people is this happening year after year. Is coach just being cutthroat and taking charge for the better good of the program overall, or is it a problem that a part of the team leaves each season? To me, you should have projects and if you just get rid of them after one year that is a waste, but turnover of the end of the bench isn't a bad thing when it comes to wins and losses. As Ironduke81 says, "Keep the core the Dukes will roar" and that will always be the case. Now we just hope the major parts of the core don't leave. 

I think what's worrying folks is that we've reached the number of recruits that indicates that the core may not be kept intact. Now maybe these moves may turn out for the best long term, but the team we had is quite good, and the prospect of resetting the clock to benefit things down the road is not appealing to those of us who've been waiting 50 years for a good team. Some of us are getting quite long in the tooth, and we know that the grim reaper could make a house call sooner rather than later. We want to win now.

5/09/2020 8:08 am  #20

Levon1975 - Because that isn't fun and that is what fan boards are for...guessing, second guessing, asking questions, and sharing thoughts, worries, confusion, and helping each other worry!!!  I will not mention names...

There are 4 no matter what starters - we know that 3 of them will be back - my "worry" is for that 4th starter.  If that does happen it Will set us back...but alas...time will tell...It was the best of times...it was the worst of times...

Last edited by FAM (5/09/2020 8:11 am)

5/09/2020 8:26 am  #21

I get that speculating and tossing out one’s opinions makes these boards fun for some. But when the stuff being  thrown around may end up being unfounded criticism of the coach, include guesses about college kids, or both, I don’t get it. I don’t follow the recruiting as close as some on here so maybe I’m wrong. But all we know right now is 3 guys are leaving early. Yeah from the size of the incoming class more must be. Then again I’ve never been sure who all is on scholarship or who coming in might not be. But anyway, of the 3 known to be leaving, nothing jumps out to say anyone was forced out. I hate using the known guys and guessing because we don’t know the full story of anyone. But of the 3, 1 missed the last season and has 1 year left and 1 supposedly isn’t looking  to play anywhere. To use that to criticize coach for being cutthroat doesn’t seem fair. I’m not for forcing out a guy who wants to stay, and isn’t a problem. But  I see a difference between that and a coach being honest with a player about where he stands and letting him make a decision on what’s best for him. Maybe that’s all that happened with the 3rd guy.

5/09/2020 9:17 am  #22

FAM wrote:

Levon1975 - Because that isn't fun and that is what fan boards are for...guessing, second guessing, asking questions, and sharing thoughts, worries, confusion, and helping each other worry!!!  I will not mention names...

There are 4 no matter what starters - we know that 3 of them will be back - my "worry" is for that 4th starter.  If that does happen it Will set us back...but alas...time will tell...It was the best of times...it was the worst of times...

I've said this many times, and I'm tired of saying it, so here goes one more time.

Because speculation can drive a kid away from the program. Kid sees his name mentioned every time a new name is added, he's going to feel unwelcome and unwanted. I know yinz all want to to kick these kids around like they're a commodity, but they're not. They're human beings with feelings and families with feelings.

I've seen names thrown out there of guys we NEED next season if we want to be successful, and I think, you are one big dumbass to try to sabotage a program of which you claim to be a fan. 

But rather than go through the angst of watching this crap go on -- AGAIN -- I will sign off for the time being again (that includes the FB version of this too). If a player elects to leave or of the staff thinks the program and kid would be better served by an exit, then so be it. But there are a jillion names in the transfer portal and a lot of kids who had dreams of playing college basketball at a high level. Wishing a kid to be there -- one you've allegedly been rooting for -- seems disingenuous to me.

Our fan base has a really cruddy reputation. There are good, loyal fans, but there are others who treat the program like they're watching 90-Day Fiancé.

I'll talk to the good ones on Twitter. Rest of yinz, I'm outta here. 

5/09/2020 9:34 am  #23

I agree though I believe the young men are aware of what is happening.
They have the same resources we have--cells, internet, laptops--plus
KD and staff have probably spoke to them about message boards.
Hopefully, the young men laugh at all the nonsense written.

5/09/2020 9:44 am  #24

Lots of great points above. At the end of the day we don't know what is going to happen and all we can do is hope it works out for us. We're all anxious about losing members of the team because we know people have to go, and no matter who it is it's not going to be something we enjoy. 

5/09/2020 10:12 am  #25

Steel I agree with your perspective and I will expand even further. El D I know you have been a loyal and long time follower of our Dukes, but this is the world of college bball today - and if may even get worse/different if the immediate transfer eligibility option gets adopted.  Anyway, the coaches and kids on the roster are already ahead of us in terms of what they know.  All of these kids recruited at this level where HS stars of some sort and believe they can perform at the next level, but then they find out maybe its not so easy.  Some want to play and not ride the bench so they transfer.  My belief is KD is up front and honest with the kids about what he sees and his job is to continue to raise the program to a top tier A10 level with frequent post season appearances.  He should and will continue to endeavor to bring in better and better players.  That is how it works once you start tasting success and the reputation of the program is enhanced.  Moreover, like it or not this is a "message/chat board" with rabid fans who should be able to speculate about who comes or goes without feeling like they have to be so guarded about mentioning names.  Again, just saying this guy may leave or stay is not inappropriate and the players and coaches already know what is what and my view is they are quite use to this in today's world - twitter, snap chat etc.  As long as no one is personally attacked, for example "this guy sucks" type of wording I am ok with saying who may stay or leave.  Let's be honest, everyone can see how many bigs, how many guards are presently still on the roster and feel free to extrapolate from there.  Does anyone really think 6 true guards are going to be on the roster on opening day so to speak?  Not me.  Does anyone think that beyond MH and Marcus we are going to have Ellis, Rotroff, Harris, Kelly and now Hima??? My question, and Iron Duke and I have discussed (along with others), is are all the new guys on full scholarship?  If just one of them is paying their own way or has some other tuition deal then only two of the existing guys would not be on the roster next year.  If they all are on scholie then can one of the current players get some financial aid deal?  Who knows?  I remember when my nephew and niece decided to go to DU, one is still in school, and they had good grades coming out of HS and DU threw a good bit of money at them so there are ways to get the cost way down.  Miller and Buckley saw the writing on the wall with 3 new guards coming in and decided to leave and i am sure had conversations with KD about it.  Hell, Buckley decided that BBall was really not in his future so he made a commendable and mature decision to not even play elsewhere - I give the kid a lot of credit.  So if anyone wants to speculate who may leave or stay have at it.  To be perfectly honest, as Iron Duke has said "keep the core and the Dukes will soar" is right on point.  If that occurs with the talent and depth we now have I see nothing but great things ahead!!!  Go Dukes.    

Board footera