Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2013 7:07 pm  #226

Re: Recruiting

ESPN picked top 5 A-10 recruits with Watkins coming in at number 5.

4/21/2013 2:35 pm  #227

In case anybody still cares...

Pittsburgh Nation‏@PITTnation13h#
Pitt basketball prospect Jon Severe to decide Wednesday between Pitt WVU Wake Forest and Fordham. Never visited Pitt so does not look good.

Christ the King’s Severe moves up decision: Jon Severe, the city’s top senior and New York State’s Mr. Basketball, has moved up his college announcement, from May 22 to Wednesday, he said.

The 6-foot-2 standout from Brooklyn will pick between Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Wake Forest and Fordham, Christ the King coach Joe Arbitello said, in a press conference Wednesday at the Queens school at 2:30 p.m.

“I thought he was solid with the date May 22, then when he told me wanted to change it, I was surprised,” Arbitello said. “I didn’t think he was going to change it.”

Severe, who led the Royals to a city and state title this winter, won’t take any more visits before a decision. Coaches from the schools are likely to come by Christ the King Monday or Tuesday, Arbitello said.

Of the four schools, Fordham has stood out to Arbitello. They sent three coaches to the state tournament in Albany and have never swayed in their desire to land Severe.

“Fordham has recruited him the hardest,” Arbitello. “Their head coach [Tom Pecora] has made himself more visible than anyone else.”

Read more: RECRUITING CONFIDENTIAL: Bronx big man Edson Avila commits to Oklahoma after JUCO stint - NYPOST.com

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/recruting_confidential_bronx_big_UolDkeOP4TaullRqOzQkmK#ixzz2R80ssbeI

4/21/2013 5:03 pm  #228

It's too bad Ferry whiffed on his top 3 targets, or maybe better said his best three, and that his best recruit from last season isn't coming back.

4/21/2013 5:05 pm  #229

WashPaRick wrote:

ESPN picked top 5 A-10 recruits with Watkins coming in at number 5.

Not picking on you Rick. But it's sad when one recruit's name, on a list of players who haven't even set foot on an A-10 basketball court, is the only time we see "Duquesne" and "Top 5 in the conference" in the same sentence.

4/21/2013 5:29 pm  #230

ElDuque wrote:

It's too bad Ferry whiffed on his top 3 targets, or maybe better said his best three, and that his best recruit from last season isn't coming back.

He whiffed on the two highest profile spring guys but I wouldn't say he whiffed on his top 3 targets. Watkins and Robinson both had offers well before Severe and Notice did.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/21/2013 5:40 pm)

4/21/2013 8:04 pm  #231

Don't forget Ramon Castro.

4/21/2013 8:13 pm  #232

Give ferry cred for jumping in the mix and holding their attention this long.

4/21/2013 9:05 pm  #233

I was including Castro. I'm not sure who the main priorities were in the fall, but I would guess Watkins and Smith would round out the three original priorities of the recruiting class.

4/21/2013 11:17 pm  #234

ElDuque wrote:

Do you really believe that?  Ferry got his top 2 targets. I'd rather get 3 star fours and fives, than twos and threes any day of the week. Getting big guys that are highly rated is very difficult. Even in our darkest days, we had good players at the off guard, and small forward. Good swing men are a dime a dozen. Tell me how many quality power forwards we've had since Bruce Atkins? It's a very short list. If you told me we could either get Castro, Severe, and Notice, or Robinson, and Watkins, I'm taking the later two without hesitation.

4/21/2013 11:51 pm  #235

CLK wrote:

Pitt basketball prospect Jon Severe to decide Wednesday between Pitt WVU Wake Forest and Fordham. Never visited Pitt so does not look good.

Christ the King’s Severe moves up decision: Jon Severe, the city’s top senior and New York State’s Mr. Basketball, has moved up his college announcement, from May 22 to Wednesday, he said.

The 6-foot-2 standout from Brooklyn will pick between Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Wake Forest and Fordham, Christ the King coach Joe Arbitello said, in a press conference Wednesday at the Queens school at 2:30 p.m.

“I thought he was solid with the date May 22, then when he told me wanted to change it, I was surprised,” Arbitello said. “I didn’t think he was going to change it.”

Severe, who led the Royals to a city and state title this winter, won’t take any more visits before a decision. Coaches from the schools are likely to come by Christ the King Monday or Tuesday, Arbitello said.

Of the four schools, Fordham has stood out to Arbitello. They sent three coaches to the state tournament in Albany and have never swayed in their desire to land Severe.

“Fordham has recruited him the hardest,” Arbitello. “Their head coach [Tom Pecora] has made himself more visible than anyone else.”

Read more: RECRUITING CONFIDENTIAL: Bronx big man Edson Avila commits to Oklahoma after JUCO stint - NYPOST.com

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/recruting_confidential_bronx_big_UolDkeOP4TaullRqOzQkmK#ixzz2R80ssbeI

Any of them but Pitt

4/21/2013 11:54 pm  #236

apluski wrote:

CLK wrote:

Any of them but Pitt

Even though we'd have to deal with him, I hope he goes to Fordham. It would really be good for the league if Fordham becomes competitive.

4/22/2013 10:06 am  #237

Listen, we're already at the bottom of the league. Him going to Fordham won't have any impact on us at all.

What I'd rather have, 81, is players who help us win games and get to the NCAA Tournament. I can't make my feelings any clearer than that.

4/22/2013 11:47 am  #238

ElDuque wrote:

Listen, we're already at the bottom of the league. Him going to Fordham won't have any impact on us at all.

What I'd rather have, 81, is players who help us win games and get to the NCAA Tournament. I can't make my feelings any clearer than that.

Exactly. Bigs are what it takes, and we got a couple of good ones. Look at the following lists.

List 1.
Wayne Smith
Mike James
Norm Nixon
Tom Pipkins
Rick Suder
Tony Petrarca
Emmit Sellers

List 2
Nelson twins
Lionel
Atkins
Alston
Damian

The players in the first list were excellent. All are guards or small forwards. All played on teams without a quality 4 or 5. They accounted for three winning seasons combined, one of which was the senior year of Dwayne Rawls, an undersized 4 who had a very good senior year, and another of which happened to be the senior year of Derrick Alston. The third was Nixon's sophomore year. None of those teams won more than 17 games.

Now look at list number 2. These are the best inside players to play at Duquesne in the last 45 years. They combined for 12 winning seasons, with only 4 in the loss column. Three of the losing seasons were the 13-15's that John Carroll strung together. Looking at this, it should become clear why some on the board are optimistic about the future. Quality size leads to winning basketball. Unless Watkins and Robinson are busts, or don't stay here, we are going to win before they are done here.

4/22/2013 4:45 pm  #239

Looks like the staff has signed another C.

4/22/13, 5:42 PM
Kentucky native and IMG Academy center Darrius Lewis has signed with Duquesne, per IMG staff.

4/22/2013 4:54 pm  #240

Brian wrote:

Looks like the staff has signed another C.

4/22/13, 5:42 PM
Kentucky native and IMG Academy center Darrius Lewis has signed with Duquesne, per IMG staff.

He's listed at 6'10", or 6'11". Sounds like a project, but at that height, and this late in the game, he's worth a gamble on. 245 pounds, so he's not a stick.

4/23/2013 8:00 pm  #241

Alex Kline‏@TheRecruitScoop35mDuquesne has offered 2014 guard Rashard Figures of Team Scan (NY). Washington & Buffalo are close to offering

4/24/2013 5:43 am  #242

Corey Pegram‏@CoreyPegram6hBenedictine's (VA) Robert Johnson has picked up new offers from ODU and Duquesne per @hatfieldsports. 2014 combo guard

4/24/2013 12:30 pm  #244

4/24/2013 1:15 pm  #245

He was an all conference player with Tra'Vaughn White.  It will be interesting to see if he signs after his visit this weekend. Not sure who all is involved besides Oral Roberts.

4/24/2013 1:30 pm  #246

Sounds like what the doctor ordered.

4/24/2013 1:48 pm  #247

Severe just chose Fordham

4/24/2013 1:55 pm  #248

It's OK. Like I said, we're currently in 16th place so we have to fight our way out of the bottom.

Even after the other four teams leave, yes, we're still in 16th place until the games begin.

No sense trying to beat me up over this, because I'm going to beat the drum until we win and until we're back in the NCAA Tournament.

4/24/2013 2:49 pm  #249

Brian wrote:

Severe just chose Fordham

As I said earlier, that doesn't bother me. Fordham was on him longer than anyone. If we couldn't get him, I'm glad they did. With the defections to the BE, we need for the weak teams in the league to get stronger.

4/24/2013 7:13 pm  #250

David Schneider‏@BigShotsSkills16mDuquesne has just offered BIG SHOTS alum LG Gill 2013 6'6 SF Benedictine (VA

From one of my earlier posts below.  I think he would be the kind of SF we need.

Charles LG Gill 6'6" forward

Mark Selig‏@MarkRSelig1hGill, who visited JMU in March, is a 6-6 forward who's also considering Radford, MtStMary, St.Bonnie, Duquesne, according to H.S. coach.

LG Gill –Benedictine (Richmond, VA)
A 6’6 wing forward, Gill is exactly the type of kid that coaches love to have on their roster. He’s versatile, plays hard, and doesn’t force things. Owning fluid athleticism, Gill affects the game in multiple areas and has put himself in a great position to find a home at a low to mid-level division one program. He’s a guy that can score for you in the half court set with set jumpers and straight line drives, or in transition, as he runs the floor well and fills lanes appropriately. Gill will never blow you away with flashy play, but he will consistently impress you with his business-like approach and all around basketball ability.

http://recruitinghype.blogspot.com/2013/02/available-and-deserving.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OIDuxIbt4

Last edited by CLK (4/24/2013 7:18 pm)

Board footera