Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2014 3:08 pm  #401

Re: Recruiting

If we can sign Brooks, James, and a 3 star point that can shoot or handle, I'll be happy.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/21/2014 3:16 pm  #402

Brooks is a 2015 potential recruit.

Last edited by CLK (1/21/2014 3:16 pm)

1/21/2014 4:37 pm  #403

crap..

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/22/2014 11:29 am  #404

No quality point is going to come here with a junior, and a sophomore in front of him. We might land a JC guy, but we likely won't be able to interest a good point until next year. Kids today don't want to fight for a job, and they certainly don't want to wait their turn.

1/22/2014 11:52 am  #405

IF the recruit is a good player, he should come here because he will be better and will play.  We really don't have a really good point guard right now.  If he is not a better player than what we have, we will continue to get what we have always gotten!  

Maybe Ferry needs to drive to Oakland and talk to Dixon about recruiting, coaching, etc.  It is actually difficult for me to dislike Pitt Basketball now.  (I can't stand their weak footbal program and delusional fans).  Their coach is a good man, is not a jerk, is a good coach, and not a blowhard.  I watched some of the game last night and they are quite good.  I never in a million years thought I would say that but it is the truth.  RE connected with Dixon and I am sure they shared basketball intel.  Ferry definitely needs to take a bus to Oakland.

Last edited by FAM (1/22/2014 11:53 am)

1/22/2014 12:37 pm  #406

Looking at the Dukes recruiting information that has gone public, PG simply isn't on the radar for 2014, but it seems like a priority from 2015. If I had to guess, I would say they'll take a wing (Eric James), a JUCO big and either a transfer on the wing.

Like it or not, Colter isn't going to get recruited over and the Dukes are probably better for it.

FAM, I agree. Dixon makes it hard to hate Pitt.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/22/2014 12:39 pm)

1/22/2014 1:16 pm  #407

duq81 wrote:

No quality point is going to come here with a junior, and a sophomore in front of him. We might land a JC guy, but we likely won't be able to interest a good point until next year. Kids today don't want to fight for a job, and they certainly don't want to wait their turn.

That's just silly. Colter is not that good, especially for this level of basketball. The reason teams can double down on Mason and Soko without fear is that they're daring Colter to beat them. They're willing to let him take his 12-15 shots because they know he isn't getting more than 4-5. They know those short arms get tired in the second half. They know if you press him long enough you take him right out of the game.  NJ, NY and Philly are loaded with kids who can step in here and make this team so much better in a nonce. To think that one of them would turn their nose up at a shot here is just not even worth discussion. While I think Ridenour is better than Colter, I don't think he's the answer either. Colter and Ridenour are nice backups, but they are NOT next-level A-10 PGs.

End of discussion on my part.

1/22/2014 1:20 pm  #408

steve19981 wrote:

Looking at the Dukes recruiting information that has gone public, PG simply isn't on the radar for 2014, but it seems like a priority from 2015. If I had to guess, I would say they'll take a wing (Eric James), a JUCO big and either a transfer on the wing.

Like it or not, Colter isn't going to get recruited over and the Dukes are probably better for it.

The Dukes are better off with a PG who is 2-18 in A-10 play?

Seriously?

1/22/2014 1:51 pm  #409

El Duque, does Dixon make it harder for you to hate Pitt? 

1/22/2014 2:04 pm  #410

WashPaRick wrote:

El Duque, does Dixon make it harder for you to hate Pitt? 

The gorgeous pre-med I knew back in the day didn't make it harder for me to hate Pitt. What chance does Jamie Dixon have?

I'm glad I passed on the girl ... she has turned into a very strange bird. Eat <Rhymes with Pitt> Pitt!

1/22/2014 2:36 pm  #411

Only lost the dislike in basketball - can't stand them in football.  ElDuque, she may have been gorgeous but could she shoot the 3 pointer??

1/22/2014 2:38 pm  #412

There was no three pointer in those days FAM. Wait, you ARE talking about basketball, right?

1/22/2014 6:06 pm  #413

ElDuque wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

The Dukes are better off with a PG who is 2-18 in A-10 play?

Seriously?

I don't attribute records to single players at any position in any sport. It's a team game.

But yeah, I'm very serious for a couple of reasons

1) Freshman generally don't make very good point guards. EC Matthews is the best Freshman point in the league. He has as many turnovers as he has assists and he doesn't have a ton of assists. He shoots more and worse than Colter. Scootchie Smith for Dayton can't get on the floor over a sophomore many left for dead. Rene Castro the one that got away plays less than 10 minutes a game for Butler team that would be middle of the pack this year. Those are the three best PG's recruited into the A-10 last year. TJ McConnell and Semaj Christon are huge exceptions to the norm.

2) After two years of watching teams struggle to gel, I'll take a guy who has played two years in the system and at least one year with his teammates any day over a first year player or even a JUCO transfer.

3) I think Colter is a good player especially for a sophomore. Defense he's not good but is improving. He doesn't turn the ball over and has the 2nd fewest per game in the league Some of that is due to minutes, but he's also second in A:TO. Only two other players who rank in the top 10 will be back next year.

I don't think Colter is a great PG, but he's a good enough point guard. I see better places to use a scholarship this year than a replacement who in all likelihood won't be better. The only person I think who might unseat Colter is Ridenour.

1/22/2014 6:52 pm  #414

Steve, my point is that Jimmy Ferry should bring in someone who is better. And there are plenty of guys out there who are. A PG with more speed, defensive ability, passing ability, shooting ability -- a guy who represents an upgrade -- is preferable to a guy who has two years in a system. A better PG would help this team to gel.

With Colter, you're looking at a 6-year path to improvement because you're throwing away four years. 

A stud PG transforms your team instantly.

1/22/2014 10:46 pm  #415

ElDuque wrote:

Steve, my point is that Jimmy Ferry should bring in someone who is better. And there are plenty of guys out there who are. A PG with more speed, defensive ability, passing ability, shooting ability -- a guy who represents an upgrade -- is preferable to a guy who has two years in a system. A better PG would help this team to gel.

With Colter, you're looking at a 6-year path to improvement because you're throwing away four years. 

A stud PG transforms your team instantly.

I don't agree at all that a better PG helps the team gel. You start the season with a learning curve for the third season in a row. Count me out.

I also don't agree that the team can't win with Colter. Colter isn't TJ, but he's not a bum either and at least on the offensive end, he is not hurting this team. Please don't read this as disrespectful as it definately isn't intended to be but I think you have an idealized vision of what a sophmore PG is and how quickly teams can adjust to new ones. Sophomores make mistakes and bad decisions.  I'm glad you're optimistic that Ferry will find / can someone better. I think he can too for the long run, but I doubt he gets one that actually makes the team better immediately.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/22/2014 11:06 pm)

1/23/2014 6:08 am  #416

Why would you compare Colter to TJ? He doesn't play against TJ, he plays against the other PGs in the A-10 and he's not good enough to help us win. Last night was more proof.

At one point, he failed to get the ball across midcourt with no one covering him. Keep telling yourself he isn't hurting the team, because that little rally killer certainly did.

A more talented player would come in and make the system work, which is not happening with Colter. 

Sorry, but all you seem to be concerned about is winning a debate. All I care about is winning. I would love to eat crow for the next 2+ years and watch Colter emerge into a player who can lead this team to the postseason. But the sample size has been large enough for me.

1/23/2014 10:51 am  #417

I'm not interested in a debate. If it were I'd do things like ask you to find freshmen point guards around the country who would theoretically have helped the team win more their first year than Colter theoretically would as a junior has Duquesne could go after. I would pry about why it's a six year path to improvement. I probably would have also concluded any of my responses in a manner that demands a response.

Note, I'm not actually interested in you doing any of these things. 

Here's the chain of purpose to my involvement in this thread. I stated a point, you called me out on it, and I explained my logic.  Then I thought my position was missed so I reinforced it. I think it's pretty clear that I think Colter gives them their best, realistic chance to win and I'm not trying to get into some kind of battle of wits.  I'm not necessarily right nor do I think it's impossible for what you're advocating to happen. I just think the odds are very long and because of that, I'd shift scholarship resources elsewhere.  Just my perspective. You can agree or disagree.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/23/2014 11:22 am)

1/24/2014 2:17 pm  #418

1/24/2014 2:41 pm  #419

It just sickens me that by mid January of every year, it seems that all we have to talk about is NEXT year's potential recruit(s) or the next 2 or 3 years building the program up. Getting mighty tired of our season ending after a couple weeks of conference play... year after year afer year. Someone, Make it Stop please!

1/24/2014 3:53 pm  #420

We talk about recruiting all year. It's a continuous news cycle.

#WelcomeToCollegeHoops.

1/27/2014 6:03 pm  #421

I will tease you guys a bit.

I was at a middle school game today watching a 2018 prospect.  He scored 14 points in 11 minutes of play with 3 blocks and at least 8 rebounds.  The coach only let him play the first quarter and 5 minutes of the third as the opponents were getting crushed.

This kid is now 6'3" in his bare feet and the family pediatrician says growing to over 7 feet is a real possibility.

His ball handling skills are exceptional and he can use either hand in attacking the basket.  He has a better basketball IQ right now than some of the Dukes and is a coach's dream when it comes to work ethic and teamwork.

He has been attending Dukes games for 5 or 6 years now and was a ball kid 2 years ago.  For those of you who know who I am you may have seen this young man at games with me over the years.  His dad told me today that he overheard his on on the phone the other day telling one of his friends that he wants to play for Duquesne someday.  Jim Ferry has been aware of him since last year.

It's too early to tell exactly how good this kid will end up being, but I'd bet the mortgage that he'll at the very least get a D-1 scholarship.  At best, well, lottery picks come from somewhere, don't they?

1/27/2014 7:59 pm  #422

Consider me teased. Yearly updates welcomed.

1/27/2014 8:04 pm  #423

Please, tell me his name is NOT McConnell, Miller, or Luther.

1/27/2014 8:52 pm  #424

None of the above, El Duque.

Rick, I think maybe one more annual update is all that will be needed from me.  The local papers will be keeping us all up to date by his sophomore year unless I'm totally off base here.  Where do you sit at Palumbo, Rick?

1/27/2014 9:06 pm  #425

B7 back row. Like to stretch out a little.

Board footera