Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2012 5:44 pm  #26

Re: Recruiting

More on Severe

Zach Braziller�� @NYPost_Brazille
Will have more later, but Christ the King's Jon Severe tells me Duquesne and St. Bon "recruiting me the hardest."

Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille
Severe said he is likely to use his last official visit on Alabama and decision will come later in HS season

Last edited by CLK (12/28/2012 5:45 pm)

12/29/2012 12:17 pm  #27

Always an interesting question of do you wait for a kid to decide or pick up another player who you have offered.  We waited until very late for Rene Castro and lost out to Butler.  Me I would push hard for Duane Notice and Severe and take the first to commit.  I also hope another scholarship opens up.  I would really like to see us get the three Canadians... Watkins, Notice and McIntosh (6'6" SF). 

NPH @NorthPoleHoops
Isaiah Watkins (Duquesne Commit) & Mikyle McIntosh (Uncommitted) could be brothers from another mother!

12/29/2012 1:45 pm  #28

CLK wrote:

Always an interesting question of do you wait for a kid to decide or pick up another player who you have offered.  We waited until very late for Rene Castro and lost out to Butler.  Me I would push hard for Duane Notice and Severe and take the first to commit.  I also hope another scholarship opens up.  I would really like to see us get the three Canadians... Watkins, Notice and McIntosh (6'6" SF). 

NPH� @NorthPoleHoops
Isaiah Watkins (Duquesne Commit) & Mikyle McIntosh (Uncommitted) could be brothers from another mother!

The game of musical chairs is always interesting. Both the player, and the school risk being left out in the cold if they wait too long.

12/29/2012 2:57 pm  #29

McIntosh has been in the mix for a while but his recruitment has been pretty quiet. From what I've read, he has no intentions of making a decision before spring. I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'6'' - 6'8'' He's athletic but would certainly qualify as a tweener who plays bigger than his height.

12/29/2012 3:48 pm  #30

steve19981 wrote:

McIntosh has been in the mix for a while but his recruitment has been pretty quiet. From what I've read, he has no intentions of making a decision before spring. I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'6'' - 6'8'' He's athletic but would certainly qualify as a tweener who plays bigger than his height.

McIntosh recruitment has been very active with some BCS schools on him.  We would be very lucky to get him.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143881/mikyle-mcintosh

12/29/2012 8:21 pm  #31

Notice taking an unofficial to Bonnies on Monday according to Bonnies message board.

1/02/2013 5:45 pm  #32

Jon Severe recruitment is taking off.  Here is a recent article and video.  Alabama pressing hard to get him.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/recruiting_confidential_city_top_NWIbjgguDyiVMvBFQvSTPL#axzz2GrQgueIV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Mbx50xki0

1/03/2013 12:09 pm  #33

Landing Severe looks like more and more of a long shot.  If we are fortunate enough to get him needless to say it would be a major recruiting victory for Duquesne.

Zach Braziller @NYPost_Brazille
Indiana has showed interest in Christ the King's Jon Severe per @TheRecruitScoop. Senior starting to blow up.

1/03/2013 1:10 pm  #34

CLK wrote:

Zach Braziller� @NYPost_Brazille
Indiana has showed interest in Christ the King's Jon Severe per @TheRecruitScoop. Senior starting to blow up.

Bama is one thing, when blue bloods like IU start showing up, oh oh.

1/03/2013 2:09 pm  #35

At least the article made it sound like we were recruiting him the hardest (along with St Bonny).  He also said he doesn't care about playing at the highest level, but would rather make an immediate impact.  I could see him starting right away alongside Colter.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/09/2013 6:48 am  #36

Chad Groth @areacodes
Tyler Roberts 6'4 2013 guard from Green Valley HS (Las Vegas, NV) will have Duquesne & Drake University in to see him.

1/11/2013 9:02 pm  #37

From Recruit Scoop Recruiting Blitz:

[url defaultattr=http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?cid="1458751"]http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1458751[/url]

Jon Severe

"Alabama is his first high-major scholarship offer, with Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Fordham and others calling. As he has spent four of his five official visits, Severe is not sure when or where he will spend his final official visit on. He does believe that Duquesne is recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Could the Dukes steer away from the major competition in order to land the scoring guard?"

MiKyle McIntosh

"McIntosh - a class of 2013 6-foot-6 small forward - is boosting his stock in a major way. With mainly mid-major offers such as Illinois State, Duquesne, Charlotte, Hawaii and St. Bonaventure. He is close to picking up offers from Miami, Oregon, Ohio State, Kansas and others, which could come by February. During his senior season, McIntosh made the conversion from power and combo forward into a full time small forward, which put him on a higher scale."

Last edited by CLK (1/11/2013 9:05 pm)

1/11/2013 9:56 pm  #38

CLK wrote:

From Recruit Scoop Recruiting Blitz:

[url defaultattr=http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?cid="1458751"]http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1458751[/url]

Jon Severe

"Alabama is his first high-major scholarship offer, with Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Fordham and others calling. As he has spent four of his five official visits, Severe is not sure when or where he will spend his final official visit on. He does believe that Duquesne is recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Could the Dukes steer away from the major competition in order to land the scoring guard?"

MiKyle McIntosh

"McIntosh - a class of 2013 6-foot-6 small forward - is boosting his stock in a major way. With mainly mid-major offers such as Illinois State, Duquesne, Charlotte, Hawaii and St. Bonaventure. He is close to picking up offers from Miami, Oregon, Ohio State, Kansas and others, which could come by February. During his senior season, McIntosh made the conversion from power and combo forward into a full time small forward, which put him on a higher scale."

Ferry is really aiming high.

1/12/2013 10:04 am  #39

Porter aimed high too.

Just saying, results matter.

1/12/2013 1:24 pm  #40

ElDuque wrote:

Porter aimed high too.

Just saying, results matter.

This is true, but you and I both bashed Nee for aiming low. Remember his comment that if he was recruiting a player, and saw any heavyweight coaches, he would turn around and walk out? We already got one in Watkins. If we could land just one more of these kids, we might end up back on the map.

1/12/2013 1:41 pm  #41

We need more than one, 81. We need a 'next-level' PG, a lights-out shooter, and a big man that Ferry will trust. We also need Soko not to have any rust, Winters and Jones to step up a little, and Colter not to pout when a better lead guard arrives. Then I think we can be a solid middle of the pack team next year.

1/12/2013 2:43 pm  #42

ElDuque wrote:

We need more than one, 81. We need a 'next-level' PG, a lights-out shooter, and a big man that Ferry will trust. We also need Soko not to have any rust, Winters and Jones to step up a little, and Colter not to pout when a better lead guard arrives. Then I think we can be a solid middle of the pack team next year.

I'm not really concerned with recruiting over Colter. He could be one of the best guards in the league as soon as next season and I view him as a serious steal. I'd prefer a couple of combos like Notice, Shane Rector (no idea where we stand with him now) or even our old friend Trey Dickerson who some still classify as a 2013 if Severe doesn't work out.

Agreed another forward/center is also a must

Last edited by steve19981 (1/12/2013 2:44 pm)

1/12/2013 8:37 pm  #43

Colter would have to improve a lot to be in the middle of the pack. He's not that strong, he's a terrible free throw shooter, and he doesn't have that much touch on his shot. Believe me, there is better out there.

1/12/2013 10:26 pm  #44

ElDuque wrote:

Colter would have to improve a lot to be in the middle of the pack. He's not that strong, he's a terrible free throw shooter, and he doesn't have that much touch on his shot. Believe me, there is better out there.

He certainly has some room for improvement, but I bet one could say the same for any guard in the league. He's still young and streaky, but he's drawing the bulk of the attention on offense and he's still producing. He's extremely quick, his handle is very good, his passing is generally very strong. He's got guts and hearts to spare. His defense is rapidly improving as is his decision making.

In the end, I'd like to see him shoot a little less and set his teammates up a little more, but for now, he's the go to guy.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/12/2013 10:26 pm)

1/13/2013 7:33 pm  #45

Right now, he is what makes this team go. I think he will be a better player before he is finished. I wouldn't bring in just any point guard to compete with him (e.g., Binney has not worked out). But if you can get a stud I think you have to do it. We do need shooters -- either Winters and Jeremiah Jones to improve or some sharpshooter to be named later. It's been a long time since we had a guy who could feast on a steady diet of jumpers. We've been a poor shooting and FT shooting team for decades now.

1/14/2013 8:56 am  #46

ElDuque wrote:

Right now, he is what makes this team go. I think he will be a better player before he is finished. I wouldn't bring in just any point guard to compete with him (e.g., Binney has not worked out). But if you can get a stud I think you have to do it. We do need shooters -- either Winters and Jeremiah Jones to improve or some sharpshooter to be named later. It's been a long time since we had a guy who could feast on a steady diet of jumpers. We've been a poor shooting and FT shooting team for decades now.

I completely agree with the entire post but particularly the bolded. I would add that we mostly need consistency. I think there is talent in this freshman class enough that my priority wouldn't be recruiting over any of them. The problem is that we need to see the talent more often and I think we will moving forward.

It's weird and a bit unnerving watching Jim Ferry's puzzle come slowly together because we only  know what 3.5 of the pieces look like right now with the half piece being Watkins who we've been told is good, whose offer sheet looks outstanding, but  none of us have ever seen play. I'm looking forward to the rest of this season, but I'm really looking forward to the summer when we should know a bit more about what this program will look like moving forward.

1/14/2013 10:14 am  #47

ElDuque wrote:

Have you seen Colter shoot free throws?  Granted he struggled early, but most likely due to early season jitters.  He has nice rotation on his free throws and has been much better lately.  I think he will be a good free throw shooter.

1/14/2013 12:23 pm  #48

From what I read after his signing was that he was a scoring point guard, that said, it seems near the end of games he shoots( sometimes 24-28 ft treys) rather than distribute the rock. Mike James game was similar except James was taller and perhaps not as quick. But remember this kid is about one half way thru his freshman year.As for Binney, he is a juco transfer and they usually need time to adjust to the D-1 level.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/14/2013 12:46 pm  #49

Phildog wrote:

From what I read after his signing was that he was a scoring point guard, that said, it seems near the end of games he shoots( sometimes 24-28 ft treys) rather than distribute the rock. Mike James game was similar except James was taller and perhaps not as quick. But remember this kid is about one half way thru his freshman year.As for Binney, he is a juco transfer and they usually need time to adjust to the D-1 level.

Mike James was at one point, considered one of the quickest player in the NBA, so if Colter is quicker than that, he must be like lightning.

Last edited by duq81 (1/14/2013 12:48 pm)

1/14/2013 3:10 pm  #50

William Gunter‏@WillGunter2472013 Quality Education (NC) PF Jordan Robinson currently focused on DePaul, UCLA, Xavier, Duquesne & Minnesota per his HS coach.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/f8KPZ16rZECkhgS1nIkIZw/basketball-winter-12-13/profile-jordan-robinson.htm

Another Canadian prospect and a beast on the boards.

Last edited by CLK (1/14/2013 3:19 pm)

Board footera