Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2013 10:46 am  #101

Re: Recruiting

Anyone hear anything out there in the cyber world on Severe's visit to WVU (I thought that was this weekend)?  Any other scoop or rumors about recruits?  Steve 19981?  The Skovranko kid looks like a good player, I hope he wants to stay close to home.  I think all of us who still hold on to hope for this program will know a lot more based on the quality of the Spring class and the early signing period in the Fall.  I know ratings are jaded and slanted, but more oftern then not a decent ranked player has a better chance than a lower rated or unknown player.  It will be hard for me to stay interested if I can't get excited about the Spring and Fall signings (although I understand more signings could happen next Spring as well - just running out of patience.

2/25/2013 12:11 pm  #102

MrBrightside wrote:

Anyone hear anything out there in the cyber world on Severe's visit to WVU (I thought that was this weekend)?  Any other scoop or rumors about recruits?  Steve 19981?  The Skovranko kid looks like a good player, I hope he wants to stay close to home.  I think all of us who still hold on to hope for this program will know a lot more based on the quality of the Spring class and the early signing period in the Fall.  I know ratings are jaded and slanted, but more oftern then not a decent ranked player has a better chance than a lower rated or unknown player.  It will be hard for me to stay interested if I can't get excited about the Spring and Fall signings (although I understand more signings could happen next Spring as well - just running out of patience.

It's very important that we get at least one, and hopefully more, of the guys we're targeting. I don't think that Ferry is a "more out of less" type of coach, but he has shown that he can win when he has good players. This is very solid A10 level talent he's after, and if he can land a couple this spring, and add another couple in the fall, he will likely be able to win a lot of games pretty soon. If he strikes out, we will be back down the toilet.

2/25/2013 12:33 pm  #103

MrBrightside wrote:

I have no scoop at the moment and I'm glad we're involved in one of the more public recruitments right now in Severe. I think it's safe to conclude that he didn't commit to WVU over the weekend and that certainly is a positive. I did a blog entry a couple of weeks ago about getting a commitments in February and  concluded that they happen, but not too frequently. I think we're all getting a little restless and are in need of some positive news. Unfortunately, we will probably have to wait at least another month before we get the news we're looking for.

2/25/2013 12:50 pm  #104

MrBrightside wrote:

It sounds like Duane Notice & Jon Severe both have sincere interest in Duquesne, and puts the coaching staff in a hard spot.  Given their talent level you have to wait until they make their call which puts you at risk for plan B options the more interest they draw, and the longer it takes for them to make a decision.  We saw that with Rene Castro in the fall where Butler came in late and plucked him away.  There are a number of guys out there like Fredrick Edmond | 6-foot-4, 190 lbs. | Eastern (Lansing, Mi.) who we have expressed interest in but not offered.  His recruitment seems to be heating up and may not be available come April.

2/25/2013 12:54 pm  #105

And as I post the above another name surfaces:

Justin Byerly‏@Justinbyerly6'3 G Isaiah Lewis of Arlington Country Day (FL) getting interest from Duquesne & Southern Miss.

Described as in a recent article:

Isaiah Lewis: The Arlington (Fla.) Country Day point guard, originally from New York City, is one of the speedier guards in transition and was very good in full-court setting on Saturday. A three-star prospect being recruited at the high-major level, with Seton Hall being his rumored leader, Lewis was effective both as a slasher and a passer in the up-tempo style that his team plays with, leading ACD to a second win in as many days.

Last edited by CLK (2/25/2013 1:02 pm)

2/25/2013 5:27 pm  #106

2/25/2013 5:59 pm  #107

My guess is that  we are looking to possibly sign a couple of guards and another big in the spring based on recruiting activity and offers out there, which would mean another scholarship would need to open up.  This is just a guess on my part.

2/27/2013 5:37 pm  #108

Jon Severe is among the five finalists for Mr. New York Basketball.

http://www.newyorksportswriters.org/blog/2013-02-27-bcany-mr-basketball-miss-basketball-finalists.shtml

2/27/2013 9:48 pm  #109

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoopDuquesne has landed a commitment from 2013 Quality Education (NC) PF Jordan Robinson, his coach said.

2/27/2013 9:51 pm  #110

You beat me to it.  Good get for the Dukes.  He is described below:

Jordan Robinson – Quality Education (Winston-Salem, NC)
In a world where big men are hard to come by, Robinson is one of the better ones available in the area. He’s 6’7 with a developing skillset and knows how to stick to his bread and butter: bodying people down low. Robinson has good hands, rebounds his position, guards his man, and isn’t afraid of contact. He has a great nose for the ball and knows how to use his body to move people for establishing post and rebounding position. His motor makes him even more attractive, and he should find a home with a low to mid-level division one program.

3/01/2013 3:52 pm  #111

According to the Rivals data base DU offered JUCO guard Devin Brooks

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duquesne/basketball/recruiting/player-Devin-Brooks-144983;_ylt=AkDrpD4B3SlYySWNhSmR0hOurpB4

http://www.southwestiowanews.com/council_bluffs/sports/local_sports/brooks-near-triple-double-lifts-reivers/article_6f3d1e8e-815f-11e2-94f7-001a4bcf887a.html

He is the second JUCO PG we offered recently, the other was Travaughn White.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duquesne/basketball/recruiting/player-TraVaughn-White-132935;_ylt=Ar.xVvrma3GHcCJ32EGUvSaurpB4

It is my opinion that the Dukes will sign a SG (hopefully Severe or Notice) and a point guard possibly a JUCO to balance the class.  Just a guess on my part.  It will be interesting.

3/01/2013 6:20 pm  #112

Brooks is from NYC, and we're the only eastern team after him. Might be an advantage.

3/01/2013 11:13 pm  #113

duq81, CLK, Steve et al. thanks for the recruiting information.  I for one am excited about the trend this recruiting class is taking and the level of players this staff looks to be bringing in.  Although I realize it doesnt' mean anything until we see what they can do on the court, the pedigree and what I can see from the video tells me these are pretty good players and we don't appear to be reaching for whatever is available.  Also refreshing to see the focus on BBall and recruits and not the constant negativity and critiscm that is all too frequently posted by a vocal minority, which is their right, but it gets old.

3/02/2013 1:30 am  #114

Mr B., recruiting is the name of the game. While I don't think there are any superstars among the kids Ferry brought in last year, they all seem to be good enough to become solid contributors on a good team. Every team needs depth, and role players, and these guys seem to be good enough to fill those roles. While every team needs a star player, you also need guys who can step up, and have a big game on a semi-regular basis. When you have 4 or 5 of these types, a couple will usually step up every game, supplementing the production of your star. Now we seem to be bringing in another solid class, with players who are ranked higher than the ones we got last year. We're getting some size too. These kids are bulky. Kind of the way John Moore, and Bruce Atkins were. If we can get a player with the potential to be a "go to" guy, (Severe or Notice) we might be set to be pretty good in a year or two.

3/02/2013 11:43 am  #115

Duke81, Robinson sort of reminds me of Atkins just looking at body type. One of the articles said he finished with both hands around the hoop which Atkins was great at. If he turns out half as good as Atkins we got a good one.

3/02/2013 5:26 pm  #116

Another JUCO guard we are looking at from the RIVALS database

Victor Bermudez 6'3 SG

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duquesne/basketball/recruiting/player-Victor-Bermudez-143827;_ylt=ArqJFiYRIoO7bQ.snprmjjGurpB4

Last edited by CLK (3/02/2013 5:28 pm)

3/03/2013 4:54 pm  #117

3/03/2013 10:36 pm  #118

I sure hope we beat out stony brook.

3/03/2013 10:45 pm  #119

I like it when the PR dept puts out that we got a commitment from a #3 'available' player several weeks after the signing period. And this is rough and below the belt but the reality is that the #6 rated canadian center would be the 49th best player in the Bronx alone.  Thats the reality. We have to start somewhere. Hoping the canadians band together and kick some arse.

3/03/2013 11:40 pm  #120

Jeralta wrote:

I like it when the PR dept puts out that we got a commitment from a #3 'available' player several weeks after the signing period. And this is rough and below the belt but the reality is that the #6 rated canadian center would be the 49th best player in the Bronx alone. Thats the reality. We have to start somewhere. Hoping the canadians band together and kick some arse.

He's not playing in Canada. He's listed as the #20 center in the US. It's a miracle that he's coming here.

3/04/2013 7:05 am  #121

Jeralta wrote:

I like it when the PR dept puts out that we got a commitment from a #3 'available' player several weeks after the signing period. And this is rough and below the belt but the reality is that the #6 rated canadian center would be the 49th best player in the Bronx alone. Thats the reality. We have to start somewhere. Hoping the canadians band together and kick some arse.

That is a rapidly changing mistake you're making. Ontario is as hot as anywhere in North America over the last three years in terms of the top prospects it's producing. New York City proper is falling back. Honestly, Texas might be the best place to recruit now followed by New York Metro, Ontario, Chicago, Southern Cal and South Florida.

3/04/2013 9:53 am  #122

Excellent point Steve, Syracuse has done pretty well with Canadian players over the last 20-years.  Marquette is another strong program that recruits in Canada,  In fact it is rare to see a game involving Eastern teams in which there is not a mention made of a Canadian or two on the floor.   These guys are all playing against good competitiion and compete in AAU games against US players all the time.  Many play prep in the USA as well, so it is a wise move to agressively pursue Canadian players.

3/04/2013 9:04 pm  #123

Looks like Devin Wilson's (PG Montour ) recruiting is taking off.  He just picked up an offer from St. Joe after his 19 point performance against CV.  Villanova is expressing interest.  Got to wonder if the Dukes will offer?

3/04/2013 10:00 pm  #124

CLK wrote:

Looks like Devin Wilson's (PG Montour ) recruiting is taking off.  He just picked up an offer from St. Joe after his 19 point performance against CV.  Villanova is expressing interest.  Got to wonder if the Dukes will offer?

My guess is that he or Rashad Richardson is plan "B" if Notice and Severe end up elsewhere.

St Bonaventure has taken an interest in our old friend Trey Dickerson. I have no idea why we're not involved with him again.

3/05/2013 6:38 am  #125

West Virginia has offered Dickerson.  I won't be surprised if he lands there.  He has a good relationship with Ron.

Board footera