Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2013 10:22 am  #151

Re: Recruiting

Jon Severe scores 40 in semi of State.  He has said he will narrow his list tonight per post above.

http://duquesne.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1487126

3/23/2013 11:10 am  #152

ACC (Pitt) vs. A10  -  I think he would make more of a splash in the A10 and though I am prejudiced, the family type atmosphere of Duquesne far outweighs Pitt.

3/23/2013 12:36 pm  #153

FAM wrote:

ACC (Pitt) vs. A10  -  I think he would make more of a splash in the A10 and though I am prejudiced, the family type atmosphere of Duquesne far outweighs Pitt.

Depends on what he likes. Some kids are looking for a quiet peacefull type of campus life. Every year, hundreds of athletes choose schools located in small podunk towns, because that is what they are looking for. On the other hand, there are hundreds who would blanche at the thought of spending 4 years in State College. They love the city, and the more noisy and crazy it is, the better. We can offer somewhat of a compromise. Quiet campus, but in an urban setting.

3/23/2013 1:13 pm  #154

According to Brian on the Yuku boad, pg Desmond Ridenour has commited.

3/23/2013 5:07 pm  #155

Adam Zagoria‏@AdamZagoria9mJon Severe says he will not cut his list tonight

3/23/2013 8:00 pm  #156

Duane Notice impressed with South Carolina.

http://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1487191

The Connecticut guard has already visited two schools (St. Bonaventure and Duquesne) and could potentially visit a few more after getting back home and discussing his options. One thing is certain though, the Gamecocks made a big impression on Notice and look to be a factor when it comes time to announce his decision.

"When I get home I'll talk things over with my family and my coaches," Notice said before boarding the flight home. "South Carolina definitely surprised me. It's more than just a big university. They're in the SEC and they're good people. The facilities were nicer than the other programs I've visited and the population was much bigger. They're committed to bouncing back next season and having a good year. I may visit Seton Hall and Auburn to compare everything but I'm not sure yet."

3/23/2013 8:19 pm  #157

Yikes, that doesn't sound too encouraging for us and his comment about "facilites" are the kind of things these kids look at so we have to keep pumping resources ($$$$$) into it.  Hopefully we can land Notice, but I can't say the odds look too good.

3/24/2013 3:55 pm  #158

Jon Severe is suppose to be cutting his list today. We should know soon if we made the cut.

Chas Rich‏@ChasRich272hRT @PantherLair RT @MattSteinbrink Just learned that Jon Severe is cutting his list today and Pitt will be a finalist

3/24/2013 4:06 pm  #159

Pittards think they're a finalist for everything.

3/25/2013 5:42 am  #160

Severe cuts his list

http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1487711

Not in order: West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers, Fordham, Seton Hall, Duquesne, George Washington, Kansas State, Boston College, CREIGHTON."
Asked what the ten schools have in common, Severe responded, "Chance of playing a lot as a freshman."

3/25/2013 7:32 am  #161

I have a chance of playing NBA ball if that is his criteria.  he'll mostly sit at the big conf teams for 1-2 years.

3/25/2013 1:39 pm  #162

Not in order: West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers, Fordham, Seton Hall, Duquesne, George Washington, Kansas State, Boston College, CREIGHTON."
Asked what the ten schools have in common, Severe responded, "Chance of playing a lot as a freshman."

Hell, if that is his criteria he can play every game - the entire game - if he would come to Duquesne!
Just Saying!

Last edited by FAM (3/25/2013 1:40 pm)

3/25/2013 5:05 pm  #163

Another Article on Severe with some recent video. Creighton was in to see him today.  A  lot of big schools trying to push their way in.

http://goldandbluezone.com/basketball-recruiting/severe-trims-list-to-ten/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

3/25/2013 8:33 pm  #164

I would like to see us stop at four recruits. We had four last year and with four in the upcoming year, that puts us in good shape for the years after that. With a class of five, we will pay down the road by not being able to fill in spots due to too few scholarships.

3/25/2013 8:45 pm  #165

pressurecooker wrote:

I would like to see us stop at four recruits. We had four last year and with four in the upcoming year, that puts us in good shape for the years after that. With a class of five, we will pay down the road by not being able to fill in spots due to too few scholarships.

That's why if we take a fifth player, he should be a JC recruit.

3/26/2013 4:35 pm  #166

Alex Kline‏@TheRecruitScoop3h2013 Christ the King (NY) SG Jon Severe will make his college decision on May 22nd

3/26/2013 4:37 pm  #167

CLK wrote:

Alex Kline‏@TheRecruitScoop3h2013 Christ the King (NY) SG Jon Severe will make his college decision on May 22nd

I would think that some of his schools are not going to wait on him that long. He may end up having his list shrunk for him.

3/26/2013 4:49 pm  #168

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I would think that some of his schools are not going to wait on him that long. He may end up having his list shrunk for him.

The spring signing period runs from April 17 to May 15th.  This means he has no intention to sign a National Letter of Intent, which further means he really will not be bound until he actually enrolls at the school of his choice.  Hard spot for the coaching staff on this one.

Last edited by CLK (3/26/2013 5:39 pm)

3/26/2013 4:59 pm  #169

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

BC picked up a commitment from a comparable shooting guard today.

3/27/2013 7:04 am  #170

I don't know much about the recruiting landscape but people certainly seem high on him. I would love to see such a high-calibre prospect come to Duquesne, but not at the cost of a one-and-transfer or other sort of kick to the gonads of the program.

I hope if he commits here, he's here for four good years including a couple trips to the NCAAs.

3/27/2013 2:34 pm  #171

Dave Uhrmacher‏@daveuhrmacher1mRT @ChrisDokish: Jamie Dixon is at Christ the King today to talk to Jon Severe.

Dave Uhrmacher‏@daveuhrmacher2mRT @MattSteinbrink: Sounds like Pitt is putting the full court press on Jon Severe. Don't think they will wait until May 22nd for a decision

3/27/2013 2:42 pm  #172

Maybe Severe is trying to determine who truely wants him instead of filling holes.

4/01/2013 11:43 am  #173

And the circle goes around.  We lost Notice now the rest of the pack is hovering over our other target JUCO Devin Brooks.

Chris McManus‏@CerasolisGhost27 MarAccording to Rivals, Devin Brooks has received offers from Creighton, Duquesne, Eastern Illinois, Illinois State & Southern Illinois. #shbb

SOrangeJuice‏@SOrangeJuice27 MarSeton Hall is involved with 2013 JuCo PG Devin Brooks (Iowa Western CC). Brooks averaged 16pts/6.6reb/5.6ast in 35 games this season. #shbb

AUHoopsBlog‏@AUHoopsBlog29 MarLooks like the main guys AU is trying to recruit at the guard position is Jalen James, Trey Dickerson, Devin Brooks and Frank Bartley

4/01/2013 4:35 pm  #174

Who needs Severe more, us or Pitt? I don't think there's any doubt it's us. But Pitt's budget is what, twice the size of ours? It's really hard to compete for some of these kids when Dixon can hop on a private jet or whatever he needs to do to show up to schmooze the kid. I certainly understand why kids fall for all of that ... if you're going to play in Pittsburgh, why go someplace where the coach is offering you Hardee's when they have Emiril serving steak on the other side of town.

I really do hope Ferry has answers, whether it's relationships, a pipeline, or whatever.

4/01/2013 5:31 pm  #175

A while back - one of these posts - my lowly opinion was that there was not a big difference between the coaching of RE and Ferry.  The difference is going to have to be recruiting.  If Ferry can keep his assistants consistant - and working together - and having those pipelines - we can get the better players.  We lost a good one to South Carolina but I think near the end of RE's tenure, he was going after less players.  Though we may be losing out to a few, at least we are in the hunt for better athletes.  Again, our success is going to depend on how well this guy can recruit.

Last edited by FAM (4/01/2013 5:31 pm)

Board footera