Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2013 8:33 pm  #176

Re: Recruiting

FAM wrote:

A while back - one of these posts - my lowly opinion was that there was not a big difference between the coaching of RE and Ferry.  The difference is going to have to be recruiting.  If Ferry can keep his assistants consistant - and working together - and having those pipelines - we can get the better players.  We lost a good one to South Carolina but I think near the end of RE's tenure, he was going after less players.  Though we may be losing out to a few, at least we are in the hunt for better athletes.  Again, our success is going to depend on how well this guy can recruit.

Agree 100% RE had success not because he was a coaching genius, but because he brought in good players for most of his tenure. This is true for most coaches, and will need to be true for ferry. One thing to keep in mind. Every good stretch of basketball by Duquesne since the late 60's has coincided with us having good players in the frontcourt. The Nelsons, Lionel, Atkins, Alston, Damian. Conversely, we've had two point guards who both spent over a decade in the NBA. Their teams stunk.  This is no coincidence. This is why I'm optimistic about the two big kids we got. While missing out on Notice is disappointing, it would be much worse if this had been one of the big boys. Quality 2's and 3's are not hard to find. We seemed to always have one, even during our worst years. Even point guards are not that difficult to come up with. The big boys are the key.

4/01/2013 8:56 pm  #177

CLK wrote:

And the circle goes around.  We lost Notice now the rest of the pack is hovering over our other target JUCO Devin Brooks.

Chris McManus‏@CerasolisGhost27 MarAccording to Rivals, Devin Brooks has received offers from Creighton, Duquesne, Eastern Illinois, Illinois State & Southern Illinois. #shbb

SOrangeJuice‏@SOrangeJuice27 MarSeton Hall is involved with 2013 JuCo PG Devin Brooks (Iowa Western CC). Brooks averaged 16pts/6.6reb/5.6ast in 35 games this season. #shbb

AUHoopsBlog‏@AUHoopsBlog29 MarLooks like the main guys AU is trying to recruit at the guard position is Jalen James, Trey Dickerson, Devin Brooks and Frank Bartley

You go after talented players, you get strong competition.

4/01/2013 9:02 pm  #178

Is sean john a ferry fan?  Severe is from SJs high school

4/01/2013 9:14 pm  #179

4/01/2013 9:48 pm  #180

West verballed to Nevada

4/01/2013 10:03 pm  #181

West has done some weird stuff since we supposedly signed him. I know it's moot but that would have sent the alert buzzer off. Outside of Notice and Severe, and Devin Brooks, I have to admit to having little knowledge about the recruiting world. I just hope we get good kids who can play.

4/03/2013 6:47 pm  #182

Devin Brooks to Creighton

Adam Zagoria‏@AdamZagoria6h6-1 combo G Devin Brooks of Iowa Western CC has committed to Creighton

4/04/2013 6:58 am  #183

Ack. OK. Brooks would have pushed Colter to the bench and been the next-level PG we need. Maybe we still get Severe and Travaughn White.

4/07/2013 7:10 pm  #184

Zach Braziller‏@NYPost_Brazille2hJon Severe actually has a top 6 of Duquesne, West va Fordham Seton Hall Pitt and wake forest

4/07/2013 7:46 pm  #185

CLK wrote:

Zach Braziller‏@NYPost_Brazille2hJon Severe actually has a top 6 of Duquesne, West va Fordham Seton Hall Pitt and wake forest

Hey, a three guard look can work when you actually have three high quality guards to put out there.

4/07/2013 7:53 pm  #186

I hope the Post has the order of preference correct.

4/08/2013 10:06 am  #187

He originally posted a list that didn't include Duquesne and then amended it saying that he forgot Duquesne on his original list of survivors.  Still a long wait however, if he sticks to his original announcement date which I believe was May 22.

4/10/2013 11:34 am  #188

4/11/2013 6:27 pm  #189

4/11/2013 6:58 pm  #190

Clk, do you know who else offered Wolfe coming out of High School? I'd like to find some stats on the kid.  Anyone has any sources that would be great.

4/11/2013 7:00 pm  #191

Just clicked on tab and realized you could get his list of offers.  It had Binghamton and Citadel.....hmmm

4/11/2013 7:04 pm  #192

He committed to Loyola last November.  I don't know how much interest we have, but from what I saw he sounds a late bloomer.

I just found it interesting.  Sure seems like we have more than one to still give.

He is #25 in white

Last edited by CLK (4/11/2013 7:09 pm)

4/11/2013 7:18 pm  #193

Anyone who 'forgets' to mention a school probably ain't going to that school

4/11/2013 8:12 pm  #194

Kid did not look like he weighed 195 pounds. Wonder if he'll end up at Siena.

4/11/2013 8:47 pm  #195

Looked reasonably athletic, good hands, smooth shot, but not too strong of a rebounder and hops average..

4/11/2013 8:49 pm  #196

Sounds like a project type of player. Compare him to the two beefy guys we got earlier. Usually all we get at 6'8" and above are project type guys. With the two bulky guys already wrapped up, i don't mind a third big being a project though. The NBA is full of guys who were projects coming out of high school.

4/12/2013 7:10 am  #197

There's a video of the kid missing a dunk, for what it's worth. Since Mr. Brightside isn't talking the kid up, I assume Ferry has no interest.

4/12/2013 1:07 pm  #198

El D, just my opinion, no discussion with Ferry - I don't like to engage the Coaches as much as you may think.

4/13/2013 8:28 pm  #199

Gabe Levin...From New England Recruiting Report

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/3041/Coaching-Carousel-Impacting-Local-Recruits.php

St. Thomas More had a trio of players previously committed to former Hofstra head coach Mo Cassara. On Wednesday, the Pride named former Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich as their new head coach. SNY’s Adam Zagoria reported that Mihalich will keep the commitment from STM guard Amadi Udenyi while Marquis Moore and Gabe Levin will both re-open their recruitment. Moore will still consider Hofstra along with George Mason, Creighton, Boston University, and Fairfield. Levin is no longer expected to consider Hofstra and is instead focusing on Duquesne, Fordham, Loyola-Marymount, Illinois-Chicago, and Boston University according to Zagoria. 

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gabe-levin

Last edited by CLK (4/13/2013 8:31 pm)

4/13/2013 8:58 pm  #200

CLK wrote:

Gabe Levin...From New England Recruiting Report

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/3041/Coaching-Carousel-Impacting-Local-Recruits.php

St. Thomas More had a trio of players previously committed to former Hofstra head coach Mo Cassara. On Wednesday, the Pride named former Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich as their new head coach. SNY’s Adam Zagoria reported that Mihalich will keep the commitment from STM guard Amadi Udenyi while Marquis Moore and Gabe Levin will both re-open their recruitment. Moore will still consider Hofstra along with George Mason, Creighton, Boston University, and Fairfield. Levin is no longer expected to consider Hofstra and is instead focusing on Duquesne, Fordham, Loyola-Marymount, Illinois-Chicago, and Boston University according to Zagoria. 

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gabe-levin

I don't know much about Levin, but I love his size. Ferry is really trying to put some beef on the court. I love it. I would love to see a team that can bang inside. Shades of Red Manning. Villanova, and LaSalle are still complaining about the Nelsons. 

Hey, after Florida Gulf Coast, high flying white guys are the new trend. (LOL! Tongue in cheek, before anyone gets offended, but the kid does have hops)

Board footera